What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I'd be vastly more interested in a future of directors of Fukunaga's level getting it over someone like Villeneuve or Nolan. Someone with something to prove still, seems right.

I agree; Bond doesn’t need an auteur.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Like it or not the most successful Bond ever was directed by an auteur.
    Not saying Bond needs an A-list director every time, but Nolan would make the next release the biggest Bond event since Thunderball.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    matt_u wrote: »
    Not saying Bond needs an A-list director every time, but Nolan would make the next release the biggest Bond event since Thunderball.

Yep, and no matter how much I don't want this to happen, I can't argue that point @matt_u , and I agree with it totally from a business perspective. There would still be irons to work out, as in: provided that Nolan can cede or at least share in the creative development (which would also mean: if a script had a great idea, but the screenplay is lacking in execution (action, romance or female characters (the latter two being Nolan's biggest weaknesses as a writer), then the appropriate script doctors will be brought in (without threats of quitting)), then I'm sure this will be a positive union, and it's plainly obvious what tremendous "buzz" the new film would receive right off the hop.

talos7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Do we think going forward it will always be a big name in the directors chair?

Are the days of a Peter Hunt and John Glen gone?

I hope not. Fukunaga wasn't exactly a big name though, so there's hope.

Indeed, but he was a plan B hire after other plan A , prestige candidates didn’t pan out.

Well maybe that'll inspire Eon for next time.
    peter wrote: »

Yep, and no matter how much I don't want this to happen, I can't argue that point @matt_u , and I agree with it totally from a business perspective. There would still be irons to work out, as in: provided that Nolan can cede or at least share in the creative development (which would also mean: if a script had a great idea, but the screenplay is lacking in execution (action, romance or female characters (the latter two being Nolan's biggest weaknesses as a writer), then the appropriate script doctors will be brought in (without threats of quitting)), then I'm sure this will be a positive union, and it's plainly obvious what tremendous "buzz" the new film would receive right off the hop.

Controversial opinion, but I really don’t think Nolan’s name is quite the draw people think it is for Bond.

I mean, if you know his work then it’s a bonus, but generally speaking those who already do are likely part of demographics who will go to see the new Bond film regardless. His name likely won’t attract new viewers in this sense. Also the average non-filmey viewer either won’t know or care who the director is (nor do they care about the publicity surrounding the director - case in point I know several people who went to see Oppenheimer having had no idea it was directed by Nolan. Some didn’t even know who he was despite knowing his films when told). His name doesn’t determine a large profit (another case in point being Tenet and the cold reception around it - again a chunk of people I know who saw it were actually surprised it was by the same director as The Dark Knight trilogy). When it comes to Bond a big success is determined by so many other factors outside of the director. With SF its big boost came not only from the generally favourably perceived quality of the film, but also Danny Boyle’s short ‘Bond’ film during the 2012 olympics, the four year gap between Craig’s last outing, and the 50th Bond film anniversary giving publicity that extra layer. Mende’s name wasn’t a big factor at all from what I remember.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    007HallY wrote: »

Controversial opinion, but I really don’t think Nolan’s name is quite the draw people think it is for Bond.

I mean, if you know his work then it’s a bonus, but generally speaking those who already do are likely part of demographics who will go to see the new Bond film regardless. His name likely won’t attract new viewers in this sense. Also the average non-filmey viewer either won’t know or care who the director is (nor do they care about the publicity surrounding the director - case in point I know several people who went to see Oppenheimer having had no idea it was directed by Nolan. Some didn’t even know who he was despite knowing his films when told). His name doesn’t determine a large profit (another case in point being Tenet and the cold reception around it - again a chunk of people I know who saw it were actually surprised it was by the same director as The Dark Knight trilogy). When it comes to Bond a big success is determined by so many other factors outside of the director. With SF its big boost came not only from the generally favourably perceived quality of the film, but also Danny Boyle’s short ‘Bond’ film during the 2012 olympics, the four year gap between Craig’s last outing, and the 50th Bond film anniversary giving publicity that extra layer. Mende’s name wasn’t a big factor at all from what I remember.
    For the average person in the street I'm not sure any director is a draw; however a 'name' director like Nolan will draw the enthusiasm of entertainment journalists who will convey that to a wider audience, building expectation and hype and making for a must-see movie. A director of his calibre will also make getting top actors easier. Altogether I think it would all add to a big shot in the arm for the movie, though really word of mouth is what gives a film legs. Whether the average person on the street recognises Nolan's name isn't that important, imo, it's everything that comes with it.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 487
    talos7 wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I'd be vastly more interested in a future of directors of Fukunaga's level getting it over someone like Villeneuve or Nolan. Someone with something to prove still, seems right.

I agree; Bond doesn’t need an auteur.

It’s not that Bond needs an auteur A-list director. It’s that Bond deserves one.

On a different note: today’s rumour: Matthew Vaughn. I really really hope he won’t get to direct Bond 26 as I believe he would be a completely uninspiring choice.

For the average person in the street I'm not sure any director is a draw; however a 'name' director like Nolan will draw the enthusiasm of entertainment journalists who will convey that to a wider audience, building expectation and hype and making for a must-see movie. A director of his calibre will also make getting top actors easier. Altogether I think it would all add to a big shot in the arm for the movie, though really word of mouth is what gives a film legs. Whether the average person on the street recognises Nolan's name isn't that important, imo, it's everything that comes with it.

The problem with a Bond movie in this case is that Nolan’s name won’t particularly impact this one way or the other. Big stars will already want to be attached to a Bond movie if approached with the right script, no matter who the director is (insofar as that even matters - I don’t personally think the Craig era Blofeld or Safin were improved by having Waltz/Makek play them). A Bond movie by its very nature attracts publicity and intrigue, so Nolan’s name will mean little in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, we as fans of Bond and movies really live in a bubble when it comes to these matters. Most people don’t care about directors or indeed movies in general. With big franchise films like this they already have a) a core fan base who will go and see it and b) enough casual viewers to ensure success to whatever extent. Nolan’s name is irrelevant. Like I said, he’s made films which haven’t done well in the past. A Bond film directed by him is not guaranteed to be a SF-esque success (it could be, but there’s no guarantee).

If the producers believe Nolan will make the best Bond film, they should hire him. But honestly, I think that’s up for debate. I think the PR of a hypothetical Nolan Bond is highly overemphasised.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2023 Posts: 2,934
    Agree with sandbagger1: Mendes's name brought publicity for SF in the sense that it was a talking point that a director of his standing/reputation was making a Bond film - but it was word of mouth that SF was a must-see that brought it such a huge audience, not Mendes's name.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 13,059
    From the Director of Batman Begins

Na9A.gif
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 309
    Grace Randolph reported that Mathew Vaughn is the top choice for director. This makes the report about Nolan a bit more credible considering that Vaughn was listed as a contender.

https://www.youtube.com/live/mO33jaJfqWw?si=qpA_UnkSKSuFnuyu
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead

The problem with a Bond movie in this case is that Nolan’s name won’t particularly impact this one way or the other. Big stars will already want to be attached to a Bond movie if approached with the right script, no matter who the director is (insofar as that even matters - I don’t personally think the Craig era Blofeld or Safin were improved by having Waltz/Makek play them). A Bond movie by its very nature attracts publicity and intrigue, so Nolan’s name will mean little in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, we as fans of Bond and movies really live in a bubble when it comes to these matters. Most people don’t care about directors or indeed movies in general. With big franchise films like this they already have a) a core fan base who will go and see it and b) enough casual viewers to ensure success to whatever extent. Nolan’s name is irrelevant. Like I said, he’s made films which haven’t done well in the past. A Bond film directed by him is not guaranteed to be a SF-esque success (it could be, but there’s no guarantee).

If the producers believe Nolan will make the best Bond film, they should hire him. But honestly, I think that’s up for debate. I think the PR of a hypothetical Nolan Bond is highly overemphasised.

I don't know how you can say that bond wouldn't see a Nolan bump when nolans R rated 3 hour movie about a guy few people under 30 have even heard of just outperformed the last two bond films but okay...

I don't know how you can say that bond wouldn't see a Nolan bump when nolans R rated 3 hour movie about a guy few people under 30 have even heard of just outperformed the last two bond films but okay...

Oppenheimer is an achievement, no doubt. But it’s not as though Tenet, a far more Bond-esque film, fared that well (even in the context of Covid it underperformed, and a large part of it was the perceived quality, or lack thereof, of the film). I’d argue Oppenheimer had a big boost due to its summer release and that it happened to be a ‘spectacle’ cinema film that, similar to Barbie, caught the zeitgeist. The last Bond film especially had a disadvantage due to postponed delays and even SP (regarded one of the weaker films of the series for many casual viewers) is only just under Oppenheimer in terms of box office.

Like I said, Nolan’s name won’t attract any other new demographic to the film. Film buffs who like Nolan? They’d likely go to see the next Bond anyway. Bond fans excited because of Nolan’s involvement? Dependent on the quality of the film you’re guaranteed one or two cinema viewings from that crowd regardless of the director. The average person on the street doesn’t automatically know his name, and even with the ‘director of The Dark Knight’ tagline they’ll either go to see the next Bond film or, if they feel strongly enough, won’t. Basically his name isn’t enough to guarantee a big gross, but the fact that it’s a Bond film automatically means a success on a relative margin. A Nolan Bond film could well underperform, but it won’t flop.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Burgess wrote: »
    Grace Randolph reported that Mathew Vaughn is the top choice for director. This makes the report about Nolan a bit more credible considering that Vaughn was listed as a contender.

Vaughn was rumoured as a contender by Giant Freaking Robot and their "trusted and proven sources" at least two months ago.

Red_Snow wrote: »
    Burgess wrote: »

Vaughn was rumoured as a contender by Giant Freaking Robot and their "trusted and proven sources" at least two months ago.

Fair but I’m not aware that anyone corroborated that report from a few months ago.

Here's one from left field: Robert Lepage. Mainly a stage director, but directed movies. He's a respected Canadian artist, but otherwise little known by Joe Public.
    Mathew Vaughn has said Eon wouldn’t touch him with a stick, IHO. Nor should they, IMO.
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 991
    Here's one from left field: Robert Lepage. Mainly a stage director, but directed movies. He's a respected Canadian artist, but otherwise little known by Joe Public.

I'm more of a Joe Backstage Crowd guy myself.

Bad puns aside, recently, a friend of mine told me that Zack Snyder would be an interesting choice for a Bond film director.
    "No", i said.

Bad puns aside, recently, a friend of mine told me that Zack Snyder would be an interesting choice for a Bond film director.
    "No", i said.

Your “no” has my full support.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2023 Posts: 40,492

"No", i said.

The only valid response required for a statement like that. Good on you.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Robert LePage is a great stage director/performer, but haven’t his films been more of Andy Warhol’esque type of visual experiments rather than proper films? @Ludovico , I’m more knowledgeable with his plays at Buddies at Bad Times when they’ve come to Toronto.

Has he done a more narrative film before (if so I’d like to check it out! There’s no doubting he’s an elite creator)…
  • Univex wrote: »

"No", i said.

Your “no” has my full support.

Also a big no from me.Besides, Bonds mum wasnt called Martha!
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 487
    Univex wrote: »
    Mathew Vaughn has said Eon wouldn’t touch him with a stick, IHO. Nor should they, IMO.

Agreed. I really hope that this Vaughn rumour is either completely made up or orchestrated misdirection by EON. The have fed fake rumours to certain people before, right? On a different note, don't we think that Bezos/Amazon might be putting pressure on EON to get Nolan?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Agreed. I really hope that this Vaughn rumour is either completely made up or orchestrated misdirection by EON. The have fed fake rumours to certain people before, right? On a different note, don't we think that Bezos/Amazon might be putting pressure on EON to get Nolan?

Vaughn has spy film Argylle in post-production which sounds like a Bond spoof - I just can’t see Eon asking him to do a real 007 film.

Robert LePage is a great stage director/performer, but haven’t his films been more of Andy Warhol’esque type of visual experiments rather than proper films? @Ludovico , I’m more knowledgeable with his plays at Buddies at Bad Times when they’ve come to Toronto.

Has he done a more narrative film before (if so I’d like to check it out! There’s no doubting he’s an elite creator)…

I haven't seen many of his films to be honest, but yeah they have something of a surreal feel to it from what I understand.

François Girard might be another one, albeit he directed less and I was not impressed with The Red Violin, the only film of his I watched.

Vaughn has spy film Argylle in post-production which sounds like a Bond spoof - I just can’t see Eon asking him to do a real 007 film.

And from what I’ve seen of Argylle, mainly Cavill”s hairdo, it looks ridiculous. Austin Powers kind of ridiculous.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

That’s because he already met Eon years ago when they were shopping for directors for QOS. Supposedly Broccoli disliked him out of the interview.

Given his comments on being accused of sexism, it’s not surprising why she’d not like him. Even his treatment of female characters in X-MEN: FIRST CLASS is pretty terrible.
    I recently watched the Batman trilogy again (Batman day) and it reminded my that Nolam IMHO struggles with the human/character side. This was confirmed when I googled "Nolan cold". He perhaps would be good for a return to the SC era if thats the way they wanted to go but I think he would stuggle if they wanted the more emotional style (CR. SF ) There are very few great directors who can do action and, at the same time, leave room for the relationaship side of things
  • peterpeter Toronto
    patb wrote: »
    I recently watched the Batman trilogy again (Batman day) and it reminded my that Nolam IMHO struggles with the human/character side. This was confirmed when I googled "Nolan cold". He perhaps would be good for a return to the SC era if thats the way they wanted to go but I think he would stuggle if they wanted the more emotional style (CR. SF ) There are very few great directors who can do action and, at the same time, leave room for the relationaship side of things

I agree wholeheartedly, @patb