Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    The Paramount logo was only featured for contractual reasons, and I bet Disney didn’t want to give any special treatment to that out of corporate egotism. This is why this is the only LucasFilm production to open with the Disney castle logo. They wanted to make sure audiences knew this was their film and not Paramount’s, whereas their Star Wars only opened with the LucasFilm logo.

That’s just my own supposition.
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    The lack of the Raiders' March playing over the end credits seems quite a logical way of making it clear that this was Indy's final adventure. In the first four, I always took it to indicate that the saga will go on.

No you didn't, you fibber! :)

The Last Crusade, everyone thought that would be the last one (including Williams and Spielberg), and the end march worked perfectly there.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Fibber. That's actually a new word for me to have learned, but now I looked it up. But no, I think I wrote actually after my first watching of DOD on 30 June that I considered the Raiders' March in the end credits the equivalent of "James Bond Will Return"... although I have my doubts whether the latter should have belonged into the NTTD end credits.
  • j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Fibber. That's actually a new word for me to have learned, but now I looked it up. But no, I think I wrote actually after my first watching of DOD on 30 June that I considered the Raiders' March in the end credits the equivalent of "James Bond Will Return"... although I have my doubts whether the latter should have belonged into the NTTD end credits.

I think Raiders and TOD, yes I agree. But Last Crusade did feel like the end wrap up of the trilogy. I certainly didn't think there would be another Indy after that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2023 Posts: 14,990
    I'm glad there was though. Skull might not've been great but there are still good parts to it, and I thought that Dial was a genuinely good film and made good sense of having an adventure with an old Indy.
    Plus they gave us two new brilliant John Williams scores (I love Helena's Theme and think it's up there with the best of Indy) and two gorgeous posters too.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm just spending my evening surfing on the internet (like here), not really surprising, but this time listening to the score of DOD on my headphones while doing that. Even though it is a cheap (paid less than 40 euros for it) bluetooth headphone and the music comes from YouTube in MP3 quality (as Disney doesn't seem to want to release it in a lossless and physical version), the score is, in my opinion, probably one of the best that John Williams ever composed, and probably the best overall of the Indiana Jones movies. It's a f...ing shame that it is not available in a pristinely perfect version. I'd spend more on it than on almost any of the CDs I bought during the last 40 years or so. Or give me a high-class FLAC download if you don't feel like producing disks. It's just absolutely perfect, and that's not even saying that the film itself is in the top three of IJ movies. (But No. 4 at the very least.)

What's missing on YouTube, for some strange reason, is the entire closing credits score. That's about 10 minutes (IIRC) of beautiful music, for which I insisted on remaining seated at the cinema twice, and that's another (you know what) shame.

I'd say its the worst score of the Indy movies, but still decent overall. There wasn't any memorable themes that I noticed (a typical hallmark of Williams) which was disappointing. I also think the Indy theme wasn't used enough in the movie. It didn't have any of those uplifting moments when the Indy theme plays (like in Raiders when Ford climbs onto the submarine and the crew on the other boat start cheering).

I listened through the end credits the other day (wow, there are a lot of named credits on this movie!) and was surprised not to hear the Indy march at the very end wrap the film credits up like all previous ones have done.

My other gripe with the movie having seen it again is the lack of open titles and using the Paramount logo to replicate a mountain shape. As fan service, they should have done this, and not sure why they didn't.

Agree with this.Definitely the weakest score in the series but credit to Williams still putting in good work in his nineties.

Yeah there was a distinct lack of great “ punch the air “ hero moments for Indy and triumphant uses of his theme.I think this was a result of Fords age meaning he couldn’t do as much as he used to and the film pushing Helena as the new action hero ( I do like her theme even if it’s sounds like something out of Schindlers List ).

I think it’s the depressing final twenty minutes with Indy being injured and mostly out if commision which was mostly responsible for the film getting such a poor reception from audiences.

As much as Spielberg made mistakes with Skull,I can’t imagine him ever doing this to Indy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Raiders of course ends with Indy surrendering and being tied up, out of commission. Indy is often saved by his friends and rendered powerless, that's a standard feature of the Indy films Spielberg made and it's how the character works.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yes, as I understand it some people claim that the plots of the Indy movies could have been exactly the same if Indy hadn't been in them. Example: The "divine" powers of the arc of the covenant would have killed the Nazis even if Indy hadn't been there in the first place. Though of course they might not have found the arc without Indy's knowledge of where to look. However, the solution was mostly pretty much independent from "Jonesy's" presence or non-presence.
    mtm wrote: »
    Raiders of course ends with Indy surrendering and being tied up, out of commission. Indy is often saved by his friends and rendered powerless, that's a standard feature of the Indy films Spielberg made and it's how the character works.

Indy had no choice to surrender there.He gambled that the Nazis ( And Belloq ) would believe he would blow up the Ark but Belloq called his bluff.Indy may be tied up for the climax while God wipes out the Nazis but he’s the one who effectively saves Marion by telling her to shut her eyes.

There’s no problem with Indy being saved by his colleagues.As you say it’s a standard feature of the movies but most often he’s the one doing the heroic stuff.It makes him more relatable that he’s not perfect.

However,after Indy gets shot in Dial,the film came crashing down for me.He literally takes a back seat while Helena takes over for the last act of the movie.They didn’t have to have Helena knock him out.That was just embarrassing.

If Indy had been tempted to stay in the past,but ultimately made the decision himself to go back ( With Helena reasoning to him that there are still people back in 1969 who care about him ) it MIGHT have worked.

Just my opinion of course.

AstonLotus wrote: »
    I respect your opinion, but I guess you can tell from the earlier discussion I don't share it.

The movie was designed to be the last act of Indiana Jones, appropriate to Harrison Ford's age (while he is even younger in the movie than in real life, but compared to 1969, 80 is the new 70 now), and this means you have to appreciate his powers are fading, and someone else has to support him here and there.

And under the circumstances (once one accepts the time-travel stuff, just like the face-melting ark nonsense and heart-grabbing voodoo and pseudo-christian holy grail and crystal-skull alien stuff before...I don't see any real difference in judging those, they are all fantasy on the same level) it is okay showing him as ultimately frail but stubborn, and stubborn enough for Helena to knock him out to save him by bringing him back to the present (of the film's timeline, i.e. 1969).

I find the ending after that, reconciling with Marion and giving up his adventuring, a very satisfying end to the franchise. But the film needed to show his (sort of) demise until then, rather than establish him as a septuagenarian who somehow preserved his - shall I say - superpowers? Why would there be an end then, except if they chose to kill him off like Bond in NTTD? I left this film wishing him a happy remaining lifetime with Marion. No more Nazis, no more Commies, no more Aliens, no more other fantasy creatures. He definitely deserved it.

And yes, I still think it makes sense that the end credits did not end with yet another rendition of the Raiders' March under the circumstances, since that would have signalled some kind of future continuation...probably with another actor, but I don't think that Harrison Ford could be half as easily replaced as the current actor for James Bond always was, especially since one is used to replacements for the latter, and no actor has played Bond for forty years like Harrison has Indy.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, as I understand it some people claim that the plots of the Indy movies could have been exactly the same if Indy hadn't been in them. Example: The "divine" powers of the arc of the covenant would have killed the Nazis even if Indy hadn't been there in the first place. Though of course they might not have found the arc without Indy's knowledge of where to look. However, the solution was mostly pretty much independent from "Jonesy's" presence or non-presence.

I think yes and no: really the important discovery of Raiders is Indy finding Marion again. Much like the latest film, where the most important part of the story is Indy discovering that he does have a valuable place in the world and means a lot to his friends and loved ones. Anyone who tells you that Helena is the main character and the whole film isn't entirely about Indy and his choices in the world hasn't really watched it.
    The goal in Temple isn't to find a sacred rock, it's about reuniting families and, again, Indy and his friends realising how important they are to each other.

I'd also say in Raiders that although Indy does pretty much fail at the end and become rendered powerless, he does though play a part in the plot: he stops the Ark from being taken to Germany, where the Nazis would doubtless have experimented on it until they'd been able to use it as a weapon. These are films where Indy and his friends have adventures when they're caught up in the baddies' evil schemes: they're not about him beating the bad guys, because he almost never does (Temple is pretty much the only film where he does).

Indy had no choice to surrender there.He gambled that the Nazis ( And Belloq ) would believe he would blow up the Ark but Belloq called his bluff.Indy may be tied up for the climax while God wipes out the Nazis but he’s the one who effectively saves Marion by telling her to shut her eyes.

Much like he saves Helena at the end from the Nazi pulling her out of the plane, yes. In both he's mostly powerless, but still manages to save his friend. He's not a superhero.
    They didn’t have to have Helena knock him out.That was just embarrassing.

If Indy had been tempted to stay in the past,but ultimately made the decision himself to go back ( With Helena reasoning to him that there are still people back in 1969 who care about him ) it MIGHT have worked.

No, not really: then you'd lose the scene where Indy realises he has a role in the present day when he is reunited with Marion: which is much more cinematic because we actually see it happening. Also, if he just realised that Helena was right in Syracuse.. how would that even work? He just says "Hmm, okay I guess you're right". That's very dull and you'd still have the power in Helena's hands, which seems to be the problem for you - the punch is a brilliant moment. The idea that he has to be the perfect hero or the one making all of the decisions just isn't what these films are.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

I think yes and no: really the important discovery of Raiders is Indy finding Marion again. Much like the latest film, where the most important part of the story is Indy discovering that he does have a valuable place in the world and means a lot to his friends and loved ones. Anyone who tells you that Helena is the main character and the whole film isn't entirely about Indy and his choices in the world hasn't really watched it.
    The goal in Temple isn't to find a sacred rock, it's about reuniting families and, again, Indy and his friends realising how important they are to each other.

I'd also say in Raiders that although Indy does pretty much fail at the end and become rendered powerless, he does though play a part in the plot: he stops the Ark from being taken to Germany, where the Nazis would doubtless have experimented on it until they'd been able to use it as a weapon. These are films where Indy and his friends have adventures when they're caught up in the baddies' evil schemes: they're not about him beating the bad guys, because he almost never does (Temple is pretty much the only film where he does).

Much like he saves Helena at the end from the Nazi pulling her out of the plane, yes. In both he's mostly powerless, but still manages to save his friend. He's not a superhero.
    They didn’t have to have Helena knock him out.That was just embarrassing.

No, not really: then you'd lose the scene where Indy realises he has a role in the present day when he is reunited with Marion: which is much more cinematic because we actually see it happening. Also, if he just realised that Helena was right in Syracuse.. how would that even work? He just says "Hmm, okay I guess you're right". That's very dull and you'd still have the power in Helena's hands, which seems to be the problem for you - the punch is a brilliant moment. The idea that he has to be the perfect hero or the one making all of the decisions just isn't what these films are.

Another 'I was gonna post something, but mtm said it better' moment.
    I respect your opinion, but I guess you can tell from the earlier discussion I don't share it.

The movie was designed to be the last act of Indiana Jones, appropriate to Harrison Ford's age (while he is even younger in the movie than in real life, but compared to 1969, 80 is the new 70 now), and this means you have to appreciate his powers are fading, and someone else has to support him here and there.

And under the circumstances (once one accepts the time-travel stuff, just like the face-melting ark nonsense and heart-grabbing voodoo and pseudo-christian holy grail and crystal-skull alien stuff before...I don't see any real difference in judging those, they are all fantasy on the same level) it is okay showing him as ultimately frail but stubborn, and stubborn enough for Helena to knock him out to save him by bringing him back to the present (of the film's timeline, i.e. 1969).

I find the ending after that, reconciling with Marion and giving up his adventuring, a very satisfying end to the franchise. But the film needed to show his (sort of) demise until then, rather than establish him as a septuagenarian who somehow preserved his - shall I say - superpowers? Why would there be an end then, except if they chose to kill him off like Bond in NTTD? I left this film wishing him a happy remaining lifetime with Marion. No more Nazis, no more Commies, no more Aliens, no more other fantasy creatures. He definitely deserved it.

And yes, I still think it makes sense that the end credits did not end with yet another rendition of the Raiders' March under the circumstances, since that would have signalled some kind of future continuation...probably with another actor, but I don't think that Harrison Ford could be half as easily replaced as the current actor for James Bond always was, especially since one is used to replacements for the latter, and no actor has played Bond for forty years like Harrison has Indy.

Crystal Skull ended with him being reunited with Marion,marrying her and reunited with his family.As poor as Crystal Skull is,that a pretty perfect ending for Indy.

Dial undoes that and reunites him with Marion ( for the third time in this franchise ) except he’s now lost his son.( I don’t know what it is about KK destroying families in Lucasfilm properties).

Dial isn’t a terrible film but given its poor reception,it really shouldn’t have been made.If they wanted to continue the franchise they should have just reboot with a new actor and set it in the 1930s.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It should have been made because it's a good film, and most of the Indy fans love it. Ford is also superb in it, I'd have hated it if we'd been deprived one more great Ford performance.
    Kathleen Kennedy was Exec Producer on Crystal Skull too, so your point doesn't really make any sense.
    It should have been made because it's a good film, and most of the Indy fans love it. Ford is also superb in it, I'd have hated it if we'd been deprived one more great Ford performance.
    Kathleen Kennedy was Exec Producer on Crystal Skull too, so your point doesn't really make any sense.

I agree with you. It's a good film and the dedicated Indy fans deserved to experience Indy in his twilight years. I loved the film. It's sad it failed to take off at the box office like the previous films, but I suspect that is because this time the gap between films was just too long, and the younger audience simply do not have the same connection to Indy. If Bond was left for nearly 15 years, I think Eon might face the same problem.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I agree with you. It's a good film and the dedicated Indy fans deserved to experience Indy in his twilight years. I loved the film. It's sad it failed to take off at the box office like the previous films, but I suspect that is because this time the gap between films was just too long, and the younger audience simply do not have the same connection to Indy. If Bond was left for nearly 15 years, I think Eon might face the same problem.

Very good point, any series that wants longevity needs to stay relevant. To truly be successful is to set the standard be ahead of everyone else, which is exactly what the earlier Indy and Bond films did, they were the benchmark that others tried to replicate.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Yes, I think it's that. I think the bad press from the weirdos on YouTube didn't help, and also just big movies in generally have found it hard and unpredictable going this year. It's all been quite odd.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,407
    Watching the beginning of DOD again now, I cheered for a moment when Indy was running on top of the train 'Go CGI Indy, go!'.

Joking aside I never want them to make a CGI Sean Connery Bond film ever, as much as the Deep Fake and AI technology improves the characters lack one vital thing... a soul.
  • edited September 2023 Posts: 1,394

The movie was a massive flop so I think it’s fair to say that most Indy fans did not enjoy it.Glad for those that did though.

KK was not the creative force behind Crystal Skull.She was basically a glorified secretary on the first four Indy’s.Lucas and Spielberg were the creative force on them ( Three out of four is not a bad batting average though )

KK was the main creative force and producer of both Solo and Indy 5.

They both went massively over budget and had massive reshoots.

They both had Phoebe Waller Bridge in them.

They both flopped.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The movie was a massive flop so I think it’s fair to say that most Indy fans did not enjoy it.

Maybe they misjudged the number of Indiana Jones' fans that are actually out there. If most Indy fans didn't enjoy it, they would have still seen it in order to not enjoy it. Which means it wouldn't have flopped regardless of how good it was!
    KK was not the creative force behind Crystal Skull.She was basically a glorified secretary on the first four Indy’s.

That's not what an Executive Producer is, no.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2023 Posts: 40,492
    I think the initial reviews didn't help (later reviews were a lot more positive though) and a $300 million+ budget almost ensured it'd flop at the box office.

The movie was a massive flop so I think it’s fair to say that most Indy fans did not enjoy it.Glad for those that did though.

KK was not the creative force behind Crystal Skull.She was basically a glorified secretary on the first four Indy’s.Lucas and Spielberg were the creative force on them ( Three out of four is not a bad batting average though )

KK was the main creative force and producer of both Solo and Indy 5.

They both went massively over budget and had massive reshoots.

They both had Phoebe Waller Bridge in them.

They both flopped.

That's too simplistic, my friend. All the Indy fans I know, and I know a hell of a lot of them thru Facebook and social media - I'm a screenwriter and producer and director - really did enjoy the film. The broader public, and I mean the younger audience, just did not connect - perhaps because it had no relevance to them.
    The film is not very good, you can barely identify where one act begins and ends its very repetitive and there is barely a story.

The villains just randomly turns up as plot requires, at least KOTCS had something that resembled fun and a narrative.

I switched it off on third watch as found it depressing and could not think of anything in the film worth looking forward to.

PWB is an appalling character and kills the film for me, Indy is treated with disrespect which I do not like.

DOD makes me quite angry how they mistreated Indy;s character.

After everything Indy did he lives in a crappy flat, come on that is BS.

I do not blame Mangold, this is all down to the studio.

Where should he have lived? A penthouse apartment?

Not a very good counter argument, you know what I meant.
    DOD completely lacks the charm and paiic of the previous films, it falls flat for me.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 2023 Posts: 5,985

Crystal Skull ended with him being reunited with Marion,marrying her and reunited with his family.As poor as Crystal Skull is,that a pretty perfect ending for Indy.

Dial undoes that and reunites him with Marion ( for the third time in this franchise ) except he’s now lost his son.( I don’t know what it is about KK destroying families in Lucasfilm properties).

Dial isn’t a terrible film but given its poor reception,it really shouldn’t have been made.If they wanted to continue the franchise they should have just reboot with a new actor and set it in the 1930s.

Sounds like the same criticisms of NTTD and Barbara Broccoli...blaming one woman while forgetting the many men (including the director and screenwriters) who are part of the franchise.

I think recasting Ford would be a huge mistake. It would be like Connery retiring from Bond in 1971 and then the franchise not launching another movie until 1987.
    The parade is the best set piece.

Not a very good counter argument, you know what I meant.

I wasn't counter-arguing. I'm legitimately asking where you would have seen Indy living. He didn't exactly live in the most stylish of places in the Spielberg films, either. I always saw that as part of the character - he was not the sort to be satisfied with cozy home living.
    Whether you like the film or not total repect to Ford's athleticism at his age.