Bond films-The Kiss of Death?

2»

Comments

• echo wrote:
    I think that in the early years they were casting the Bond girls primarily for looks and the rest of the cast primarily for their low cost (e.g. Celi), so they weren't exactly actors who would go on to huge careers after Bond.
    But that has been changing in recent decades: many of the main actors from the Brosnan era forward have had substantial careers. GE: Brosnan, Bean, Dench, Janssen, Cumming, Driver, Coltrane. TND: Yeoh, Pryce, Hatcher. TWINE: Marceau. DAD: Berry, Pike. CR: Craig, Green, Mikkelsen, Wright, Christensen, Menzies. QoS: Amalric, Kurylenko (still working steadily).

For the most part this is true, but Robert Shaw had a pretty successful career after FRWL. Also Telly Salvalas went on to become Kojak.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I remember Jonathan Pryce on Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2012 Posts: 2,629
    Jane Seymour didn't do too bad for herself after playing Solitaire.
  • NSNA probably had the most successful cast. Connery, and Von Sydow were already stars, but Kim Bassinger and Rowan Atkinon were still relatively unknown.
    Yes, but it wasn't his best one. Far from it.

But do that experience: Ask non-Bond fans who was the main Bond Girl in any Bond movie. Chances are, they won't even remember. For example, In France, it would be very difficult to fin somebody who has even heard of Claudine Auger.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,015
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Other actors anyone?

DC's baddies did very well : since they did their 007 movie, both Mad Mikkelsen and Mathieu Amalric received prestigious awards at Cannes (best actor for the former in 2012, best director for the latter in 2010). To my knowledge, nothing since then for Jesper Christensen though :)
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Not only is she my least favourite Bond girl, Kurylenko was in the Max Payne and Hitman movies, it's like the girl wants me to hate her.

Anyway, Eva Green has done a few successful films after Bond I think, saw her in Dark Shadows (which also had Christopher Lee in it, and Alice Cooper, who loves Bond, so there's a few Bond links in that film).

And Famke Janssen is doing pretty well, especially with the Taken series, the 2nd film is sure to be a hit like the first one and there could be more afterwards.

Kurylenko has been getting a bit of mileage out of cable TV as of late. She did some spots for the Encore Bondathon running this month and has been a steady character on the STARZ series "Magic City". So she has been working and keeping a public profile.

Overall, being a Bond girl has been a plum role because millions and millions have seen them and they will be remembered for posterity in generations to come. Maryam D'Abo talks about this in "Bond Girls Are Forever" and all the actresses interviewed feel there is an "immortal quality" about being in a Bond film. But it is definitely not a guarantee of a big career ahead and there has always been a fear of typecasting that many talented actresses have seemingly tried to avoid by not appearing. I may be harsh on some of them, but one thing I will always do is credit them for taking the chance.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Other actors anyone?

DC's baddies did very well : since they did their 007 movie, both Mad Mikkelsen and Mathieu Amalric received prestigious awards at Cannes (best actor for the former in 2012, best director for the latter in 2010). To my knowledge, nothing since then for Jesper Christensen though :)

Wasn't Amalric at 'The Fifth Element' with Bruce Willis?
    Rog, in a "Best Of British" special on him, said that the scripts that came in were the same kind he had done previously .... "bangs and explosions"....something he wanted to get away from. He said that he thought he'd like to play villains (remember he has said he'd like to play a Bond villain). But, he said that people responded that playing villains would interfere with his image in terms of the work he does for children through UNICEF. So, it was tough to find suitable scripts.

I thought his work on a Christmas movie last year was superb, if for no other reason than for the treat to see a Bond legend perform at least one more time. I recall one of his co-stars saying that there would be other Christmas movies. But hers was the only one that had James Bond. So, I think it was a treat for his co-stars to work with him as well.