Bond films-The Kiss of Death?

edited July 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,341
Maybe this has been hashed before, maybe not. Since we have been bashing on Bond women what became of them after their Bond days? Some will say the films sent careers to the sewers while some may have used the Bond film to jumpstart their careers. Others were well established actresses and went on to greatness while others just fizzled out.

The one that comes to mind is Halle Berry
After winning the Best Actress Oscar and appearing in DAD, her career has gone straight to the outhouse. After some bad roles in several films like Catwoman, she has setteled into playing in low budget indie films and taking care of her child.
Diana Rigg was established when she played in OHMSS and afterwards she returned to her first love: the stage where she has enjoyed a great career.
Jill St John was established as a sex symbol in the 1960's and after heating up the screen in DAF she just vanished...
Jane Seymour went on to a successful career in film and television following LALD
Many of the early actresses were better known or just starting out in Europe and never heard from again.
Examples: Daniella Biachi, Claudine Auger, Luciana Paluzzi complained of difficulty finding good roles in her native Italy after TB,
Some were just sub par actresses and never had a career before or after Bond: Olga Kuryenko, Lois Chiles, Talisha Soto, Barbara Bach, Tanya Roberts, Denise Richards...

Aside from the few examples above I would say that for actresses Bond is the Kiss of Death. Sad because I would think that Bond with the large world wide audience would really elevate them to stardom but not.

Comments

OHMSS69 wrote:
    Some were just sub par actresses and never had a career before or after Bond: Olga Kuryenko, Lois Chiles, Talisha Soto, Barbara Bach, Tanya Roberts, Denise Richards...

Denise Richards did Starship Troopers before TWINE. And that film is amazing. Seriously, one of my favourite films ever. Though I agree with you, she's a terrible actress and her career went nowhere after Bond. More because of how bad she is, I think, than because of Bond.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Berry has had some good films post-Bond. 'Things We Lost In The Fire' is a very touching, upsetting film, 'Frankie & Alice' was excellent, apparently, and she is in the upcoming Wachowski film 'Cloud Atlas.' Granted, it goes without saying she's had quite a few flops throughout then.
  • Ursula resorted to being in a spoof about Bond, as did Daniela Bianchi.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I've saw Olga Kurylenko in a movie she did back in 2007, the movie of the game Hitman 47.

Denise Richards, i've seen her in a movie like 2007 too, she did it with Pamela Anderson. Terrible movie, i recommend you to not even search for it.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    I've saw Olga Kurylenko in a movie she did back in 2007, the movie of the game Hitman 47.

Denise Richards, i've seen her in a movie like 2007 too, she did it with Pamela Anderson. Terrible movie, i recommend you to not even search for it.

Indeed. While the films that Kurylenko did weren't the best out there, they were still big films: 'Hitman,' 'Max Payne,' and she'll soon be seen in 'Oblivion' and Malick's 'To The Wonder.'
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Not only is she my least favourite Bond girl, Kurylenko was in the Max Payne and Hitman movies, it's like the girl wants me to hate her.

Anyway, Eva Green has done a few successful films after Bond I think, saw her in Dark Shadows (which also had Christopher Lee in it, and Alice Cooper, who loves Bond, so there's a few Bond links in that film).

And Famke Janesson is doing pretty well, especially with the Taken series, the 2nd film is sure to be a hit like the first one and there could be more afterwards.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'know, it's not just the Bond women. George Lazenby didn't exactly have the best career after OHMSS. Roger Moore hasn't done that well since AVTAK. It took Dalton years to get back on his feet (but he's done so). The only two Bonds who've had good post-Bond careers were Connery and Brosnan. And Craig is the only one who's had a decent career alongside Bond as well.
    Y'know, it's not just the Bond women. George Lazenby didn't exactly have the best career after OHMSS. Roger Moore hasn't done that well since AVTAK. It took Dalton years to get back on his feet (but he's done so). The only two Bonds who've had good post-Bond careers were Connery and Brosnan. And Craig is the only one who's had a decent career alongside Bond as well.

That's true. Although I'd say Brosnan had a decent career alongside Bond as well as after it, he did some great films, like Taylor Of Panama, and Thomas Crown Affair.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Not only is she my least favourite Bond girl, Kurylenko was in the Max Payne and Hitman movies, it's like the girl wants me to hate her.

Anyway, Eva Green has done a few successful films after Bond I think, saw her in Dark Shadows (which also had Christopher Lee in it, and Alice Cooper, who loves Bond, so there's a few Bond links in that film).

And Famke Janesson is doing pretty well, especially with the Taken series, the 2nd film is sure to be a hit like the first one and there could be more afterwards.

Gotta be honest, i love all the Bond girls that exists since GE, With the exception of Jinx. Even Miranda Frost's one of my good ones.
    Olga did good a QoS. Famke Janssen has been great since X-Men.
    @thelivingroyale
    My gosh! I forgot about Famke Janssen. she has done very well for herself post GE.

In regard to the men, Brosnan was well established and has gone on to good roles since his days in bondage.
    Moore was 57 when he quit Bond and basically retired. He could have done some paternal / grandfatherly roles but he chose to retire and devote his time to meaningful causes.
    don't want to get into a discussion about Bond actors but I wanted to mention that Christopher Walken has managed to carve out a respectable career since AVTAK. despite winning a best Actor Oscar in 1979, he was unknown until AVTAK and he has parlayed his post Bond era quite successfully.

Other actors anyone?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Benicio del Toro has done very well for himself since LTK.
    I've always been entertained by piecing together Bond actors and actresses in other films, such as Benicio del Toro and Halle Berry in 'Things We Lost In The Fire,' or father-son duo Drax and Greene, respectively, in 'Munich,' alongside Daniel Craig.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,639
    Scorupco had several offers but consentrated on family instead.....Bianchi did what many actresses did back then : married a rich man ;)

Walken unknown pre-AVTAK (Brainstorm , Dead Zone......hardly small potatoes ?)

It's actually possible they only wanted Moore to continue to play secret agent kind of roles and that he wanted to try something else but they wouldn't budge.....only Moore knows the truth.
    Robert Davi was involved in a lot of good work around the time of License to Kill, but haven't seen much of him the last few years. Talisa Soto also appeared in some minor releases, best forgotten for the most part, after 1989 also. Del Toro was probably the most successful of that years release without question. Alison Doody after AVTAK featured in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade with Connery and some minor Brosnan film, Taffin, I almost forgot the title, amongst others
    I hadn't noticed that Davi was in 'Die Hard' until a few years ago, alongside Andreas Wisniewski.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Tracy wrote:
    Scorupco had several offers but consentrated on family instead.....Bianchi did what many actresses did back then : married a rich man ;)

It's actually possible they only wanted Moore to continue to play secret agent kind of roles and that he wanted to try something else but they wouldn't budge.....only Moore knows the truth.
    I'm not sure that's true about Walken being unknown...he won an Oscar in for The Deer Hunter and that was '78 or '79.
    Not only was Davi in Die Hard, (and Necros), but also Grand L Bush (DEA agent from License to Kill)

heh, Walken was around long before AVTAK - The Deer Hunter (1978), The Dogs of War (1980), Annie Hall (1977) to name but a few, and quite well known too..
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I've always been entertained by piecing together Bond actors and actresses in other films, such as Benicio del Toro and Halle Berry in 'Things We Lost In The Fire,' or father-son duo Drax and Greene, respectively, in 'Munich,' alongside Daniel Craig.

funny you should say that because there is an episode of Remington Steele with Brosnan interacting with Vincent Schiavelli almost 10 years before TND! I believe the episode was called..."Steele on the Air."
    @Murdock, no way, really? I only got through a few episodes of the first season through Netflix before I cancelled it, so it's a real shame that I didn't get to see that episode. I bet that was entertaining to see.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, no way, really? I only got through a few episodes of the first season through Netflix before I cancelled it, so it's a real shame that I didn't get to see that episode. I bet that was entertaining to see.

Yeah, Shaiavelli plays like the Stereotypical 80's Film Agent Radio DJ type. it's from Season 4. It was pretty good.
  • oo7oo7
    I think some actresses see bond as a high point that they then no longer need try so hard. tina turner as a singer was an example, she does bond she just went away.
    alot of other ladies mentioned like jill st john went on to have families. Denise Richards had a few kids with sheen, now i think she lives mostly off advertising revenue.

Barbara Bach went on to take her education further after about 20 years in the business
    to say Olga Kuryenko was sub par is to comment on her film and script in quantum of solace. if you look at her work she is clearly been steady in work before and since, a year may be missing due to intense post production on some projects?
    SJK91 wrote:
    Tracy wrote:

I'm not sure that's true about Walken being unknown...he won an Oscar in for The Deer Hunter and that was '78 or '79.

Note : I wrote "hardly small potatoes" , meaning he *was* famous pre-AVTAK......natch after AVTAK he would play more and more "unstable" people. As Nick from Deer Hunter , even in that part you can see some of his insanity "trademark" showing thru.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think that in the early years they were casting the Bond girls primarily for looks and the rest of the cast primarily for their low cost (e.g. Celi), so they weren't exactly actors who would go on to huge careers after Bond.

But that has been changing in recent decades: many of the main actors from the Brosnan era forward have had substantial careers. GE: Brosnan, Bean, Dench, Janssen, Cumming, Driver, Coltrane. TND: Yeoh, Pryce, Hatcher. TWINE: Marceau. DAD: Berry, Pike. CR: Craig, Green, Mikkelsen, Wright, Christensen, Menzies. QoS: Amalric, Kurylenko (still working steadily).
    Overall i think it comes down to a persons drive and energy to move on and just simply get on with it. You will be remembered as part of the Bond film, so carry on see what else you can get and use it as a selling point! Berenice Marlohe may set that very example. Fairplay to her for getting a role in Skyfall after what she did to get the part. =D>

To put it simply. Just like in the REAL world? You have to go out and find work like everyone else.
    I don't think being a Bond girl has thing to do with one's career. It's the type of actresses the producers cast, most are attractive, but without much acting skill.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

That's true. Although I'd say Brosnan had a decent career alongside Bond as well as after it, he did some great films, like Taylor Of Panama, and Thomas Crown Affair.

Brosnan didn't do bad movies alongside Bond, but his real non-Bond success didn't come until after Bond. Unlike Craig, the films Brosnan did alongside Bond were pretty much overshadowed by his Bond career.
    Lazenby had no career before or after Bond. He could have had he not been such a jackass.
    Halle turned in such a bad performance in DAD. Maybe the fact that she was stunt casted and used to sell the film that she felt she was all that and a bag of chips, hench her taking bad roles post DAD.
    Benicio Del Toro has done very well for himself winning an Oscar some years after his Bond movie. Unlike Walken and Berry they won theirs prior to Bond but he like Sir Sean got his oscar years later.
    As they say "better to be remembered for something than nothing".......
    I always thought that Bond movies were for Bond Girls what the Eurovision Song Contest was for the winners: with a few exceptions, it's the only high point in their respective careers. Afterwards, at best they are known only in their own country, or disappear from view completely.
    Didn't Karin Dor do a Hitchcock movie post-YOLT......no rules w/o exceptions ;)