Would you rather have the charm of Roger Moore's Bond or the intensity of Daniel Craig's Bond?

Comments

• edited August 2023 Posts: 6,677
    A femme fatale with a black g string training outfit like May Day's would be...nice.
    :P
    They don't go for that sort of thing anymore, alas. But when I was a kid, that was really...informative.

But yes, @Benny, you said it better, a "well written and cast Femme Fatale, and we'll have a winner on our hands". But with the g string outfit...
    Why can't we have a hulking femme fatal?

If she's hulking, she's no femme fatale. The term implies sexual attractiveness. She's dangerous because she can lead the hero to his doom, through charm and manipulation, not physical powers.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,392
    Benny wrote: »
    A femme fatale, we've had countless hulking henchman, and nobody has done it better than Robert Shaw as Red Grant.
    Fiona Volpe is the femme fatale that all of them get measured by. If somehow the film makers can make a modern version of her, then we'd be very lucky. Helga Brandt was just a carbon copy of Fiona, but not quite as good. But not terrible. Is MayDay the next?
    She started off great, but then inexplicably changed sides at the end. Considering all that she had done with Zorin, being (almost) drowned, you'd think she wouldn't have changed her allegiance so quickly. If she'd stayed villainous and Bond had killed her, she would be more memorable and a better character, imo.
    Xenia was great, and never stopped being a villain, although she was a little cartoonish in her portrayal. Easily the best after Fiona.
    So, a great, well written and cast Femme Fatale, and we'll have a winner on our hands.

Don't forget Fatima Blush, although she's in a non-EON Bond film.

Also, Naomi from TSWLM too (although she's a bit underdeveloped (we'd never got to know more of her) to be memorable and she had very brief appearance (almost on par with Paloma in NTTD), so I think she's a bit weak as a character, so not great.

Miranda Frost was just unfortunate to be in a mediocre Bond film, DAD, but I've thought she had the potential, she could've been one of the best femme fatales had DAD turned out to be a good Bond film.

Valenka from CR, meh, she's mostly passive in the film, and I don't remember her interacting with Bond either.

Lucia Sciarra in SP was probably the most interesting, but alas.

So, yes, there has never been a great femme fatale like Fiona Volpe, I mean in terms of balancing the grounded-ness and the viciousness of the character.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    A femme fatale, we've had countless hulking henchman, and nobody has done it better than Robert Shaw as Red Grant.
    Fiona Volpe is the femme fatale that all of them get measured by. If somehow the film makers can make a modern version of her, then we'd be very lucky. Helga Brandt was just a carbon copy of Fiona, but not quite as good. But not terrible. Is MayDay the next?
    She started off great, but then inexplicably changed sides at the end. Considering all that she had done with Zorin, being (almost) drowned, you'd think she wouldn't have changed her allegiance so quickly. If she'd stayed villainous and Bond had killed her, she would be more memorable and a better character, imo.
    Xenia was great, and never stopped being a villain, although she was a little cartoonish in her portrayal. Easily the best after Fiona.
    So, a great, well written and cast Femme Fatale, and we'll have a winner on our hands.

Don't forget Fatima Blush, although she's in a non-EON Bond film.

Also, Naomi from TSWLM too (although she's a bit underdeveloped (we'd never got to know more of her) to be memorable and she had very brief appearance (almost on par with Paloma in NTTD), so I think she's a bit weak as a character, so not great.

Miranda Frost was just unfortunate to be in a mediocre Bond film, DAD, but I've thought she had the potential, she could've been one of the best femme fatales had DAD turned out to be a good Bond film.

Valenka from CR, meh, she's mostly passive in the film, and I don't remember her interacting with Bond either.

Lucia Sciarra in SP was probably the most interesting, but alas.

So, yes, there has never been a great femme fatale like Fiona Volpe, I mean in terms of balancing the grounded-ness and the viciousness of the character.

Lucia Sciarra is not a femme fatale: she's more a damsel (or in her case a widow) in distress. She does not lead or try to lead to men to their doom. She's married to Bluebeard, so to speak. Valenka is just Le Chiffre's girlfriend, both an accomplice and a victim.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited August 2023 Posts: 4,996
    Great stuff and good dialogue folks.

Lets change it up and see how this one goes over.

In two films Bond is seen enjoying time in a montage setting with the leading lady of the film. OHMSS Bond and Tracy are seen hanging around the beach, riding horses, spending evenings in the gardens, all taking place in Portugal. FYEO Bond and Melina are seen walking and talking with various merchants in Corfu, taking in the local dance performances and ending up on the overlook of a beautiful bay.

So dear Mi6 folks! What location would you rather spend time with your romantic partner, hanging out in Portugal a la OHMSS OR hanging out in Corfu like in FYEO?

This could be taken anywhere you wish. Having not been to either country this is coming down to what the characters are doing in each sequence. I enjoy being in a town with people and taking in the sights so I would rather spend time in a little Greek town.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Hanging out in Corfu. A little mingling in the town then ending on the Achilleion balcony for some alone time. The events of the day would also add more to the conversation.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Corfu, for the moonlight swims.
    Well...we do live in Portugal, so I'd say Corfu.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Corfu for me. Stunning.
    I liked both! It depends:

Although Corfu is a more stunning location and more exotic/uncommon than Portugal, I don't feel any romantic vibe in there, but it's good for travelling or hanging out with friends or just enjoy yourself when you have a free time or good for vacation, but not much for romantic things like date.

Portugal, on the other hand, though more now of a common location, has that romantic vibe in there, imagine myself in a date with guitarist playing romantic songs (something that Corfu lacked), I mean it's similar to a Spanish date with Flamenco guitarist while you're having a date.

So, for that matter, I'd say Portugal.
    Corfu.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 565
    Considering I literally took my wife on a trip to Portugal this year, I guess that answers it for me. To that point Portugal does have some stunning locations, particularly if you consider its island territories in the Atlantic. Also nothing is more romantic than some Port Wine while listening to Fado.
    JamesStock wrote: »
    Considering I literally took my wife on a trip to Portugal this year, I guess that answers it for me. To that point Portugal does have some stunning locations, particularly if you consider its island territories in the Atlantic. Also nothing is more romantic than some Port Wine while listening to Fado.

You went to the Azores? Now that would be stunning for the next Bond.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Wow! A virtual sweep, that one somewhat surprised me as I thought it would be closer. Goes to show you never know.

Okay lets do another one and see if this one is more contentious

Would you rather a new Bond be introduced with some mystery OR introduced in the film in an ordinary way?

When we look back on the series we find that Connery, Lazenby, and Dalton were introduced with some mystery, the actor's face was unseen for a bit, focus on hands and back. Then introduced with a flourish. Connery and Lazenby got to say the famous "Bond, James Bond" to boot. Dalton got a wonderful reveal but no dialogue.

Moore was introduced as Bond in his flat. No hiding him and not exactly an action packed or cool reveal. Craig was somewhat mysterious in the black and white, full on fight and then the cool kill. But he wasn't exactly hidden from the audience.

Not sure where to put Brosnan's reveal. Hidden from view on the dam, first seen upside down in the washroom stall. Delivers a quip. I guess it's in between.

So what would you rather for the next chap, full reveal with no difference from other characters, OR a sense of mystery and a grand reveal?
    Revealed normally / without fanfare would be nice for a change. Moore’s basically the only one who’s had it that way so far.
    I like a fanfare if done properly. Dalton comes to mind, and so does Pierce.
  • Only to concur neither would be suitable. Tarantino's genre of movie is far detached from what Bond viewers resemble, at least those of an older age who can recall things (far) before CGI and generally 'straight' action.

Both names are recognized high-caliber directors but given the choice right now I'd pick Spielberg to front it. Maybe in time I'd choose different but that's what we're going with right of now.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Definitely a sense of mystery and a grand reveal

thedove wrote: »
    When we look back on the series we find that Connery, Lazenby, and Dalton were introduced with some mystery, the actor's face was unseen for a bit, focus on hands and back. Then introduced with a flourish. Connery and Lazenby got to say the famous "Bond, James Bond" to boot. Dalton got a wonderful reveal but no dialogue.

I would say Connery got to "live twice" concerning this topic since his entrance in DAF was like a 2nd grand reveal for his Bond after a one-picture absence in a manner not too dissimilar from Dalton's and Lazenby's.

A bit of mystery beforehand is great. It teases the viewer a little, keeping them engaged until the big reveal.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 565
    Univex wrote: »
    JamesStock wrote: »

You went to the Azores? Now that would be stunning for the next Bond.
    It does give a good villain lair vibe, no?

But I ended up going to Madeira instead. Also a beautiful island, especially being above the clouds at any of its peaks.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'd love something of a mixture of Timothy and Pierce's reveal. Timothy's turn to camera and then burst into action was perfect for his Bond. Had they revealed Brosnan in that shot after the bathroom, were his face comes out the shadows, that would have been the perfect reveal.

A suspense, action filled pre title sequence
    We open with the bad guys pulling off a caper. Bad guy Mr. X is congratulated on the brilliance of the caper before he turns on his fellow henchmen to reveal he's really Bond, James Bond. This way Bond is introduced twice. Because twice is the only way to.......
    edited August 2023 Posts: 3,392
    Keep (and introduce) it in mystery.....

Make the introduction mysterious, adapt the third act of The Spy Who Loved Me novel with that Motel scenes.

It's rainy or stormy like in the book.
    Someone would knock the door while the gangsters are going to kill Vivienne.
    Vivienne opened the door, and there's this man in raincoat whose face was in shadow because of the hood.
    Vivienne Michel asked: Who are you?

The mysterious man in the raincoat revealed his face and replied (and he's in a hurry to get inside): My name's Bond, James Bond, miss can I go inside?

And that's where the action starts, especially the motel shootout like in the book.
    I'd like mystery, but taken a step further: Bond's face is not seen, and his voice not heard, until the end of the film. Then BAM! Big reveal, end credits and theme music.

If they wanted to be even bolder, they could save the reveal for the final film of the actor's era. Just don't kill off Bond again; it would suck to finally see his face, only for him to die moments later.

Or maybe it would be genius, I don't know. Bond movies aren't my thing. Or movies in general. I prefer cooking.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'd like mystery, but taken a step further: Bond's face is not seen, and his voice not heard, until the end of the film. Then BAM! Big reveal, end credits and theme music.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'd like mystery, but taken a step further

53142654654_f0e65c66d4_o.png
    They all had a mystery reveal, at least to a degree, except Roger Moore. I'd rather go with the mystery reveal.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Well, technically, Moore was hidden until after the credits.

And I think the New Orleans agent is a bit of a "fake" Bond reveal...not unlike the one in TSWLM.
    I think there'll be quite a ground-breaking shake-up in the casting of the next James Bond. So the way our favourite super-spy will be presented to us, will be shrouded in mystery.
    The first sighting will be a mere shadow in an alley, then, feet treading softly . . a glimpse of a strong chin, a hand around a gun, before we get the full reveal, and there she is.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    And there she is?
    Interesting idea @ColonelAdamski
    I’m not sure EON will take things that far
    I think people back in 1973 already expected Moore as Bond.