It Seems There Are More QoS Appreciators Than Thought Before

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Yes, it is. It also gave the opportunity for Beam's classic sarcasm: 'You're right, we should only do business with nice people.' Great way to convey a whole mindset in one line.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 1,280
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, it is. It also gave the opportunity for Beam's classic sarcasm: 'You're right, we should only do business with nice people.' Great way to convey a whole mindset in one line.

Felix and Beam....the last duo in the Bond movies to have had a smart scripted dialogue that wasn't watered down for our family members of the human race in China.
    Aside from catering to China's cinematic audience with simpler and "punched up" scripts, SF also market the addition of Planometric composition in many shots.

It's when a director makes the background of a scene remain the same and FLAT in a whole scene shot and allows a character to move about that flat background.

Getting QoS vibes from tbe new MI DR trailer! Even at the end there is an eye like Tosca opera scene.

Have you all seen it? What do you think?
    Is it QoS-y?
  • What if Bond hadn't showed up to Yusef's apartment in Kazan?
    What do you think he and Corrine would have done that night?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,006

For the most dedicated of Quantum fans…

Quite possibly the lengthiest dissection of QOS on the internet. Overall they are quite favorable for the film - even the guy who isn’t crazy about QOS puts it mid tier.

Excellent interview with the actor who played Slate as well. Turns out there was more to his character than that brutal hotel fight.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I love QoS.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

For the most dedicated of Quantum fans…

Quite possibly the lengthiest dissection of QOS on the internet. Overall they are quite favorable for the film - even the guy who isn’t crazy about QOS puts it mid tier.

Excellent interview with the actor who played Slate as well. Turns out there was more to his character than that brutal hotel fight.

thanks for posting this. Haven't got the time to watch it all, but the Slate interview is very cool, nad I did learn new things about the fim I already liked. I think it's the most intelligent film in the series.
    The host does an excellent job laying out why QOS is a really smart film.
  • The host does an excellent job laying out why QOS is a really smart film.

Love this interview!!! More like this one please from all influencers.
  • You know that AI technology can certainly help us make new Bond movies featuring the likes Daniel Craig or any past Bond's? It would be even less obvious that they're using AI from a last Bond actor if he is alive to provide voice work.

EON, Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson can make superb revenue while they take their time to creatively reinvent the character for a new actor over the years if they allow a good director do a QoS redux or remake using AI and bringing a couple of the actors back for their voices an occasional stand in. This can be done for any of the past films.

In fact, we can still have a Timothy Dalton m-featured third movie or GE with him for example.
  • Another thing....when you first watched SP, how did you feel when you noticed that the actual sequel value/aspects linked back to QoS/CR?

From the very moment the screen says The Dead Are Alive....into the more direct references such as followijg uo with Mr. White and shoeing Vesper's pic, M's cameo by the great Judi Dench.

If any AI driven or QoS redux is done, seeing more Judi Dench as M is always welcome.
  • We're Corrine and Yusef gonna plan for the good life or do something else had Bond not shown up waiting for them?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    We're Corrine and Yusef gonna plan for the good life or do something else had Bond not shown up waiting for them?

Nope, she was on a mission in Russia, working for Canadian Intelligence. He'd just be 'kidnapped' there. They'd do the same trick to her as they id to Vesper.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    We're Corrine and Yusef gonna plan for the good life or do something else had Bond not shown up waiting for them?

Nope, she was on a mission in Russia, working for Canadian Intelligence. He'd just be 'kidnapped' there. They'd do the same trick to her as they id to Vesper.

This. It's why she thanks Bond before leaving. He saved her a world of pain and regret.
    Yes, you can see it in Corrine's face the moment it sinks in that she's been conned by Yusef.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This. It's why she thanks Bond before leaving. He saved her a world of pain and regret.

I have to be honest, I didnt catch that soft spoken "Thank You" the first time I watched QoS. Its a nice little moment!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

I have to be honest, I didnt catch that soft spoken "Thank You" the first time I watched QoS. Its a nice little moment!

It is! Adds a lot to the exchange through so short a response, I feel.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

It was so deep. Do you remember feeling like to were there with Bond waiting for Yusef? Or did you feel the inner turmoil her was going through during that scene?
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,928
    When Bond stands up points the gun at Yusef, you can clearly see in his face that he's struggling to be professional and take Yusef in rather than giving in to his instinct to shoot him in the face. Dan doesn't say a word and his face is immobile, but the eyes and the body language tell it all. We'll be lucky if the next guy can convey menace and danger even half as good as Craig did.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    When Bond stands up points the gun at Yusef, you can clearly see in his face that he's struggling to be professional and take Yusef in rather than giving in to his instinct to shoot him in the face. Dan doesn't say a word and his face is immobile, but the eyes and the body language tell it all. We'll be lucky if the next guy can convey menace and danger even half as good as Craig did.

Couldn't have summed it better mate. It was frightening on first viewing, it was one of few times in the series I almost felt sorry for the bad guy. Bond was unhinged in that moment.
    Wonderful acting from Craig

It was so deep. Do you remember feeling like to were there with Bond waiting for Yusef? Or did you feel the inner turmoil her was going through during that scene?

Those first few viewings in theaters were an experience to me. I think a fire could've broken out and I would've stayed locked into what was happening on screen.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Couldn't have summed it better mate. It was frightening on first viewing, it was one of few times in the series I almost felt sorry for the bad guy. Bond was unhinged in that moment.
    Wonderful acting from Craig

Yes, unbelievable acting.
    How lucky are we that we have QOS? This was the tone needed after OHMSS.
    I'll forever be grateful having QoS in the series. It's so brilliant to me and incredibly nostalgic all at once.
  • Up untill last year I got it down as Craig's worst entry although the mess of QoS wasn't all down to one character or individual. Then along came NTTD and it elevated the former to something in a different light.

All said it's still a mess. The 'song' is beyond sub-standard, the camera angles jump around in such erratic manner it makes The Blair Witch Project something steady and lucid and scenes and sequences appear and crash around at such alarming regularity it's almost impossible to keep up or comprehend any attempt at a storyline.

that said, it does hold a certain interest and Craig once again plays it straight and puts in a more than commendable performance. Main villains are lightweight, the plotline something absurd but Olga Kurylenko puts in a fine performance if nothing else.
  • Check Out this Recent Fresh Article that discusses hoe Quantum is a good movie and how Skyfall really was when Craig's Bond started going downhill by embracing all the Bond tropes.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1366702/quantum-of-solace-biggest-disaster-james-bond-history-not-reason-you-think/
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,928
    Pretty much says what I think, tbh. QOS was the perfect follow-up to CR, SF was a major retreat to safer and more familiar ground and they threw away the gains they'd made. For a long time, the media just seemed to parrot the same old party line about QOS so it's good to see these views getting more exposure.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Pretty much says what I think, tbh. QOS was the perfect follow-up to CR, SF was a major retreat to safer and more familiar ground and they threw away the gains they'd made. For a long time, the media just seemed to parrot the same old party line about QOS so it's good to see these views getting more exposure.

Agreed. Go's to show how little in the way of planning the producer's had for the Craig era.

Two badass Bond films and then the tropes bludgeoned their way back in...😕
  • echoecho 007 in New York

Agreed. Go's to show how little in the way of planning the producer's had for the Craig era.

Two badass Bond films and then the tropes bludgeoned their way back in...😕

I blame Mendes.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited August 2023 Posts: 735
    Largely effed-up and frenzied, QOS is the punk rock outlier amidst a heavy rotation of 60s classics and boring MOR .... love it despite all its alleged faults.