Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• if Donald Trump can somehow get elected as President in the States, Brosnan or Dalton can return as Bond. Anything is possible
  • TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 991
    if Donald Trump can somehow get elected as President in the States, Brosnan or Dalton can return as Bond. Anything is possible

Dalton - Won't return as Bond as he considers himself too old (Which, no offense, he is).
    Brosnan - "MONEY MONEY MONEY".
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Eyyyyy let’s leave the politics out of it. Bond topics are already heated as is. :D
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,061
    The producers need to look to Goldeneye as the template for Bond 26.

- A new James Bond, but is presented as is.
    - Great villain, physically and mentally a match
    - Great supporting villains and henchwomn
    - Great secondary characters, all interesting and with their own personality
    - Great action setpieces
    - Great title song
    - Presents the traditional Bond formula but freshens it up

Basically, do that again and they’ll be fine. I make it sound so easy… 😂
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Mallory wrote: »
    The producers need to look to Goldeneye as the template for Bond 26.

- A new James Bond, but is presented as is.
    - Great villain, physically and mentally a match
    - Great supporting villains and henchwomn
    - Great secondary characters, all interesting and with their own personality
    - Great action setpieces
    - Great title song
    - Presents the traditional Bond formula but freshens it up

Basically, do that again and they’ll be fine. I make it sound so easy… 😂

The Living Daylights & GoldenEye :)
    Please no plot that involves bond going anywhere near the states thanks.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

Given that NTTD performed poorly in the states, and that the Craig era never went there except for a small part of CR (Miami, and even then, I dont think the production actually went there), putting Bond 26 partially in the US may not be a bad idea.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Mallory wrote: »

Given that NTTD performed poorly in the states, and that the Craig era never went there except for a small part of CR (Miami, and even then, I dont think the production actually went there), putting Bond 26 partially in the US may not be a bad idea.

Is that right about NTTD? I didn't know that. Although I guess it was still in covid aftershocks time, so I don't know if studios will look at it as a standard release.

Personally I don't love the US-sets ones as much, but it can work.
    If Bond 26 does film in the U.S., let's have no more buffoonish sheriffs and car crashes (DAF & LALD.)
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    I'd like to see a Bond film set in entirely new countries, apart from the MI6 scenes obviously.
    Ireland
    Poland
    Australia
    Mongolia
    South Korea
    Nepal
    Lebanon
    Or maybe something really exotic like the Arctic or Antarctic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wouldn't mind a return to India, but the modern India which we didn't see in OP. And although we have been to Africa a little, I think there's still scope for more.
  • Having just finished Tokyo Vice, I'd love to see Bond return to Japan.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I do think wherever he goes, it would be good to see Bond interface with the local culture a bit more than he has done in recent films.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    More interaction with the local culture is one of the big things I want to see from this next era. Too many locations in the Craig era felt in and out and somewhat throwaway, like they didn't get enough time to breathe.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I think Skyfall was probably the worst, in that you could have swapped all of the foreign locations around (so he's in Shanghai in the PTS and travels to Turkey later in the film) and it wouldn't make any difference. Well, maybe that abandoned Chinese island gave it some sense of place, but he didn't talk to any Chinese people while he was there!
    One local culture Bond could interact more with is his own, London. I rather liked the Bond and Mallory scene outdoors as opposed to another scene in the latest iteration of MI6 HQ, someone's apartment, or a tube station.
    Am I wrong in recalling there was supposed to be a foot chase between Bond and Silva while on the island? That would've been nice. If anything, it would've at least let us explore more of the ruins. Could've made for a fun game of cat and mouse.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    mtm wrote: »
    I do think wherever he goes, it would be good to see Bond interface with the local culture a bit more than he has done in recent films.

I think that's been lacking for a number of years. Since the Brosnan films really. Maybe the modern pacing just doesn't allow for it anymore.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited August 2023 Posts: 1,434

I think that's been lacking for a number of years. Since the Brosnan films really. Maybe the modern pacing just doesn't allow for it anymore.

I think it's a fear of going too far or risking portraying different cultures as a mockery, which I do think Bond is a little guilty of in a lazy, inoffensive way.
    LucknFate wrote: »

I think it's a fear of going too far or risking portraying different cultures as a mockery, which I do think Bond is a little guilty of in a lazy, inoffensive way.

The OP Tuk-Tuk chase instantly comes to mind.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    One local culture Bond could interact more with is his own, London. I rather liked the Bond and Mallory scene outdoors as opposed to another scene in the latest iteration of MI6 HQ, someone's apartment, or a tube station.

To be fair I do think seeing Bond on the Tube in SF did give London that extra bit of presence in the film. I like how Q even implies Bond rarely uses it, which gives that extra bit feeling of 'Bond being slightly out of his depth'.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 15,000
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    LucknFate wrote: »

The OP Tuk-Tuk chase instantly comes to mind.

Or OP's treatment of India generally, really. That's why I'd quite like to see bond return in a more realistic way.
    It was shooting in India and the dichotomy between the lavish lifestyle of Bond and the poverty of some of the people which drove Sir Roger to work for Unicef of course.
    007HallY wrote: »

To be fair I do think seeing Bond on the Tube in SF did give London that extra bit of presence in the film. I like how Q even implies Bond rarely uses it, which gives that extra bit feeling of 'Bond being slightly out of his depth'.

Yes, Skyfall uses the foreign locations pretty badly, but the home locations are used pretty perfectly, I'd say.

I don't disagree, but I'd like to see more of London and England in general. The charm and attraction of any country can be shown without mockery and stereotypes.

• edited August 2023 Posts: 2,966

Yes, Skyfall uses the foreign locations pretty badly, but the home locations are used pretty perfectly, I'd say.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. I think the section with Bond in Fethiye is pretty good and shows him interacting with the locals (mainly with him playing the drinking game with the scorpion). I suppose the issue with SF is that for most of the abroad scenes Bond is on a pretty straight coursed mission without any deviances, so the story doesn't necessarily require any pauses. I can understand the criticism though, some of the more exotic locations lack the same sense of identity that London and Scotland (and perhaps Fethuye and Silva's island) have in that film. But then again I always thought that the Shanghi of that film was purposely meant to be a bit more urbanised/neon (or 'modern') anyway, and the Istanbul purposely more 'gritty', so...

I don't disagree, but I'd like to see more of London and England in general. The charm and attraction of any country can be shown without mockery and stereotypes.

I liked that London had a sort of greyness to it in SF at times (I've lived and worked there in the past - personally I find it a bit of a horrid city, but nonetheless a very important one which many others have more affection for). It reminded me a bit of Bond's rather dull professional life in the MR novel and his relationship with it. It's not a city in Bad I think should be glamourised in that sense, but I'd like if it's depicted in a way that's a contrast to the more exotic locations in a deeper way.
    slide_99 wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Bond film set in entirely new countries, apart from the MI6 scenes obviously.
    Ireland
    Poland
    Australia
    Mongolia
    South Korea
    Nepal
    Lebanon
    Or maybe something really exotic like the Arctic or Antarctic.

Agree with this.It beggars belief that after sixty years of movies,Bond has never been to these places.Ireland especially has some fantastic locations that were showcased really well in shows like Game Of Thrones and Vikings.

I really hope they do make an effort to take Bond in places he's never been before. How he's never visited the likes of Ireland or Australia is beyond me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess Australia just doesn't feel very exciting, on a sort of world intrigue basis? I love it there and it's obviously very beautiful, but I do kind of get how it's not very Bond-y somehow.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Oz (specifically the outback) would make a nice place for a villain lair, maybe. Especially with the amount of animals there that would want you for breakfast. I'd agree with @mtm's point about the intrigue though - one of the things that I'd change about MI2 is the location. Urban Australia just looks very bland onscreen.

It'd be nice to see Bond in the Antarctic; I'd echo that call.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh yeah, there's a bit in the climactic motorcycle chase in MI2 where they're riding past lots of semi-detached houses in what looks like a suburb, isn't there? Not very international-superspy! :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It'd be nice to see Bond in the Antarctic; I'd echo that call.

Add me to this list too…