Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I said “I’ll knock it off”.
    It was meant for all.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    peter wrote: »
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I can’t see Nolan doing a Bond actors second or third in their tenure.If he does do it,he will want to reboot the thing entirely and have complete creative control.

Actually,he may be too big for Bond now given his huge success.He’s one of the most bankable directors in the world now ( Second only to Jim Cameron ).

Uhm, the film industry is ecstatic that two films are killing it at the box office @AstonLotus , but the director everyone is talking about (fairly, or unfairly), is Greta Gerwig. Her film just galloped across a billion dollars.

When Barbie finishes its run, Greta's box office will be closer to Cameron's than Nolan, so, no, I think if EoN want Nolan, and Nolan is ready to do Bond, the size of his box office won't stop him from doing a Bond picture, lol!

Well Barbie will finish inbetween Oppenheimer and Avatar 2. Barbie will likely end up making as much as Maverick last year. To be fair I found Oppie’s run even more impressive than Barbie’s, and Nolan clearly benefited from all the Barbenheimer mania.
    Anyway a Nolan 007 would make $200M in the UK alone! 🤯
    matt_u wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    I can’t see Nolan doing a Bond actors second or third in their tenure.If he does do it,he will want to reboot the thing entirely and have complete creative control.

Actually,he may be too big for Bond now given his huge success.He’s one of the most bankable directors in the world now ( Second only to Jim Cameron ).

Uhm, the film industry is ecstatic that two films are killing it at the box office @AstonLotus , but the director everyone is talking about (fairly, or unfairly), is Greta Gerwig. Her film just galloped across a billion dollars.

When Barbie finishes its run, Greta's box office will be closer to Cameron's than Nolan, so, no, I think if EoN want Nolan, and Nolan is ready to do Bond, the size of his box office won't stop him from doing a Bond picture, lol!

Well Barbie will finish inbetween Oppenheimer and Avatar 2. Barbie will likely end up making as much as Maverick last year. To be fair I found Oppie’s run even more impressive than Barbie’s, and Nolan clearly benefited from all the Barbenheimer mania.
    Anyway a Nolan 007 would make $200M in the UK alone! 🤯

I think a Nolan Bond would be HUGE. We would be back in SF territory again.
  • @jetsetwilly Yes, and we have to be back in SF territory. The first movie of the new Bond era has to be one of the top 5 or so Bond films ever and EON knows it.
    Oppenheimer now closing in on 600 million at the box office. Who would have guessed a three hour period drama about the inventor of the atom bomb would have made more money than The Flash,Indy 5, and Mission Impossible?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    At the moment, I can look no further than Nolan being Bond 26's director. Like Radiohead in rock music, it clearly shows that Nolan has a very strong fanbase. Because I think if another director had made a film like this, it might also have had good reviews, but am not sure of a mammoth box office return....that's why with Covid and all, Tenet still made something.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 3,279
    At the moment, I can look no further than Nolan being Bond 26's director. Like Radiohead in rock music, it clearly shows that Nolan has a very strong fanbase. Because I think if another director had made a film like this, it might also have had good reviews, but am not sure of a mammoth box office return....that's why with Covid and all, Tenet still made something.

If Nolan does get the next Bond gig, I wonder if he will have a say in who the actor will be.
    It’s ultimately Eon’s call in the end, but all past directors have had a say in the casting process.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,954
    Hypothetically, I think the major draw of a Nolan Bond film would be his behind the scene influence rather than how much his involvement resonates with a broad filmgoing public. You could have certain high profile actors or filmmaking talent attached to the film just because they feel confident in Nolan's ability. It was similar with Oppenheimer - few other directors would be given quite that much budget and scale of advertisement for the subject it explored, and the film itself has quite a number of high profile actors in it.

Regardless though, I've said in the past that apart from specific fan-bases or film buff types, the average person often doesn't know who Nolan is. Nor do they much care. He's just a name on a poster for them. Like it or not, these are the majority of people going to see these films, and the fact that it's a Bond film will further dilute the director's name for this crowd. I think for a Bond film to achieve the heights of SF there have to be other factors outside of the quality of the film itself (of course the quality needs to be good, no doubt) or the director. It doesn't need to be Nolan or anyone quite as 'high profile' to achieve this height as it's more often than not an irrelevant factor for audiences. Perhaps to achieve a level of quality to the storytelling/filmmaking he's important (but this is subjective and one could easily say Nolan might not be the right director to herald a Bond film. I would certainly say we could easily get a very boring Bond film from him). I'd argue it's even debatable whether a lead actor's debut Bond film can actually get to those heights - often those creative/financial expectations are surpassed midway into an actor's tenure when audience expectation of the new era/actor allows a level of publicity to be drummed up that a debut couldn't.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 1,394

If Nolan does get the next Bond gig, I wonder if he will have a say in who the actor will be.

I can’t see Nolan working on ANY movie without him being the final word on casting.
    Nolan fully understands that he wouldn’t be top dog on a Bond film like on his usual productions. He has spoken about this already with his familiarity with Eon, and has even experienced it to an extent in regards to Batman.
    Nolan fully understands that he wouldn’t be top dog on a Bond film like on his usual productions. He has spoken about this already with his familiarity with Eon, and has even experienced it to an extent in regards to Batman.

On his first Batman movie I’d believe that but he has a LOT more power now than he had then especially due to the huge success of Oppenheimer.Now it’s a case that EON would be lucky to have him and I can’t see him making a movie where he’s not entirely happy with the casting.

Eon won’t cast someone a director doesn’t want.
    To be fair has there ever been a case where the director didn't like or want the Bond actor? As far as I can tell while no director's first choice has gotten the part (ie. Campbell preferred Cavill over Craig, Young wanted Richard Johnson etc.) it never seems to have been an issue. The only time casting became a problem with directors was seemingly Boyle with Tomaz Kot for a villain role (although I'm not even sure if this was true, and certainly not the full story).
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

Yeah, Nolan would definitely have someone in mind, even if EON usually have the final say. But I do wonder if that Nolan smile and slight raise of his eyebrows in that Oppenheimer interview, when ATJ was mentioned as a potential Bond confirms that Nolan & EON have a mutual agreement towards ATJ as James Bond.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2023 Posts: 8,040
    I've had two viewings of Oppenheimer. The first overwhelmed me slightly because of its structure and style (meaning I couldn't form a cohesive opinion on it), but the second really solidified it as one of Nolan's best films. A very small number of minor quibbles aside, it's outstanding. I walked out of both screenings with a strong sense of dread hanging over me - which is a remarkable achievement considering how much we didn't see.

Murphy has to be the bookie's favourite for Best Actor next year, but there isn't a bad performance among the bunch.
    Haven’t seen the year yet, but I get the feeling this will finally be the movie that nets Nolan a bunch of Oscars, including Director, Picture, Actor for Murphy. Helps a lot that it’s historical fiction, a beloved category for the Academy.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    My initial impression was pretty much the same @CraigMooreOHMSS. As both a history and a science buff, OPPENHEIMER was tailor made for me …. and it delivered. Not once in during the three-hour runtime did I find myself checking my watch or zoning out (I did get a leg cramp at the two-hour mark, so that was fun).

I do plan of seeing it again, hopefully, I can grab a 70mm IMAX ticket before it stops playing in that format.

Usually, even in the beat intentioned movies of this type, there is a tendency to create composite characters which are stand ins for multiple people, or to over attribute the work done by one individual. The film APOLLO 13 (1995), while great, did this a lot. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of real characters Nolan managed to give screen time to. In addition to the “big names” that are usually associated with the telling of this story (Albert Einstein and Edward Teller, for example), Nolan managed to give airtime to Niels Bohr, Vannevar Bush and Enrico Fermi, among others. I think a lot of that has to do – in part – from Nolan using official transcripts for certain events (the hearing where Oppenheimer lost his security clearance, for instance).

Of course, the acting was top-notch and I think Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr (wow, I’d almost forgot what a good actor he is) and others will get plenty of nominations come award season. Naturally, two pf my one of my favorite scenes occurred near the end of the film – and both involved Kitty Oppenheimer, brilliantly played Emily Blunt. The first, during the security clearance renewal hearing, where she – without directly saying as much – tells the investigators to go **** themselves. Any reading of US history for that period will reveal that that type of thing actually happened quite a lot BTW. The other occurs when Edward Teller extends his hand to her at an award ceremony (in 1963) and she refuses.

As for the controversy about not showing (directly) the effects of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or even the heartbreaking stories of the test site “down winders”, I can see both sides of the argument. First, in Nolan’s defense, the film is about the perspective of one individual. And the complete story of something as immense as a Manhattan Project or an Apollo Program is – by definition – comprised of many different and often contradictory perspectives and voices. Even if we allow for the central role that Oppenheimer played, his was not the only important one, nor did he have sole say in the matter. And I think that the film touches on that, while still maintaining its’ focus on him as an individual.

Yet, by not showing it, some viewers may walk away from seeing the film, thinking that dropping an atomic bomb on two cities is some type of abstraction (see many of those Barbenheimer memes).

In short, people should see (and view) the film, not as the final word about the subject, but as a starting point for further discussions.

That is my two cents anyway.

PS: As a lover of classic B&W films from the 1940s and 1950s, I especially loved Nolan’s strategic use of it in the film. I wish more directors would use it (see the PTS for CR’06, for example). BRAVO, Mr. Nolan!

I think not seeing the impact of the bombings actually enhanced that feeling of dread that I felt when walking out of the film, @Dwayne. My imagination is able to fill in those visual blanks, and the way the film imposes such horror on your mind through the performances of the cast is one of its greatest strengths. I feel like if we had seen detonation or been exposed to more graphic details, it actually would have taken away from it.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    That could well be @CraigMooreOHMSS. Sometimes the horror in our imagination is enough.

In looking back on my viewing of the film, I haven’t decided how *I* would have directly shown the bombings without it feeling shoehorned in or gratuitous. Maybe, I’ll be a little more constructive after a second viewing. Or maybe not.

Anyway, the following LA Times opinion piece on the matter attempts to place not showing the bombings in the context of the overall film, and in the context of Nolan’s general approach to film making.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2023-08-11/oppenheimer-atomic-bomb-hiroshima-nagasaki-christopher-nolan
    I don't think I enjoyed Oppenheimer as much as I enjoyed the artistry. Nonetheless, it is a very good film. But probably not one I need to see again. I was struck by the New Mexico vistas and how much they reminded of color films from the 50s. Clever. So much to appreciate with an excellent cast. I am reminded that Rami Malek is a very good actor despite my disappointment with his role in NTTD. I am on the side of not needing to see photos of the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I've seen photos and read about it. There would have been no point. I am encouraged that a film such as this is finding audiences.
    I've got to say, outside of the Batman movies, I don't find Nolan films all that rewatchable. The Prestige is my favorite outside of those, in general and to rewatch. Haven't seen Tenet or Oppenheimer yet.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Haven’t seen the year yet, but I get the feeling this will finally be the movie that nets Nolan a bunch of Oscars, including Director, Picture, Actor for Murphy. Helps a lot that it’s historical fiction, a beloved category for the Academy.

According to the academy’s new “ inclusion “ standards,Oppenheimer doesn’t qualify.

Apparently if your movie isn’t “ diverse “ enough,you’re out of the race.Oppenheimer dared to have a mostly white male cast and very few persons of colour,they also did not have enough strong powerful women ( though I thought Emily Blunt was quite good ) or LGBTQ or “ non binary “ characters 🙄

bait.gif
    bait.gif

*Looks up the channel of the video Aston posted. Channel prominently features Bill O’Reilly in its banner*

soren-nice-try.gif
    Genuinely surprised you guys never heard about the new rules.It’s not a joke.

• SeanoSeano Minnesota. No, it's not always cold.
    According to the academy’s new “ inclusion “ standards,Oppenheimer doesn’t qualify.

That's not clear. Oppenheimer has to qualify on 2 of 4 categories: 1.) On-Screen Representation, 2.) Creative Leadership and Project Team, 3.) Industry Access and Opportunities or 4.) Audience Development.

While Oppenheimer would seem not to qualify on #1, it certainly could qualify on the other three categories. I would assume that the studio and Nolan himself would be scrupulous about ensuring that the film would be eligible for Best Picture. Full details at:

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-establishes-representation-and-inclusion-standards-oscarsr-eligibility
    bait.gif

Why are there weapons mounted on the wall?