Christopher Nolan - Appreciation Thread

Comments

Loved the film! Really did! What a ticking bomb of a film! That final explosion with the sentence Oppie said to Albert was sublime. A relentless film. A rollercoaster of emotions, great acting masks and thespians, supperb soundtrack (more like sound effects than melodic recurrence), great cinematography,…

All and all, one hell of a ride!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Oppenheimer continues to sell out IMAX 70mm screens.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/oppenheimer-imax-70mm-extended-tickets-1235689899/
    Due to popular demand, “Oppenheimer” has extended its 70mm run at Imax theaters nationwide through the end of August.

The previous end date, which was already an extension of the film’s original run in Imax 70mm format, was Aug. 17. Tickets for Christopher Nolan’s atomic bomb drama are already on sale through Aug. 31 at some Imax theaters, as exhibitors will make them available on a rolling basis.

As for the film itself, I managed to see it on Saturday (August 5th) in a 70mm (but not IMAX) screen. I'll have more to say about the film later, but I thought it was excellent.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited August 2023 Posts: 4,343
    Oppenheimer is pulling off one of the most incredible box-office runs since 2019.
    A 3 hours drama biopic about a scientist likely to cross $800M is nuts.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 487
    If until now EON were undecided between a serious, Nolan lead reboot and a lighthearted, Brosnan 2.0 reboot, maybe the comparison of Oppenheimer's and M:I 7's box office performances will help them make the decision.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,954
    If until now EON were undecided between a serious, Nolan lead reboot and a lighthearted, Brosnan 2.0 reboot, maybe the comparison of Oppenheimer's and M:I 7's box office performances will help them make the decision.

I'm not sure if MI is comparable to Bond really, at least not in terms of its box office performance as of late. I don't think the producers want to go completely down the 'light-hearted' path anyway (whether or not the film has these light-hearted moments is another thing, but short of them going mad and adopting a completely campy 'Batman And Robin' tone/level of filmmaking, a Bond film will be financially successful even if it underperforms. I suspect had a Bond film been in the place of MI:7 this summer it would have made more money).

Oppenheimer doesn't necessarily mean Nolan will be the next director, anymore than, say, Titanic's success in '97 meant James Cameron had a shot at directing a Bond film. Nor does it give us any indication of what to expect of Bond 26.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I do think that if Nolan doesn’t get the gig at this point then that confirms Nolan will never get to do a Bond film. All other times Nolan could have done a film with Craig he was already tied up on another project. Now here is an opportunity where Eon can extend an offer as they have a clean slate ahead of them and Nolan supposedly has nothing in the works. There’s never been a better time.

But I’m not holding my breath.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited August 2023 Posts: 1,434
    I do think that if Nolan doesn’t get the gig at this point then that confirms Nolan will never get to do a Bond film. All other times Nolan could have done a film with Craig he was already tied up on another project. Now here is an opportunity where Eon can extend an offer as they have a clean slate ahead of them and Nolan supposedly has nothing in the works. There’s never been a better time.

But I’m not holding my breath.

No matter what I'm certain a conversation has been had or will be had, and I just hope it makes it into a history book some day if it does happen and he doesn't get the film. But you're right, the cards are aligned in his favor, now more than ever before, and more than they'll ever be again. And it's crazy to think it's not a shoe-in, but credit to the producers, it's not!
    The only thing that would make me think Nolan might do it is that he and Eon have already talked over the years. So they’re very much acquainted. This was confirmed by both parties. When Bond 24 had a tentative 2014 release, Mendes couldn’t take it cause he already had commitments. They then approach Nolan, but Paramount already beat them to it as they had just hired him for INTERSTELLAR.

Never heard of whether Nolan was asked for Bond 25.
    I can’t see Nolan doing a Bond actors second or third in their tenure.If he does do it,he will want to reboot the thing entirely and have complete creative control.

Actually,he may be too big for Bond now given his huge success.He’s one of the most bankable directors in the world now ( Second only to Jim Cameron ).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    AstonLotus wrote: »
    I can’t see Nolan doing a Bond actors second or third in their tenure.If he does do it,he will want to reboot the thing entirely and have complete creative control.

Actually,he may be too big for Bond now given his huge success.He’s one of the most bankable directors in the world now ( Second only to Jim Cameron ).

Uhm, the film industry is ecstatic that two films are killing it at the box office @AstonLotus , but the director everyone is talking about (fairly, or unfairly), is Greta Gerwig. Her film just galloped across a billion dollars.

When Barbie finishes its run, Greta's box office will be closer to Cameron's than Nolan, so, no, I think if EoN want Nolan, and Nolan is ready to do Bond, the size of his box office won't stop him from doing a Bond picture, lol!
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Nolan will never do a Bond ... same reason Hitchcock was never going to do Dr. No: he's too uniquely himself as a filmmaker and would probably require complete artistic control over the film.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 487
    Feyador wrote: »
    Nolan will never do a Bond ... same reason Hitchcock was never going to do Dr. No: he's too uniquely himself as a filmmaker and would probably require complete artistic control over the film.

Different times. EON has gotten much more comfortable with giving directors more aristic control. Also, unlike giving Danny Boyle complete artistic control, giving Nolan complete artistic control would not be a risky thing to do as Nolan is a huge fan of cinematic Bond and has an excellent track record directing big budget action films.
    Feyador wrote: »

Different times. EON has gotten much more comfortable with giving directors more aristic control. Also, unlike giving Danny Boyle complete artistic control, giving Nolan complete artistic control would not be a risky thing to do as Nolan is a huge fan of cinematic Bond and has an excellent track record directing big budget action films.

Yes I agree. Different times. Even back in the 70's when Spielberg wanted the gig, EON didn't hire him either for the same reasons.

But I think in today's economic climate, and with Amazon now having a stake in this, they will want to pick a bankable director to steer the franchise into its next course, and who better than Nolan.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited August 2023 Posts: 735
    Tarantino, too, of course, twenty years ago ...

Tarantino, Spielberg and Nolan as hired guns on a historically producer-driven set of films, I just don't see it ...

Even Mendes, or Boyle (for that matter), are all less unique, original and influential than any of the aforementioned .... whose work would, perhaps inevitably, end up being Nolan-Bond, or retrospectively, Spielberg-Bond and Tarantino-Bond films. Much as many of us think of the Craig-Bond films (in some sense, the real author of his own run) as standing apart from the rest of the series, where directors have mostly been expected to set aside any strongly unique traits as filmmakers ...

OK, so maybe Craig himself is the precedent here, and what has been true in the past needn't be true in the future. I would personally like to see Nolan given carte-Blanche to do a Bond, while recognizing that somehow a journeyman like Campbell has made two of the very best in the series ....

But what also argues against Nolan doing one is, well, could it only be one film? And if he only made one film, it would probably so different from what has come before that an aging Babs and Mike would have to start all over again, or would they call in a hired gun to follow up with what Nolan has established? Probable not practicable ...

Also, I think we mostly expect a future Bond to be less dark than the one evidenced by the Craig years ... hard to see where Nolan fits into such a scenario.

Happy to be wrong ....
  • "And if he only made one film, it would probably so different from what has come before that an aging Babs and Mike would have to start all over again, or would they call in a hired gun to follow up with what Nolan has established"

@Feyador If I were EON, I would tell Nolan: "Sure, you can write and direct Bond 26 but only if you write at the very least an outline for Bond 27 and 28."
    No director, even Nolan, will be given carte blanch on a Bond film. Danny Boyle certainly didn't have complete artistic control (he had to work within a certain set of parameters - ie. Bond has to be retired and brought back on a final mission, he has to die at the end etc. No matter who the director or writer of Bond 25 was these elements were always going to be there because that's the story the producers wanted to tell).

Honestly, it'd be a bit stupid for EON to hand over the reigns fully to a director/writer in this way. There's always going to be some element that the producers are the ones steering the general direction of the franchise. It's the case with the vast majority of major films, even if the director has a lot of input into the script or pre-production. They don't just leave a filmmaker with a large budget to do what they want. It's worth noting as well that EON actually give their filmmakers a lot of creative input compared to most other production companies.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 3,279
    007HallY wrote: »
    No director, even Nolan, will be given carte blanch on a Bond film. Danny Boyle certainly didn't have complete artistic control (he had to work within a certain set of parameters - ie. Bond has to be retired and brought back on a final mission, he has to die at the end etc. No matter who the director or writer of Bond 25 was these elements were always going to be there because that's the story the producers wanted to tell).

Honestly, it'd be a bit stupid for EON to hand over the reigns fully to a director/writer in this way. There's always going to be some element that the producers are the ones steering the general direction of the franchise. It's the case with the vast majority of major films, even if the director has a lot of input into the script or pre-production. They don't just leave a filmmaker with a large budget to do what they want. It's worth noting as well that EON actually give their filmmakers a lot of creative input compared to most other production companies.

EON are not in complete control anymore now though. There are other parties that have just as bigger say in the new direction.

And Nolan is a director to be trusted with a large budget to do what he wants.
    007HallY wrote: »

EON are not in complete control anymore now though. There are other parties that have just as bigger say in the new direction.

And Nolan is a director to be trusted with a large budget to do what he wants.

I'm not really sure how anyone on these forums could possibly know any of that, or indeed how the pre-production of Bond 26 will look in practice, but ok.

I mean, by that logic would these other parties give Nolan that full creative control? Does any director even truly have full creative control over a project of this kind?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    peter wrote: »

Uhm, the film industry is ecstatic that two films are killing it at the box office @AstonLotus , but the director everyone is talking about (fairly, or unfairly), is Greta Gerwig. Her film just galloped across a billion dollars.

When Barbie finishes its run, Greta's box office will be closer to Cameron's than Nolan, so, no, I think if EoN want Nolan, and Nolan is ready to do Bond, the size of his box office won't stop him from doing a Bond picture, lol!

I'll try to stay open to the options. Even those not actually suggested.

ken_barbie_bond.jpg
    0nkj0kr9baqhpscpge2fdf1oy5fe
    77a86824-6f7e-4e2d-a19e-e191aa0775e1.50a0badf18de6faf95183209b6c8eada.jpeg
  • peterpeter Toronto

ken_barbie_bond.jpg

😂 this was a THE post of the day 😂 😂 😂
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 1,394

Nolan just made the highest grossing WW2 film of all time.Congrats to Greta Gerwig on her Barbie doll movie but I can’t comment on that as I havnt seen it and never plan to.

Also Gerwig doesn’t have half the track record of Nolans.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 8,025
    That’s too bad. Barbie is pretty good. But judging by the kind of YouTube subscriptions you follow, I suppose you believe in the nonsense that it’s very anti-male.
    I heard from a good friend who saw it that there was objectionable stuff regarding Native Americans. So much for being “woke trash.”
  • FoxRox wrote: »
    I heard from a good friend who saw it that there was objectionable stuff regarding Native Americans. So much for being “woke trash.”

In Barbie? Not only was there no objectionable stuff regarding Native Americans, there was no "stuff" regarding Native Americans in the film.
    FoxRox wrote: »

In Barbie? Not only was there no objectionable stuff regarding Native Americans, there was no "stuff" regarding Native Americans in the film.

Pretty sure this must be what he was referring to:

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/barbie-smallpox-indigenous-joke/?amp
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,161
    That’s too bad. Barbie is pretty good. But judging by the kind of YouTube subscriptions you follow, I suppose you believe in the nonsense that it’s very anti-male.

@MakeshiftPython Knock it off. Why are you even commenting on people’s YouTube subscriptions. No more personal digs from you.
    I suppose you missed all the hubbub over at the Indy thread regarding toxic YouTube channels. I’ll knock it off.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    … or the comment about imagining what Anne Hathaway’s lips can do (how ridiculously childish).
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,630

ken_barbie_bond.jpg

Thanks @RichardTheBruce. This maybe THE post of the year! ^:)^

This may not work for Bond 26, but as a possible 30 minute "Bond 25 1/2" film short ...... =D>
    I suppose you missed all the hubbub over at the Indy thread regarding toxic YouTube channels. I’ll knock it off.

I miss plenty, but there’s no reason to continue. I really don’t understand, I would do anything to avoid conflict on these pages. Some of you seem to thrive on controversy and conflict.