Would you rather have a video game based on LALD OR TSWLM?

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Nice one @jetsetwilly that was a great liner!

Time for another fun would you rather!

Would you rather gamble Largo in Chemin De Fer OR gamble Le Chiffre in Poker
    I'll say poker because I understand it more. Although I'm not very good at it.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I have no idea. I never played Chemin de Fer, and poker (in fact, Texas Hold'em) only once at a party, without any stakes. Long time ago (though after CR came out), but then I'm fine without card games.

I prefer using the poker in my cheminée and look at my 1/87 scale chemin de fer collection.
  • Largo in chemin de fer, easily. Poker has much more skill involved and I can’t say I have a great aptitude for it so I’d stand no chance against Le Chiffre. With chemin de fer you have greater odds for success.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Poker against 'The Number' because I've played it a bit over the years. Still, hardly the best in the Service and highly likely to end up funding terrorism. What looks good?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Poker against 'The Number' because I've played it a bit over the years. Still, hardly the best in the Service and highly likely to end up funding terrorism. What looks good?
    I've heard somewhere that in poker even rookies can do good against the best pros, they just need to be lucky.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    QBranch wrote: »
    I've heard somewhere that in poker even rookies can do good against the best pros, they just need to be lucky.
    That's true, it mostly comes down to what hand/s you're dealt rather than what cards you decide to keep or throw away.
    Interesting thoughts here. I think Chemin De Fer is a game of pure luck and getting the cards at the right time. No bluffing allowed in that game or needed in that game. I believe baccarat is similar to Chemin De Fer but I have forgotten the difference. I have played poker and I applaud the filmmakers for switching to poker for the movie. Makes it more interesting and is more suited to a long gambling series of scenes.

Now on to another fun one. Lets do some would you rather scenarios where we pit the debuts of our leading men off against one another.

First up would you rather watch Sean in DN or Brosnan in GE?

One is a low key film and a low key debut, the other bold and brash. One has a detective element with some small world stakes, the other a globetrotting adventure with big set pieces. One was made on a budget the other was made for modern film audiences. One has an iconic villain, the other an unique villain. Which one would you rather watch?
    DN, but it’s close; they’re only 3 or so places apart in my ranking. Both awesome, Top 10 Bonds for me, just great in different ways. Just that the Fleming-esque stuff of DN is the deciding factor.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    One was a magnetic presence, even if he was growing into the complete package:

Sean Connery in DN is magnetic and my eyes are drawn to him.

Brosnan, not so much, and I find he’s far stronger in the first half of TND.
    Sean in DN... by a Country mile!
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 2,900
    Connery's debut in DN is an interesting one. I get the feeling his next two instalments subtly 'course corrected' in the same way the writers did with Moore by TSWLM. In DN he plays Bond in a very wry, and for me personally almost too ironic way. He's very cool and Connery brings his natural raw charisma to the role, but I much prefer how less self-assured he is in FRWL, or when there are more moments of vulnerability to his performance such as in GF. His later Bond portrayals are better for me in this sense.

Brosnan isn't my favourite Bond, and it might be in large part due to the writing (which I think played to Brosnan's ability to perform better when being more understated) but I find him more Fleming-esque in GE, which is more to my personal preference. And honestly I prefer GE slightly over DN nowadays (the latter is good, but the filmmaking is very dated in places, especially compared to the next two). So Brosnan it is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Plus Dr.No vs Carver… Both were campy in their own right, but one was coldly sinister and a real threat.

Dr. No is by far the better antagonist…. I love when he heads into Bond’s bedroom, while Bond is passed out in bed, and pulls down the sheet to “inspect” his opponent.
    peter wrote: »
    Plus Dr.No vs Carver… Both were campy in their own right, but one was coldly sinister and a real threat.

Dr. No is by far the better antagonist…. I love when he heads into Bond’s bedroom, while Bond is passed out in bed, and pulls down the sheet to “inspect” his opponent.

A brilliant touch pulled directly from the even-better book.
  • Goldeneye. Though it’s incredibly close.
    peter wrote: »

Yes that is creepy and I do recall the book playing up this aspect of the villainy and the experiment that he's about to put Bond through. Great thoughts so far gang!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sean/Dr. No all the way. And I don't even dislike Pierce/GE.
    The WORLD renowned intro...............................Sean.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited August 2023 Posts: 4,416
    Are we talking films or performances?

Because GE will always be my preferred film but Sean in DN is phenomenal
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I love Brosnan, but DN is a classic. Now if it was DN vs. TND, then I'd pick the latter. But it IS close.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,928
    If it was a one-time, one-watch-only deal, it'd be DN. But sometimes you're in more of a back-with-a-bang, high octane blockbuster kind of mood, right? That's when GE's the man for the job.
    DR NO
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Dr. No.
    Sean's Bond scratches a certain itch that the others can't get to. Add in some classic detective work, sinister villains playing it straight, a Jamaican jungle as a backdrop and you've got a tone that's hard to beat.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sean in Dr. No by a good margin. This is someone who has slowly, over many years come to appreciate GE for the top ten film that it is. A stunning debut from Pierce Brosnan.
    However, the simplicity of DN is what I prefer. It's a wonderful debut, that I can watch over and over, and still enjoy. All the elements work, and visually it's hard to beat.
  • If this was FRWL or OHMSS vs Goldeneye, I would’ve picked either of those two films in a heartbeat. I love Dr. No, I can watch the movie over and over and still be entertained, but Goldeneye just slightly edges it out for me personally. But then again Goldeneye was my first Bond movie, so I am incredibly nostalgic for it.
    Are we talking films or performances?

Because GE will always be my preferred film but Sean in DN is phenomenal

You tell me! Which film would you rather watch, Sean's Debut in DN or Pierce's debut in GE? Can be because of the actor, performance or any other reason you care to share!
    Lets do another battle of debuts!

Would you rather watch Moore's debut in LALD or Dalton's debut in TLD?

In one we have a Bond who doesn't drink a martini, wear a tux, wear a hat or smoke cigarettes. The other we have a Bond who drink martini's (including ones that have been drugged), wears a tux a few times, doesn't wear a hat but does smoke cigarettes.

Which debut do you prefer? It can be for the overall film, the performance of the debuting actor, or whatever criteria you wish!
  • Another tough one for me. Both performances are in my top 5 favorites of the series, but I might have to go with Dalton here.
    I'll go with The Daltonator.