Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,434
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Does anybody know what crazy stunt or stunts will part 2 have? If you know can someone please put it in the spoiler tag for me.

I also now realize why they're in old planes. So the entity can't hack them.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2023 Posts: 40,490
    I also noticed how the trailers have some footage that wasn't in Part 1, so I guess McQ and co. couldn't decide if those moments were better saved for Part 2 or not (or perhaps they were cut entirely), like:
    That oddly outfitted person underwater, possibly Ethan, clearly going after the sunken sub
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I also noticed how the trailers have some footage that wasn't in Part 1, so I guess McQ and co. couldn't decide if those moments were better saved for Part 2 or not (or perhaps they were cut entirely), like:

That oddly outfitted person underwater, possibly Ethan, clearly going after the sunken sub.

I thought about that clip and I think it's going to be a hypothetical scene that is either in Part II or cut from Part 1. Sometimes they show how the mission is supposed to go (before they do it), and I bet that's what that shot was for.
    Sorry, meant to spoiler tag that but guess it's not a huge deal as we don't know if it's repurposed for Part 2 or removed entirely.

But yes, you're probably right, since we've had a lot of those throughout the series, especially in the last two or three installments.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 6,746
    I so want them to bring back John Polson or somebody from MI2. I doubt Nyah would return. I'd even settle for a spoken reference to Biocyte.

It's an OCD kind of thing. They're referencing quite a bit from previous films, but MI2 remains untouched, sitting there, on the corner, alone, by itself. Wearing donkey ears.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,434
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I so want them to bring back John Polson or somebody from MI2. I doubt Nyah would return. I'd even settle for a spoken reference to Biocyte.

It's an OCD kind of thing. They're referencing quite a bit from previous films, but MI2 remains untouched, sitting there, on the corner, alone, by itself. Wearing donkey ears.

I would counter the moment in MI:Fallout, where you realize Ethan is going to have to climb his way back up the cliff to stop the bomb, as a huge callback to MI2 in a way. That's what's on the mind of most viewers who've seen 2, at least. But not to argue, only to agree that the series should do more with the second installment. It's great.

I once saw a theater screening of it (rerelease at the Museum of Moving Image in Queens) and the scene where Ethan runs out of the bunker with the doves got cheers.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    With Nolan’s OPPENHEIMER still selling out many IMAX theaters, it appears that MI:7 isn’t going to get those “prime” screens as early as hoped.
    https://screenrant.com/oppenheimer-movie-imax-screens-extended-mission-impossible-7-comparison/

FYI @LucknFate, The Museum of the Moving Image’s “SEE IT BIG: 70mm” series is back this summer (Aug 3 to Aug 27) with screenings of AIRPORT, INCEPTION, NOPE, STARMAN, MALCOLM X and 2OO1 (naturally).

https://movingimage.us/series/see-it-big-70mm-2023/
    If it weren't for the series having too many love interests of late, I'd kill to see Nyah return.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I’m not sure Thandiwe Newton would want to do it though, having read recent interviews with her. I think it would depend how it’s written.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited August 2023 Posts: 8,038
    Grace reminded me of Nyah in a number of ways, not least because she's a thief. I wonder if a Nyah return was something they pondered at some stage conceptually.
    we see this with all movies, we know the facts re revenue but we will never know all of the causes and the balance. Easy to blame Barbie etc but could it also be that it's not as engaging as previous movies in the series.
    Grace reminded me of Nyah in a number of ways, not least because she's a thief. I wonder of a Nyah return was something they pondered at some stage conceptually.

That's an intriguing thought. It's certainly possible. Would've been very exciting for the two to meet up in the airport like that after all these years.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I don’t see Thandiwe Newton coming back at all.
  • TheNumberOrTheCipherTheNumberOrTheCipher Raoul Silva did a little trolling

Albiet not a literal reference, a lot of story aspects of Dead Reckoning Part One were originally featured in early drafts of Mission: Impossible 2. When Oliver Stone was still in line to direct, the drafts had an AI (or "hyper-intelligent supercomputer") as the main antagonist

Albiet not a literal reference, a lot of story aspects of Dead Reckoning Part One were originally featured in early drafts of Mission: Impossible 2. When Oliver Stone was still in line to direct, the drafts had an AI (or "hyper-intelligent supercomputer") as the main antagonist

Never heard of Oliver Stone doing an MI film before. He was still a capable filmmaker back then.
  • TheNumberOrTheCipherTheNumberOrTheCipher Raoul Silva did a little trolling
    M_Blaise wrote: »

Never heard of Oliver Stone doing an MI film before. He was still a capable filmmaker back then.

Very true, and he had worked with Cruise before
    One of the issues that MI has as it moves on is the reliance on the "MacGuffin" to drive the movie forward and motivate the "heist" ellement of the plot. The NOC list worked well (same as in Skyfall) and it has existed in various forms ever since but
    a key to turn a computer on/off is stretching things a little plus they have used this for two movies
    patb wrote: »
    One of the issues that MI has as it moves on is the reliance on the "MacGuffin" to drive the movie forward and motivate the "heist" ellement of the plot. The NOC list worked well (same as in Skyfall) and it has existed in various forms ever since but
    a key to turn a computer on/off is stretching things a little plus they have used this for two movies
    It's not a key for simply turning a computer off though, it's a way to access the source code of the transmitted A.I. on the Sevastopol. What I wonder is how the U.S. had the schematics for the key and couldn't simply replicate it on their own somehow. Plus, are we to assume the CIA retrieved the keys from the bodies in the first place and ended up losing them in transit? You'd think their retrieval of them would've been way more top secret and secure than one courier being responsible for them.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think this is terribly spoilery, but I'll join in! :)
    Yes I did think it was unnecessarily confusing to have them put the schematics of the key up on a screen when they were briefing on it. To us the important bit of a key is the zig-zaggy bit you plug into the keyhole, and they clearly knew what that looked like, so why not make your own! Obviously you can say it's more high tech than that, but for storytelling purposes it just muddies the water a bit.
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes I did think it was unnecessarily confusing to have them put the schematics of the key up on a screen when they were briefing on it. To us the important bit of a key is the zig-zaggy bit you plug into the keyhole, and they clearly knew what that looked like, so why not make your own! Obviously you can say it's more high tech than that, but for storytelling purposes it just muddies the water a bit.
    And if there are clear duplicates that can be made, what separates them from the real thing? I imagine it has something to do with nuclear components, given how Ethan and his team were able to track the real one throughout the airport, but I guess it's just one of those things where you start to poke holes in the logic the more you dig into it. It doesn't bother me that much, I just know I had a lot of confusion surrounding the key after my first viewing, took me a second and some research for it all to come together. I'm still interested in how the keys were retrieved in the first place, by whom, and why they end up so spread out instead of consolidated by one country or organization.

And while not so much a spoiler, considering how integral the keys are to the whole idea of truth and misinformation (and how virtually every country is now after them at the start), it would've been nice to see other international teams popping up to add further complications to the pursuit. Otherwise, it's exclusively the IMF, the bad guys, and that CIA team tasked with stopping Ethan and nobody else.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Seeing as how each part of the key has to authenticate its partner, is it possible that the "lock" onboard the Sevastopol authenticates both parts of the key. So having copes might not work, or could they? It's not explained that well, is it.
    Seeing as how each part of the key has to authenticate its partner, is it possible that the "lock" onboard the Sevastopol authenticates both parts of the key. So having copes might not work, or could they? It's not explained that well, is it.
    That's what I'm wondering: what is the authenticating material that sets it apart from a duplicate? Is it some ultra-specific nuclear mixture that can't be reproduced or copied? The duplicate keys look exactly the same, and given that the CIA and probably others have the schematics, there must be something irreplicable about the two halves that we don't get further detail on.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2023 Posts: 14,986
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    And if there are clear duplicates that can be made, what separates them from the real thing? I imagine it has something to do with nuclear components, given how Ethan and his team were able to track the real one throughout the airport, but I guess it's just one of those things where you start to poke holes in the logic the more you dig into it. It doesn't bother me that much, I just know I had a lot of confusion surrounding the key after my first viewing, took me a second and some research for it all to come together. I'm still interested in how the keys were retrieved in the first place, by whom, and why they end up so spread out instead of consolidated by one country or organization.

And while not so much a spoiler, considering how integral the keys are to the whole idea of truth and misinformation (and how virtually every country is now after them at the start), it would've been nice to see other international teams popping up to add further complications to the pursuit. Otherwise, it's exclusively the IMF, the bad guys, and that CIA team tasked with stopping Ethan and nobody else.

Yes that's a nice thought. Although I guess the idea is that the guys in the desert were after it? And Ilsa too, I suppose.
    I think I would have liked for there to have been someone in the film who didn't know who Ethan was. The way it is means he can't really do any heist tricks, and that's half the point of M:I to me.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 4,602
    I went to see MI again last night (to reset the balance after seeing Barbie on Wed). It was better second viewing as I was aware of the plot issues so could concentrate on other ellements. The action sections really are amazing, the first sub sequence and the desert sequence are top notch, hard to fault. Also the alley fight. Lighting, editing etc. The acting (often overlooked in this genre) is all top notch. VR especially good and makes the most out of a small role, HA also deserves full credit
    re the key, it's referenced that the Russians want to key to "de-activate" the entity (so, therefore, turn it off) but other groups want to use it for their own good. Ethan also want to just turn it off. In the sub sequence, the key is used just like a conventional key. It is inserted into the keyhole, rotated (hence tumblers), a sliding panal is then retracted out to reveal the inner workings (a hard drive size red box with red blinking lights) so it is confusing re what is so special about the key re access to the original data.

It's also frustrating (some one can count this?) how many times the key is slipped into a pocket (as if it's worth a tenner) only to be pickpocketed.

And, once you look for it, RF appears in the van that rescue Hunt in Rome, there is a romatic hug, hold hands on the boat on the way to the party, they go to the party, she runs away and is killed on the bridge. It's all too quick and does the character a disservice IMHO. The romance is clunky and should have been done with more ambiguity (as in previous installments). They are both great actors and it's a missied opportunity

it's also interesting that the villain is the servant of the entity rather than the creator. Creation would have shown more evil intent, control and genius. Code has to be created by someone so why not the villain?

one last thought, if you were at the cinema with your daughter and wanted to show them strong female role models on the screen, do you buy a ticket for Barbie of MI:DR ?
    patb wrote: »

it's also interesting that the villain is the servant of the entity rather than the creator. Creation would have shown more evil intent, control and genius. Code has to be created by someone so why not the villain?

This is interesting. I agree. Would have been much more interesting to see that perspective.
    A creator trying to stop the entity because it is out of their control and they see Ethan as getting in their way at first, then team up for part ii? Could have been fun.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 4,602
    it's an issue which many sci-fi movies have struggled with but, the convention is that great villains have human emotions/faults etc that the audience can relate to (and sometimes even empathy), you just don't get that with computer code. To have the entity as the villain (rather than have the entity as a tool used by the villain) seems strange to me,

PS we saw in SF that we had an IT genius who had huge control over global IT networks etc but his motivations were very human, basic and relatable. I'll take Bardem over "the entity" every time
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess it's quite interesting to make the macguffin and the villain in some ways the same thing. To some extent it's what they did in Fallout, with breaking Lane out being the main objective of the heist.
    But Lane was human, even when he was the McGuffin, being transported around, his humanity offered the writers options..like this nice little nugget..

Solomon Lane : You should have killed me, Ethan.
    Solomon Lane : [after Ethan runs over Ilsa on her motorcycle] That was Ilsa.
    Ethan Hunt : Shut up.
    Solomon Lane : Very interesting.

Lane was a brilliant villain. That face, that voice, beard or no beard, rimmless glasses or no glasses, he was cool as ice, a psychopath, cunning and insane at the same time. That line in Fallout made the whole situation feel so real. A better film on all accounts, IMO. Better villain, better cinematography, soundtrack, stunts,…, and that “storm” line from the beginning was so well thought out. A film I’ll return to as much as I did with the first one.
    Lane's mini speech in their hideout as they swap the transmitters in his neck is so terrifying. What a villain.