What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• slide_99slide_99 USA
    "and that we're going to be getting a Nolan Bond movie starring ATJ"

Pretty much my dream Bond film. Seriously though, I can very much understand people preferring other directors to Nolan when it comes to Bond 26, but I cannot understand people being completely against him directing. An A-list director who has loads of experience directing big budget action films and is a huuuge Bond fan. What more do you want?

As for Nolan wanting it his way, sure he would want a lot of creative freedom but in this new podcast interview he also acknowledged the constraints that come with Bond. But even if he wanted total creative freedom, why would that be such a bad thing? This is not a Mendes or Boyle situation where there was a risk they would want to make a Bond film that is too out there. Furthermore, NTTD broke two of the biggest Bond taboos (Bond having a child ad Bond dying). Even if Nolan explicitly wanted to make Bond 26 more formula breaking than NTTD was and EON were on board with it, he probably would be unable to do so.

I wouldn't mind Nolan directing. I just don't want ATJ as Bond. I've seen a few of his movies and never liked him as an actor.
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan
    https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/matthew-vaughn-james-bond.html

Likely nonsense however I would pick Vaughn over Nolan anyday! Giant freakin robot doesn't really have a knack for being a reliable source.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 486
    I hope this is fake. I have liked some of Vaughn's movies over the years but his sensibilities are way too juvenile for a 21st century Bond film.

EDIT: okay, it appears that fortunately they are usually not a trustworthy source. What a relief!
    Previous fake exclusives by them:
    https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/henry-cavill-james-bond-villain.html
    https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/exclusive-james-bond-cinematic-universe.html
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I like Vaughn of Layer Cake, Stardust, X-Men First-Class, & Kingsman: The Secret Service. In fact, early Vaughn. But since Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Vaughn seems to forget that live-action isn't cartoon and since then, he has become too cartoonish.
  • Vaughan is too Guy Ritchie for me so no for Bond thanks.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A nice commentary by Calvin; I completely agree.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    talos7 wrote: »
    https://deadline.com/2023/07/christopher-nolan-james-bond-movie-oppenheimer-1235442893/

BREAKING NEWS
    Christopher Nolan Says It Would Be “An Amazing Privilege” To Direct A James Bond Movie

A lot of--if not all--of the hype and "news" about Nolan directing a Bond film comes from Nolan himself.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,900
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It'd be a wonderful bit of irony if Gerwig gets the gig over Nolan. While I'm not a fan of her as an actress I do like Ladybird and I'll see Barbie. Don't think it'll be her though.
    Vaughan is too Guy Ritchie for me so no for Bond thanks.

I think Vaughn (even though his films are a bit too "over the top") would still be a better choice than Nolan, especially if they want to go in a different direction.
    And I never liked Guy Ritchies movies but was positively surprised with his latest films, his directing style seems to have changed a bit lately.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 14,831
    talos7 wrote: »
    A nice commentary by Calvin; I completely agree.

I think Nolan, as brilliant as he is, is a tad too much full of himself now.
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan
    Are you guys familiar with Emerald Fennel? She directed the dark comedy thriller promising young woman which I heard great things about and is currently filming another film titled salt burn, Could she be a potential B26 director? That is if eon decides on hiring a female director.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Agent0099 wrote: »
    Are you guys familiar with Emerald Fennel? She directed the dark comedy thriller promising young woman which I heard great things about and is currently filming another film titled salt burn, Could she be a potential B26 director? That is if eon decides on hiring a female director.

Promising Young Woman was amazing to me and that upcoming Saltburn, while slightly secretive apparently, has me intrigued.
  • Okay, let's put our wishes aside for a moment. Who do you guys think are the most likely to direct Bond 26?
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    Okay, let's put our wishes aside for a moment. Who do you guys think are the most likely to direct Bond 26?

I really do think it’s going to be Nolan.
    I also reckon it will be Nolan...but am not going to lose any sleep if its not!! A technically brilliant Director, but just cant see he's a right fit for Bond, cant understand those who are looking for a lighter, fun tone for Bond 26 ...pushing for Nolan!!!!!
    My choice is still David Mackenzie!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m agnostic when it comes to Nolan; his directing Bond could go either way.

I do think that if he wants it it’s his; I don’t think EoN can resist the “ Prestige “ that he would bring.
    I was thinking about Denis Chouinard as I enjoyed his Tar Angel, a neat low budget little thriller with soul and character, but he seems to have done diddly squat since then.
  • I'm still rooting for Park Chan-wook.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I'm still rooting for Park Chan-wook.

Yes, me too.
    Alfonso Cuaron for me (after Campbell of course).

With Emmanuel Lubezki as cinematographer? I'd pay a stupid amount of money for that Bond film.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,006

With Emmanuel Lubezki as cinematographer? I'd pay a stupid amount of money for that Bond film.

Sure why not?
    I’d also love for Roberto Shaeffer to have another crack since he created such a vibrant, slick-yet-gritty look for QOS.

Sure why not?
    I’d also love for Roberto Shaeffer to have another crack since he created such a vibrant, slick-yet-gritty look for QOS.

I'd be down for that too. Bring just about everybody back from QoS and let me have a great time.

Sure why not?

I'd be down for that too. Bring just about everybody back from QoS and let me have a great time.

Yep, am on board for that!
  • I’m not sure if it’s worth reading into, but Bong Joon-ho, Denis Villeneuve, and Guillermo Del Toro all did Cast & Crew Interviews for NTTD. Do they have a relationship with Barbara Broccoli? That could certainly make an interesting shortlist.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Edgar Wright and Christopher Nolan are also good acquaintances of Babs and Mick. The former got permission to use the Thunderball poster in 'last night in soho'.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    Edgar Wright and Christopher Nolan are also good acquaintances of Babs and Mick. The former got permission to use the Thunderball poster in 'last night in soho'.

Last Night in Soho really changed my perspective on what an Edgar Wright Bond film be. I think the tone of Last Night in Soho would fit Bond more and we know that Wright can do action and laughs.
    I would be pretty surprised if Nolan doesn't direct Bond 26. It just seems like the perfect time for him to do it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Villeneuve says that CR is his favourite Bond movie. Yeah, ok, give him a go...

Venutius wrote: »
    Villeneuve says that CR is his favourite Bond movie. Yeah, ok, give him a go...

My only reservation with Villeneuve is that he might be too big now. But I think he'd be more fitting than Nolan.