Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

You guys are speaking to my heart. True detective spycraft is what we need, done with style and some Bondian panache.

And Bond swimming with barracudas… :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Last three Bonds forgot to check their room for bugs! I think we should get a scene like this just for Bond to find the bug and show how compact these microphones and cameras have advanced over the years. Bond finds a camera the size of a pinhead and squashes it in his fingertips.
    There was a lot of missed opportunities in the Craig era.
    *Bond scans the room with his newly downloaded app*
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    QBranch wrote: »
    Last three Bonds forgot to check their room for bugs! I think we should get a scene like this just for Bond to find the bug and show how compact these microphones and cameras have advanced over the years. Bond finds a camera the size of a pinhead and squashes it in his fingertips.

My favourite is the one in Octopussy where Roger, whilst sat down, half-heartedly turns the phone over to check the underside, then gives up :)
    *Bond scans the room with his newly downloaded app*
    That's one thing I was gonna add to my comment - I don't wanna see Bond's phone with some gadget app. That just seems lazy and has already been done in pretty much all the Craig games. I want custom gizmos, preferably disguised.
    mtm wrote: »
    My favourite is the one in Octopussy where Roger, whilst sat down, half-heartedly turns the phone over to check the underside, then gives up :)
    It's easy to forget that one, but yeah, I vaguely remember now. He probably realized he didn't have a device to scan it, so gave up.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 15,013
    On His Majesty's Secret Service did have quite a nice app-based gadget when Bond's phone downloaded the contents of his pursuer's phone when she unlocked it. Not exactly magnetic watch-style movie level stuff, but a smart little gadget.
    For a bug scanner I could imagine a phone using AR and displaying where the bugs are in the room on the screen.
    I've thought that earbuds could work somehow, like giving him little sonar beeps to tell him if a baddie is approaching from behind! :)
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    mtm wrote: »
    On His Majesty's Secret Service did have quite a nice app-based gadget when Bond's phone downloaded the contents of his pursuer's phone when she unlocked it. Not exactly magnetic watch-style movie level stuff, but a smart little gadget.
    For a bug scanner I could imagine a phone using AR and displaying where the bugs are in the room on the screen.
    I've thought that earbuds could work somehow, like giving him little sonar beeps to tell him if a baddie is approaching from behind! :)

Maybe you could've answered the question in the Odd One Out thread, since you've already read the book?
    edited July 2023 Posts: 13,986
    The phone gadgets were also done in the MI films, with one of them erasing USB data in Rogue Nation. I get that it might be something a real life spy would have, but I think Bond's world should see more unique, physical tech than an app. At least slightly more outlandish, even a little tongue-in-cheek.
    One of the few things I think worked about OHiMSS was how technology was incorporated. You had the smartphone that transferred data which was just mentioned, but another little detail that I thought interesting was the fact that Bond has practically no presence on the internet (so no photos of him or social media to speak of, which is unusual for today). I dunno, something like that might be a nice detail for a future film. Someone tries to run a background check on Bond or whatever and it's mentioned he practically doesn't exist on the internet.

I understand that the idea of a smartphone that erases or transfers data might be a bit too Mission Impossible, and I think a better way to go would be just to update the sort of technology that Bond had to have in the very early films that is practically useful for his spying (so something like a device that detects bugs in his hotel room, perhaps some sort of electronic lock pick etc.) Or you could give him devices which look modern (ie. a smartphone) but actually have rather simple purposes (perhaps the smartphone is a dud/an explosive or flash-bang grenade or something).
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    007HallY wrote: »
    One of the few things I think worked about OHiMSS was how technology was incorporated. You had the smartphone that transferred data which was just mentioned, but another little detail that I thought interesting was the fact that Bond has practically no presence on the internet (so no photos of him or social media to speak of, which is unusual for today). I dunno, something like that might be a nice detail for a future film. Someone tries to run a background check on Bond or whatever and it's mentioned he practically doesn't exist on the internet.

MI6 must've wiped millennial Bond's drunken Myspace photos from the Eton ball before he joined the service.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,969
    007HallY wrote: »

MI6 must've wiped millennial Bond's drunken Myspace photos from the Eton ball before he joined the service.

If we get a Bond born in the mid 90s he'd likely have to explain away some sort of meme page on Tumblr as well during the MI6 background check.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I hope with the next era they're consistent with the tone and they stick to it. Some of the gadgetry and more Sci-fi elements in NTTD, felt a bit jarring to me given how grounded the first three films of Daniel's run were.
    Thank God they didn't go with Boyle's idea and put Bond back in space
    The phone gadgets were also done in the MI films, with one of them erasing USB data in Rogue Nation. I get that it might be something a real life spy would have, but I think Bond's world should see more unique, physical tech than an app. At least slightly more outlandish, even a little tongue-in-cheek.

Return of the X-ray glasses. This improved version is able to locate any transmitters in the room.
    Return of the X-ray glasses. This improved version is able to locate any transmitters in the room.
    Not bad. We're certainly due for a sunglasses gadget. I still suspect Logan Ash of being able to communicate or take photos with his glasses because of the suspicious way he tapped them while Bond and Leiter walk through the Jamaican street.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,006
    One thing I’d love to see in B26 is Bond just living life: doing a few normal things like cooking, fixing a cocktail, or building something in a tropical location and “Underneath the Mango Tree” working its way into the soundscape.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,393
    Gadgets?

Just have a thought (watching some videos that featured some funny moments of people talking at their Siris and Alexas 😅, and imagine having one for Bond be like:)
    While Bond driving:

Bond: Siri, will you enable the tracker?
    Siri: And why I'm going to enable the tracker?
    Bond: (Breathes out) just do it!
    Siri: No, I'd liked to know the reason why!
    Bond: Siri! Just do it please!
    Siri: Why?! Because you're going to track your girlfriend?!
    Bond: No! It's the man that we're chasing!
    Siri: And now, you're having a relationship with a man!
    Bond: Now, stop it, Siri! And just do what I've said!
    Siri: I'm jealous!

(Bond rolled his eyes, and just turned off Siri) 😅
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I do think it’s interesting that for both Mendes films Bond wasn’t given anything too fancy or futuristic. Gadgets appeared to be more rudimentary and tacked on, like those added buttons on the Aston Martin steering wheel with the taped on labels. Mendes kept it all very simplistic with radio transmitter and an explosive watch, as if to contrast with how everyday objects like phones are already gadgets themselves.

Then comes Fukunaga and it’s more quasi-futuristic gadgetry, for both Bond and villains starting with the magnetic vests.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One thing I’d love to see in B26 is Bond just living life: doing a few normal things like cooking, fixing a cocktail, or building something in a tropical location and “Underneath the Mango Tree” working its way into the soundscape.

That's something I loved about NTTD: seeing him get a shower, fish, make breakfast, relax at a bar, eating on the way to his car, etc.

I agree. I'd like to see a Bond between missions, minding his own business, when he stumbles into something unexpected, perhaps not unlike the opening of OHMSS but without the love complications. Or something along the lines of The 39 Steps and North by Northwest that presents. The villain who cheats at cards or whatever and encounters Bond several times before the inevitable take down has worn thin. I'd like to see some mystery and spying.

I feel Bond 26 needs to reinvigorate the series. A scenario in which Bond doesn't have access to technology might prove exciting. This may diverge from the Bond and series as we know it, but so what? Since its inception, the series hasn't been especially faithful to Fleming's Bond.

I'd like to see a return to a villain who's fun to watch, like GF. Enough of these boring villains like Waltz's Blofeld and Safin. (Two Oscar winners who managed to be utterly uninteresting.)

I liked Craig as Bond, and I consider CR as one of the two best Bond films, but his series of films didn't live up to his first film. SP and NTTD are good films; they're just not among the best in the entire Bond series.

At this point it seems we are years away from a new Bond. Whatever names were tossed around when NTTD finished filming in 2019 will be considerably older by the time filming commences on Bond 26.

I wonder if the wait will be worth it. This long gap between films is not building my enthusiasm for the next Bond film. It might be doing just the opposite.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 15,013
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I'd like to see a return to a villain who's fun to watch, like GF. Enough of these boring villains like Waltz's Blofeld and Safin. (Two Oscar winners who managed to be utterly uninteresting.)

We'd all like it to be brilliant, but I'm pretty sure they were actually trying to make great villains with those two. There was nothing wrong with their aims.

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Not every villain needs to be like Goldfinger, just like that every Bond song doesn’t need to be Shirley Bassey belting her voice out. Let Bond have some variety.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's something I loved about NTTD: seeing him get a shower, fish, make breakfast, relax at a bar, eating on the way to his car, etc.

Probably the best part of NTTD for me.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Probably the best part of NTTD for me.

Yes, for me as well. Still angry that we didn’t get to see Bond feed that cat and light up that cigar.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,006
    There’s a lot of Jamaica footage left on that cutting room floor. What about that fishing spear!?
    I honestly would've loved to see a DN-type throwback and have Bond in Jamaica the whole time. Felix and co. find out he's been hiding away there and figure he's a prime source for assistance in stopping some local terror from spiraling far out of control. Something, anything, that would've been very nice to see.
    Speaking of one location and digging deep into the local culture............................ I'd love to see this. Echoes of TB, YOLT, DN and OHMSS.
    There's no better opportunity for that than the next installment - strip it back, save $100 million on the budget possibly, and really milk whatever location it is for all its worth, culture, scenery, local populations, and all.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Get some good tax incentives and buy out a hotel for a few months. Sounds fun.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd certainly like to see Bond interact with some locals: in recent years he's been to China, Jamaica, Cuba... all sorts of places, and yet only spoken to people from outside those countries whilst he was there.
    I generally like the 'two locations' way of doing Bond though, with a third added one for the PTS.