Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• I suspect if Nolan does direct a Bond film, we’d probably see loads of callbacks to the likes of Majesty’s and the Dalton Films. Not exactly a unique direction seeing as how Craig’s era had some callbacks to those films as well, but I’d be interested to see what Nolan would do with it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Nolan has also cited THE SPY WHO LOVED me as a Bond favorite.

Imagine him shooting for a Lewis Gilbert style Bond film… it would be maddening.
  • Nolan has also cited THE SPY WHO LOVED me as a Bond favorite.

Imagine him shooting for a Lewis Gilbert style Bond film… it would be maddening.

From what I gather, Nolan really appears to be every bit as much a fan as us. He seems to be a real student of the character and the series in many ways, and I don’t think we’ve had that in a Bond director in a very long time.
    He said he took on BATMAN BEGINS partly because it was an opportunity for a childhood fulfillment, having been brought up on blockbuster adventures in the late 70s/early 80s like STAR WARS, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, SUPERMAN, and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

If he has that itch again, Bond seems like the opportunity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Except Mendes did it with a wit and sense of playfulness that Bond generally works best with.

Would you have expected that from Mendes before he was hired for SF? Fact is, we'll never really know how Nolan would make a Bond film until he actually makes one.

I guess the difference is that Mendes didn't display such an unchanging style in his work before Skyfall.
    mtm wrote: »
    Except Mendes did it with a wit and sense of playfulness that Bond generally works best with.

Would you have expected that from Mendes before he was hired for SF? Fact is, we'll never really know how Nolan would make a Bond film until he actually makes one.

I guess the difference is that Mendes didn't display such an unchanging style in his work before Skyfall.

Yeah exactly. And Batman, Inception and Tenet did have moments where they seemed like they were trying to tap into the sort of levity that Bond and some other blockbusters do well. But more often than not they didn’t land imo.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I, for one, would love to see a more 'mathematical' approach to Bond, at least once, and Nolan is the guy to do it. Obviously, I wouldn't want a distorted chronology or reality-within-reality situation, but a colder, more calculated game of chess between Bond and the villain sounds good to me, not unlike what we see in TDK. I guess SF comes close.

If Nolan never gets to make a Bond, I won't lose too much sleep over it, but if he does get the job, I'd be very intrigued, that's for sure.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,938
    That's a good point, actually - at this distance, the vague worry and bemusement that greeted Mendes being hired for SF has largely been forgotten. But it was there at the time. 'Sam Mendes? Really?! Er...' Etc. But he didn't do too badly, did he? First time out, anyway... ;)
    Nobody is perfect!
    Arf! Obviously there's quite a drop between SF and SP but, joking aside, I do still like it for what it is. I don't blame Mendes alone for any shortcomings either - it had a really troubled pre-production, a lot of which was out of his hands, and I've never been convinced that Mendes had fully changed his mind about not wanting to come back. I don't think his heart was in it, tbh.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    I do wonder if they’ll ask Mendes back to reboot Bond 26 given that his last film was received very poorly. I wouldn’t want this TBH, but I do wonder if returning to Bond could be seen as his comeback. They’ve been trying to make Skyfall 2.0, 3.0, etc…
    Mendes said he was offered the gig and graciously declined.

That at least confirms Eon is shopping for directors. But if Nolan is their guy, they’re not gonna make any announcements soon because Nolan has said he’s not going to be doing any work until both strikes have been resolved.

That at least confirms Eon is shopping for directors. But if Nolan is their guy, they’re not gonna make any announcements soon because Nolan has said he’s not going to be doing any work until both strikes have been resolved.

Makes me speculate perhaps there is a script after all?
    I'd be thrilled if there has been some effort in getting this film off the ground.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mendes declining to return is the best news for the future I've heard yet.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Makes me speculate perhaps there is a script after all?
    I'd be thrilled if there has been some effort in getting this film off the ground.

There’s ALWAYS a draft between films under Eon. There’s never been a point where there wasn’t. In all the major hiatuses Eon would have drafts being worked on just to give their future productions some kind of starting point.

Purvis & Wade had a draft being worked on for Bond 25, which then got shelved in favor of a different draft by Boyle and Hodges. Then when they exited, Purvis & Wade dusted that draft and continued more work on it.

If Nolan gets the gig, he’ll either take an existing draft and work from that (which he did with Batman) or start a whole new one himself.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,571
    Hold on, that article that Mendes said he declined an offer to direct Bond was a re-written piece from ten years ago . He said he was busy doing stage productions on Lear and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (which he was involved with in 2013, or something).

Mendes wasn’t asked to direct B26. That was a complete fabrication.

EDIT: here’s the quote :

Mendes told Times of India that he received a "generous offer" from the producers of the 007 series to come back for another one. He said making Skyfall specifically was "one of the best experiences of my professional life."
    However, Mendes said he's focusing on theatre projects right now, including the productions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and King Lear, which he said require his "complete focus."

He was attached to those plays a decade ago, if i remember correctly; I think this was before he came back to do Spectre. This was unfortunately a clickbait article released only a week ago, but lifted from the history books.
    Thank god Mendes said no. Had he done another Bond I feel it would be even worse than Spectre. He gave it all for Skyfall. Don't ruin your Bond legacy
    Peter's right - something called the TimesIndia took a Mendes quote from 2013 and inserted it into a new piece, in an attempt to make it look as though EON had recently asked Mendes to direct Bond 26. It was just a scam.
  • peter wrote: »
    Hold on, that article that Mendes said he declined an offer to direct Bond was a re-written piece from ten years ago . He said he was busy doing stage productions on Lear and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory (which he was involved with in 2013, or something).

Mendes wasn’t asked to direct B26. That was a complete fabrication.

EDIT: here’s the quote :

Mendes told Times of India that he received a "generous offer" from the producers of the 007 series to come back for another one. He said making Skyfall specifically was "one of the best experiences of my professional life."
    However, Mendes said he's focusing on theatre projects right now, including the productions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and King Lear, which he said require his "complete focus."

He was attached to those plays a decade ago, if i remember correctly; I think this was before he came back to do Spectre. This was unfortunately a clickbait article released only a week ago, but lifted from the history books.

I thought there was something fishy about that article. Thanks for the clarification Peter!
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    With the possible exception of Nolan already “in talks” following NTTD, I’m pretty sure Cary Fukunaga was right up there for helming Bond 26 (of course this before allegations of grooming young women). Barring that I have a feeling they wanted him back. Remember he originally pitched a reboot idea to Barbara.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    edited July 2023 Posts: 566
    [DELETED]
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    I would like to see the next Bond movie have a plot centered around Bond being am investor or trying to become a part of the villains organization; in order to bring it down from within. I was thinking it would be something similar to License to Kill, A View to a Kill or The Spy Who Loved Me. It acted as a good excuse for expositional dialogue by the villain, as they explained their vision to Bond without having to have Bond be captured. I also think this is something the Craig era lacked.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    I would like to see the next Bond movie have a plot centered around Bond being am investor or trying to become a part of the villains organization; in order to bring it down from within. I was thinking it would be something similar to License to Kill, A View to a Kill or The Spy Who Loved Me. It acted as a good excuse for expositional dialogue by the villain, as they explained their vision to Bond without having to have Bond be captured. I also think this is something the Craig era lacked.

It's interesting, I've seen something like that in:

* The Dynamite Comics: Agent of SPECTRE

* The Goldfinger novel, when Bond worked as a secretary for Goldfinger.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Or even in The Man with the Golden Gun novel when Bond works for Scaramanga. Maybe this is just what I am wanting to see adapted.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Or even in The Man with the Golden Gun novel when Bond works for Scaramanga. Maybe this is just what I am wanting to see adapted.

That is part of the story that LTK used. I do quite like that part, yes.
    It'd definitely be nice to see Bond go undercover again, where the threat of being found out hangs over him. It's something we didn't quite see during the Craig era.
    We almost had it a couple of times. Purvis and Wade's QOS script apparently had Bond infiltrating Quantum in order to work his way to Yusef, but Forster threw it out. Then the early SP scripts had Bond and a female CIA agent undercover as husband and wife on a mission run by Felix. Those scripts will still be in the vaults, so elements of them could easily be reworked in the new era.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,383
    I love Craig's Bond. But he didn't really do spy work like the other Bonds. Maybe because they focused more on his demons...so no time for true spying.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    We almost had it a couple of times. Purvis and Wade's QOS script apparently had Bond infiltrating Quantum in order to work his way to Yusef, but Forster threw it out. Then the early SP scripts had Bond and a female CIA agent undercover as husband and wife on a mission run by Felix. Those scripts will still be in the vaults, so elements of them could easily be reworked in the new era.

And there's still a hearty amount of original Fleming material that I'd kill to see them tap into and adapt.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And there's still a hearty amount of original Fleming material that I'd kill to see them tap into and adapt.
    Me too, mate - absolutely. Bond interrupting Horror and Sluggsy as they're about to rape and kill Viv Michel is crying out to be the PTS and that's just for starters.
    I love Craig's Bond. But he didn't really do spy work like the other Bonds. Maybe because they focused more on his demons...so no time for true spying.

Yeah, Paul Haggis said that he wrote Bond as 'an actual assassin', so it was probably a deliberate choice to emphasise that aspect and diminish the spycraft for Dan's run. Jason Bourne was explicitly an assassin, not a spy, so I guess that could've influenced the way they went. EON aren't competing with Bourne now, though, so there's a good chance that element won't get as much emphasis this time around and the new guy could well do more infiltration/investigative stuff.