Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I’m sure the critical and commercial success of Oppenheimer will put Nolan high on Eon’s wish-list of directors, but will it put him outside of Bond’s price range for a director? I have no idea how this works in the industry, could Nolan choose to keep his price down for Bond, or would that be unlikely for a professional?

For that matter, with his latest film being such a big success Nolan presumably is in a strong position to make whatever he wants; has he mentioned a wish list of projects he’d like to work on?
    I think we’re at a point where “Nolan’s next film” is an event. Doesn’t matter what film it is.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 487
    peter wrote: »
    Barbie’s trouncing Oppenheimer by a significant margin.I wouldn’t have guessed that, but there it is.
    Oh, come on! You can't hate Nolan this much. A 3 hour long, R rated non-action movie that isn't a sequel grossing this much on its first weekend is astonoshing and hasn't happened in a very very long time. And you are trying to present it as a failure.

EDIT: Never mind, just read your later comments in which you do say that the film is a big success.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

Regarding Nolan's price to direct, there is always community service. Volunteering services for the public good.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 5,985
    I still don't think Nolan is right for Bond, his fanboyishness aside, unless he's doing the woman-as-robot script for Bond 17.

I've seen enough Nolan. I'm much more interested in Gerwig and it *is* progress to ask a woman if she'd direct a Bond film:

"In her podcast appearance, Gerwig also addressed the prospect of her directing a film in the James Bond franchise, deflecting it for now. “Oh my God. We’re going to just stick with some lions and some dolls for the moment,” she said. “But you never know. I really like [Bond franchise producer] Barbara Broccoli, so…”"

https://deadline.com/2023/07/greta-gerwig-narnia-movies-netflix-bond-film-directing-potential-1235444778/

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,006
    As much as I find Nolan’s films flawed, there’s something to be said for perfect timing. It’s his turn. He’ll need more creative freedom than B+M will be comfortable with, but they can likely rest assured it will be a huge hit regardless of what Nolan does. Let’s get the show on the road…

Director: Christopher Nolan
    Cinematographer: Hoyte Van Hoytema
    Composer: David Arnold
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    As much as I find Nolan’s films flawed, there’s something to be said for perfect timing. It’s his turn. He’ll need more creative freedom than B+M will be comfortable with, but they can likely rest assured it will be a huge hit regardless of what Nolan does. Let’s get the show on the road…

I’d be far more interested in Ludwig Göransson getting a crack at a Bond score.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Barbie’s trouncing Oppenheimer by a significant margin.I wouldn’t have guessed that, but there it is.
    Oh, come on! You can't hate Nolan this much. A 3 hour long, R rated non-action movie that isn't a sequel grossing this much on its first weekend is astonoshing and hasn't happened in a very very long time. And you are trying to present it as a failure.

EDIT: Never mind, just read your later comments in which you do say that the film is a big success.

Thanks for the edit, I mean that sincerely.

Just to clarify @Colonel_Venus , I do find flaws in Nolan as a storyteller, but I don’t hate him.

In fact I’m on record as saying: even though I don’t want him as a Bond director, it’d be a savvy business move to hire him.
    Campbell should do the first one, it's tradition. Or Nolan does a trilogy? Either way we can't overshadow the new actor.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,392
    I think Nolan and Gerwig are both too famous to direct a Bond film that their names might overshadow the Bond film.

For me, choosing a director was like choosing a Bond actor, it should not be too popular or famous that they can overshadow the Bond film, that's Nolan, if he do direct a Bond film, his name might overshadow it, and instead of people watching the Bond film because of the Bond character or the quality of the film, they would watch it only because "it's directed by Nolan".

And of course, all of the future Bond directors would be likely to be compared to Nolan (if he do direct a Bond film).

And I think Gerwig directing a Bond film might've likely to get a flak from people and call it woke, I know it's coming and it would come, if they do, although I'm not one of them, I have no problem with women directing a Bond film, but it may draw controversy, that's for sure.

I'd prefer the next director to be more in the vein of Sam Mendes or yes, Martin Campbell (talented, artistic, and already have a reputation, but not too popular or famous).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We've never had such an incredibly 'famed' director of blockbusters for a Bond film before. It's hard to make any predictions at all. All I know is that when Billie and Zimmer were brought on for NTTD, some feared they'd be "unfit" for the job as well, yet I'd say they delivered good and "sober" work, respecful of the Bond tradition much more so than of their own usual brand. Perhaps a director like Nolan be willing to shift priorities too in that way. And besides, his Batman films tell me that he's not in this business to destroy beloved legacies.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I’d be far more interested in Ludwig Göransson getting a crack at a Bond score.

That would be good.
    My thinking was based on the fact that the 35 and up crowd complain that there are no films for them anymore; that it’s family pics and superheroes in the cinemas.

I believed that Nolan’s name, his cast, and the adult subject matter would have had a muscular first weekend.

I assumed Barbie would prevail over all, but I did really think Oppenheimer’s opening would have been closer, if not better than Barbie (I also didn’t believe Barbie would open as strongly as it did, so, 🤷‍♂️, I was off on both counts)

Word of mouth won't do Oppenheimer any good. The film isn't that great, and in the cinema last night you can sense when an audience is getting bored. Fidgety, many toilet breaks, mobile phones briefly lighting up everywhere, etc.

As people were walking out of the previous showing, I caught some of the reactions of people passing by `boring', `way too much talking', etc.

Going by Nolan's recent films, he should not be allowed anywhere near Bond.
    This Barbenheimer thing might be popular for now, but I think their box office would be surpassed by the later films this year, especially that the MCU and DCEU (The Aquaman and Blue Beetle) would've likely to have a showdown in November/December.

Many MCU films coming out this year (The Marvels, Kraven The Hunter to name a few), and I think those would've likely to surpass both Barbie and Oppenheimer, I mean do people today have a choice? The movie lineup for Summer isn't really that good? Maybe Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible, but are there anything else? I'm yet to see the box office of Insidious.

If not for that Barbenheimer tandem, if Barbie and Oppenheimer are both released in different dates, I doubt they would be successful, it's just a matter of publicity to gain more audiences, but individually, I doubt they would do well at box office.

Imagine in a scenario, where there's an MCU film in the Summer lineup, it would've likely to smash both Oppenheimer and Barbie, while not groundbreaking, but still.

Speaking of Nolan, he may not be that well at drama or biopics for that matter, but I think he could do well at action (see Batman).

And some biopics are really boring, really 😅.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    This Barbenheimer thing might be popular for now, but I think their box office would be surpassed by the later films this year, especially that the MCU and DCEU (The Aquaman and Blue Beetle) would've likely to have a showdown in November/December.

I can't see those doing better, not if The Flash couldn't. I guess Aquaman may do okay, but I'd be expecting Blue Beetle to not do much. It looks very average.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

I can't see those doing better, not if The Flash couldn't. I guess Aquaman may do okay, but I'd be expecting Blue Beetle to not do much. It looks very average.

I agree. If The Flash couldn't get people excited, I doubt Blue Beetle will. Aquaman may yet ride the waves of the first film's success, though.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

I agree. If The Flash couldn't get people excited, I doubt Blue Beetle will. Aquaman may yet ride the waves of the first film's success, though.

I can see people checking out Blue Beetle out of morbid curiosity. I’d argue Aquaman 2 might be an even bigger flop than The Flash however.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @007ClassicBondFan , you may be right: Aquaman has the producers sweating . They’re in well known re-shoots and edits to try and salvage a product that they’re all not happy with.

As an aside: I’ve met Jason Mamoa. He lived right by us while shooting his series See. One of the nicest guys ever. Hangs out on the Ossington strip and Kensington Market. Just a regular guy, very warm and laid back, and he really is a boisterous and happy person. He remembers names, and is polite and always says hello. He seemingly hangs out with the same crew of “dudes” every time he’s in Toronto, and they’re also great people.

He should give some of his fellow actors a lesson in how to appreciate fame and how to behave. He’s the real deal.

That’s why I wished I loved him more as a leading man, but alas…..
  • peter wrote: »
    @007ClassicBondFan , you may be right: Aquaman has the producers sweating . They’re in well known re-shoots and edits to try and salvage a product that they’re all not happy with.

As an aside: I’ve met Jason Mamoa. He lived right by us while shooting his series See. One of the nicest guys ever. Hangs out on the Ossington strip and Kensington Market. Just a regular guy, very warm and laid back, and he really is a boisterous and happy person. He remembers names, and is polite and always says hello. He seemingly hangs out with the same crew of “dudes” every time he’s in Toronto, and they’re also great people.

He should give some of his fellow actors a lesson in how to appreciate fame and how to behave. He’s the real deal.

That’s why I wished I loved him more as a leading man, but alas…..

If I was a producer on that film, I’d be sh@ting my pants too. I’ve heard that the film is undergoing a lot of reshoots. Some of the rumors were indicating that Michael Keaton was supposed to be in the film’s post credit scene, but was replaced by Ben Affleck, before Affleck was cut out entirely. I don’t know what is going on with the DC Brand, but as much as I love their characters, the brand itself has become too diluted by WB’s actions.

That’s why I’m grateful for what EON does, even if I may not like some of the films, I can put my trust in EON knowing that the final product won’t be some twisted Frankenstein monster of various visions and ideas.

I’ve heard Momoa is pretty down to earth. I wished I liked him more as well, but I will say that I enjoy his take on Aquaman.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think I watched about half of Aquaman but didn't make it through. It wasn't bad per se, but just stuff I'd seen a thousand times before. I've no idea why it was such a big hit.

I think that seems to be increasingly the case, which should worry the Bond folk a bit. Sure things seem to flop, and random films from out of nowhere are huge hits. It seems very unpredictable. Will we see a Bond film flop for the first time? Seems increasingly possible.
  • mtm wrote: »
    I think I watched about half of Aquaman but didn't make it through. It wasn't bad per se, but just stuff I'd seen a thousand times before. I've no idea why it was such a big hit.

I think that seems to be increasingly the case, which should worry the Bond folk a bit. Sure things seem to flop, and random films from out of nowhere are huge hits. It seems very unpredictable. Will we see a Bond film flop for the first time? Seems increasingly possible.

I saw Aquaman in theaters when it came out, but I’ve felt no need to revisit the film at all. It was a perfectly fine way to spend an evening, nothing more than that for me anyways.

You bring up a good point however. It seems a lot of high profile movies have been either flopping, or underperforming as a lately. I’m not really sure what that signifies, but EON must be paying attention to this. The way I look at it, if/when the first true “flop” of the series comes, EON will still have gone over 60 years without having a single box office flop. That’s one hell of an accomplishment for any studio.
    Will we see a Bond film flop for the first time? Seems increasingly possible.

There have been Bond film flops before: TMWTGG and LTK (or maybe even QoS).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't think QoS was a flop (unless I'm reading the numbers incorrectly) but it wasn't a box office behemoth either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I don't think they flopped. All the Bonds have been profitable.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yes, I don’t know the box office numbers, but I don’t think one James Bond film has lost money on the investment, they always turn a profit. Sixty years has been magical. May it continue to roll…

But, I agree with @mtm … the post Covid box office has been turbulent and unpredictable. Add these strikes, a slow down on production, rushed productions, poor scripts and direction, and people WILL start staying home (they’ve been burned one too many times by their favourite franchises/series).

Bond still seems to have that magic, though…

And now, they seemingly “have all the time in the world” to get the next one as right as they can. The stakes are definitely high, and nothing is a guarantee anymore…
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,025
    A more accurate term for less successful Bond films is “underperformed”. OHMSS, TMWTGG, and LTK were all considered under performers that made Eon take a course correction.

There’s also special cases like MR, DAD, and QOS, where they were actually very successful at the box office, but Eon still opted to make course corrections from those strictly for creative reasons, perhaps acknowledging how that in spite of being box office hits they weren’t the most critically acclaimed films.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,954
    Indeed. One of the major reasons why the franchise has been around for so long is because it hasn't had a flop. All of these films have made money. Some just underperform or have unfortunate circumstances that impacted their numbers.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    A more accurate term for less successful Bond films is “underperformed”. OHMSS, TMWTGG, and LTK were all considered under performers that made Eon take a course correction.

There’s also special cases like MR, DAD, and QOS, where they were actually very successful at the box office, but Eon still opted to make course corrections from those strictly for creative reasons, perhaps acknowledging how that in spite of being box office hits they weren’t the most critically acclaimed films.

Yes, I think that Eon will make course corrections in order to protect the brand, rather than simply chase the dollar like, say, the Fast & Furious franchise. Perception of the quality of the brand is obviously very important.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 12,837
    I think Nolan could make a good Bond film. The last few years have soured me on him a bit, but Bond being a grounded sort of fantasy might curb some of the weaknesses that have become more and more apparent (it’s not sci-fi for example, so while it’d be talky, the exposition wouldn’t be as bad as Tenet).

But ironically, as I know he’s said he’d only do it if he had the freedom to reinvent it, I think he’d have been better off doing a Craig film. It’s reboot time now and I can’t see whatever he’d come up with feeling different enough to be exciting. All his blockbusters are quite similar in terms of tone and feel, and he’s influenced his competition so massively that I feel like we’ve basically already seen a Nolan Bond film. Except Mendes did it with a wit and sense of playfulness that Bond generally works best with, and that Nolan just doesn’t seem to be able to manage even when he tries.

He’d be a safe but boring pair of hands imo. I really liked the last three films but even I’m ready for something that feels very, very new and different now.
    Except Mendes did it with a wit and sense of playfulness that Bond generally works best with.

Would you have expected that from Mendes before he was hired for SF? Fact is, we'll never really know how Nolan would make a Bond film until he actually makes one.

If he just makes it about the same as his past films, that would be a disappointment. But I would be curious to see Nolan actually going for that playfulness when he has Bond in his hands.