Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

I may not be also a fan of NTTD cinematography, for me, I felt the majority of the film's scenes are dark, the London scenes, the Cuba scenes and the finale at Safin's lair, I felt it's too dark, same for the Norway Chase, I felt that there's this dark blue-ish green (or is it torquoise color?) filter all around it.

One thing I didn’t get was why we kept getting these entirely top-down aerial shots introducing locations. Was it some way of de-marking the different acts of the film? It didn’t work for me, was just odd.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Remember how a bunch of you folks made bold claims that MI7 would blow NTTD at the box office showing Eon how it’s done?

Doesn’t look like that.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    mtm wrote: »

I may not be also a fan of NTTD cinematography, for me, I felt the majority of the film's scenes are dark, the London scenes, the Cuba scenes and the finale at Safin's lair, I felt it's too dark, same for the Norway Chase, I felt that there's this dark blue-ish green (or is it torquoise color?) filter all around it.

One thing I didn’t get was why we kept getting these entirely top-down aerial shots introducing locations. Was it some way of de-marking the different acts of the film? It didn’t work for me, was just odd.

I feel like it's a trend at the moment. It could be something to do with the popularity of drone photography. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I've seen that technique quite a bit lately. And I agree, I'm not keen on it. Reminds me of a 2D videogame.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »

I hadn't really thought about it, till you mentioned it. But you're right.
    It was an odd way to introduce a new location. It didn't really work for me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Remember how a bunch of you folks made bold claims that MI7 would blow NTTD at the box office showing Eon how it’s done?

Doesn’t look like that.

Yes I certainly thought that Maverick’s success would mean this would blow up; it looks like all films are struggling a bit this year (although I went to see Indy again yesterday and the screening was completely booked out: not even the smallest screen in the place despite being an older film now).
    I don’t follow box office figures very well but it seems this has either under performed or done decent business depending on who you ask. It always seems to be a matter of interpretation, it’s weird.
    I would say it’s actually doing fine by MI standards. But expectations were way blown off because many expected the success of TOP GUN: MAVERICK to somehow trickle down on MI7 just because Cruise was in it. It just goes to show that there’s no such thing as a sure thing in Hollywood, and I think that’s good, especially for Cruise. I don’t want that “savior of cinema” hype to get to his head. This movie is not failing.

But now it’s clear that the M:I series does have a ceiling at the box office and it’s not gonna come close to SKYFALL. Maybe by labeling it “Part 1” it made audiences feel less urgent to see it.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this now. A selection of the most recent comments in this thread seems more appropriate to the MI thread rather than one about, where Bond goes after Craig.
    Maybe the success of BARBIE will determine where Bond goes after Craig?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters

Is it the same for Oppenheimer?

Is it the same for Oppenheimer?

“Last time we killed Bond with a rocket. Now we’ll kill him with a NUKE”

For some reason I can image a remake of CR '67 with a Barbie-esque concept.
  • Benny wrote: »
    We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this now. A selection of the most recent comments in this thread seems more appropriate to the MI thread rather than one about, where Bond goes after Craig.

To be honest, I think we’ve already had just about every conversation on this particular topic to be had here in the thread.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »

To be honest, I think we’ve already had just about every conversation on this particular topic to be had here in the thread.

Don't worry, it'll still somehow reach a few hundred more pages, if not more, before anything official is announced.

Doesn’t look like that.

MI7 got crushed by Barbenheimer. Nobody predicted those films would be so big.

• peterpeter Toronto
    I suspected that these two films would have strong openings, but—

Barbie’s trouncing Oppenheimer by a significant margin.

I wouldn’t have guessed that, but there it is.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,981
    I think I probably would: Oppenheimer doesn't have huge mass audience appeal, does it?

There's not much Bond can learn though, other than to have a killer promo campaign (as Barbie has, and they've tailored it locally worldwide (with things like the pink TARDIS and 'Barbie-can' tube station in London), and maybe to make a feature of IMAX as Oppen has.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 2,943
    To be fair I can see why Barbie would do better than Oppenheimer. Must admit, the thought of watching a three hour biopic about the creation of the atomic bomb (which may or may not be a subject one is particularly interested in) isn't something I'd always be in the mood for even if people asked me to go and see it. You know it's going to be a slower cinematic experience, to put it kindly.

A silly/campy Lego Movie-esque film about Barbie dolls on the other hand? Weirdly yes, when asked by other people if I wanted to go and see that movie I've said yes, it sounds kinda fun. It's purely an advertisement thing and may not even represent how much I enjoy either of these films, but still.
    Oppenheimer is gonna make more in three days than MI7 made in 5. Barbie making more than it doesn’t matter. It’s still an amazing success especially given the type of movie it is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    My thinking was based on the fact that the 35 and up crowd complain that there are no films for them anymore; that it’s family pics and superheroes in the cinemas.

I believed that Nolan’s name, his cast, and the adult subject matter would have had a muscular first weekend.

I assumed Barbie would prevail over all, but I did really think Oppenheimer’s opening would have been closer, if not better than Barbie (I also didn’t believe Barbie would open as strongly as it did, so, 🤷‍♂️, I was off on both counts)

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,391
    Well, to be honest, I'm not interested in watching those, really.

I'm not that much into period pieces, so I'm not sure about Oppenheimer, and yes, I do find the film (from the trailers alone) a bit boring with many expositions about Physics and Nuclear Bombs, though, I think the acting would be really great in that one, if I'm Christmas Jones, I would've watched that one, but alas.

I think there's a chance of Oppenheimer getting a lot of Awards in the Oscars though.

Regarding Barbie, seeing the trailers alone, I felt it's a bit corny (especially Ryan Gosling), Margot Robbie is beautiful no doubt, and they've spent a lot of pinks in this one, I think it would be popular among young girls.

I don't know, I think it's too early for me to judge the films.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 727
    It did have a “muscular” weekend. Having a 75 mill opening for a three hour biopic is bonkers. That’s more than John Wick 4 or NTTD.

It’s also Nolan’s non-Batman best. More than Inception or interstellar.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,110
    Oppenhiemer had one of the biggest openings of the year, 70 million for a 3hr film about a person not many people know anything about is amazingly good. It's Nolans name, as well as the cast, doing all the heavy lifting with this one.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,524
    Adjusted box office for Inception is $73 million, not sure what Interstellar’s was. So it’s running up there with the best of his non-Bat flicks.

You boys are awfully excited about this when someone admits that their predictions were off in every way (both the stronger opening for Barbie, and that Oppenheimer wasn’t closer to Barbie, if not more than, in its opening weekend), 😂.

It’s a great opening.

EDIT: just saw the updated opening weekend numbers for Oppenheimer. Almost $90 million is a muscular opening, and once again, I happily stand corrected. 😂.

I wasn’t following too closely to all the numbers and projections leading into this— I’m still sitting on a beach til next week— but this is awesome. It’s great for cinema. It’s amazing that this film and Barbie aren’t Marvel and men in tights films; great for women directors. All round amazing news for the the hopeful and future health of an industry that’s been seriously injured with the pandemic and strikes and poor storytelling and direction.

I just didn’t see a Mattel brand killing Oppenheimer in the first weekend, that’s all.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Oppenhiemer will probably end with 250 - 300 million in the US and 500+ worldwide, that's astonishing for the type of film that it is. We'll see who is trouncing who when awards season rolls around, I suspect it'll be a very different picture...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oppenhiemer will probably end with 250 - 300 million in the US and 500+ worldwide, that's astonishing for the type of film that it is. We'll see who is trouncing who when awards season rolls around, I suspect it'll be a very different picture...

Well, that doesn’t take a nuclear physicist to figure out @Mendes4Lyfe . Barbie is not a prestige film (it may get some token noms (set design and the like, maybe a long shot nom
    for best original screenplay (with no chance of winning)).

It’s still a long way to Oscar season, Hollywood has a short memory, and more prestige films will be released in the fall, and December (including the mighty Matin Scorsese’s new film)), but it’s all but a guarantee that Oppenheimer will be rewarded with nominations.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    EDIT: just saw the updated opening weekend numbers for Oppenheimer. Almost $90 million is a muscular opening, and once again, I happily stand corrected. 😂.

I wasn’t following too closely to all the numbers and projections leading into this— I’m still sitting on a beach til next week— but this is awesome. It’s great for cinema. It’s amazing that this film and Barbie aren’t Marvel and men in tights films; great for women directors. All round amazing news for the the hopeful and future health of an industry that’s been seriously injured with the pandemic and strikes and poor storytelling and direction.
    Worth noting that OPPENHEIMER is rated R on top of being three hours long. So opening at $80m is pretty damn impressive for a film of that type.
    Yea, I definitely didn't see the Oppenheimer success coming. It seemed like one of Nolan's least commercial efforts of his late work.