Would you rather spend time in Venice with Tatiana (FRWL) OR Vesper (CR 06)

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Barry by default, but I liked Arnold's output a lot and would love to see him back.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Barry, of course. Arnold was doing a good job, but I'd rate him No. 3 after JB and George Martin. What is lacking for me in his work is memorable melodies that abound in Barry's creations. Still, Arnold's work is far better (at least for Bond movies) than what Thomas Newman wrote, and don't get me started on Hans Zimmer (the best thing I can say about his NTTD score is that it didn't interfere too much with the movie).
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    I should have guessed this would be a landslide for Mister Barry. I fall into the Barry camp as well. Without his music the swagger of Bond the action bits would not be as thrilling or dangerous.

Okay lets try this one

Would you rather watch Diamonds Are Forever OR Never Say Never Again?

It's a battle of final Connery Bond films. One in the official series and one un-official entry! Both films have their fans and detractors. But picture it's a Sunday afternoon and you are craving a light Bond film which one is getting played?
    I consider NSNA the epitome of Sunday Bond viewing, so I'll go with that. DAF any other day of the week.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,391
    NSNA, not even close, DAF is another of my least favorites (it's #24, just edged out by TMWTGG at #25), I'll take NSNA any day.

Everything in NSNA is better than in DAF (except the theme song and score).

• peterpeter Toronto
    I think his timing and humour were superior in DAF. And the lines were killer. Definitely DAF…
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Both are equal to being forced to drink raw sewage. But DAF is the legitimate Bond film of the two, so I would go with DAF.
  • DAF by far. I do enjoy Never Say Never but yeah, Sunday rainy afternoon type of film.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Both are equal to being forced to drink raw sewage. But DAF is the legitimate Bond film of the two, so I would go with DAF.

Now, don't attempt to hide your true feelings! =))

For me (just as bond films), it depends on what day it is, as both are fatally flawed IMO. That said, Connery's performance in DAF has its' moments (not Bondian moments mind you). There is a certain sparkle between him and Jill St. John that was missing between him and Kim Basinger in NSNA.

Plus, there is John Barry's continued run of great scores.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    You know what? I like both equally, as far as re-watching goes. I do think that NSNA is the better movie, not just compared to DAF, but about the lower third of the entire "official" franchise. But DAF has such funny dialogue (if not much else) that I have as little hesitation to see it again as I have with NSNA.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    While I agree that NSNA is a better movie by a bit, DAF is just SO much fun. "One of us smells like a tart's Handkerchief..." "I'm afraid you've caught me with more than my hands up." "Wrong pussy." Plus, one of the best bond scores EVER.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 8,700
    Wint and Kidd alone, however politically incorrect they may be by today's standards, save the day for DAF.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Obviously, NSNA is an odd Bond film. IMO, it loses to DAF in all but a few departments. But right now, I'd choose NSNA. Don't ask me why. It's just a curious feeling.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Obviously, NSNA is an odd Bond film. IMO, it loses to DAF in all but a few departments. But right now, I'd choose NSNA. Don't ask me why. It's just a curious feeling.

I recently scored a Japanese blu ray of NSNA, and it looks rather glorious. Much fun was had watching it again after so many years. I still enjoy DAF more though.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I recently scored a Japanese blu ray of NSNA, and it looks rather glorious. Much fun was had watching it again after so many years. I still enjoy DAF more though.
    Yeah, DAF is the better film, no contest.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    DAF, odd and camp and yet somehow compelling. That song! That score!
    NSNA. Top 10 for me.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited July 2023 Posts: 6,791
    I quite like both, though NSNA wins it for me. I just love that 80's atmosphere. I've also always been a fan of Klaus Maria Brandauer too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DAF is a fun movie despite it's issues, NSNA is average at best.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    I have much more fun with Diamonds.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    A closer battle than I would have predicted. As much as I enjoy NSNA I have to give the win to DAF. I absolutely adore the script and dialogue. The whole 70's vibe is cool and gives the movie a certain feel to it. Love the moonbuggy craziness of this film.

Okay on to another choice:

Would you rather watch all of Terence Young directed Bond films OR all of Lewis Gilbert directed Bond films?

Young has DN, FRWL, TB and Gilbert has YOLT, TSWLM, MR. Might make for an interesting battle!

So who's trilogy are you watching?
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 2023 Posts: 3,391
    As much as I liked Moonraker, I'd go with Terrence Young directed Bond films, for me, it's no question, very easy.

For me, maybe some here will answer Martin Campbell or Peter Hunt, but no one could beat Terrence Young and his Bond films, those films are the definitive ones, those that strongly defines the Franchise, it also helped that Young adhered too closely to Fleming, so that's a plus, no offence to Gilbert but yes, while his films are iconic blockbusters, it's not what Bond really is, as Fleming intended, meanwhile, the Bond films of Terrence Young showed the truth about Bond, of how Fleming envisioned Bond's world should be.

Terrence Young understand the Bond character, he knows the books.

Terrence Young had Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Thunderball, and they're all faithful to Fleming, and those films that combined the grandioseness, and the groundedness, but still keeping in line with Bond's roots.

Meanwhile Lewis Gilbert (YOLT, TSWLM, MR) all featured Bond as a caricature of itself, a self parody of the character, more over the top and often parodied in many other films.

No matter how many directors will go, it's still Terrence Young no one could still beat him, he's a Bond legend.

So, this is no question, Terrence Young by a landslide.

For me, the best comparison here would be Lewis Gilbert and Guy Hamilton, now that's something that would draw people.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 13,945
    Young, no question. Three of the very best - all three are in my top ten, while only Spy might sit in there. Also, three varied films with detective caper/lean thriller/epic adventure versus vehicle hijacking, recycled twice more.

EDIT: I'm actually hearing 'Forever Young' playing on the radio as I type this, which sums it up nicely. :))
    It’s a Young no-brainer for me as well.
    thedove wrote: »
    A closer battle than I would have predicted. As much as I enjoy NSNA I have to give the win to DAF. I absolutely adore the script and dialogue. The whole 70's vibe is cool and gives the movie a certain feel to it. Love the moonbuggy craziness of this film.

Okay on to another choice:

Would you rather watch all of Terence Young directed Bond films OR all of Lewis Gilbert directed Bond films?

Young has DN, FRWL, TB and Gilbert has YOLT, TSWLM, MR. Might make for an interesting battle!

So who's trilogy are you watching?

Terence Young all the way and without hesitation.
    I'll also vote for Terence Young, though I'd rather watch MR than TB. But two out of three ain't bad.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Young trilogy….
    Young, yes. I like the Gilbert films, but they're "less" than the Young films in all but some technical departments.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    Young, without a shadow of doubt.
  • Young’s trilogy. Though I think YOLT and TSWLM are much better than TB.