Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I expected that I would end up enjoying M:I more than Indy, and although it's better in many ways, I'm not sure I actually preferred it.
  • DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    It just occurred to me that
    Hunt loses Ilsa and Bond loses Vesper, both in Venice
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 303
    MI has underperformed. It took 56 million over the weekend. That's the same opening as No Time To Die.

MI6 opened earlier so made more but over its opening weekend it made the same as NTTD and that probably never made any profit for MGM. Overall ww gross 774. Maybe just broke even based on it's budget of 250 to 300. It's possible NTTD was a loss maker! Such is the crazy production cost of modern blockbusters.

Don't invest in film. You may never get a decent return. 😉
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 6,677
    mtm wrote: »
    I expected that I would end up enjoying M:I more than Indy, and although it's better in many ways, I'm not sure I actually preferred it.

Yes, I feel the same.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Heh! That's fun. Also: the hotel lobby staircase where Bond receives his phone call in Venice in CR is the very same location that the ambassadorial party in Prague in the first Mission Impossible takes place.

Heh! That's fun. Also: the hotel lobby staircase where Bond receives his phone call in Venice in CR is the very same location that the ambassadorial party in Prague in the first Mission Impossible takes place.

Oh, I never noticed that. Cool.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondywondy wrote: »
    MI has underperformed. It took 56 million over the weekend. That's the same opening as No Time To Die.

MI6 opened earlier so made more but over its opening weekend it made the same as NTTD and that probably never made any profit for MGM. Overall ww gross 774. Maybe just broke even based on it's budget of 250 to 300. It's possible NTTD was a loss maker! Such is the crazy production cost of modern blockbusters.

Don't invest in film. You may never get a decent return. 😉

The magic in Cruise's box office success is that his films of late have legs. I believe the opening weekend for Fallout ended up being only 18 percent or so of its total worldwide gross.

$235 million worldwide versus the previously estimated $250 million isn't bad at all.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    MI 7 is an international hit. Sorry to disappoint withbthis reality to those who get off on others failure. U know who u are.

The reality, unfortunately, is that the film won’t likely cross $700M worldwide and that means it won’t be able to make a profit theatrically given the $291M budget.
    It underperformed heavily in Italy, Spain, Germany and especially China where, over the 3-day weekend, it made less than what Fallout made on the opening day.
    DOM it came $15M lower than industry projection and it’s crazy to think that Dial of Destiny had a better 5-days opening. Obviously M:I will have far better legs but we have to face the reality that this time around the competition is insane and next weekend the drop will be brutal because Barbienheimer will make something in the $200M+ range and Sound of Freedom will still shine.
    The ceiling DOM imo is $180M and that’s exactly what made M:I-1 almost 30 years ago.
    Boxoffice analysis must be done with no emotions.
    I really liked the film and I’m a big fan of Tom but if you guys expect anything above Fallout I have an advise: lower your expectations.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I really liked the film and I’m a big fan of Tom but if you guys expect anything above Fallout I have an advise: lower your expectations.
    My feelings exactly!
    bondywondy wrote: »

MI6 opened earlier so made more but over its opening weekend it made the same as NTTD and that probably never made any profit for MGM. Overall ww gross 774. Maybe just broke even based on it's budget of 250 to 300. It's possible NTTD was a loss maker!

NTTD comfortably hit its break even point.

But let’s not forget that it came out with restrictions and fear still in place right after the lifting of lockdowns all around the world, after years of delays that jeopardized the hype and killed momentum especially in the USA.
    It was the first major global release since Endgame and it is still now the eight highest grossing live action Hollywood film since January 2020.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    NTTD, like all Bond films, it had ties in product placements so that always helps. Remember, Mexico City paid $20m for the pre-titles of SPECTRE. That just goes to show that not everything we see in these films is out of the pocket of a studio.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Just finished watching it with my son. We both loved it. We had trouble getting tickets to a screening on a Sunday afternoon. Theatre we watched it in was 3/4 full with many of the empty seats near the front. I saw teens, seniors and whole families in attendance. Many cheers and hoots during the movie.

Conversely when I was looking at Dial of Destiny there were no tickets sold for the 3pm showing. My son remarked, "oh wow we could have the theatre to ourselves." I may have been wrong on the theory that Indy would have legs and last longer. Looks like people are likely to wait till it appears on Disney plus by September?
    I didn't get any of the Hunt and Benji are bad or were bad. The only thing that it alluded to is the IMF gave all it's agents a choice, join us or spend your time rotting in a jail. I thought Haley was a great addition to the cast. She can handle herself in the action scenes, looked suitable shaken given her background as strictly a thief. I will be curious if in Part 2 she continues to be in this vein, or whether she gains confidence. The train sequence was well done, the bridge blowing up and the tension from it was wonderful. I highly recommend seeing it in a theatre, I saw it on a "regular" screen and it blew me away!
    Followed up DOD with MI. While DOD left me curiously uninvolved, MI was the thrill ride DOD wasn't. At this point everyone has staked out their territory with respect to the two films. For me the TC film was the better of the two.

A great point of comparison is the extended car chases in both films. One felt overly long while the other did not and was actually more humorous.

I doubt if intentional, but MI did seem to channel CR in spots. It remains to be seen if Bond 26 will channel MI.
    MI 7 is an international hit. Sorry to disappoint withbthis reality to those who get off on others failure. U know who u are.

The reality, unfortunately, is that the film won’t likely cross $700M worldwide and that means it won’t be able to make a profit theatrically given the $291M budget.
    It underperformed heavily in Italy, Spain, Germany and especially China where, over the 3-day weekend, it made less than what Fallout made on the opening day.
    DOM it came $15M lower than industry projection and it’s crazy to think that Dial of Destiny had a better 5-days opening. Obviously M:I will have far better legs but we have to face the reality that this time around the competition is insane and next weekend the drop will be brutal because Barbienheimer will make something in the $200M+ range and Sound of Freedom will still shine.
    The ceiling DOM imo is $180M and that’s exactly what made M:I-1 almost 30 years ago.

We'll see, won't we.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,381
    I really love the score @CraigMooreOHMSS. After listening to it in isolation several times, I discovered Balfe created an alternative Mission Impossible theme and weaved it throughout the score and it appears in different variations. Like in the magnificent track below, Chasing Grace.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,990
    I don't want to sound down on this film because it is a good film and very exciting, but I was thinking that another thing I wasn't keen on is
    literally everyone Ethan and team meets across the course of the film, including the Entity, knows who they are and their methods. Now it's not massively unusual for Ethan to be up against people who know him, but when everyone has a past with him or has been briefed on him, that means it's even harder for him to do any heist-y, Mission Impossible stuff tricks. It turns out that even Grace knows about him before they meet. You can't have a scene where, for example in Fallout, he meets the White Widow pretending to be someone else, because here she already knows him. The usual M:I gags are hampered. Obviously he can still wear a mask, which is the handy thing about M:I, but we're not allowed that, and there's a suggestion that the Entity would be one step ahead anyway.
    @mtm Another good point. I fear that, once the impact of the stunts has died down, these issue will become more obvious to the wider audience
    Arg...got to get this out of my system after the second viewing.

I left frustrated and was suprisingly bored throughout a large part of the runtime. I never once felt bored after I sat through DOD for the second time.
    Here are my main issues:
    A large part of the film is devoted to people sitting or standing in a room, explaining what the plot is. There are so many repetitions. We are told in several scenes the same information we just heard. Worst one is Benji, who is merely there to repeat things for someone in the cast, to make sure everyone in the audience knows what is going on. That is sloppy writing. One of the biggest no-no's as a screenwriter is resolving to "so what you are saying is, that..." info sharing. Benji does this all the time. And he is as incompetent as usual. The final piece of the puzzle to the bomb he is trying to disarm could easily be solved by simply rotating the last dial through, but that doesn't occur to him. And he still has trouble reading a simple map, so yet again he ends up giving wrong directions to Hunt on his motorbike. And Benji is supposed to be a part of a small and unique team that is saving the world? Really?

I hope MI:8 isn't just another Tom Cruise stunt reel where it looks like they make the story up as the go along, as long as all marks are checked in the end (*), and where character development takes a backseat. Bigger is not always better. One of the most classic MI scenes was the break-in at CIA in the first one. It's not a huge setpiece, but I would like more of that. Ingenious problem solving. Not endless talking and explaining and keys changing hands every 10 minutes to pass as suspense.
    (*)
    - Using a rubber mask.
    - Running a lot
    - Disarming a bomb
    - A car chase.
    - Setpieces dealing with heights
    - Taking directions from a teammember on a walkie talkie
    - Finding out who he can trust
    It's strange as Fallout did have some great scenes that built tension without having to jump off a cliff. McQ clearly knows the value of such scenes. (also gives TC and the team some space to act)...

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    There is a remarkably large amount of talking. I was pretty shocked how long that early scene with Mark Gatiss in the CIA or wherever goes on for. And they're constantly reiterating the huge stakes that everything has in a very serious voice, and I did slightly get the feeling that they didn't know what the plot was when they wrote a lot of those scenes, they just had to say stuff which sounds terribly important a lot, and kind of tying themselves up in knots to post-rationalise a lot of the things which we've seen happening with just more and more plotting.

And yeah, the list of things you mention did seem like a bit of a tick list of things to add. Especially Benji being a GPS.
    to be fair to him though, he doesn't get the map reading wrong in the motorbike bit: he knows exactly where he's sending Ethan

And I love these films, it pains me to react like that. I want to watch Dial of Destiny again now.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 3,169
    And yeah, the list of things you mention did seem like a bit of a tick list of things to add. Especially Benji being a GPS.
    to be fair to him though, he doesn't get the map reading wrong in the motorbike bit: he knows exactly where he's sending Ethan
    He certainly doesn't know the topography function of a map. Otherwise Hunt would be on level with the train, instead of looking down at it from the top of a mountain/cliff.
    @mtm They struggle to illustrate
    the threat of "the Entity" so there is too much exposition/talking about it. They don't have scenes to show the destructive power of "The Entity". For example, they show Gabrial blowing up the railway bridge using preset charges - very old fashioned. They could have had "The Entity" launch a Tomahawk missile from a Navy ship to show how much control "The Entity" has within defence IT systems and, therefore, the much wider threat. The initial launch (tracked by Luther) who did nothing in the climax and the "run in" down the valley towards the bridge would have added to the tension (if only I were on charge :-) )
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes that's a good point.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    He certainly doesn't know the topography function of a map. Otherwise Hunt would be on level with the train, instead of looking down at it from the top of a mountain/cliff.
    No; it's not shown as a surprise to Benji that Ethan is that high: it's his plan that Ethan parachutes down to it. He knows what he's doing but is nervous to tell Ethan.

We'll see, won't we.

Yup hopefully I’m wrong.
    The budget clearly ballooned because of Covid but this level of dedication to practical filmmaking deserves at least to comfortably break even, especially with such a nice reception.
    I really love the score @CraigMooreOHMSS. After listening to it in isolation several times, I discovered Balfe created an alternative Mission Impossible theme and weaved it throughout the score and it appears in different variations. Like in the magnificent track below, Chasing Grace.

Oh yes, this is a fantastic track, as i said 1 week ago, i like both scores (Fallout and DR). Balfe is the best choice for Mission Impossible
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 3,169
    Yes that's a good point.
    No; it's not shown as a surprise to Benji that Ethan is that high: it's his plan that Ethan parachutes down to it. He knows what he's doing but is nervous to tell Ethan.
    After Hunt does a SteveMcQueen
    Benji tells him to follow the trail, which leads him all the way to the top of a cliff, so Ethan can do the money shot and parachute right into the very spot on the train where a henchman is holding a gun. And moments later the villain just falls backwards on top of the fastmoving train and lands on the back of a truck parked by the road.
    Were McQ infected with Covid-19 while writing this?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes that's a good point.
    Benji tells him to follow the trail, which leads him all the way to the top of a cliff, so Ethan can do the money shot

That's right, yes. I can't tell, are you agreeing with me now?
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 303

We'll see, won't we.

Yes indeed. Assuming there is no movie going backlash over the SAG strike, Barbie and Oppenheimer will bite into MI7's box office. However given the precarious nature of post covid box office... who knows what will happen!

A realistic break even number would be 700 to 750 ww gross? If MI7 makes a fair bit less than NTTD , Paramount will be disappointed.

Yes that's a good point.
    Benji tells him to follow the trail, which leads him all the way to the top of a cliff, so Ethan can do the money shot

That's right, yes. I can't tell, are you agreeing with me now?
    Yeah, but if guiding Hunt there is deliberate, it just makes his incompetence even worse, IMO.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,061
    I read it as Benji knowing he was intentionally leading Ethan to the top, to the jump, but held of confirming it until he got to the top.