Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Saw it in IMAX, which is a must for this insanely spectacular and brilliantly staged and photographed film. I was on the edge of my seat, I laughed, I gasped at the incredible stunts - how he does this insane stunts is beyond me, and I found the emotional moments very touching. The cast are all great. I loved every second of it. Can't wait for Part 2.

Glad you liked it. The whole train sequence was honestly mesmerizing.
    Lots of Bond homages too.

Unfortunately, boxoffice is not looking that good folks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It looked very promising that first day then dropped off considerably, unfortunately. This summer is pretty surprising for the box office. Hopefully it picks up this weekend and folks are just waiting until then to see it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I saw it again tonight.

I enjoyed it once more. It's exciting, funny and relentlessly paced for a film of its length.
    My issues with it remain, however. I feel like they've veered too close to making Craig-era blunders with their retconning. Not only do they expect us to believe Ethan had some sort of a criminal past, but they expect us to buy that Benji had one too? Luther, I get; mainly because of how the first film presents his hacker abilities and outlines his previous jobs. But Benji was introduced to us as a do-gooder in a lab coat.

The film tells us that Grace is being offered a choice to join the IMF; why wasn't Ilsa? She was a disavowed agent with more use to the team on the previous missions, yet the idea of giving her a choice never came up. It's very mediocre writing and I'm quite surprised McQuarrie went that route.

I'm still not best pleased with what they did with Ilsa either, ultimately. What a wasteful end. There's no way that's a fake-out death either.

On the plus side, I enjoyed the villains a lot more this time and I think Pom Klementieff is quite outstanding. She has a wonderful villain's face. Cold eyes and unorthodox beauty.

This one will likely settle below the previous three films for me. It's still a good film with a large number of incredible attributes but the second viewing cemented the issues I had with it.

Still excited for Part 2.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I took off from work early Wednesday and the wife and I went to see M:I 7. Great fun, thrilling action as we expected. Truly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately for the 2h49min film at about 20 minutes from the end
    Ethan was juuuust about the leave the train with his speedflying device
    the lights in the theater went up and a fire alarm had us quickly evacuated. So we redirected to a nice restaurant and had a great meal together.

Likely to catch up with the ending later on streaming, not the theater's fault and I choose not to sit through the previous couple hours a second time. A true cliff-hanger for us.

5Z70.gif
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I haven’t read the previous comments as I am technically on vacation, which includes a vacation from all social media, but I just walked out of the theatre and had to share my thoughts.

Non-spoiler version: Go see it in the theatre.

Spoiler version:
    I don’t know if this is a great film, frankly I don’t even know if it’s a good fiöm. What it is, is incredible fun, if you like these kinds of films - and if you are reading this thread on this forum, I assume you do. Two things were going through my head:
    1. This is what the Bond films used to be.
    2. This is a feature length (over-length), feature budget season finale of a TV show
    The best action production team in the world with the best stunt and effects team in the world putting together some fantastic set-pieces held together with an absolutely hokum plot, very questionable dialogue delivered by very, very good actors and about a trope a minute.
    To get back to my opening for this: I had a lot of fun and everyone should go see it. I also think every scene that isn’t an action scene is pretty much bad and the filmmakers know and don’t care and neither should audiences. Take the major exposition scene in the beginning: It’s Indira Varma, Charles Parnell, Mark Gatiss (!) and Rob Delaney (!!) shot in Dutch angles spouting absolute nonsense to Cary Elwes only to get Knock-out gassed by Hunt in a mask (wearing another mask) so he can have a conversation with Henry Czerny. It’s incredible in every possible sense of the word.
    To go on with the point about this being what Bond films used to be: Oh my god is this film a middle finger to Eon. All that’s left would be for Chris McQuarry to write „Look what you could be!“ on an envelope with a BluRay of this film and handing it to BB and MGW. Some of these sections are pure Roger Moore slapstick action, down to the small yellow car, while handily one-upping that other Rome car chase and credibly trying to give John Wick a run for his money here and there (and not really succeeding, but only barely). Any holdups there might still have been about Austin Powers and 60 years of these films having oversaturated every possible plot point and turn: Throw it all out the window. Everything in this film is exactly as you would expect it and it still works. Pom Klementieff‘s character is basically Jaws and she’s perfect. Shea Wigham and Greg Davis are a duo of bumbling law men hunting our hero but in the end turn around to help him and they are perfect. I hope Vanessa Kirby can still be in a Bond film after this, because her several layers of work here are great (and yes, the White Widow is just about exactly what you expect the arms dealer character to be). Same for Hayley Atwell, who is basically doing 70s or 80s Bond girl mixed with every female lead who came into a TV show in Season 4 to replace the previous lead.

I am in free association mode and just rambling. Again, I had incredible fun. The film is incredibly flawed. It doesn’t matter.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS
    Ilsa joining IMF at the start also makes sense re the ending of Fallout as Lane being passed to security services via the White Widow effectively ending Ilsa's obligations and was free to move on. We never got to see her as a full member and IMHO, the chemistry within the team would have been great
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    I'm back from the cinema and I left my seat very satisfied.
    The action is very good. The car chase is the perfect entertainment and the last action scene shines because they managed to do something I've never seen before.
    Ilsa didn't have enough good scenes the shine. It feels like we had to get rid off her so that Grace could get enough screen time. The good thing is that Grace is very likeable, too.
    Some mentioned that Benji is a bit annoying because he messes up too much. Where did he fail here? I didn't feel this way at all and liked him as much as always.

Why isn't Ethan allowed to kiss any woman in this film? Okay, Grace is maybe too young. But Ilsa was totally ready for him in Venice, wasn't she? 🙃This is the big plus for Bond: He knows how to seduce women.

Why did we need this backstory where Gabriel killed a woman Hunt cared about? It isn't explained at all.
    I have to admit it: the action in the M:I films is (overall) definitely more outstanding than in the Craig Bond films. Dead Reckoning is a fantastic action movie! However, I don't care for the character Ethan Hunt. If he would die in the next one, I wouldn't care. Cruise is an action hero but Hunt isn't interesting.

That moment on the rooftop in Venice is incredibly weird. Everything Leads towards them kissing there and sex being implied and everything afterwards works way better if their relationship becomes physical there, but instead she just … … kind of weirdly rubs her head against his shoulder with their backs to the view?
    Someone said it somewhere else, but it is a real shame how utterly uninterested in or incapable of any kind of sex appeal these late Tom Cruise/M:I films are and something even the bad Bond films still beat them handily.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It looked very promising that first day then dropped off considerably, unfortunately. This summer is pretty surprising for the box office. Hopefully it picks up this weekend and folks are just waiting until then to see it.

It’ll probably do fine as any of the M:I. I think people wildly overestimated how well it would do based on TOP GUN: MAVERICK. Despite having the same star, people flocked to that film for different reasons than they would have for another MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 6,677
    I saw it again tonight.

I enjoyed it once more. It's exciting, funny and relentlessly paced for a film of its length.
    My issues with it remain, however. I feel like they've veered too close to making Craig-era blunders with their retconning. Not only do they expect us to believe Ethan had some sort of a criminal past, but they expect us to buy that Benji had one too? Luther, I get; mainly because of how the first film presents his hacker abilities and outlines his previous jobs. But Benji was introduced to us as a do-gooder in a lab coat.

The film tells us that Grace is being offered a choice to join the IMF; why wasn't Ilsa? She was a disavowed agent with more use to the team on the previous missions, yet the idea of giving her a choice never came up. It's very mediocre writing and I'm quite surprised McQuarrie went that route.

I'm still not best pleased with what they did with Ilsa either, ultimately. What a wasteful end. There's no way that's a fake-out death either.

On the plus side, I enjoyed the villains a lot more this time and I think Pom Klementieff is quite outstanding. She has a wonderful villain's face. Cold eyes and unorthodox beauty.

This one will likely settle below the previous three films for me. It's still a good film with a large number of incredible attributes but the second viewing cemented the issues I had with it.

Still excited for Part 2.

I agree with everything you said, my friend. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Fallout. Even in the cinematography department, Fallout wins with its desaturated 90's thriller look. It has the better soundtrack too. And none beats the DePalma first film in its suspense and intrigue. And nothing really surprised me in DRp1. Everything was expected, no twist really got to me. The writing was frankly very poor, with exposition after exposition. I loved the Fiat500 chase, though. Best part of the movie, for me. But
    Ilsa dying, damn, I can't get past that. She was the best thing to ever happen to the series. All and all, Fallout is superior in every way. Still very much looking forwards to part 2, of course. Cruise is the man.

And, for me, as of now, the ranking is:

M:I
    Fallout

Ghost Protocol/Rogue Nation

Dead Reckoning
    M:I2/M:I3

But I like them all. It's not as though the last ones on the list are even remotely bad. They all have been consistently entertaining and very good productions.

Looking now for a $70-75M 5-days.
    John Wick 4 did $73.8M 3-days.
    Damn.

The worst thing you could do these days for a movie is rely mostly on “””old””” white people. EoN must find a way to initiate a wider demographic with Bond for the next one.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 3,169
    matt_u wrote: »

Looking now for a $70-75M 5-days.
    John Wick 4 did $73.8M 3-days.
    This does not surprise me at all. Venom, that awful Jurassic World sequel and plenty more also made more than MI Fallout in 2018.
    When I went to see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny with six other people - mostly family - not one of them wanted to go with me a couple of weeks later to see MI:7. Because Ethan Hunt is not an icon, like Indiana Jones and James Bond. The MI movies are just rollercoasterrides (and without doubt the best executed), but with scripts and stories that doesn't attract the wider appeal that these movies deserve, IMO. Yes, there are edge-of-your-seat moments, but if we take a step back and look at the plot for the last three, they are not especially well written and only serve as a vehicle for Cruise to do cool stuff.

Comparing JW4 with MI7, MI7 for certain has the upperhand storywise. JW4 is just ludricous action, that goes on and on. Like playing a Call of Duty game in 'God mode'. In the beginning of the movie we see John Wick chasing someone on horse through the desert. He ends up where someone is sitting in a chair, just there in the desert. No shade, no tent. It makes no sense what so ever. But the whole scene looks cool. JW4 has 94% on RT.

Compare this to MI:7 who also has desert scenes. Even a recycled sandstorm. At least - up to a point - it would make sense for Ilsa to hide there. But where JW4 has a very defined audience - even fangroups who love this kind of stylized action - the MI movies really have none it seems. Is there even an official MI fanclub?
    Saw it last night on IMAX. Brilliant! Edge of your seat action thrills, breath taking, jaw dropping real stunts, not too much noticeable CGI, fast-paced, and came out of the cinema blown away, on an absolute high. Cruise still knows what makes cinema audiences tick, and has proved it once again. Basically how I used to feel watching Bond at the cinema.

Bond producers take note, because I didn't feel this way watching NTTD.
    Saw it in IMAX, which is a must for this insanely spectacular and brilliantly staged and photographed film. I was on the edge of my seat, I laughed, I gasped at the incredible stunts - how he does this insane stunts is beyond me, and I found the emotional moments very touching. The cast are all great. I loved every second of it. Can't wait for Part 2.

Actually, box office is looking good with US estimated to be second highest MI opening since no. 2, and international figures are already higher than estimated. It was packed out when I saw it.

Actually, box office is looking good with US estimated to be second highest MI opening since no. 2, and international figures are already higher than estimated. It was packed out when I saw it.

Last week industry projections pointed to a $90-100M 5-days opening. Now it looks like is gonna be in the $75M range, with the Barbienheimer phenomenon storming the boxoffice next week… not looking good.

Last week industry projections pointed to a $90-100M 5-days opening. Now it looks like is gonna be in the $75M range, with the Barbienheimer phenomenon storming the boxoffice next week… not looking good.

The industry reports indicate it's a strong opening, bigger than Fallout etc., so to say it's not good looking good is not really fair, even if it's below some initial forecasts. It's looking like $240 million worldwide opening. And it's opened well in China.

Word of mouth will probably help this movie, as it is absolutely brilliant and needs to be seen on the big screen. I'm guessing this film will have legs to carry it.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,343

The industry reports indicate it's a strong opening, bigger than Fallout etc., so to say it's not good looking good is not really fair, even if it's below some initial forecasts. It's looking like $240 million worldwide opening. And it's opened well in China.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/254590830-Weekend-predictions-Dead-Reckoning-headed-for-softer-than-expected-debut

Colonel, unfortunately, no.
    Not saying it is bad. I’m saying that is performing below expectations and legs will be hurt by Barbie (headed to even a $400M finish domestic) and Nolan (he secured most IMAX screens for three weekends in a row).
    The unexpected phenomenon of Sound of Freedom in the US will hurt too, given the fact they share the same white males demo.
    In China is pulling off NTTD numbers, so it will likely finish $80/100M shy of Fallout.
    Result: won’t likely cross $700M globally*. It needs $730M~ to break even.

*Hopefully I’m wrong bout that…

Word of mouth will probably help this movie, as it is absolutely brilliant and needs to be seen on the big screen. I'm guessing this film will have legs to carry it.

I agree, but, again, the opening figures are still very good. A bit lower than estimated in US, but still strong and higher than estimated internationally.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 303
    The actors strike may have a big impact on the box office? Obviously Tom Cruise is considered a big film star with great longevity however casual film goers may think "the average actor isn't getting paid well, I support their strike to get decent pay so why should I support a guy getting 30 million per film (or whatever high amount it is)?" MI7 may be impacted by the strike.

If enough casual film goers care enough about the WGA and SAG strikes it may spell even worse box office for the rest of 2023.

If Barbie and Oppenheimer open to poor ish box office then maybe the strike is having an impact. Another reason why many films are underperforming is the cost of living? People have less cash to spend on seeing lots of films? Perhaps.
    The strike has zero impact towards current boxoffice. It’s a problem for films under production. Shooting for Dead Reckoning 2 has been halted for example.
  • Regarding a much derided plot point in here, am I the only one that thought it was implied:
    Ethan was never a criminal. His only crime was the murder Gabriel framed him for. All other talk about his life before just meant he was still in a jam and had to live with the ramifications of this.
    I dislike a recton as much as the next chap, but am I missing something?

This keeps coming up in a lot of people's spoiler tags so, again, either I'm very confused, or a lot of you are.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 4,602
    I know I'm over thinking but
    who or what is the bad guy? The Entity is just source code. Someone created the code. Who were they and what was their motivation? The movie seems to treat "The Entrity" as the actual villain. The audience will never be able to relate to a pure computer as the villain. Gabs seems to be the representative of the Entity, not it's creator. There are many movies where a computer as threatened to "take over" but the writers realised that a human form of the computer was needed in order to create a threat that the viewer could relate to - Terminator 2 a good example, or even the voice for Hall 9000. There was much talk in MI about "The Entity" but it never actually did anything visible to show it's evilness or demonstate is alleged huge power.
    patb wrote: »
    I know I'm over thinking but
    who or what is the bad guy? The Entity is just source code. Someone created the code. Who were they and what was their motivation? The movie seems to treat "The Entrity" as the actual villain. The audience will never be able to relate to a pure computer as the villain. Gabs seems to be the representative of the Entity, not it's creator. There are many movies where a computer as threatened to "take over" but the writers realised that a human form of the computer was needed in order to create a threat that the viewer could relate to - Terminator 2 a good example, or even the voice for Hall 9000
    The entity had a source code that has since evolved and aglutinanted other data vehicles, and has acquired an agenda of its own. The way I see it, its main agenda is survival and growth. Gabriel, I think, is being manipulated by the entity into thinking its main goal has something to do with pshychopathic destruction and death. But he is just a pawn. The only thing this new entity wants is to exist. If that happens by way of destructing civilisation as we know it and manipulating states and countries in order to control and maintain its power, so be it. I believe those who created the entity didn't create it, they simply created an ever evolving learning military strategic program, that latter evolved into this entity with its own conscience and agenda. About the human form, well, that's why they got Gabriel, so we could empathise. The brilliance of a good script (which this isn't) would be to manipulate the existing players into the things the entity wants to happen, with no middle man. But I guess the entity itself thought it should have a human arm because, well, sometimes a trigger has to be pulled. The way they made de entity more scary and human/animal like was by means of the sound it makes in the soundtrack, which was very frightful and animal like. Anyway, just my two cents on it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Regarding a much derided plot point in here, am I the only one that thought it was implied:
    Ethan was never a criminal. His only crime was the murder Gabriel framed him for. All other talk about his life before just meant he was still in a jam and had to live with the ramifications of this.

This keeps coming up in a lot of people's spoiler tags so, again, either I'm very confused, or a lot of you are.
    It's more the implication that every member of the IMF has a similar background that led to them being offered "the choice" that makes little sense to me. I know the agency is depicted inconsistently throughout the series in terms of its size/status, but this seems like such a big thing to introduce at this point.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Regarding a much derided plot point in here, am I the only one that thought it was implied:

It's more the implication that every member of the IMF has a similar background that led to them being offered "the choice" that makes little sense to me. I know the agency is depicted inconsistently throughout the series in terms of its size/status, but this seems like such a big thing to introduce at this point.
    It would also go so far as to explain why so many former IMF agents are villainous.
    Jim Phelps
    Sean Ambrose
    Musgrave
    Considering it seems that the IMF is recruited from a criminal history, then the backstory we get in MI:DR makes more sense.
    whilst AI is clearly "flavour of the month", that in itself does not make it great re a "bad guy". It takes MI into the realms of sci-fi rather than a good old fashioned nuclear bomb. You could see the signs in Ghost Protocol they they were struggling to come up with original bag guys/motivation
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2023 Posts: 40,492
    It's still eyeing a global opening weekend of around $240 million:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-tom-cruise-1235434821/

And personally:
    I think what they're doing with the concept of AI is fresh enough that I'm loving the idea of The Entity. The fact that Gabriel ran through all permutations and realized Paris would betray him, just because Ethan spared her life, and decided it was best to kill her on the train was very cool to see.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

A friend of mine who's a massive fan of the series came up with this theory last night
    he thinks that the reason they gave Ethan that backstory is because he'll sacrifice himself at the end of DR2, to kill the Entity and save Grace, who will become the "team leader" going forwards. So she will owe her life to the IMF and continuing his legacy. Personally, I'm not a big fan of that, but it wouldn't shock me.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 3,169
    The unexpected phenomenon of Sound of Freedom in the US will hurt too, given the fact they share the same white males demo.
    With only a budget of 15mio$, still no distribution outside the US and still grossing 50mio$ in the 1st week just in the US, this is a dark horse, that should get Hollywood thinking.