Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Sorry to ask, but for those who have seen it, does Lorne Balfe's score for the film tops his Fallout score?

No, not for me.

Oh, does it lack melody or something?

It just wasn't as memorable for my money. There were a couple of nice piano led cues but for the most part it was just a lot of percussive thumping and blaring horns without any finesse. No bongos either, so there was nothing as fun as 'Stairs And Rooftops' from Fallout.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,368
    Sorry to ask, but for those who have seen it, does Lorne Balfe's score for the film tops his Fallout score?

No, not for me.

It just wasn't as memorable for my money. There were a couple of nice piano led cues but for the most part it was just a lot of percussive thumping and blaring horns without any finesse. No bongos either, so there was nothing as fun as 'Stairs And Rooftops' from Fallout.

Oh, I get the message now. I really liked Stairs And Rooftops from Fallout and expected such from DR. I'll still listen to the score though. I just needed respectful opinions about the score before listening.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Not surprised. Balfe is one of the most dreary composers. Another Zimmer clone without talent.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

No, not for me.

Oh, I get the message now. I really liked Stairs And Rooftops from Fallout and expected such from DR. I'll still listen to the score though. I just needed respectful opinions about the score before listening.

No problem - I hope you get a bit more enjoyment out of it!
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 3,169
    My take: Good, not great. But a solid entry.

What I liked:
    - the two setpieces
    - the Venice scenes
    - the bombastic and loud score. Zimmer would be proud.

Dislike:
    - the villain. Doesn't really have any truly standout moments and his dialouge is not particularly well written.
    - Benji. Okay, he was fun as a comic relief three movies ago, but now I just find him and his incompetence annoying.

Except the money shot that everyone has been talking about, I didn't see anything that I haven't seen before in some form.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2023 Posts: 40,474
    Just got back, I really, really enjoyed it but I don't think anything is going to top Fallout in this series. The setpieces were great, that entire finale was really breathtaking and had me on the edge of my seat, and I loved the new characters. I did think the retcon setup for the villain was annoying (never a fan of those) but that was the only main complaint I had. Loved how it felt complete but wonderfully sets up Part 2. I also thought the pacing was brilliant, it moved so fast and felt like I barely blinked before the credits started rolling. Really good stuff.

I'd put it at #2 or 3 in my ranking, probably 2, but I'd like to see it a couple more times to be sure.

I also loved Pom's villainous Paris. Brilliance, one of the best characters in the series. She was so frenzied throughout, and I liked how:
    Gabriel saw her betrayal through the Entity because Ethan spared her, leaving her to be the catalyst for Ethan continuing his mission come Part 2 - and meaning he could've killed Gabriel had he known that information just a few minutes prior. I'm really, really glad they left her unconscious in the end instead of dead because she has got to return for the next one, in cahoots with Ethan this time.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,430
    I might save my thoughts for later... doesn't top Fallout for me and likely won't be as regular in my repeat rotation, I can already tell. But it was still good stuff. I noticed a Neil? Corbould as the SFX Coordinator or Supervisor in the credits, are they related to Chris?
    dead reckoning was incredible bond has work to do get mcqiure to take over bond now! seeing all the mission impossible films before viewing is essential!
    its better than fallout
    An excellent review in today's NYT. Interesting take of TC's star power and how TGM managed to outdraw all the competing DC and Marvel films during its release.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I might save my thoughts for later... doesn't top Fallout for me and likely won't be as regular in my repeat rotation, I can already tell. But it was still good stuff. I noticed a Neil? Corbould as the SFX Coordinator or Supervisor in the credits, are they related to Chris?

Yep, theyre brothers.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/oscars-corbould-brothers-black-widow-eternals-no-time-to-die-1235081315/
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 252

The part from 3:04 to end is awesome
    am i the only one who liked the movie? it seems there are alot of bad reviews
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Have you read any of the other comments in this thread?
    They’re mostly all positive.

3245.jpg

• edited July 2023 Posts: 118
    Benny wrote: »

@Benny it just seems people hate it though and no one hated fallout and its not as good as fallout and people are doing a competition war between the two @Bernie99

@Benny it just seems people hate it though and no one hated fallout and its not as good as fallout and people are doing a competition war between the two @Bernie99

What does it matter?
    Nearly all the reviews I’ve read, say it’s a good film.
    I saw it on the weekend and enjoyed it very much.
    There are a few issues I had with it. I’ll make a spoiler free post on that later.
    But if you enjoyed MI:DR what else matters?

What does it matter?
    Nearly all the reviews I’ve read, say it’s a good film.
    I saw it on the weekend and enjoyed it very much.
    There are a few issues I had with it. I’ll make a spoiler free post on that later.
    But if you enjoyed MI:DR what else matters?

i did really like it alot but people seem to put fallout at 100% score and untouchable nothing will ever beat it i mean fallout was great but untouchable? its like if it will never be as good then why bother seeing these films I don't get it. people say its not as good and disappointing. @Benny
    https://www.timeout.com/movies/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-2023 (spoilers) better than bond? Is there supposed to be competition or rivalry? I like both
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,882
    Okay, I'll give a brief review of Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning part 1 but please be warned, massive spoilers in this post.
    The opening on the sub is fine,and sets up the rest of the movie. The Entity is truly a scary thing when we think about it. It's like The Terminator but closer to reality than we'd like.
    The scene where Ethan is given his mission is one of the first areas I didn't really like. We're told that Ethan was a criminal, on the wrong side of the law, and the IMF recruited him and gave him a pardon if he took on a mission. All the way through the series, I believed that Hunt was solid, good. Yes, it's only a single line and in his past, but we want our heroes to be, well heroes.
    What if James Bond once worked for Spectre, or John McClane was a former bank robber, or Batman and Superman were once criminals. It weakens the character just a little bit for me.
    I really like that Henry Czerny has returned as Kittridge, he was great in MI, and he's still great in this entry. However, the meeting towards the start of the film is not a plus point. It seemed obvious that Ethan was this unknown man that entered the meeting. There are a few times when the film isn't quite as sharp as some of Christopher McQuarries other Mission Impossible films. At times it needed a little bit of a polish I feel.
    I did like that Ethan escapes using a Kittridge face mask.
    The stuff in the desert was okay, but nothing special. Faking Ilsa's death at the beginning of the film was not really needed, especially as she actually does die later in the film. (If she appears in MI: DR2 and her death was faked, I'll be slightly angry as they will have played the same trick twice). As much as I like Ilsa and Rebecca Ferguson is awesome in the role. There really isn't a lot for her to do here, and it makes sense to sacrifice a member of the team. Especially when they've introduced a new character in Hayley Atwell's, Grace.
    I wasn't sold on her in the trailers, and she seemed like someone who could be annoying, but I really enjoyed her. She's a good actress and plays the part really well. She fits the tone of the film, and is competent, without being a spy on the IMF level.
    Another character who I really enjoyed was Paris, the henchwoman of the bad guy, Gabriel. As played she's totally nuts, lets nothing get in her way, and is super fun. The way she assists in the end of very MayDay in AVTAK, though more believable here.
    Whilst Gabriel isn't the strongest villain the series has given us, I like Esai Morales. He gives off a creepy, yet confident vibe. You're never quite sure what he's capable of.
    Another gag, I really liked was the two agents pursuing Ethan, pulling on peoples faces to see if it was a mask. Though it could be seen as silly, it worked well.
    Visually the film is stunning. The locations are breathtaking, and cities like Rome are utilized like Bond films used to use such locations. Although, the car chase is like nothing seen in a Bond film.
    The same with the train sequence and motorcycle jump towards the end of the film. I literally found myself on the edge of my seat. The tension for this scene goes all the way too 11!
    Tom Cruise is his usual likable self as Hunt, and he really is fantastic in the role. He's giving it his all in this one, doing amazing stunts, and also getting some of the films more humorous lines too. A few times during the duration, I thought he's starting to look a little old, but then he is past Roger Moore's age in AVTAK, and doing more elaborate stunts than Mr. Moore or any of the Bond actors have ever done.
    This is a good film, and I really did enjoy it. Whilst it's never boring and the pace is good, I do feel it could have been trimmed by about 20-30 minutes here and there.
    I did like that they don't leave us on a cliffhanger, rather more of an intriguing point in which to continue the story.
    I'll be first in line for part 2, I have a gut feeling that it will be a great conclusion.
    At present, I'd rank it third after Rogue Nation and Fallout. Both of which are pretty interchangeable with each other.

If you clicked the spoiler tags and read any of this before seeing the film, then you only have yourself to blame.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 4,600
    @Benny Fair comments.
    IMHO, you can have the best stunts ever but, in the long term, emotional connection with characters is what makes a classic (we see this with Bond). McQ is clearly a brilliant director (the first scene is Exhibit 1) but it's the character stuff that lets things down. They have been trying to develop this in previous movies with patchy results. Sorry, (the innevitable comparison) we have seen nothng in MI that compares to the relationship between DC and JD. Great movies need to be more that just a set of great stunts. As with NTTD, I find myself re-wrtting the script in my head, never a good sign

Ilsa should, for the first time, been a fully fledged member of the team, showing all of her skills and sparking/banter with Hunt, (there could have been some great dialogue hinting that she would take over the team at some point) building her relationaship with Hunt and the others. She should have died much later, on the train. Grace should have been a much younger character, with a sort of uncle type relationship with Hunt. A smaller role (so not to conflict with Isla,) but confirmation at the end that she is now part of the team, injecting youth/new life into a devestated team. Lastly, Im a sucker for the cliched ending where all of the team meet and move on. This should have been at Ilsa's funeral, confirming she is dead, showing the teams affection for her with Hunt given the cheesy line and revealing that he did get the key on the train (so Ilsa's death was not in vain) as they move on to gain revenge in Part 2. Obtaining the key but losing Ilsa would have been a bitterseet ending to Part one IMHO (pure Wrath of Khan I know)
    Okay, I'll give a brief review of Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning part 1 but please be warned, massive spoilers in this post.
    The opening on the sub is fine,and sets up the rest of the movie. The Entity is truly a scary thing when we think about it. It's like The Terminator but closer to reality than we'd like.
    The scene where Ethan is given his mission is one of the first areas I didn't really like. We're told that Ethan was a criminal, on the wrong side of the law, and the IMF recruited him and gave him a pardon if he took on a mission. All the way through the series, I believed that Hunt was solid, good. Yes, it's only a single line and in his past, but we want our heroes to be, well heroes.
    What if James Bond once worked for Spectre, or John McClane was a former bank robber, or Batman and Superman were once criminals. It weakens the character just a little bit for me.
    I really like that Henry Czerny has returned as Kittridge, he was great in MI, and he's still great in this entry. However, the meeting towards the start of the film is not a plus point. It seemed obvious that Ethan was this unknown man that entered the meeting. There are a few times when the film isn't quite as sharp as some of Christopher McQuarries other Mission Impossible films. At times it needed a little bit of a polish I feel.
    I did like that Ethan escapes using a Kittridge face mask.
    The stuff in the desert was okay, but nothing special. Faking Ilsa's death at the beginning of the film was not really needed, especially as she actually does die later in the film. (If she appears in MI: DR2 and her death was faked, I'll be slightly angry as they will have played the same trick twice). As much as I like Ilsa and Rebecca Ferguson is awesome in the role. There really isn't a lot for her to do here, and it makes sense to sacrifice a member of the team. Especially when they've introduced a new character in Hayley Atwell's, Grace.
    I wasn't sold on her in the trailers, and she seemed like someone who could be annoying, but I really enjoyed her. She's a good actress and plays the part really well. She fits the tone of the film, and is competent, without being a spy on the IMF level.
    Another character who I really enjoyed was Paris, the henchwoman of the bad guy, Gabriel. As played she's totally nuts, lets nothing get in her way, and is super fun. The way she assists in the end of very MayDay in AVTAK, though more believable here.
    Whilst Gabriel isn't the strongest villain the series has given us, I like Esai Morales. He gives off a creepy, yet confident vibe. You're never quite sure what he's capable of.
    Another gag, I really liked was the two agents pursuing Ethan, pulling on peoples faces to see if it was a mask. Though it could be seen as silly, it worked well.
    Visually the film is stunning. The locations are breathtaking, and cities like Rome are utilized like Bond films used to use such locations. Although, the car chase is like nothing seen in a Bond film.
    The same with the train sequence and motorcycle jump towards the end of the film. I literally found myself on the edge of my seat. The tension for this scene goes all the way too 11!
    Tom Cruise is his usual likable self as Hunt, and he really is fantastic in the role. He's giving it his all in this one, doing amazing stunts, and also getting some of the films more humorous lines too. A few times during the duration, I thought he's starting to look a little old, but then he is past Roger Moore's age in AVTAK, and doing more elaborate stunts than Mr. Moore or any of the Bond actors have ever done.
    This is a good film, and I really did enjoy it. Whilst it's never boring and the pace is good, I do feel it could have been trimmed by about 20-30 minutes here and there.
    I did like that they don't leave us on a cliffhanger, rather more of an intriguing point in which to continue the story.
    I'll be first in line for part 2, I have a gut feeling that it will be a great conclusion.
    At present, I'd rank it third after Rogue Nation and Fallout. Both of which are pretty interchangeable with each other.

If you clicked the spoiler tags and read any of this before seeing the film, then you only have yourself to blame.

patb wrote: »
    @Benny Fair comments.
    IMHO, you can have the best stunts ever but, in the long term, emotional connection with characters is what makes a classic (we see this with Bond). McQ is clearly a brilliant director (the first scene is Exhibit 1) but it's the character stuff that lets things down. They have been trying to develop this in previous movies with patchy results. Sorry, (the innevitable comparison) we have seen nothng in MI that compares to the relationship between DC and JD. Great movies need to be more that just a set of great stunts. As with NTTD, I find myself re-wrtting the script in my head, never a good sign

Ilsa should, for the first time, been a fully fledged member of the team, showing all of her skills and sparking/banter with Hunt, (there could have been some great dialogue hinting that she would take over the team at some point) building her relationaship with Hunt and the others. She should have died much later, on the train. Grace should have been a much younger character, with a sort of uncle type relationship with Hunt. A smaller role (so not to conflict with Isla,) but confirmation at the end that she is now part of the team, injecting youth/new life into a devestated team. Lastly, Im a sucker for the cliched ending where all of the team meet and move on. This should have been at Ilsa's funeral, confirming she is dead, showing the teams affection for her with Hunt given the cheesy line and revealing that he did get the key on the train (so Ilsa's death was not in vain) as they move on to gain revenge in Part 2. Obtaining the key but losing Ilsa would have been a bitterseet ending to Part one IMHO (pure Wrath of Khan I know)

Largely agree with both. More of a "negative" approach from me:
    I saw the gaps in the writing that took me out a bit, and it wasn't as smart as I felt I was promised. I found myself and my audience laughing at the AI villain any time they tried to make it seem menacing, but for the most part I accepted the movie for what it gave me. I do rank it fairly low, I'm afraid. It just won't have the rewatchable factor that the others give me. I'm usually immune to marketing, but I think I played out the train stunt far too early to really appreciate it at the end. I also think a stronger score, more of the core team focused, fewer new characters would have done me some good. I'm also not looking forward to a part II that takes place underwater, if Ethan is supposed to get to the submarine somehow. We'll see.

I still liked the movie overall, just probably won't see it again for some time and will pick a different M:I over it any day, I think. It may rank last for me, granted I rank the first six VERY high. There's just not much in this movie I _have_ to see again, where I didn't have that feeling exiting the theater for Fallout.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 40,474
    I agree with most of that, @Benny. Very good read. I also felt the same, that:
    Atwell's Grace didn't really grab me in the trailers but she made a continuous impression as the film progressed. I thought the "I'll help...but not really" schtick grew a little tired after a while but it was still enticing watching Ethan constantly pursue her, catch her, and give her another reason to work with him. I still don't like how much priority she got over Ilsa, especially as a possible love interest, just to kill off Ilsa anyway. Still, I could see it being a "double fake-out" like you said and she's hiding off grid as an ultimate last ditch effort if things go way south for Ethan and the IMF in Part 2. I hope that's not the case though. I loved her character a lot but fake-out deaths are irritating as hell to me. I knew she didn't die in the opening, I was glad they revealed that almost immediately afterwards, especially cause the trailers revealed later appearances from her.

For me, I really loved this one, another hit from McQuarrie, Cruise and co., and as soon as I have a chance to see it in theaters again, I'm taking it.

EDIT: Tuesday previews came in at the high end of estimates with $7 million:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-tom-cruise-1235434821/
    https://www.timeout.com/movies/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-one-2023 (spoilers) better than bond? Is there supposed to be competition or rivalry? I like both

No two things can be liked on the internet.
    I mean, they're arguably the two largest spy series still going today, it's no surprise they'll always be compared, especially when they have a lot of similarities throughout. Hell, RN is pretty much SP, only it's actually entertaining and competently made.
    The Venice chase was breathtaking. I could watch Cruise sprinting through alleyways like that for two hours and end up more than satisfied. I love the shot of him leaving that gala/party and removing his tie and tossing it before really taking off in pursuit.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited July 2023 Posts: 735
    By point of comparison with Bond, the Cruise character is so sexless and without style, such a marked contrast, and thus in keeping with our somewhat dour times, I guess.

Has he ever had a romantic relationship in the series? I think there's something in the backstory,which I'm struggling to recall, but feels so inconsequential it may be hardly worth the bother.

Was there much if any hint of such potential with any of the three or four female leads, I must confess to having dropped off once or twice in viewing the film yesterday. That they're all much younger actresses probably renders this potential verboten. Nevertheless they were all very much the highlight for me, especially the new character, Grace. That plus situating the various set pieces and scenes in a larger Bond context.

Shame about the often risible dialogue and McGuffin plot about which I struggled to care .....
    What was the McGuffin I was missing this time around? I thought it was all nicely centered around retrieving both keys and locating the Entity's original source code (which the IMF doesn't know about until the end, whereas the audience is privy to this revelation after the opening moments on the sub).
    edited July 2023 Posts: 1,430
    Feyador wrote: »
    By point of comparison with Bond, the Cruise character is so sexless and without style, such a marked contrast, and thus in keeping with our somewhat dour times, I guess.

Has he ever had a romantic relationship in the series? I think there's something in the backstory,which I'm struggling to recall, but feels so inconsequential it may be hardly worth the bother.

Was there much if any hint of such potential with any of the three or four female leads, I must confess to having dropped off once or twice in viewing the film yesterday. That they're all much younger actresses probably renders this potential verboten. Nevertheless they were all very much the highlight for me, especially the new character, Grace. That plus situating the various set pieces and scenes in a larger Bond context.

Shame about the often risible dialogue and McGuffin plot about which I struggled to care .....

I mean, there was the entire movie about his wife, and the follow-up movie that brought her back for the finale. You don't seem very serious.