Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Maybe, I guess we'll see. I could see him making it accessible. Certainly from Cruise's hair(!) it looks like there's a time jump and it doesn't follow directly on.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I am just out of it and I am unfortunately not as happy as I would have hoped to have been. The action is spectacular, undoubtedly - but while it's true that the plots of the previous films haven't been anything other than functional, this one was the first where the lack of development was noticeably bothersome for me. The script is an absolute mess.

The new additions are great; Hayley Atwell is wonderful and Pom Klementieff really leaves an impression here. Always nice to see Shea Whigham as well. The regulars, unfortunately, are short changed in comparison. I'm hoping a lot of my feelings are a simple case of "Part One" syndrome and it will all fit nicely into place after the next film, but I am somehow both thrilled by the intense action and thoroughly underwhelmed by a lot of the other stuff.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's interesting: you're not the first person whose judgement I respect I've seen say that tonight.
    It's possible that I may have expected too much, but I will qualify my remarks by saying I still found it immensely enjoyable for the craftsmanship of its set pieces alone. It's never dull.

There is one particular choice the movie makes that bothered me quite a bit as it felt quite aimless in its build up and yet left a big shadow for me.

Balfe's score is a major step down from his previous work also, I felt. I really liked his score for the last film so if you were someone who didn't like it (or were even indifferent to it), I can only imagine how this will land with you.
    Saw the film today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I definitely found it a more "sensible" film than Fallout as in wasn't just insane stunt after insane stunt, plot twist after plot twist, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing; it was well paced without erratic editing, and apart from a few contrivances toward the end I didn't really find anything particularly wrong with it. Tom Cruise may be a deranged nut job but he still knows how to produce good, solid movies with his creative "partner" Christopher McQuarrie.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS saw it tonight and share your concerns. Impossible to discuss fully without spoilers. But it is possible that McQ's method re movie/plot construction has finally come to a dead end.

To add some balance, we should discuss Cruises acting in addition to the stunts. Easy to take for granted but he really gets the tone right, IMHO from the dark to the light. Something that many actors struggle with.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 303
    The film opened today, Monday, in the UK. Never seen that before. Usually an early release is Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe Bond 26 should open on a Monday to boost the first week's box office!

My apologies. Opened yesterday! A Sunday. Strange.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Films in Australia have always opened on a Thursday, so for MI:DR to open on a Saturday was really odd.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Is it something to do with Oppenheimer wanting all of the IMAX screens?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    bondywondy wrote: »
    The film opened today, Monday, in the UK. Never seen that before. Usually an early release is Wednesday or Thursday. Maybe Bond 26 should open on a Monday to boost the first week's box office!

My apologies. Opened yesterday! A Sunday. Strange.

Spectre opened here in the UK on a Monday, it was 7pm to coincide with the premiere in London (I think).
    mtm wrote: »
    Is it something to do with Oppenheimer wanting all of the IMAX screens?

I can imagine that being the thinking behind it.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    NYC has had public screenings since Monday (yesterday) or maybe Sunday. I'm going tonight, two days earlier than I expected.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be seeing it in almost four hours time. I'm stupidly excited.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I hope you enjoy it.
    Been aching to talk about some of the spoilers
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I hope you enjoy it.
    Been aching to talk about some of the spoilers

For once, it seems, I know absolutely zero spoilers going into this and I couldn't be happier about that. Looking forward to chatting with you and some others here about it once I'm out! I'll probably rush home to share my thoughts, get a review up on Letterboxd, and discuss it here.
    do we need a seperate thread with spoilers?
    patb wrote: »
    do we need a seperate thread with spoilers?

I think spoiler tags will be sufficient.
    I’d hope we’re all adult enough not to knowingly post spoilers.
    I saw it last night in IMAX and thought it was pretty great. Rather than go over the things I did like (which is a lot), there were a couple of items I took issue with:
    - Ilsa dying. If it is a misdirect and she is alive, she will have been fake-killed twice in the movie, which is an amusing thought.
    - Hunt, after doing the bike jump, parachutes into the side of the train and takes out goons who are about to shoot Grace. That was a bit of a "oh come on" moment.
    - The plotting was a bit all over the place, it felt in places like it was being written as it was filmed.

Otherwise I definitely give it 4.5/5.

The whole third act is immense.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    So it looks like it will collect $250/270M til Sunday.
    Besting Fallout and crossing $800M globally sounds quite likely with such an opening.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,061
    matt_u wrote: »
    So it looks like it will collect $250/270M til Sunday.
    Besting Fallout and crossing $800M globally sounds quite likely with such an opening.

For comparison, Fallout did $153m opening weekend worldwide in 2017, though I think that was a Fri-Sun take only, making a comparison a little trickier.

Fallout had a 5.2x multiplier from opening weekend ($791m total). If DRP1 follows, it places it at $1.3bn.

In any case, an excellent start for the film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tom Cruise in 1996 on if there would be a “Mission: Impossible” sequel
    My first take.....
    The stunt work is clearly outstanding but the pacing and tone changes seem a little off to me. I also think there is an issue with trying to introduce a new female character with clear chemistry with Hunt whilst, at the same time, killing off another. there is just too much going on. The villain is pretty average and lacks the spitefulness of Lane. As for the key? call a locksmith
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Sorry to ask, but for those who have seen it, does Lorne Balfe's score for the film tops his Fallout score?
    Sorry to ask, but for those who have seen it, does Lorne Balfe's score for the film tops his Fallout score?

Difficult to say, it worked well in the film but need to give it a good listen. There is plenty of MI theme in it.
    Mallory wrote: »

Difficult to say, it worked well in the film but need to give it a good listen. There is plenty of MI theme in it.

Oh, thanks. Plenty of MI theme works for me.

No, not for me.

No, not for me.

Oh, does it lack melody or something?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I loved the Fallout score I will likely buy M: I 7 score before I see the film.

I would say yes, if anyone need the score for the film, PM me
    Bernie99 wrote: »

I would say yes, if anyone need the score for the film, PM me

Hmmmmm. It seems the score is divisive.
    I like both Scores very much, Balfe imo is the perfect choice for M:I, he would be also a good Bond-Composer