Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Without spoiling anything, I will just say to Bond fans a couple of scenes in particular really took me back to Roger Moore/TSWLM/FYEO movies. The influence felt clear as day for me, especially the humor.

This is great to hear! At least one franchise is carrying the torch for that old-school bondian flavour.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,397
    Just got back from it.

It's a damn good time, not sure if I prefer to Fallout yet, I think I need to let it simmer for a bit.

Without spoiling anything, I will just say to Bond fans a couple of scenes in particular really took me back to Roger Moore/TSWLM/FYEO movies. The influence felt clear as day for me, especially the humor.

Great. This is the only movie I absolutely need to see in the cinema this year.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Just about to watch it. I’ll give a spoiler free review later on.
    Light the fuse!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Yeah it sounds like it’s gonna be the most “bondian” entry of the franchise.
    I read it is completely “woke free” as well.
    Another big plus.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,957
    Just got back from it.

It's a damn good time, not sure if I prefer to Fallout yet, I think I need to let it simmer for a bit.

That makes it a sound even better! Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Sky had a fun programme on last night which was Cruise, Pegg and Atwell watching clips of the whole series and talking about making it, the stunts etc. It was a puff piece of course, and there was an awful lot of smoke being blown up you-know-where (!) but still some fun nuggets in there. Cruise did say that a part of him wanting to make M:I 27 years ago was that he loved the Bond films.
    matt_u wrote: »
    I read it is completely “woke free” as well.
    Another big plus.

Depends what on Earth that means. It’s got two strong capable female lead hero characters, a black man as one of the heroes and an Asian woman as one of the main threatening villains, and I doubt Ethan is suddenly going to turn into a sexist or racist, so doesn’t sound non-woke, if that is the definition.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    We all know what that means.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Generally it seems to mean ‘I don’t want to see anyone but white men’ so this film doesn’t seem to fit into that category.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Seeing it this week, I can't wait to see how they try to top the action in Fallout
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don’t know if I can go this week but I’m worried that I won’t be able to see it in IMAX if I don’t. I don’t know if Nolan is taking all the screens?
    Without any spoilers, I'll say that this is a film that needs to seen on the big screen.
    It is visually stunning, and has some truly edge of the seat action scenes. Part 2 can't come soon enough.
    My only drawback would be, it's a smidge too long. But, it never disappoints.
    If you're a fan of the series, I'm sure you'll love this. A few great surprises for me in the character department, that I wasn't expecting. And I'll leave it at that for now.
  • Looks ok but will probably wait and catch it on Paramount.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Without any spoilers, I'll say that this is a film that needs to seen on the big screen.
    It is visually stunning, and has some truly edge of the seat action scenes. Part 2 can't come soon enough.
    If you're a fan of the series, I'm sure you'll love this. A few great surprises for me in the character department, that I wasn't expecting. And I'll leave it at that for now.

I felt like trash in the middle of the night, couldn't sleep so I scrolled social media and saw you posting in the theater about getting ready to see it and was instantly excited to hear your thoughts. Glad you and the family loved it. Just two days left until I do.
    I wish theater trips were cheaper, I’d be more inclined to catch this. I’m prioritizing Oppenheimer, but would love to do both. MI can’t hold a candle to Bond for me, but it’s still a solid and fun action franchise, and this newest one definitely looked like it had potential to be the very best. Action lovers’ dream!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Sounds brilliant, thanks for sharing mate
    going with my wife and 2 kids tomorrow, that fact, on it's own, is proof it's a winner. So few movies tick boxes across the generations (and then execute)
  • Does the IM team go after a tyrannical, power hungry right wing president in league with the Russians ? If so then I will buy my ticket now.
    So - for those who have seen it - how does it compare to DOD, blockbusterwise? Which one do you prefer?

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Does the IM team go after a tyrannical, power hungry right wing president in league with the Russians ? If so then I will buy my ticket now.

It’s all about ‘The Entity’, which makes me think of Barbara Hershey! :D

How lovely is this?

Zekidk wrote: »
    So - for those who have seen it - how does it compare to DOD, blockbusterwise? Which one do you prefer?

I preferred. MI:DR over DOD, blockbusterwise. Both are great, but MI is a really beautiful film to look at, and has some real excitement in some of the action scenes.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I feel like I preferred the cinematography in DOD, but MI:DR has simply better executed action (you can notice the difference comparing the train scuffle in both movies), and the pacing is way tighter, which I prefer in this type of blockbuster. However I feel like I did end up caring about Indy, Helena Shaw and Teddy more as characters than the IMF team in MI:DR. So I guess it depends on what kind of experience you're looking for. As far as entertainment goes, MI has the upperhand for me.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 252

Totally agree, great movie, saw it yesterday in IMAX, still Fallout ist my favourite M:I Movie, but after that it's DR1.
    I also liked Lorne Balfes Score of the movie.
    I'm sure Bond Fans like the M:I Dead Reckoning. Can't wait to see the movie again end of the week

My Ranking:

Fallout
    Dead Reckoning Part 1
    Rogue Nation
    Ghost Protocol
    M:I 1
    M:I 2
    M:I 3
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's pretty much my ranking too so I can imagine I may be of a similar mind to you with this new one!

Can anyone who has seen this confirm if there's much mentioned from the last one? I'm going to be taking my family but they haven't caught up on the films since GP yet; I'm imagining Ilsa is fairly self-explanatory but is there anything they wouldn't understand?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2023 Posts: 40,473
    Without digging into spoilers, are there any standout fight scenes akin to the legendary entertainment that is the bathroom fight in Fallout?

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Nice to hear good reviews. It was expected.
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 252
    mtm wrote: »
    Can anyone who has seen this confirm if there's much mentioned from the last one? I'm going to be taking my family but they haven't caught up on the films since GP yet; I'm imagining Ilsa is fairly self-explanatory but is there anything they wouldn't understand?

That's no problem, you can watch and understand the movie without seeing Fallout or Rogue Nation
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That thumbnail is giving me Uncharted 2 flashbacks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »

That's no problem, you can watch and understand the movie without seeing Fallout or Rogue Nation

Thank you, I was hoping it would be that way as that's how McQ always says he likes to do them, although I do wonder how that will work with 'Part 2'.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    “Part 2” is kinda self explanatory it seems.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well I just mean will it be the first of his MI films where you really have to have seen the previous one? Or will he make it so that it makes sense without it?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I think Part 2 will definitely ask for audiences to at least see Part 1. They don’t have to watch all of 1-6 at the very least