Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

He’s really leaning into that “savior of cinema” role. I guess that’s better than him trying to promote Scientology.

My thoughts exactly. A more honourable fight, I'd say.
    mtm wrote: »
    Blimey, at first I thought they were watching all three today- that's a lot of movies.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it pass Cruise. Guy watches everything.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING PART ONE Out of the Theater Reaction!
    Can't wait! All of these positive reactions! So many! All of them, actually.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    There is a lot to be said about practical film making.
    New TV Spot

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Very cool B-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I never get tired of Benji screwing up in the background and making things harder for Ethan. His constant mistakes when Ethan was chasing Walker in Fallout were hilarious.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw the cliff leap featurette on the BFI IMAX screen last night before Indy: I think the film will need to be seen IMAX. Looks incredible.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I never get tired of Benji screwing up in the background and making things harder for Ethan. His constant mistakes when Ethan was chasing Walker in Fallout were hilarious.
    He is a comic relief, in the exact same annoying style as John Hannah from the Mummy series, that I don't really need. The less of him, the better.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I could do with a little less Benji too. As a field agent of X years, he should be past all the rookie mistakes, especially those around technology (he was the 'tech guy' in MI3!).

I have been quietly thinking to myself that Dead Reckoning can't top Fallout, but looking at the Train stunt, now I am not so sure.
    Yeah a bit of growth for his character would be nice to see. He hasn't really done much physicality, past fighting Lane in Fallout (which didn't go well) and killing Wistrom.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2023 Posts: 15,016
    I like they've kept the stuff about Ethan being hesitant to do some of this crazy stuff; that has worked so well since #4 and provided some good laughs, as well as making him less ridiculously superhuman.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's for Part One? I remember seeing some tabloid pap shots of him doing that but it's interesting it hasn't made it to the promo until now. It does look too dangerous. I guess it's only a quick bit in the film, after the bike jump maybe?
    I'm guessing that's after Ethan jumps off the cliff with the motorcycle, so it looks like he ends up hooking back up with Benji and co. upon landing instead. I had originally thought he was going to parachute and purposefully land atop the train.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I could do with a little less Benji too. As a field agent of X years, he should be past all the rookie mistakes, especially those around technology (he was the 'tech guy' in MI3!).

I always said that it should have been him to bite the dust rather than Baldwin in Fallout. It would have had great emotional impact considering the film's themes. Benji became a field agent because of Ethan.

But then again, the film was quite overly serious and Benji does serve the purpose of adding in those tiny moments of levity. And now we get a new M:I director with Baldwin gone, so swings and roundabouts.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I did think Benji actually might die in the climax of Fallout when I was watching it: I guess that's quite a good thing about the team format in a way- although we know Cruise will be fine, it feels like one of our other heroes are actual fair game to be killed and that's a really effective source of tension. It's funny they've never really done that- obviously the opening of the first one, and his protege girl in MI3, but none of them were really proper co-star team members for the main bulk of the film.
    I'd bet money that one of the main cast will end up dying in either part of Dead Reckoning. The marketing seems to suggest a heavy emphasis on Morales' villain beating Ethan by striking at those closest to him. No way they all make it out alive by next summer.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I wouldn't mind that. Maybe Ilsa?

I wonder if the film will finish with a trailer for Pt2, Back To The Future style.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I will laugh if they put "Ethan Hunt will return." on screen.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Yeah I wouldn't mind that. Maybe Ilsa?

I wonder if the film will finish with a trailer for Pt2, Back To The Future style.

How far along with Part 2 are they, is there enough footage for an appetizer?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well they finished all that biplane stuff in South Africa, there must be plenty by now.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I will laugh if they put "Ethan Hunt will return." on screen.

That would actually be quite amusing.

Ethan Hunt will return in :

Mission Impossible : Dead Reckoning part 2.

Great video, as always thanks for sharing @DaltonCraig007
    Another great tv spot (new)

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She spoke back to him and said something sassy about heels! It’ll clearly be a whole nightmare all about The Message, and he’ll die at the end and she’ll take over. I can’t believe Kathleen Kennedy has ruined this one too.

Sorry, I’ve been reading some of the old Indy rumours, not sure what came over me.. ;)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    She spoke back to him and said something sassy about heels! It’ll clearly be a whole nightmare all about The Message, and he’ll die at the end and she’ll take over. I can’t believe Kathleen Kennedy has ruined this one too.

Sorry, I’ve been reading some of the old Indy rumours, not sure what came over me.. ;)

Hahahaha you know them videos are on YouTube already
    In all seriousness, every clip of this film keeps getting better
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd bet money that one of the main cast will end up dying in either part of Dead Reckoning. The marketing seems to suggest a heavy emphasis on Morales' villain beating Ethan by striking at those closest to him. No way they all make it out alive by next summer.
    Interesting that Esai Morales is supposed to be this big bad villain (the main villain apparently) and yet his name appears nowhere on any of the posters. Isn’t that kinda strange? Henry Czerny’s name appears but not Morales? Very strange. Is he supposed to be some kind of surprise villain that we shouldn’t know about? Too late I think. Because his involvement in the film is no secret whatsoever.
    I'm guessing he's a villain with another retroactive past tied to Ethan's missions, perhaps even his time before the IMF, and likely not a recast character we've seen in previous installments. He is named in official material as "Gabriel" though.
    Love the new trailer
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Haha, this is hilarious. So good =))