Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I know it won't have the same success that Top Gun: Maverick had but I hope it's another one to cross the $1 billion mark. I'll certainly be doing my part to help it reach that number.
    Why is that such a given that it won’t hit Top Gun success? Certainly Mission: Impossible is a bigger brand name than something like Top Gun (a one-off from the 80s). It’s not a franchise like M:I is. Top Gun: Maverick was a surprisingly good movie but I don’t think it’s as good as anything from the M:I franchise nor do I think the general public look forward to a Top Gun movie the way they look forward to the latest M:I film, especially with how each new film seems to be able to top the previous one.

Because Top Gun: Maverick had the perfect storm of being an exciting movie that virtually everyone wanted to see, mixed with the "revival" of theatrical success during the pandemic that continued to boost its numbers.

But hey, if you think this new one will make nearly $1.5 billion, more power to you. I'd love to see it hit those numbers.

With luck the success of TGM will at least mean it's the biggest hit MI has had so far.
    562.jpg
  • Wow. Looks like another trip to the theatre! The M:I films have been consistently excellent under McQuarrie
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is going to be the best action film of the year for me, no question about that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tom Cruise does it again for the second summer in a row! B-)
    mi.png
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I know it won't have the same success that Top Gun: Maverick had but I hope it's another one to cross the $1 billion mark. I'll certainly be doing my part to help it reach that number.
    Why is that such a given that it won’t hit Top Gun success? Certainly Mission: Impossible is a bigger brand name than something like Top Gun (a one-off from the 80s). It’s not a franchise like M:I is. Top Gun: Maverick was a surprisingly good movie but I don’t think it’s as good as anything from the M:I franchise nor do I think the general public look forward to a Top Gun movie the way they look forward to the latest M:I film, especially with how each new film seems to be able to top the previous one.

The original TOP GUN was a bigger pop culture event film than any of the M:I films, so having the sequel come out nearly 40 years later it makes sense that it would be a bigger hit than any of the M:I.

To put it simply TOP GUN: MAVERICK was not “another” TOP GUN film the way that the M:I sequels are.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    mi.png

I don't pay much attention to RT, but I am pleased to see Fallout score so highly.
    Tom Cruise said he'd love to keep making these installments well into his 80s, much like Harrison Ford has managed with the Indiana Jones series:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/tom-cruise-mission-impossible-movies-harrison-ford-indiana-jones-1235430568/
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian gave it 5 stars. He gave 3 to Fallout and 5 to both NTTD and Spectre.
    Anyway extremely good reception, it will fall inbetween Fallout and Rogue Nation.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,957
    He's a very strange reviewer. It's okay to snobbishly look down on blockbusters if that's your thing, but at least be consistent about it.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited July 2023 Posts: 2,057
    IMAX tickets booked for Monday at 7.30pm.

Extremely excited, easily my most anticipated film of the year.

Glad to hear the reviews say its a bit more fun.
    Cruise is old now so
    mtm wrote: »
    I think there's a finite amount of ways of doing a chase so I don't think they're copying Bond per se.

That said, this poster does look quite familiar! :D

Fylr7s8WwAI3YiS?format=jpg&name=small

Aren't they on the wrong sides of the car?

Lol. Whoever did that poster should be fired or demoted to paper stacking.
    ;))
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @Creasy47 what a way to start the day!
    Bond is my favourite of course, but I love the MI films almost as much. So excited for Sunday.
    This is the first M:I film shot entirely in digital and I’m not a big fan of the overall result.
    Honestly the look of Fallout is still unmatched.
    Can’t wait to see the Venice and Rome sequences. Arguably the two most beautiful cities within the same $300M budget film!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    matt_u wrote: »
    The year is half over and no film has cracked 800 million besides Mario. Fallout came close to 800, and I have to think the reputation of that film, plus TP:MAVERICK is enough to push MI:7 into at least 800 - 900 million, equaling SPECTRE. What other films between now and the end of the year could finish in that range? Oppenhiemer? No biopic has ever made close to that. Barbie? maybe, if it goes viral. Dune 2? The first only made like 400m, Aquaman 2? The DC brand appears to be toxic right now. I think if there is going to be another film in 2023 which flirts with or crossed the billion dollar mark, its Dead Reckoning. But that's just my guess...

Guardians crossed $800M.
    Oppenheimer will end up in the $500M range hopefully. Speaking about biopics Bohemian Rhapsody made $900M+ but it was a never seen success for a biopic.
    Barbie and Dune has a shot at crossing $800M imo.
    M:I-7 tho will face extremely strong competition and Nolan will steal all IMAX screens from Cruise after just a week. With China not be healthy like before Covid only a stellar word of mouth would be able to push M:I that high.
    As for now the tracking suggest a $90M~ 5-days opening for M:I which is good.

I believe Dead Reckoning will it least make 800 - 900 million, you disagree. We'll see who was right and who was wrong soon enough...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The fate of the world rests on this!
    [-O< :-SS ~X(
    I'll be seeing it Sunday, so that should help the gross $$$.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That's Just the Fallout theme, isn't it? :-?

I won't be seeing it until Thursday, I hope. I'll know on the day. So I have a few more days to wait.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 2023 Posts: 14,957
    It's very (slightly boringly) similar, but with what sounds like a whole team of drummers and the melody not having big gaps between each line, as the Fallout opening did, and being a more faithful take on the original. (The end credits theme to Fallout ditched the big gaps). The new ending is quite nice.

After six tries, I still think no-one has matched Elfman's take on the theme.

Kermode's review is worth watching if you want to get excited for the movie:

The year is half over and no film has cracked 800 million besides Mario. Fallout came close to 800, and I have to think the reputation of that film, plus TP:MAVERICK is enough to push MI:7 into at least 800 - 900 million, equaling SPECTRE. What other films between now and the end of the year could finish in that range? Oppenhiemer? No biopic has ever made close to that. Barbie? maybe, if it goes viral. Dune 2? The first only made like 400m, Aquaman 2? The DC brand appears to be toxic right now. I think if there is going to be another film in 2023 which flirts with or crossed the billion dollar mark, its Dead Reckoning. But that's just my guess...

Guardians crossed $800M.
    Oppenheimer will end up in the $500M range hopefully. Speaking about biopics Bohemian Rhapsody made $900M+ but it was a never seen success for a biopic.
    Barbie and Dune has a shot at crossing $800M imo.
    M:I-7 tho will face extremely strong competition and Nolan will steal all IMAX screens from Cruise after just a week. With China not be healthy like before Covid only a stellar word of mouth would be able to push M:I that high.
    As for now the tracking suggest a $90M~ 5-days opening for M:I which is good.

I believe Dead Reckoning will it least make 800 - 900 million, you disagree. We'll see who was right and who was wrong soon enough...

Based on actual data, it seems too much for me - especially because China may bring $80/90M less than the previous entry - even tho I’m pretty confident $750M are locked given the critical consensus.
    M:I franchise is a diesel with fine openings but very strong legs so that’s why it’s all up to the word of mouth if the target is to best the previous super successful entry.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

Have to admit, a bit underwhelming compared to what's come before. How do you not have at least a little fun with the MI theme?
    On a side note the cinematography looks a step back compared to the previous one.
    Coincidentally that’s the first M:I film entirely shot on digital.
    On a side note the cinematography looks a step back compared to the previous one.
    Coincidentally that’s the first M:I film entirely shot on digital.

I loved Fallout’s cinematography.
    Up to 99 % on Rotten Tomatoes
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    Up to 99 % on Rotten Tomatoes

Capture-d-e-cran-2023-07-07-a-18-48-27.png
    Unreal. Just four days left until I get to experience this perfection for myself.
    edited July 2023 Posts: 4,343
    If you look at the score is lower than Fallout to be fair.

And on Metacritic too has 81/100 while Fallout had 86/100.
  • willowlovewillowlove Kent, WA, USA
    The tracklist has been revealed for the soundtrack, which will start streaming on July 12.
    Cover art has appeared as well.

filmmusicreporter.com/2023/07/07/mission-impossible-dead-reckoning-part-1-soundtrack-album-details/#more-102935
  • edited July 2023 Posts: 677
    Just got back from it.

It's a damn good time, not sure if I prefer to Fallout yet, I think I need to let it simmer for a bit.

Without spoiling anything, I will just say to Bond fans a couple of scenes in particular really took me back to Roger Moore/TSWLM/FYEO movies. The influence felt clear as day for me, especially the humor.