Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited June 2023 Posts: 6,677
    Just the other day I saw Jason Isaacs in The Crowded Room and thought: this guy could’ve been playing Bond since the 90s and still looking good and fit now.

The_Crowded_Room_Photo_010401.jpg.photo_thumbnail_show_home_large.jpg

Him, Luke Evans and Aidan Turner are my “could have been Bond” actors. Yep, the later is already on that list, unfortunately.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »
    Just the other day I saw Jason Isaacs in The Crowded Room and thought: this guy could’ve been playing Bond since the 90s and still looking good and fit now.

Him, Luke Evans and Aidan Turner are my “could have been Bond” actors. Yep, the later is already on that list, unfortunately.

A possible “M”
    talos7 wrote: »

A possible “M”

Oh, I’d be fine with that. Good call seeing Fiennes was, at some point, a candidate for Bond as well.

A possible “M”

Jason Isaacs and Luke Evans I'd rather see as Bond villains now. Although they might be too good looking. I never thought Evans looked quite right as Bond. Too... I'm not sure why, but I think people who thinks Craig looked too thuggish would have complained way more with Evans in the role. That said, I'd always think he had the right acting skills and physique for Bond. But even now, I don't think people are ready for a gay actor in the role, sadly.
  • I think Luke Evans very much has the look for it, particularly in a post-Craig world. He was my front runner at one point but I agree he’s aged out. Another I’d probably put in the “aged out” category is soon Toby Kebbell. A left field choice perhaps, but I think he could’ve given a great performance as Bond. Given that he’s 40 now, I think the clock is ticking.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Yeah, Kebbel is a great actor, even if the role isn’t that good he always gives his best performance.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,087
    I feel like if bond 26 is another origin people will walk out of the cinema in droves. We just went through a 5 film 15 year arc where Bond is a young rookie, then becomes the old dog, has a kid and dies. He does pretty much everything EXCEPT be the alpha male at the peak of his powers. More than anything, that's what the audience, at least 70 - 80% of them, want from Bond 26. Whether they stick with the darker tone of the Craig films or fully embrace the ott Moore spectacle remains to be seen, but I think its undisputable that EON would be fools to keep the "never quite bond" bond act going for yet another film.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 2,900
    The closest I think they’ll get could be a similar premise to The Batman where it’s about a James Bond who’s been 007 for a year or two. Not sure whether they’ll even bother hammering that home but it could be an effective way to set up this new version of Bond. I don’t think we’ll go back to ‘Bond’s first mission as 007’ which is more how I see CR rather than an origin story. Personally I think Bond really needs to be 007 (or at least have been, as per NTTD) for these films to work.
    007HallY wrote: »
    The closest I think they’ll get could be a similar premise to The Batman where it’s about a James Bond who’s been 007 for a year or two. Not sure whether they’ll even bother hammering that home but it could be an effective way to set up this new version of Bond. I don’t think we’ll go back to ‘Bond’s first mission as 007’ which is more how I see CR rather than an origin story. Personally I think Bond really needs to be 007 (or at least have been, as per NTTD) for these films to work.

I think they might keep one thing from the Craig era: the memory of Vesper. Like the Aston Martin showed up during the Craig era or the allusions to Tracy in previous movies.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think they might keep one thing from the Craig era: the memory of Vesper. Like the Aston Martin showed up during the Craig era or the allusions to Tracy in previous movies.

That’d be interesting. I suspect if they did want to include it in the next Bond era, however, it’d be pretty heavily veiled just to avoid directly bringing the Craig era to mind (at most I can imagine a ‘have you ever lost anyone, Mr. Bond’ type moment with Bond not directly answering).
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I hope they do end up taking the approach of Year Two-ish 007, but I do feel that Vesper has been so entrenched in the mythos of the Craig films that bringing the character back would be a little too close too soon and potentially confusing. I think I’d prefer if they used Tracy (and the OHMSS backstory) instead. I’d even go as far as reintroducing Marc Ange Draco as a Mathis type character, an MI6 asset who serves as Bond’s trusted crime/underworld contact. I think their personal relationship could be a fascinating way of exploring Bond’s relationship with Tracy without retelling that story on-screen.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,928
    I’d even go as far as reintroducing Marc Ange Draco as a Mathis type character, an MI6 asset who serves as Bond’s trusted crime/underworld contact. I think their personal relationship could be a fascinating way of exploring Bond’s relationship with Tracy without retelling that story on-screen.
    Yes, something like that could work. Occasional hints that Bond had, say, once been involved with Draco's daughter and it'd ended badly, but without any direct references or detailed explanations, so that fans would make the connection themselves and enjoy the link without having the new guy's arc repeat the doomed love that haunted the Dan era. Having established that CraigBond had a different 'timeline' to all the others, there's a good chance that each new Bond might also have their own timeline from now on, so any callbacks would probably only really work if they were allusions such as this one, rather than literal 'this also happened to the other fella' events.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Venutius wrote: »
    I’d even go as far as reintroducing Marc Ange Draco as a Mathis type character, an MI6 asset who serves as Bond’s trusted crime/underworld contact. I think their personal relationship could be a fascinating way of exploring Bond’s relationship with Tracy without retelling that story on-screen.
    Yes, something like that could work. Occasional hints that Bond had, say, once been involved with Draco's daughter and it'd ended badly, but without any direct references or detailed explanations, so that fans would make the connection themselves and enjoy the link without having the new guy's arc repeat the doomed love that haunted the Dan era. Having established that CraigBond had a different 'timeline' to all the others, there's a good chance that each new Bond might also have their own timeline from now on, so any callbacks would probably only really work if they were allusions such as this one, rather than literal 'this also happened to the other fella' events.

I agree with that too, maybe even Tiger Tanaka and Kerim Bey too? Or even Columbo too?

I'm all in for bringing back past allies.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I hope they do end up taking the approach of Year Two-ish 007, but I do feel that Vesper has been so entrenched in the mythos of the Craig films that bringing the character back would be a little too close too soon and potentially confusing. I think I’d prefer if they used Tracy (and the OHMSS backstory) instead. I’d even go as far as reintroducing Marc Ange Draco as a Mathis type character, an MI6 asset who serves as Bond’s trusted crime/underworld contact. I think their personal relationship could be a fascinating way of exploring Bond’s relationship with Tracy without retelling that story on-screen.

I think they might go for Vesper more than Tracy because: 1)she's fresher in people's memory and 2)she fits better for a "year two" Bond, if this is where they want the franchise to go to.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I've said this before somewhere but I'd love them to finally adapt Gala Brand from the Moonraker novel.

You could have her be the Tracy/Vesper of this arc, because by the time we see Bond 26 it'll be nearly 60 years since OHMSS, so most casual fans won't know of her and it'll be nearly 20 since CR, plus the Craig era is likely to stay its own universe.

They could make Bond 26 loosely similar to CR and the MR novels, in that Bond isn't a rookie, but he's not world-weary enough to not fall for a Bond girl.

Gala wouldn't have to die but I think her and Bond would have to have an relationship unlike the novel, so she leaves a scar upon him.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love John Pearson’s biography of Bond; I always find Bond’s relationship with, and assassination of his lover, Marthe de Brandt, fascinating to read. I’d love for this to somehow weave itself into the Bond character…
  • Agent0099Agent0099 Milford, Michigan
    peter wrote: »
    I love John Pearson’s biography of Bond; I always find Bond’s relationship with, and assassination of his lover, Marthe de Brandt, fascinating to read. I’d love for this to somehow weave itself into the Bond character…
    I have a copy of it, Going to get around to reading it soon!
  • peterpeter Toronto

Ahhh, common sense ... It's refreshing to read. Thank you Mr. Campbell!
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I've said this before somewhere but I'd love them to finally adapt Gala Brand from the Moonraker novel.

You could have her be the Tracy/Vesper of this arc, because by the time we see Bond 26 it'll be nearly 60 years since OHMSS, so most casual fans won't know of her and it'll be nearly 20 since CR, plus the Craig era is likely to stay its own universe.

They could make Bond 26 loosely similar to CR and the MR novels, in that Bond isn't a rookie, but he's not world-weary enough to not fall for a Bond girl.

Gala wouldn't have to die but I think her and Bond would have to have an relationship unlike the novel, so she leaves a scar upon him.

Vivienne Michel would've been a lot more better, I think, her original story in the book could've served for a PTS to introduce the new Bond, then given her fully fleshed out character, she could've worked as a potential Bond Girl who would be a part of Bond's past, and If I would be asked, maybe there would be a plot twist that instead of the girl breaking Bond's heart, it's Bond who would break both of their hearts because to keep her out of danger, because Bond saw how Vivienne got involved in danger and nearly died from it, then maybe in a further film, Bond would just realized she's already engaged to another man.

Thinking of the ending of Spiderman: No Way Home, I think that aspect could've worked, have Bond sacrifice their relationship to keep her away from danger, like what Peter Parker did to both MJ and Ned by staying away from them and erasing their memory for good.

It's interesting, but the assassination part had been played to death two times with Vesper and Tracy, I'm afraid but it's another just "recycling the old ground" kind of thing.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    That's a good point mate, but aren't they forbidden from adapting the SPWLM novel?
    Apparently the greatest threat to mankind is AI so given the looooooomg wait for Bond 26 maybe the next Bond will be a AI CGI deep fake avatar.
    Hopefully something like...

hqdefault.jpg

Looks better than Aaron Taylor-Johnson! ;))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

Vivienne Michel would've been a lot more better, I think, her original story in the book could've served for a PTS to introduce the new Bond, then given her fully fleshed out character, she could've worked as a potential Bond Girl who would be a part of Bond's past, and If I would be asked, maybe there would be a plot twist that instead of the girl breaking Bond's heart, it's Bond who would break both of their hearts because to keep her out of danger, because Bond saw how Vivienne got involved in danger and nearly died from it, then maybe in a further film, Bond would just realized she's already engaged to another man.

Thinking of the ending of Spiderman: No Way Home, I think that aspect could've worked, have Bond sacrifice their relationship to keep her away from danger, like what Peter Parker did to both MJ and Ned by staying away from them and erasing their memory for good.

It's interesting, but the assassination part had been played to death two times with Vesper and Tracy, I'm afraid but it's another just "recycling the old ground" kind of thing.

I dunno about that @SIS_HQ ...Tracy was killed for bullets that had Bond's name on them, and Vesper died by suicide.

This would be Bond actually assassinating his lover. This kind of set-up would go a long way of explaining James Bond, his loyalty to his country, and his lethal ruthlessness as a double-O.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

I dunno about that @SIS_HQ ...Tracy was killed for bullets that had Bond's name on them, and Vesper died by suicide.

This would be Bond actually assassinating his lover. This kind of set-up would go a long way of explaining James Bond, his loyalty to his country, and his lethal ruthlessness as a double-O.

Oh that's tragic, I haven't read the book yet, but I'm planning to do so.

Unless the girl's a villain, that's why Bond killed her, but Bond did that already with Elektra isn't he? And it's obvious that he fell in love with her, but sacrificed that feelings to finish his job.
    And pretty close to the heart of the trade, I’d say, just like in the beginning of the film The American, with Clooney (good film, feels like it was shot in the 60s or 70s).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And pretty close to the heart of the trade, I’d say, just like in the beginning of the film The American, with Clooney (good film, feels like it was shot in the 60s or 70s).

Love that opening, instantly lets you know what type of killer he is and what his priorities are.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Love that opening, instantly lets you know what type of killer he is and what his priorities are.

And it makes a paralaxe, or even a full circle, with the ending. An underrated film. Filled with tension. I love it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

And it makes a paralaxe, or even a full circle, with the ending. An underrated film. Filled with tension. I love it.

It really is special, a nice character study and slow burn assassin thriller rolled into one.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, I was surprised how good The American was too. Could easily have been an unremarkable, middling thriller but it came out a few levels above that. Violante Placido looked damn fine too!
    Actors act. It seems to me any of the dozens upon dozens of actors mentioned in this thread could play Bond. But there's a difference between playing Bond and owning the role. For Bond 26, Nobody Dies Forever, I would like to see an unknown who brings the same qualities as Connery brought to the role. So far I am trying to imagine all these actors as Bond. No one yet who persuades me they are Bond.