Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

ToTheRight wrote: »

That's is way too young to die.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,933
    What a lousy way to go, too. Just seems so random and pointless. I watched Deep Rising again only last week for a Famke fix and now this. Damn, man.
    Been meaning to watch Deep Rising and The Deep End of the Ocean for a while. Treat Williams was a fun villain in The Phantom.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited June 2023 Posts: 8,700
    Ludovico wrote: »

Forgive me, but any age is "too young to die" if you are killed in a motorcycle accident.
    R.I.P. Treat Williams.
    Have been after a movie of his called 'The Pursuit of D B. Cooper', on dvd for a while, directed by Roger Spottiswode! Remember seeing it on telly and enjoying it!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

Forgive me, but any age is "too young to die" if you are killed in a motorcycle accident.

Circumstances matter of course, but i don't think any age is too young to die. When you're well in your 80s or 90s, when you reach 100, it is sad for your family, but not exactly tragic or even unexpected. If you beat your life expectancy, it's hard to say you died too young. Some might argue that one can die too old, if old age brings physical suffering and mental decline.
    For me, Treat Williams, that was that :

But also 1941, and yes, The Pursuit of DB Cooper.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I only read his No Country For Old Men but thought it was magnificent. I also liked the movie that the Coen Brothers made about it. Maybe I'll discover his further works now that he has passed. RIP.
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 3,564
    Gerard wrote: »
    For me, Treat Williams, that was that :

But also 1941, and yes, The Pursuit of DB Cooper.

Context means an awful lot and I expect most folks on this thread don't have any idea of the context here. But I saw HAiR the musical on the stage back in the day, and i saw this movie when it first came out. So I've got the context loud & clear. This scene is indeed what I thought of first when I heard the news of Treat Williams' passing. Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in. Anybody ready to identify the Shakespeare quote in the lyrics to this song?
    Legendary comic book artist John Romita Sr., who worked on some of the most well-known Spider-Man stories, and father of John Romita Jr., has passed away, aged 93.

https://www.cbr.com/john-romita-marvel-comics-artist-spider-man-obituary/

To tell you the truth, I thought he had left us a long time ago. Here are two of his most famous pages :

romita-sr-1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

romita-sr-4.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5
  • Gerard wrote: »
    Legendary comic book artist John Romita Sr., who worked on some of the most well-known Spider-Man stories, and father of John Romita Jr., has passed away, aged 93.

romita-sr-4.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

This one was in the first Spider-Man comic I ever bought off the newsstand. To say it had an impact on me would be a significant understatement. John Romita was one of the greats, he will be sorely missed.
    Oscar winning British actress Glenda Jackson has passed away, aged 87 :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/glenda-jackson-actress-politician-dead-87-newsupdate/
    Yeah, that came out of nowhere too. I had no idea she was anything like 87, tbh.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yeah, that came out of nowhere too. I had no idea she was anything like 87, tbh.

Same here. I don't really know if I have ever seen any of her movies (maybe Hopscotch, a loooong time ago), but I knew she was a great actress, and that she was a Labour MP for over twenty years. And that she had received two Oscars. I may have to dig further into her legacy. Anyway, may she rest in peace. 87 is an age where one can't complain it's too early, really.
    Yeah, the ones I remember Glenda Jackson from most were a long time ago too - Women In Love, Triple Echo and a tv series where she played Elizabeth I. She was regarded as the definitive Elizabeth I for decades, but it's a long time since I've seen it so I dunno how it holds up now.
  • Daniel Ellsberg, famous for releasing the Pentagon Papers back in 1971, has died at his home in Kensington CA. If you've never heard of him, this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ellsberg ...and if you HAVE heard of him, well, you know what a pivotal figure he was in American history. Rest in Peace, Mr. Ellsberg.
    Belgian singer Claude Barzotti, who had a great success in France in the 80s, has passed away, aged 69, from pancreatic cancer :

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2023-06-24-the-singer-of-the-%22rital%22--claude-barzotti--has-died.BkghN15N_n.html

Here's his most famous song :

Learned that Oscar-winning american actor Frederic Forrest has passed away, aged 86.

https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/frederic-forrest-dead-aged-86-newsupdate/
    2 killed in Stockholm amusement park ride
    The passing of actor Julian Sands has been confirmed after police found human remains near his last known location:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/julian-sands-dead-body-found-confirmed-1235425568/
    I saw Julian Sands in Leaving Las Vegas about a month ago. That was a good performance. I also remember him from Arachnophobia. I'd like to watch Warlock as well.

I used to get him mixed up with Passenger 57's Bruce Payne, because they're both British and both starred in those Warlock movies.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The passing of actor Julian Sands has been confirmed after police found human remains near his last known location
    Talk about bizarre. Whoever would've thought?

Creasy47 wrote: »
    The passing of actor Julian Sands has been confirmed after police found human remains near his last known location:

https://deadline.com/2023/06/julian-sands-dead-body-found-confirmed-1235425568/
    What a horrible way to die.
    I never followed his career in details, but always thought he turned Warlock from a derivative poor man's Terminator into its own thing. He was suitably sinister as the antagonist.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Oh man.
    Such a great actor, he made his profession look easy. He had a long and varied career, a brilliant character actor who brought so much to even the smallest role.
    A very underrated actor imo, RIP Alan Arkin. We've lost one of the best.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't believe this. I was watching Inspector Clouseau when I read the news...

RIP Alan Arkin. Fantastic actor. He was extremely menacing in Wait Until Dark. I loved him in Little Miss Sunshine. I loved him in everything. And yes, he was a good Inspector Clouseau too.
    R.I.P. Alan Arkin.
    I only recently bought a decent copy of his marvellous buddy cop thriller 'Freebie and The Bean'
    But he starred in so many other movies, most famously 'Catch-22'. I've also just noticed, by coincidence, that the movie 'Argo' is on T.V tonight, which Arkin is also stars.
    Yeah I also rewatched Argo a couple weeks back, was marveling at how fantastic Arkin was in it.
    “Serpentine, Shel, serpentine”. :) That’s all I gotta say about Alan Arkin.