Who should be a Bond girl?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @sandbagger1, she was brilliant in The Worst Person In The World. I think she could make a very good Bond girl.
    The Worst Person in the World is a great film, and her performance was excellent.

Though I think her greatest achievement might just be her three and a half minutes in the Criterion Collection Closet:

She makes out like a bandit,

My favorite Criterion Closet guests are the ones who are the most greedy! I'd have that bag packed if I was given free access to it for a while.
    My standard reaction to these videos is "Why do you pick so few?!" :))
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited March 2023 Posts: 2,598
    @sandbagger1, she was brilliant in The Worst Person In The World. I think she could make a very good Bond girl.
    The Worst Person in the World is a great film, and her performance was excellent.

Though I think her greatest achievement might just be her three and a half minutes in the Criterion Collection Closet:

She makes out like a bandit,

My favorite Criterion Closet guests are the ones who are the most greedy! I'd have that bag packed if I was given free access to it for a while.

Her selection of MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001) proves - if anything - that she has great taste. :D

If they let me loose in the Criterion Collection Closet, they would have to call the police since I wouldn't want to leave!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's always my thought: "Why aren't you putting EVERY film in the bag? Get to it!"
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    That's always my thought: "Why aren't you putting EVERY film in the bag? Get to it!"

Agreed.
    That said, you can actually learn a lot about a person by what they select in a situation like that.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think I’ve only got three Criterion Collection Blu-rays. If I was in that closet I’d be helping myself to a lot of upgrades.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,518
    I've only got one: Godzilla.

EDIT: Also, because this is the topic right now, this may be of interest to some:

https://www.polygon.com/deals/2023/3/21/23650524/criterion-collection-sale-dvd-blu-ray-4k-films
    This is my choice. I think she would make an excellent Bond Girl..

Rihanna-Fenty-LA-CAT.jpg?fit=680%2C492
    I prefer an unknown. A name usually brings baggage and expectation. I prefer the character to be a character, not a star playing a character who is just like them.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2023 Posts: 3,382
    Here's what I liked for the next Bond Girls:

1. Not too much famous, unknown but still can act
    2. Beautiful, but still believable in the role (it needs to have both beauty and substance, not just an eye candy, I'm looking at you Denise Richards and Tanya Roberts, beautiful, yet no substance, please not like them again).
    3. Great actress, of course, it needs to have a great acting ability.
    4. Credible in the role
    5. Can convey emotions naturally
    6. Plus points if they have some martial arts backgrounds.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Is that Rihanna?
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Is that Rihanna?

Yes..
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Emma Mackay
    25e2efac478ff9c628175163d049dd6e.jpg

Emma-Mackey-2020-4K-Ultra-HD-Mobile-Wallpaper-950x1689.jpg
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    Emma Mackay

The first picture reminds me of Zendaya, the second one, she reminds me of Jenna Ortega!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,105
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Emma Mackay

The first picture reminds me of Zendaya, the second one, she reminds me of Jenna Ortega!

I think Emma looks a bit like Margot Robbie, Emma could play a Bond Girl or a Femme Fatale.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Emma Mackay

I've heard she's in the running to play the new Lois Lane. If she doesn't get that, then I'm sure she'll be on the radar for Bond. She'd make a very good Moneypenny, also.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 23,105
    Emma Mackay

I've heard she's in the running to play the new Lois Lane. If she doesn't get that, then I'm sure she'll be on the radar for Bond. She'd make a very good Moneypenny, also.

I heard the same regarding Lois, I think Emma has real quality I am confident Emma will become a big star one way or another.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited May 2023 Posts: 2,483
    Emma Mackay

As @CraigMooreOHMSS said I think she'd make a great Moneypenny. By the time they cast the next Bond, she won't be far off being the same age as Bond #7, so it'd be an interesting dynamic. She's a good actress
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I prefer an unknown. A name usually brings baggage and expectation. I prefer the character to be a character, not a star playing a character who is just like them.
    I agree.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Here's what I liked for the next Bond Girls:

1. Not too much famous, unknown but still can act
    2. Beautiful, but still believable in the role (it needs to have both beauty and substance, not just an eye candy, I'm looking at you Denise Richards and Tanya Roberts, beautiful, yet no substance, please not like them again).
    3. Great actress, of course, it needs to have a great acting ability.
    4. Credible in the role
    5. Can convey emotions naturally
    6. Plus points if they have some martial arts backgrounds.

I agree on all points except 6. We don't Nedd martial artists as Bond girls. I'm not saying they cannot be, but it's irrelevant to them being a Bond girls. How much of a fighter was Vesper Lynd? How about Tracy? Or Honey Ryder? How about Domino? Solitaire? As a character I generally prefer the Bond girl to be peripheral to the world of Bond and drawn into it. And not compete with him or being redundant to him.
    It's 2023. Does a woman have to be beautiful to be a Bond woman?
    edited May 2023 Posts: 17,728

No, not really, though I suppose that it is what people expect when they go to see a Bond film. It's become such a familiar trope that we don't even think about it any more. However, many of Fleming's Bond women had what could be called physical defects (think of Honey Ryder's broken nose) though there again he was accused of some kind of toxic masculinity against women. At this stage, you simply can't win with James Bond no matter what you do. You're always going to draw criticism from some quarter or other.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    It’s 2023. EVERYBODY has to be beautiful.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 17,728
    It’s 2023. EVERYBODY has to be beautiful.

That's what Photoshop was invented for, I guess.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring

Not necessarily 'conventionally' beautiful, but beautiful nonetheless. Same as Bond needs to be handsome.
    FoxRox wrote: »

That's a terrible idea if there is one. James Bond without the Bond girl merely does pest control. It would make the franchise prudish action flicks. If there's anything that truly set aside Bond movies from any other from the beginning to this day is the sex. And I'd even specify the eroticism.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 12,243
    Ludovico wrote: »

That's a terrible idea if there is one. James Bond without the Bond girl merely does pest control. It would make the franchise prudish action flicks. If there's anything that truly set aside Bond movies from any other from the beginning to this day is the sex. And I'd even specify the eroticism.

Anyone who knows me around here by now knows that I agree with you. I just wonder how many others would prefer it this way...

And going to the whole "does a Bond girl need to be beautiful?" topic, beauty really is seriously subjective. Many of the most beautiful girls in my mind are not movie star type. I personally am attracted to what many would call "flaws." If one means "does a Bond girl need to be 'conventionally' beautiful?," for me I'd say no, and that's perfectly fine.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 2,752
    Ludovico wrote: »

Yes, the Bond girls and things like sexuality, eroticism, and dare I say even romance are very much a part of the James Bond series' DNA. Criticisms can certainly be made about how they've been depicted, but I doubt we're going to see a Bond film where Bond doesn't at least sleep with a woman at any point.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think Bond girls and their beauty is a core element of the Bond formula and if we had Bond films without Bond girls, it would be like Bond not wearing a tux or not drinking
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-have-been-having-less-sex-whether-theyre-teenagers-or-40-somethings/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sexual-intelligence/202208/why-todays-teens-are-having-so-much-less-sex

There has been a lot of research done in the last few years about the alarming decline in sexual interest and activity, and I've seen it firsthand in young peers I went to college with. If the trend continues, Bond movies, and media at large, are going to keep going down a path with lessening sex appeal and eroticism. It doesn't help that depicting a woman in a sexy light is so often seen as problematic in itself now.