Who should be a Bond girl?

1808182838486»

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-have-been-having-less-sex-whether-theyre-teenagers-or-40-somethings/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sexual-intelligence/202208/why-todays-teens-are-having-so-much-less-sex

There has been a lot of research done in the last few years about the alarming decline in sexual interest and activity, and I've seen it firsthand in young peers I went to college with. If the trend continues, Bond movies, and media at large, are going to keep going down a path with lessening sex appeal and eroticism. It doesn't help that depicting a woman in a sexy light is so often seen as problematic in itself now.

Agreed, Bond Girls (as much as I liked some of them) are dated and out of time.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    If things keep going the way they are maybe Rosa Klebb and Irma Bunt will be the new Bond girls. That's real equality of the sexes!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    If things keep going the way they are maybe Rosa Klebb and Irma Bunt will be the new Bond girls. That's real equality of the sexes!

They aren't already? :-O "Bond girl" definition I suppose can vary! ;)
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/people-have-been-having-less-sex-whether-theyre-teenagers-or-40-somethings/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sexual-intelligence/202208/why-todays-teens-are-having-so-much-less-sex

There has been a lot of research done in the last few years about the alarming decline in sexual interest and activity, and I've seen it firsthand in young peers I went to college with. If the trend continues, Bond movies, and media at large, are going to keep going down a path with lessening sex appeal and eroticism. It doesn't help that depicting a woman in a sexy light is so often seen as problematic in itself now.

It's my issue with most franchises and genre nowadays: they're all so asexual and unsexy. As if the world was inhabited by monks. It's as if nobody ever had sex.
    Not sure about the idea that depicting a woman in a 'sexy light' is problematic nowadays. It's simply to do with the framing of it. There are ways of depicting women and men's relationships with them (the early Bond films being examples) that I'm sure many would find uncomfortable and not particularly erotic nowadays.

I'd also argue that the initial Bond films came out during that period of the 'swinging 60s' where much media was actually over-sexualised in its own way. Like I said, women and male sexuality are very much a part of the DNA of Fleming's novels, but the Connery films amped that aspect up significantly (without the added romance that Bond often felt towards these women).
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Keep the Bond Girls. And it will always actually be 'Bond Girls' for me - 'Bond Women' sounds like something that the HR Dept. approved. ;)
    For individuals not having sex or feeling uncomfortable with Bond's sexual exploits, they should probably avoid seeing Bond films.

CrabKey wrote: »
    For individuals not having sex or feeling uncomfortable with Bond's sexual exploits, they should probably avoid seeing Bond films.

Those that aren't comfortable with killing probably shouldn't watch them either. Well, at least I'm in the clear.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Those that aren't comfortable with killing probably shouldn't watch them either. Well, at least I'm in the clear.

magnumforce5.jpg?w=584
    How about just, those not comfortable with separating fiction from reality shouldn't watch? XP
    How about just, those not comfortable with separating fiction from reality shouldn't watch? XP

Sadly they do exist. Some people shouldn't be let out of the house.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 3,390
    It's like smoking, they removed it from Bond already because it didn't looked good and problematic nowadays, but it's a part of Bond's character, the same with those sexualities, or those objections of those Bond Girls, the Bond films were heavily notorious on this where medias and different personalities where almost at war in debates with how the women portrayed in the Bond films, and of course Bond having sex with them, it's one of those aspects of Bond that's probably the most divisive topic nowadays, but still, that's a part of Bond.

But again, that also makes Bond a bit outdated these days, it's fine to have female characters in the Franchise like Nomi and etc. But those Bond Girls who only exist just to have sex with Bond like those in the past certainly doesn't fit in our modern world, just so his smoking.

Think of how many people bashed Monica Bellucci's character in SPECTRE, maybe they corrected this with Paloma who rejected Bond.

That's why playing a Bond Girl seemed like a scary part for most of the actresses, because of those sexual objectification, they may get objectified, and again the sex thing, that's why when they're playing a Bond Girl, they're always telling the media: "This Bond Girl will be very different, she's Bond's equal and etc. Etc. Etc.", to avoid the sexual objectification, it's a part of their safe self promotion.
    How
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    playing a Bond Girl seemed like a scary part for most of the actresses, because of those sexual objectification, they may get objectified

How is playing a Bond girl in a series that has a history of tame sex scenes different from showing all in a non Bond film or HBO series that seems to require nudity every episode?

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited June 2023 Posts: 726
    The issue with that is they don’t just want a beautiful actress, they want an actress that is winning awards and headlining films. You are not going to get a Scarlett Johansen or Florence Pugh to play a character with a silly name that stands around in a bikini pouting, puffing out her chest, and whose lines are of the “oh James” variety.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2023 Posts: 4,441
    x1080
    Nikki Amuka-Bird (1976). Born in Africa, but grow up in UK and Antigua. She playing famale mafia boss in The Outfit. As M or villian.

More present seen in Knock at the Cabin a movie from Universal (With who MGM making NTTD/Bond 26).

Knock-at-the-Cabin-Four-Horsemen.jpg
    nikki-amuka-bird-husband-1-1675371699673.jpg

Repeat:

6350041-unax-ugalde-et-natalia-verbeke-lors-du-p-1200x0-2.jpg
    Natalia Verbeke (1975, Argentina but grow in Spain since age of 11.) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0893638/

alexandra-maria-lara-1200.jpgalexandra-maria-lara.jpg
    5168991.jpg
    Alexandra Maria Lara (1978, German Actres) https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0487884/
    https://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/alexandra-maria-lara-photos

431full-mia-jexen.jpg
    Mia Jexen (1984, Denmark)
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0631021/
    262635ac98edd9990e0e60fc5bf71bf3.jpg
    design_uden_navn_-_2022-07-08t100314.229.png?ixlib=vue-2.9.1&auto=compress&w=1200&h=630&fm=jpeg&fit=crop&fp-x=0.5&fp-y=0.5

https://imgix.seoghoer.dk/media/article/miajexen.jpg?ixlib=vue-2.8.4&auto=format,compress&fit=crop&fp-x=0.54&fp-y=0.28

Whyle my sugestion was earlier, those days people mabey think she has a bit of looks of Brie Larson.
  • CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    Nikki Amuka-Bird is great is everything I've seen her in. I think she'd make a great villain.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    German actress Liv Lisa Fries from the excellent Babylon Berlin
    m9IkfbO.jpg
    She speaks several languages, including English.
    German actress Liv Lisa Fries from the excellent Babylon Berlin
    m9IkfbO.jpg
    She speaks several languages, including English.

Would make a great Moneypenny!
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    It's like smoking, they removed it from Bond already because it didn't looked good and problematic nowadays, but it's a part of Bond's character, the same with those sexualities, or those objections of those Bond Girls, the Bond films were heavily notorious on this where medias and different personalities where almost at war in debates with how the women portrayed in the Bond films, and of course Bond having sex with them, it's one of those aspects of Bond that's probably the most divisive topic nowadays, but still, that's a part of Bond.

But again, that also makes Bond a bit outdated these days, it's fine to have female characters in the Franchise like Nomi and etc. But those Bond Girls who only exist just to have sex with Bond like those in the past certainly doesn't fit in our modern world, just so his smoking.

Think of how many people bashed Monica Bellucci's character in SPECTRE, maybe they corrected this with Paloma who rejected Bond.

That's why playing a Bond Girl seemed like a scary part for most of the actresses, because of those sexual objectification, they may get objectified, and again the sex thing, that's why when they're playing a Bond Girl, they're always telling the media: "This Bond Girl will be very different, she's Bond's equal and etc. Etc. Etc.", to avoid the sexual objectification, it's a part of their safe self promotion.

I'm okay with Bond not smoking (or smoking less) because smoking is no longer seen as glamorous or sexy. It's stinky, it's unhealthy and frankly bloody disgusting. I think only cigar is still perceived as somewhat glamorous, so I guess he could still smoke cigars sometimes. Otherwise smoking simply does not have the same aura as before. Oh and vaping if anything made it worse.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think sex remains glamorous and sexy, in the right circumstances of course.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,689
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Maybe I'm naive, but I think sex remains glamorous and sexy, in the right circumstances of course.

:-c :-c :-c

Or to elaborate, it's only natural to keep focussing on sex while banning smoking (and, I'm somewhat afraid, alcohol) since sex helps keeping the human race alive, and the others obviously do the opposite.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »

:-c :-c :-c
    ?

magnumforce5.jpg?w=584

:D
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Not sure about who could be a Bond girl, but Kate Beckinsale was definitely a missed opportunity. Stunning, talented actor, lovely voice, British.
    In alternative world she might have been considered for Vesper (although Eva Green was magnificent)
    kate-beckinsale-2.jpg
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I have been watching Matilda De Angelis in the Netflix series The Law According to Lidia Poët recently. She is not only very beautiful, but sweet and a good actress. Definitively worth a second look. She has had her break-through already, with leading roles also in the movies. Still I hope EON would consider her for a Bond movie.

She is also singer, check out her cover of the Stones‘ Paint it Black:

zebrafish wrote: »
    I have been watching Matilda De Angelis in the Netflix series The Law According to Lidia Poët recently. She is not only very beautiful, but sweet and a good actress. Definitively worth a second look. She has had her break-through already, with leading roles also in the movies. Still I hope EON would consider her for a Bond movie.

I'm going to watch her films, thanks.
    Have you watched some of her films for recommendations?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Not yet, but there are a few movies with her in the lead on Amazon Prime (Citadel: Diana) and Netflix (Rose Island) to check out.
    Not yet, but there are a few movies with her in the lead on Amazon Prime (Citadel: Diana) and Netflix (Rose Island) to check out.

Thanks, I'm going to check out those.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Good shout mate. She looks like a mix of Eva Green and Lea Seydoux
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2023 Posts: 23,334
    Just watching The Continental Marina Mazepa 26, Ukrainian actress plays an assassin and has quite a striking look and is a bit of a badass...

art_thumb_520667.jpg

Edited: Wt... did not realize she was on America's Got Talent as a dancer/contortionist wow the stuff Marina does is incredible.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Good shout mate. She looks like a mix of Eva Green and Lea Seydoux

Oh yes, she’s got my vote.

the-undoing-elena-1.jpg?quality=75&strip=all