Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    @CharmianBond , you're right!! 😂😂😂
    mtm wrote: »
    No one’s talking about making Bond something he wasn’t: a British, youngish, sexy, handsome, alpha male, athletic superspy.

This sentence doesn't make sense.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    CrabKey wrote: »
    No one’s talking about making Bond something he wasn’t: a British, youngish, sexy, handsome, alpha male, athletic superspy.

This sentence doesn't make sense.

Ha! Yes fair enough; I was being made to watch the coronation concert at the time so my mind was leaking, apologies. The colon was wrong- I should have put 'he will still be' in there instead.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited May 2023 Posts: 3,389
    Is it me or just I'm starting to care less about Bond 26 and the future Bond films, because I'll admit, I don't think any of the modern male actors today were good (looks wise), in terms of acting (wise), they're all decent, I felt the modern actors today tend to be generic, Idk.

Although, I've seen some great movies in the present time, but it's more likely on the cinematography? The directing? But I'm not much caught on the acting.

Whoever will be the next Bond is, I doubt he will rise up to my Bond actor rankings (just in myself), because like what I've said, modern actors of hollywood these days tend to be generic and felt for me like cardboard cutouts of one another, like they all looked the same, acting the same.

I think Craig will be the last true Bond actor for me, the next ones? Idk.

Maybe I will stop caring about the future Bond films?

I not sure, hoping this rant of mine would change in the future.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If we can accept a blond Daniel Craig as James Bond, what exactly is stopping a black actor from taking that role? We’ve already crossed that line of sticking close to how Fleming described Bond a long time ago.

I do think if you were to do a black Bond, it wouldn’t work if you’re trying for a 1950s period piece. But in 2023?
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 3,279
    There is no way the casting of the next actor will be a black Bond, or even a blonde Bond.

Now Amazon are in charge, they will want to pick the least controversial choice, the most acceptable choice that will appeal globally - nothing to potentially disrupt such a long standing franchise.

Couple that with a belief I have that Babs still respects the source material far more than we are sometimes led to believe, that she doesn't want to disturb or disrupt her father's legacy, or alienate the core fanbase either, in going with an actor that really doesn't tally with the original source material.

The safest bet right now is still looking like ATJ, or someone in a very similar physical mould - tall, white, dark hair, blue eyed (but could be brown) and British. ATJ is probably looking the favourite, the same way Brozza was first back in 86 before his American TV show pulled him away, and then again in 93 once Dalton said he wasn't returning.

Any other wildcard candidates you are all throwing in here as suggestions is a waste of time.

Or she doesn’t play it safe and gets away with it, like she did with CR. That’s why the CraigNotBond folks will always be miserable. She dumped Pierce “The Heir Apparent” Brosnan right after he scored the highest grossing film for the franchise in favor of a relatively short blonde and craggy looking actor who nobody saw as “Bond”. Not only did she get away with it, but everyone loved the actor in the part. And she kept him in the part for 14 years.

She should keep getting away with it.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 3,279
    Or she doesn’t play it safe and gets away with it, like she did with CR. That’s why the CraigNotBond folks will always be miserable. She dumped Pierce “The Heir Apparent” Brosnan right after he scored the highest grossing film for the franchise in favor of a relatively short blonde and craggy looking actor who nobody saw as “Bond”. Not only did she get away with it, but everyone loved the actor in the part. And she kept him in the part for 14 years.

One major difference between 2005 and now? Amazon! ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2023 Posts: 14,918
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Is it me or just I'm starting to care less about Bond 26 and the future Bond films, because I'll admit, I don't think any of the modern male actors today were good (looks wise), in terms of acting (wise), they're all decent, I felt the modern actors today tend to be generic, Idk.

Although, I've seen some great movies in the present time, but it's more likely on the cinematography? The directing? But I'm not much caught on the acting.

Whoever will be the next Bond is, I doubt he will rise up to my Bond actor rankings (just in myself), because like what I've said, modern actors of hollywood these days tend to be generic and felt for me like cardboard cutouts of one another, like they all looked the same, acting the same.

It’s understandable: I honestly think if they cast someone really intriguing then my interest will be really piqued. Like another Craig: someone I can’t quite imagine doing it. I remember when Downey Jr was cast as Iron Man, and that really got my attention and made me want to see the film, because it was such an off-kilter pick, and yet felt like it was definitely going to make it much more interesting. So someone like that please. The worst they can do for my interest levels is pick a Cavill or even Taylor-Johnson: you just know how that will turn out without seeing it.
    Couple that with a belief I have that Babs still respects the source material far more than we are sometimes led to believe, that she doesn't want to disturb or disrupt her father's legacy, or alienate the core fanbase either, in going with an actor that really doesn't tally with the original source material.

She is literally quoted above as saying it could be someone of any race as long as he’s British.
    She respects Fleming but she knows what’s important about it and what isn’t: blond hair wasn’t important- and was she ever proven right about that, despite certain noisy members of the core fanbase losing their minds over it. Neither is skin colour.
    If he walks like Bond and he talks like Bond: he’s Bond.

I don’t see them having an issue with it.
    She is literally quoted above as saying it could be someone of any race as long as he’s British.
    What she says in public, and what she thinks in private are two very different things entirely.
    You may not, but the Amazon team collectively may do. This new Bond will definitely be tick box by committee, moreso than any previous new actor to play the role, because of the entirely new circumstances surrounding it.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    What she says in public, and what she thinks in private are two very different things entirely.

But there is literally no reason not to take her at her word. They have been quite vocal about ruling out a female Bond or period-set Bond, for example.
    You may not, but the Amazon team collectively may do. This new Bond will definitely be tick box by committee, moreso than any previous new actor to play the role, because of the entirely new circumstances surrounding it.

I’m not sure where you’re getting all of this insight into their thinking from. Eon have always worked with big studios; I’m not sure why this studio being owned by someone else will change that. The issue, if anything, seems to be they’re in disarray.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited May 2023 Posts: 716
    My totally uninformed opinion is that BB as the public face of Eon will skew towards a Bond of colour, whilst those looking at the bottom line will be more conservative and want to play safe with a white actor, preferably one who is well known. I think these two opposing points of view will largely cancel each other out, making race a minor factor in the decision and with a stand-out audition winning the role.

The idea that the new actor is one who needs to be able to lead the project is interesting, though. What does it mean? Strong personality and leadership skills? Being well liked and well respected in order to attract talent to the project? I know Daniel Craig was influential in getting Mendes involved, for example; do they need someone who already is friends with a lot of people in the business and can reach out and charm to get the big names? Do they want someone very creative who will have a clear idea where they want to take the character and be very involved with every aspect of the production?

I read an interview with Matthew (The Americans) Rhys the other day where he said that in his interview with BB and Eon for the part of Bond he was asked what he’d do differently with Bond. He was unprepared for the question and tried to cover it with a joke, saying he’d give him a limp and an eye-patch. No one laughed!

Unfortuanely I'm with you here. Probably why I don't comment on these B26 threads much, I'm just not excited for the series' future. I think NTTD might've been a solid final Bond movie.
    It may well be ultimately. I tend to half joke that Eon will sit on this long enough that the world's cinemas would've have permanently closed before they begin scripting another film. As I write this another cinema in my area is closing leaving only one left. Hopefully it stays open long enough for another Bond.
    I agree about modern actors being generic. They mostly try and act in front of green screens with no real sets or anything of substance to engage in..... so there's a lack of connection to the surroundings. Also often enough there's a lack of chemistry between other actors.
    That said, if Eon were to return to Fleming with the next film my interest might be rejuvenated.
    But I have a hunch we could get a streaming series Bond regardless of what Barbara and Michael say. Time is passing and less people are attending the cinemas.

But there is literally no reason not to take her at her word. They have been quite vocal about ruling out a female Bond or period-set Bond, for example.

Come on mtm. Your an intelligent guy and know how the world works.

There is no way on earth Babs would ever declare `the next actor will be white. We will definitely rule out a black actor.' She would be crazy if she ever did say so. The backlash would be unimaginable.

It's fine saying Bond will never be female, because the character was never written as female, but when we get onto sensitive subjects like race, it's a whole different ballgame.

While we are on the subject of race, and just to show I am all for modernising Bond into the 21st century, I'd actually love to see Idris Elba cast as M. I think he would be superb, and would add a whole new dimension to the series, even though M wasn't written this way in the books.

Maybe. I fell the same.

There is no way on earth Babs would ever declare `the next actor will be white. We will definitely rule out a black actor.' She would be crazy if she ever did say so. The backlash would be unimaginable.

It's fine saying Bond will never be female, because the character was never written as female, but when we get onto sensitive subjects like race, it's a whole different ballgame.

While we are on the subject of race, and just to show I am all for modernising Bond into the 21st century, I'd actually love to see Idris Elba cast as M. I think he would be superb, and would add a whole new dimension to the series, even though M wasn't written this way in the books.

Maybe it's just me but I can imagine there being circumstances where Amazon would want a black/non-white actor that EON wouldn't necessarily be keen on. I mean, given all the hype around Idris Elba as a potential Bond throughout Craig's run I can see someone like him being pushed over smaller candidates (not necessarily him to make clear). But it really depends...

I would love to see Idris Elba as a future M though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah, I don't disagree- she wouldn't say that. But also there's no reason to not believe that she means what she says. Maybe you don't want her to, but that's not the same thing.

I can't really see it. I'm not sure M should be the same type of guy as Bond, although I guess arguably you could say Fiennes is.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,472
    Amazon isn’t in control of the Bond brand. They will have a say, sure. But if Broccoli wants to hire an actor, they will do as she wants. They can’t fire her. And, theoretically, she could dig in her heels and refuse to make another Bond film until they acquiesce. What are they going to do? EoN owns the IP.

EDIT: and no, that doesn’t mean she will hire Peter Dinklage.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 2,859
    peter wrote: »
    Amazon isn’t in control of the Bond brand. They will have a say, sure. But if Broccoli wants to hire an actor, they will do as she wants. They can’t fire her. And, theoretically, she could dig in her heels and refuse to make another Bond film until they acquiesce. What are they going to do? EoN owns the IP.

Good point.

I can't really see it. I'm not sure M should be the same type of guy as Bond, although I guess arguably you could say Fiennes is.

I like the idea of Elba being a future M because as you hinted it's very similar to Fiennes. While Mallory was on the surface a much more by the books type (so very unlike Craig's Bond) Fiennes himself could have played Bond at one point in his career and still gives off many of the same qualities which would have made him a contender for the part all those years ago. The writing of his character in SF sells it fully (ie. him going from that more bureaucratic antagonistic type to someone who trusts Bond and is willing to go against the grain to get the job done) but it's there with the casting too which is genuinely interesting.

I think if they gave this hypothetical M some sort of quality that made him different from the next Bond then casting an actor with the gravitas that Elba has could work. It's also rather interesting casting another actor who could, in another lifetime, have actually been Bond and could give the Bond/M relationship a much more mentor/student dynamic. We haven't really seen that in the series. It just depends on how it's handled and how well (and even economically) Elba's presence is utilised.

Amazon doesn’t have a say in how Eon conducts their creative choices. Their only option is to either play ball or not do anything and sit on the franchise.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Technically I think Eon co-own it with MGM- it doesn't change anything but I guess it means neither can do anything without the other.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You’re right @mtm … The “‘til death do us part” relationship with MGM…
    EON would have to pick an actor that is so extremely objectionable that Amazon can’t move forward.

But also remember, this is the same company that had no issue with casting POC as hobbits, which supposedly spun a lot of dorks into a frenzy and cried “WOKE”.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    As I think I saw Frankie Boyle say on the television the other day; 'woke' just seems to mean "I saw a black person".
    And yes, you're quite right- the evidence seems to suggest they wouldn't have a problem.
  • EON would have to pick an actor that is so extremely objectionable that Amazon can’t move forward.

But also remember, this is the same company that had no issue with casting POC as hobbits, which supposedly spun a lot of dorks into a frenzy and cried “WOKE”.

To be honest, I’m not even sure if Amazon would care if the next person was extremely objectionable. It’s a different studio/franchise entirely, but look at how WB is willing to bat for Ezra Miller regardless of all the crimes they’ve committed.

I just hope the next Bond actor doesn’t have a track record like Miller.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Good point @007ClassicBondFan … we are living in times where most can’t afford a history like Miller’s. I have to believe EoN and their partners have vetting protocols in place. With the actor’s consent, I’m sure they will do a deep dive into his past, his socials, interviews. They’ll go over his history with a fine tooth comb (I’ve coached competitive hockey, and we had to go through a police background check; it’ll be the same thing here, but far deeper an investigation… The last thing EoN would want is a hit film, with a hit actor, only to find he did something morally abhorrent and illegal before taking the role).
    edited May 2023 Posts: 8,020
    EON would have to pick an actor that is so extremely objectionable that Amazon can’t move forward.

To be honest, I’m not even sure if Amazon would care if the next person was extremely objectionable. It’s a different studio/franchise entirely, but look at how WB is willing to bat for Ezra Miller regardless of all the crimes they’ve committed.

I think the difference with Miller is that the studio had already shot the film and spent so much money on it that their options were limited. If Miller had very publicly done those petty crimes BEFORE production began I think WB would have been firing.

As it is, WB is now keeping Miller under heavy control in hopes they don’t distract from the film’s box office potential. If it bombs, they have Miller as the scapegoat and black listed from every major studio. If it miraculously makes AVATAR money, WB will then throw a campaign about how he has been rehabilitated and is still working to better himself, blah blah blah.
  • EON would have to pick an actor that is so extremely objectionable that Amazon can’t move forward.

I think the difference with Miller is that the studio had already shot the film and spent so much money on it that their options were limited. If Miller had very publicly done those petty crimes BEFORE production began I think WB would have been firing.

As it is, WB is now keeping Miller under heavy control in hopes they don’t distract from the film’s box office potential. If it bombs, they have Miller as the scapegoat and black listed from every major studio. If it miraculously makes AVATAR money, WB will then throw a campaign about how he has been rehabilitated and is still working to better himself, blah blah blah.

They’re already trying to push the “rehabilitated” narrative with some of the recent comments made by Michael Shannon, and the production designer. I just find the optics of a Multi Billion Dollar Studio going to those lengths to defend a criminal incredibly jarring, but I really shouldn’t be surprised.

Good point @007ClassicBondFan … we are living in times where most can’t afford a history like Miller’s. I have to believe EoN and their partners have vetting protocols in place. With the actor’s consent, I’m sure they will do a deep dive into his past, his socials, interviews. They’ll go over his history with a fine tooth comb (I’ve coached competitive hockey, and we had to go through a police background check; it’ll be the same thing here, but far deeper an investigation… The last thing EoN would want is a hit film, with a hit actor, only to find he did something morally abhorrent and illegal before taking the role).

I hope so. Speaking as a fan, it’s always a crappy feeling when you adore someone’s work and art, and details come out about their private life that make you have conflicting views. EON has been pretty good at getting people who have had pretty clean backgrounds in that respect. I mean I haven’t heard any serious allegations made against any of the Bonds other than Connery.

Not as Bond, but as a supporting character in which his physical stature is not emphasized humorously, as was the portrayal of Nick Nack. PD would make a great Q. Or even a villain.