Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be counting them down. With double digit days remaining by tomorrow, surely the marketing has got to start properly ramping up again. I'll be surprised if we hit the end of the month without another trailer or something.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,327
    Keanu Reeves on Tom Cruise...

Class.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Exciting times now, we're just over 3 months away

I'm looking forward to seeing how they join the two films, and make them feel like two complete stories. Surely 7 will have a cliffhanger or maybe the team won't succeed? At least initially
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    So… M:I is copying marvel again? Funny. When Bond is accused of that the fans are outraged. But when Tom Cruise does it… crickets.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2023 Posts: 13,894
    So… M:I is copying marvel again? Funny. When Bond is accused of that the fans are outraged. But when Tom Cruise does it… crickets.

dog-huh.gif

The Craig:Bond era has copied Bourne, and the Nolan Batman films, but when did Marvel seep in?

Also, as Bond fans, maybe, just maybe, we hold Bond to a higher standard.
    You must have missed the “they’re copying marvel” chatter during SP and NTTD.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I haven't seen that many Marvel films... 6 off the top of my head, and I can't say that I have seen any Marvel influence in Bond. And of the outside influences on Bond, I don't recall any mention of Marvel.
    More specifically CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER because of the Hydra plot but also because of how Marvel movies are interconnected and SP trying to tie the movies was an attempt at copying Marvel.

AVENGERS: ENDGAME, because it gives a hero a grand death and eulogy. But that could be chalked up to “trends” because so many other movies do that now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Copying Marvel how? A film in two parts? Ever seen Harry Potter?
    I’m jesting
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I watched M:I 2 and 3 recently. I haven't seen them for more than ten years and I was curious how much I would like them now.
    I liked M:I 2 as a teenager but I also remembered from a later watch that there were some stupid moments in it.
    Unfortunately, I didn't like much of it this time. Newton is good and the moment where the bad guy kills his friend instead of Hunt stands out. The best scene for me was the one where Hunt and Nyah met in the bathroom. Unfortunately, the rest is always over the top in a bad way. The car chase is absolutely stupid, the slow motions annoying (why? I absolutely love Face/Off but here, the direction feels wrong). Also disappointing is Hunt's team: one guy is so forgettable that I only remember that he flies the helicopter and Luther isn't much better: the screenplay gave him only a few lame jokes about his expensive shoes/clothes ...and why is Cruise' smile so annoying here while it is fine in all other M:I movies??
    Overall, this second installment was much worse than I expected, by far the low point of these films (imo).
    M:I 3, however, was better than I had in mind.
    Someone wrote that the part with the windmills is weak compared to the the rest and I felt the same. The Berlin part was a bit too chaotic for my taste but the action got better and better afterwards.
    I like the cast: Hoffman owns every scene he is in. He is incredibly good, even scary. He doesn't get more screen time than Safin but he knows how to leave an impression.
    Monaghan is lovely as always and I liked it that she saved the day at the end.
    And there is Simon Pegg. Whoever casted this guy, thank you. He is such a likeable guy and I'm happy that he is still part of the show in the next movie.
    I wouldn't like to see another M:I entry from Abrams but overall, his direction was quite effective.
    M:I 3: interesting, intense and small scale "PTS", messy Berlin part, fun in the Vatikan and great tension in the second hour. Overall: Good stuff!

mtm wrote: »
    I do find it surprising as MacQuarrie has previously said that he has tried to squeeze in legacy characters to his previous MI films but the stories didn't accept them, so he wrote them out. He's also said many times that fan service is not worth chasing either, as he tried it in Jack Reacher and fans complained anyway.
    He also famously writes the scripts as he's going, so to make two films with a continuing story is a surprising move as well as it doesn't seem to fit his usual way of doing things. He does seem to have changed his approach for these ones.

I'm a huge fan of MacQ but I take his claims of "making it up as you go" with a pinch of salt. Especially when you are doing a back to back duo with some kind of plot/character connection.

McQ shared the recording of the theme on Instagram too. I smell another trailer by the end of the month or earlier in May at the latest.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2023 Posts: 5,869
    The hero to villain ratio in this film feels like it's gonna be... interesting.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I also take the “ making it up as you go” but I do think MacQuarrie is a master of of adapting and pivoting during a production and keeping the storylines fairly tight and plot hole sparse. I’ve often thought that I would have loved to have seen the scripts for SPECTRE and No Time To Die “ doctored” by MacQuarrie. There’s little doubt that he would have improved both.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah especially Spectre, because I think there's loads of good ideas in there. His genius is he can stitch all of that sort of stuff together to make a satisfying narrative, which the finished film arguably didn't manage.
    I think he did make a vague swipe towards Spectre at one point, which is that he said he was watching an action film (I think this is around the time Rogue Nation came out) which featured a load of exposition being given during an action scene, something he's very much against because he thinks the audience don't want that and you're asking them to think about two things at once- my impression was that he would be referring to the Rome chase in Spectre.
    Probably the best example of poor exposition mucking up an action sequence (not that the action itself was remotely appealing or engaging, past the beauty of Rome on display).
    Read all the SP scripts that were leaked. So many rewrites, but the biggest mess was the execution (and the awful colorgrading). And don't even get me started on the "your arch nemesis is indeed your foster brother"-angle.
    Yeah we are getting closer exciting I'm surprised a new trailer isn't here
    It's cinemacon this week, so I imagine they'll show the people attending a new trailer or some new behind the scenes video. Then release it online afterwards.

Hopefully the next trailer is a bit more polished and better scored than the one we got last year
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh it's cinemacon? That's where they did a surprise screening of Top Gun, isn't it? You never know, I guess.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I can hardly wait for these two movies.
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh it's cinemacon? That's where they did a surprise screening of Top Gun, isn't it? You never know, I guess.

I believe so mate. I'm not sure if they'll show MI7, they were still trying to trim the film down. So probably a new trailer is a safer bet

@SecretAgentMan007 same mate
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    It's cinemacon this week, so I imagine they'll show the people attending a new trailer or some new behind the scenes video. Then release it online afterwards.

Hopefully the next trailer is a bit more polished and better scored than the one we got last year

I'm debating if I want to see more the film with another trailer don't want to be spoiled.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Jordo007 wrote: »

I'm debating if I want to see more the film with another trailer don't want to be spoiled.
    As much as I don’t want to see more, I’d watch a new trailer in a New York minute.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Moving up two days is absolutely fine by me! I hope we get that new footage soon that they saw at CinemaCon.
    It mentions a new trailer but I'm not seeing it anywhere. I guess we'll have to wait a few days. *Sigh*
    It mentions a new trailer but I'm not seeing it anywhere. I guess we'll have to wait a few days. *Sigh*

They got a second trailer and 20 minutes of footage at CinemaCon, which was an exclusive for the audience there. There's no way we reach the end of May without a second trailer.