Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

True. So true.
    The drama should be the one other characters have to endure. This is what feeds our own deep rooted desire to be saved into an escapist adventure. The mundane and its dramas need to have escape points. And we should have our own escapists to lead us to those points of escape and rescue. Ethan Hunt or James Bond or Indy… Being remember of our heroes mundane nature and their failability was fashionable in the last few years, but do we need that right now? Do we need to be reminded of death, family issues, sickness, suffering,…?

I say no. Really looking forward to see this in the cinema and to feel what Cruise made me feel with Maverick. The man still knows jow to balance things the right way.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He’s already done that in 3 and that was dreadful.

Yes, but it was great in GP and Fallout. I also find his relationship with Elsa really interesting... if you're going to have a movie about a team then you need a team dynamic, and that's drama. It's certainly what I want alongside all of the action and excitement, not least because it helps build the tension for those things.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I prefer how it was done in ROGUE NATION where there was a hint of an attraction between Hunt and Elsa, but they were ultimately spies that will never get involved and at the most can have mutual respect and admiration. So I REALLY dislike where FALLOUT went with Elsa. It’s like Tom Cruise decided to put one of his weird fantasy scenarios of his ex wives giving their approval of him dating someone.

But I also wasn’t a fan of FALLOUT essentially being an extension of the last movie, rather than being a new standalone adventure. Solomon Lane quickly became the most obnoxious villain in the series.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 2023 Posts: 14,961
    Yeah, villains should be nice .. ;)

I'm just joshing. I don't agree, I think he's good and I like the films continuing the story, but fair enough. You don't need to have seen any of the previous films to follow Fallout also.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Lane was a great villain in both films, for sure.

There is also a case to be made that there were was more than a "hint of attraction" in Rogue Nation between Ethan and Ilsa. She quite literally asked him to run away with her.
    Lane was a great villain IMHO and is an example that you dont need a scar, metal hand, missing eye etc etc to be a great villain.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    As weird as it sounds, I think the first trailer had a better punch. Also, like NTTD's mistake, they might be showing too much of Cruise's bike jump in the trailers. But I look forward to the film for sure.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I am very much wondering what the plot will be and if they'll release any sort of synopsis
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    patb wrote: »
    Lane was a great villain IMHO and is an example that you dont need a scar, metal hand, missing eye etc etc to be a great villain.

“Great” is kind of overselling it.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 303
    The motorbike stunt is cgi. The mountain terrain, the background all composites. Cruise did do jumps with wire safety as YouTube video promotion but we'll have to see if any of that footage actually appears in the final cut.

The halo jump was all cgi in the last MI film although Cruise did film sky jumps for promotion. Cruise is an avid sky jumper.

Imho Moonraker's opening sky stunt still the best ever done in a film.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    bondywondy wrote: »
    The motorbike stunt is cgi. The mountain terrain, the background all composites. Cruise did do jumps with wire safety as YouTube video promotion but we'll have to see if any of that footage actually appears in the final cut.

The ramp has been changed to rocky terrain understandably, but I don't see that the background has been comped in. He's doing the jump.
    Not sure what you mean by wire safety?
    The halo jump was all cgi in the last MI films although Cruise did film sky jumps for promotion.

It's clearly not all CG. He's jumping out of a real plane quite plainly. There are some shots in there performed in a wind tunnel though, yes.
    I made an error posting my last comment. Copy and paste mess. 🙄 I'll repost it. Sorry.
    The ramp has been changed to rocky terrain understandably, but I don't see that the background has been comped in. He's doing the jump.
    Not sure what you mean wire safety?

The close ups on Cruise in the halo jump looked green screened. Paramount (which produces the MI franchise) were not given permission to film the halo jump at night over Paris. Inho the halo jump in TND looked far more realistic. Wonderful camera work and editing.

Re wire safety... Cruise was on a wire:

tom-cruise-1-2000-3e5bfdc33e9f4e4a8fa022e7a2139784.webp

Whether or not any of those jumps are in the final edit.. who knows. All we see is a far overhead shot which looks composited. No close up at all. My guess is we'll see a closer angle in the film. Not much point Tom Cruise riding off a cliff and no closer shot to see it's him actually doing it! That would be strange.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Maybe it's just me, and this is based solely on the two trailers we have seen so far, but I find Hayley Atwell's look of shock / surprise to be annoying.
    I'm not sure who or what her character is or does, so maybe I'm being unfair, but from the trailers it just irks me a little.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Not sure what you mean wire safety?

The close ups on Cruise in the halo jump looked green screened. Paramount (which produces the MI franchise) were not given permission to film the halo jump at night over Paris. Inho the halo jump in TND looked far more realistic. Wonderful camera work and editing.

They replaced the backgrounds, yes: they weren't over Paris. But he clearly is doing real jumps for some of it, for some of it (like the stuff where he's swapping the air tank etc.) that was done in a giant skydive wind tunnel at ground level.
    The initial close up where he jumps out of the plane and zooms towards camera is all real.
    Re wire safety... Cruise was on a wire:

tom-cruise-1-2000-3e5bfdc33e9f4e4a8fa022e7a2139784.webp

That's from the test jumps they conducted at ground level in the UK. Notice his hair is a lot longer than in the film. They did a lot of testing to make sure of how it would work. There are plenty of videos of him doing the jump properly in Norway with a parachute, including from passer bys who watched the filming from below the cliff.

You can see pretty much when that photo was taken in the first few seconds of this video, and the test jumps into a quarry are shown at about 2.50 in:

The test jumps are not the ones in the film.

Frankly it would be easier to do it for real than to fake this video.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, the shots of him on a cable are for test jumps.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I hope it ends with a trailer for Pt 2 like Back to the Future 2 did :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I hope it ends on a cliffhanger with the words...to be continued!
    ;)
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I can't blame the Mission Impossible films for going full BOND lately, because the tropes have been abandoned by EON for a while now.
    I have a feeling (as with Infinity War) that Part 1 will have a very dark/sad ending as a setup for a revenge plot in Part 2. (and there is a clue write there in the title)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Well I guess it has to be taken to crisis point in some way, with some sort of cliffhanger, to incentivise the audience to see the next film. I'm not sure a pure revenge plot would be very MI though.
    the good thing with team based movies is (unlike Bond) you can have the death of one of the team and the team still remains. Plus, we know TC has the acting chops to pull this off. I think I know who's going.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    They are very pointedly talking about how much he values the lives of his teammembers in the trailer. I wonder if they'd actually put Hunt in a situation were he would have to choose between mission or team or his own live.
    I'm not a huge expert in the series, but MI strikes me as always giving Hunt the chance (and him of course taking it), to accomplish the mission and save all his friends/wife/whatever. Not that I'm a fiend who needs to see Ilsa or Benji or Luther or Vanessa Kirby's character die for the film to be succesful (escapist entertainment and all that), but they do hint at it quite heavily and it would be a pretty massive ending for the first one (albeit almost a cliche).
    Yes, one of the themes in Fallout was Hunt's attitude to life and his attempt to keep everyone alive (inc bystanders) and, at the same time, achieve the mission. This is clearly extended within the new trailer. This theme will IMHO heighten the loss/shock when/if one of the team dies.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    patb wrote: »
    the good thing with team based movies is (unlike Bond) you can have the death of one of the team and the team still remains. Plus, we know TC has the acting chops to pull this off. I think I know who's going.

I definitely thought that Benji might die in the climax to Fallout- it was very tense because, as you say, it's perfectly possible for a team member to die.
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 4,600
    Benji has developed well as the "comic" so is needed for that dynamic and I dont think he means enough to Hunt emotionally (and, therefore to the audience) as others in the group. There has been much talk from Bond fans regarding how brillaint a hard and gritty direct follow up would have been to OHMSS. IMHO, that's where McQ is taking us.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Oh I think he means a lot to Hunt: as you see in Rogue Nation, he's the one he trusts. And he means a lot to the audience too. Plus Pegg looks rather haunted these days so can't have too many left!
    But you think they'll kill Elsa? Yes, that seems possible. I hope not though because she's such a strong female character, and killing her might venture into 'fridging' territory, which I don't see McQ indulging in.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland

Simon Pegg lost his hand. Shocking.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Ha!
    I can't help but think there must have been better shots of Cruise available though? It feels like a bit of a snap and he wasn't quite ready...?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    mtm wrote: »
    Oh I think he means a lot to Hunt: as you see in Rogue Nation, he's the one he trusts. And he means a lot to the audience too. Plus Pegg looks rather haunted these days so can't have too many left!
    But you think they'll kill Elsa? Yes, that seems possible. I hope not though because she's such a strong female character, and killing her might venture into 'fridging' territory, which I don't see McQ indulging in.

Killing Benji makes sense from an "arc" point of view. He sees Ethan not just as a friend, but also as an inspiration. He was just a nerdy analyst when he was introduced, but he became a field agent of the back of his interactions with Ethan. The impact that could have on Hunt would be equally as impactful as losing someone he loved.