Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

So no fattys! Strong build, killer stare.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    So Mrs. Benny gave me her views on Bond #7
    As a completely non Bond fan I choose to listen to her, when it comes to casting the next Bond.
    She did think that the photo of Connery Bond in TB that I posted earlier was okay. But likes Craig Bond the most. Mostly because he's real.
    She doesn't like the over the top Bond.
    I've suggested actors like Theo James to her, but she finds him too smarmy. Although I've told her, he's only acting.
    From a females perspective it seems to me that casting Bond is not as easy as it might seem.
  • Bond being an active military, it should be obvious he has a physique to match this activity. He obviously shouldn't be a Dwayne Johnson type, but his job requires him to be athletically built.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    He needs to be able to run, look like he can take a punch and deliver one, and be attractive, either conventionally or unconventionally. But is a topless shot really mandatory these days? Genuine question, I really don’t know.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Torgeirtrap , no intent to hurt your feelings, 😂 ( not unless you’re a candidate to be the next Bond!)

I think it’s safe to say that the next actor won’t be built like The Rock, but like Craig, he will look athletic. The days of the dad-bod Bond are over.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He lo
    He needs to be able to run, look like he can take a punch and deliver one, and be attractive, either conventionally or unconventionally. But is a topless shot really mandatory these days? Genuine question, I really don’t know.

Mandatory? No. Inevitable? Absolutely
    You can't deny that Connery looked good.
    Craig, sells it also, but Connery looked very good.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited March 2023 Posts: 1,318
    peter wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap , no intent to hurt your feelings, 😂 ( not unless you’re a candidate to be the next Bond!)

I think it’s safe to say that the next actor won’t be built like The Rock, but like Craig, he will look athletic. The days of the dad-bod Bond are over.

Peter, this is a typical dad bod:

Dadbod.jpg

None of the Bonds had a body like that.
    @JeremyBondon where did you get that photo of me?
    Benny wrote: »
    @JeremyBondon where did you get that photo of me?

You're on Wikipedia mate. As the man with the quintessential dad bod. 😁
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JeremyBondon … I’d say Moore was very close to that pic.

But, seriously, as with most things, there’s a spectrum, or a ball park: if your pic is a dad bod , then Dalton is in that ball park, and skinny-fat Brozz is as well.

I don’t think Connery entered that ball park until he started shooting YOLT, and definitely reached it by Diamonds.

But the point is, the dad bod is out, and the new Bond will be like Craig: athletic.
    Well at least I'm not letting anyone down with that bod.

That I am not, that's for sure! 😂
    A fair and balanced take by ex-Bond girl Britt Ekland:

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/520029/ex-bond-girl-britt-ekland-says-next-007-should-be-more-like-sir-roger-moore/

"While the 77-year-old actress admires the success of Craig’s 21st century movies she wants the next Bond to be a lot more like the late screen icon Sir Roger Moore.

A man who can deliver a cheeky double entendre with a twinkle in his eye is preferable to one with a well worn gym membership, she reckons.

“Daniel is not my Bond,” declares Britt, resplendent in pink Zandra Rhodes dress when we meet at London’s Richmond Theatre, where she is starring in the thriller The Cat And The Canary.

“He is what young people want today. Roger Moore is my Bond. I like that kind of Bond — suave, elegant, well spoken, cheeky.”

Britt says: “I don’t think he can be so young. My personal preference is that he should be tall, not an extraordinarily buff body, just fit enough.

“He should have brown hair, slightly longish, slightly below the ears. He should look approachable and have a cheeky chappy look in his eyes.”

What is clear from speaking to Britt is that she doesn’t align herself with the modern woke generation.

Born in Stockholm in 1942, she has little time for political correctness or feminist calls for a woman to take over as 007.

She says: “Ian Fleming wrote the James Bond books and that’s the answer to who he should be. I don’t enjoy women being superheroes.

“Everything is too serious today. People go to the theatre because their lives are so boring, everything has been taken away from them."

“Everything is politically correct now and it certainly wasn’t then.”

For Britt, the essential elements of Bond are exciting effects, new gadgets — and beautiful girls."

In short: I love this woman
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Oh c’mon Jeremy, 😂… Desperate times call for a Sun article.

Shall we turn to what Sir Rog had to say about Craig?

Sigh…

Listen man, in the end, I think you’ll find the next actor— whenever that comes— will be very athletic. He won’t have breasts like Rog, he won’t be hairy and skinny yet doughy like Brozz (any hair will be manicured), he will likely have a finally defined and muscular physique.

I’m going to guess we’ve exhausted this subject: you want a Dalton-Brozz built actor and I think you’ll find modern casting won’t agree with you. Just as smoking has gone out of style, the suck-in-your-gut and fake it bods are also of yesteryear (unless in comedies, or films about an “every man”, but even then it’s dependent on the genre).

There’s nothing much more to add.
    I want someone relatively young (27-33 or so to start), who can bring something new to the table, but still 100% feel like James Bond should feel. That’s all.
    Whilst it has it's merits, I'm not sure if this is the true take on what women in general want from a James Bond.
    Oh c’mon Jeremy, 😂… Desperate times call for a Sun article.

Shall we turn to what Sir Rog had to say about Craig?

Sigh…

Listen man, in the end, I think you’ll find the next actor— whenever that comes— will be very athletic. He won’t have breasts like Rog, he won’t be hairy and skinny yet doughy like Brozz (any hair will be manicured), he will likely have a finally defined and muscular physique.

I’m going to guess we’ve exhausted this subject: you want a Dalton-Brozz built actor and I think you’ll find modern casting won’t agree with you. Just as smoking has gone out of style, the suck-in-your-gut and fake it bods are also of yesteryear (unless in comedies, or films about an “every man”, but even then it’s dependent on the genre).

There’s nothing much more to add.

Peter, how about you actually read the interesting interview, to read what a woman's perspective actually entails, an actual Bond girl. Notice how she mentions Bond should be just fit enough. Basically I agree with her on all points and we don't, like most of the times. Opinions > water > bridge. Next.

@Benny Many women, not all.
    A Bond girl who is pushing 80. Sadly Britt has no more idea on who should be a Bond than anyone else. Yes, she was a Bond girl. Yes, she was in a Bond movie. Almost 50 years ago!
    I find such interviews and opinions about as worthy as an easter egg on a hot day.
    A Bond girl who is pushing 80. Sadly Britt has no more idea on who should be a Bond than anyone else. Yes, she was a Bond girl. Yes, she was in a Bond movie. Almost 50 years ago!
    I find such interviews and opinions about as worthy as an easter egg on a hot day.

You sound a tad ageist, dear Benny and a little patronising as well. Her opinion is as valid as yours, mine or Peter's.
    Why? Because I don't agree with a former Bond girl?

The way your formulate your opinion, basically implying her opinion is worthless due to age.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @JeremyBondon you like a certain physique. You called Tim’s body “perf”. That’s pleasing to your eye.

I disagree, for sure. I’ve always played sports and I’ve lived in a gym since I was fifteen, so my slant for certain characters in certain jobs will be expecting physical and athletic fitness.

More importantly, as I said above, this is a moot discussion: whatever an older actress, whom you love, says, the casting directors and general worldwide audiences probably disagree with you two and the next Bond will be just as muscular and athletic as Craig.

This discussion has exhausted itself. If the next Bond has a figure that looks similar to Dalton or Brozz, I’ll mail you ten bucks, Jeremy.

But the chances of that happening are between slim and none.

The way your formulate your opinion, basically implying her opinion is worthless due to age.

Not at all. Her comments are from the past.
    Bond has changed, and the audience has changed with him. Whether we like it or not.
    Bond # 7 isn't necessarily going to be who we think it is, or how we think he should look. Take that as you will.

Not at all. Her comments are from the past.
    Bond has changed, and the audience has changed with him. Whether we like it or not.
    Bond # 7 isn't necessarily going to be who we think it is, or how we think he should look. Take that as you will.

There are many more people who agree with her and myself. Thankfully.
    Not that I would deny that.
    But who?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Those “many people” @JeremyBondon ,won’t be casting James Bond any time soon.

I’d gather outside of you, the vast majority don’t want Bond to look like the hairy, skinny dude they see at the gym.

And, I’ll guess, most don’t want Bond to look like The Rock.

The next guy will have a build that’s lean, muscular, strong, athletic .

If I’m wrong, I will send you ten bucks. No, make it twenty.

But you like what you like. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just don’t be surprised that when the new guy is seen on screen, he won’t be physically akin to Dalton or Brozz.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Sam Claflin complained he had to lose his muscles when he took on the role of Billy Dunne for Daisy Jones and the Six. I’m guessing most young lead actors today keep up a certain level of physique (with exceptions - I remember Finn Jones took a lot of flack for not being ripped in Iron Fist).

Craig caused a certain amount of buzz for his ripped physique and his more sophisticated fighting style, it’s definitely a much more physical role today than back in Roger Moore’s day.

Ed Speleers was mentioned a little while ago. I’m currently watching him in Picard and think he’s pretty good so far (I would have preferred him as Harry Palmer than Joe Cole).
    I See 158 unread comments and think is there some actual news

And nope…. Maybe I should tend to my garden or go for a run lol

At least Yes is putting out some amazing stuff

Also I still say we all know who the 7th actor to play Bond is we know who the director is and as the announcements come starting this summer and everyone says “I can’t believe this” I will sit back and think should I say I told you so or act shocked
  • peterpeter Toronto
    So I guess they hire a new James Bond from one meeting, no auditions and no competition?

It’s only the most important role to cast for EoN.

And rumours from tabloids, where you may be acquiring your news, stated that this one actor had shot the gun barrel and would be announced in March.

Time’s a-ticking….

And in the twenty four hour media cycle, to think not one reputable source has actually broken the news (and breaking news (I.e. clicks, clicks and more clicks), are their bread and butter).

I’d suggest something big is going down at EoN and it may not be about ATJ.