What Ever Happened To...Sheikh Hosein from TSWLM? (page 41)

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    thedove wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I'm a bit disenchanted with this, since "gypsy" has definitely derived into a derogatory term since 1963. Or probably it has always been just that before. I admit I don't know how to deal with it. It may have been okay then, and we may still love the movie from then, but we don't have to continue using that moniker "gypsy", even in a setting like this. What do you people say?

I apologize, I didn't mean to offend or give these actresses short shrift. I can edit my comments or delete them if others feel the same. I have removed the term from our title thread I will do better with future characters if the terms are derogatory.
    No need to apologize. It's just that I had recently done some Web research to find out if the English word is considered as derogatory as its German equivalent "Zigeuner", which implies that they are "itinerant villains". And yes, it seems that to the Roma the "g-word" is equivalent to black people being called the "n-word".

And FRWL is still my favourite Bond movie in spite of it.
    Except that there are Roms who use Gypsy as a badge of honour. Musicians The Gypsy Kings, for example. It originally comes from the word Egyptian, because back then, people thought that Roms came from Egypt (erroneously, as it turned out). In France, there are many words describing them, according to their provenance : Manouches (those who come from Germany), Tziganes (From Romania, Hungary and thereabouts), Gitans (from Spain), Bohémiens (from Bohemia, of course), and Romanichels (from Romania). The term has also been coopted by the theater community, in English-speking countries, to call the actors, singers, dancers and musicians that work in musicals. And let's not forget the famous (or infamous, depending on your point of view) stripper Gypsy Rose Lee (who may have had a bit of Romani blood in her veins).
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm a bit disenchanted with this, since "gypsy" has definitely derived into a derogatory term since 1963. Or probably it has always been just that before. I admit I don't know how to deal with it. It may have been okay then, and we may still love the movie from then, but we don't have to continue using that moniker "gypsy", even in a setting like this. What do you people say?

Considering the pride with which my Ukrainian wife talks about Ukrainian Gypsies (often enough calling herself that when she looks a bit like a Gypsy) I find it not deragatory at all. Gypsies are cool imo. Its not my culture, but I certainly respect theirs.

One indeed married the son, the other left the camp, and went on to start her own clothing business.
    https://zoradesigners.com/
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,691
    Yeah, whatever. It's like Black people calling each other by the "n" name (not just in Tarantino movies). Doesn't mean that the rest of the (white) world should also do it. I never heard "manouches", by the way. The German term is "Zigeuner", apparently derived from the Greek "Ἀθίγγανοι" (Athínganoi - the Untouchables), just like "tsiganes", but it has been interpreted to mean "ziehende Gauner" (roaming/itinerant villains/crooks/hustlers) later on. "Gypsy" was derived from an early impression that those people came from Egypt, much like Native Americans were called Indians because Columbus made that little geographic mistake.

To sum this up:

"At the first World Romani Congress in 1971, its attendees unanimously voted to reject the use of all exonyms for the Romani people, including Gypsy, due to their aforementioned negative and stereotypical connotations." (cf. Wikipedia - Romani People)

Since we're certainly not calling Black people "n..." on this board (or so I hope), we should respect the wish of the Roma and Sinti not to be called by other names. At least I try to avoid that. And I'm certainly normally not among the "woke" crowd. But offending whole ethnicities doesn't do it for me. Quite the contrary.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yeah, whatever. It's like Black people calling each other by the "n" name (not just in Tarantino movies). Doesn't mean that the rest of the (white) world should also do it. I never heard "manouches", by the way. The German term is "Zigeuner", apparently derived from the Greek "Ἀθίγγανοι" (Athínganoi - the Untouchables), just like "tsiganes". but it has been interpreted to mean "ziehende Gauner" (roaming/itinerant villains/crooks/hustlers) later on. "Gypsy" was derived from an early impression that those people came from Egypt, much like Native Americans were called Indians because Columbus made that little geographic mistake.

To sum this up:

"At the first World Romani Congress in 1971, its attendees unanimously voted to reject the use of all exonyms for the Romani people, including Gypsy, due to their aforementioned negative and stereotypical connotations." (cf. Wikipedia - Romani People)

Since we're certainly not calling Black people "n..." on this board (or so I hope), we should respect the wish of the Roma and Sinti not to be called by other names. At least I try to avoid that. And I'm certainly normally not on the "woke" crowd. But offending whole ethnicities doesn't do it for me. Quite the contrary.

Well, my wife isn't Roma at all, just looks like it sometimes, and again the word has no negative connotation to me whatsoever. Black people using the N-word and then prohibiting others to do the same is as racist as others using it with derogatory intent. Same goes for the word gypsy. You either use it, or you don't. But claiming one group of poeple can and another can't, is racist in itself.
    So, to me, this seems like another one of those over-sensitive reactions. Words in themselves aren't derogatory, their use can be. We can use the word 'Roma' instead, but many will use it in the same negative way as they use 'gypsy' now, and then we can go to the next word, and the next... Allthough atmittatly the word 'roma' probably fits better, as they are definately not from Egypt.
    As a matter of fact, I do agree with much you say, @CommanderRoss. I do think that avoiding the use of a word just because some misuse it as derogatory hands the victory to them.

For instance, German media do not use the term "Führer" any more, although it is a simple translation of the English "leader", and only because it was misused by the Nazis by applying it as a title to Hitler. They (the media, or most of them) now translate "leader" as "Anführer"...but that term, for all that I've learned, has negative connotations: "Ein Anführer" is a leader of a gang of robbers or a group of pirates or or at worst partisans (seen from the enemy's side).

I wish they would just dump the Nazis' interpretation of that word to the junk heap of history and use "Führer" for actual leaders again. Same with some very simple abbreviations which are out of bounds in Germany because they were also used for Nazi organizations. Such as SA and SS, which you can't even get on your car registration plate. But I think that Sabine Andersen and Siegfried Schmidt should be able to use their initials as everybody else.

Nevertheless, I think when an ethnic group asks not to be called a certain moniker through their organisations, it is something that should be respected. Even while some members of that group manage to make some money from employing that moniker cleverly.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Almost an elimination game afoot. Third try. Taken too far as I usually do with a joke.

Unhappy with life in Europe, V. and Z. both escaped further unrest in Europe.

Z. used her connections to start a career in the SIS. She was competent and successful, promoted to a much-sought-after assignment in the Bahamas. Unfortunately her career ended up under water and cut short (declassified: Operation Thunderball). Tabled, really.

V. went all in on a new life. She moved on to start a successful franchise ownership in New York City.

Known today as one of over 250 McDonald's Restaurants in the Big Apple, she chooses to personalize the menu to highlight her origins.

f83ec0c831f18ed9f782b812188b61719a6366b1.pnj

mcdonalds-romania-themed-menu-2014.jpg

208364148981994512-400x300.png

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2023 Posts: 17,805
    They eventually bit each other's nipples off. See the novel.
    Christ, @RichardTheBruce, how do you do this? I find it fascinating, and I wonder how you survived for ages on the IMDb board before 2017 because there was no opportunity to upload images.
    You're blaspheming again. I don't have to post with a blasphemer. If that joke can fly here. And I am joking.

91299570-84bb-4ab9-a861-d9d8652626d1_text.gif

But anyway, after some troubled times... relative and fellow Romani Garry Marshall welcomed them both in the States and had great success as co-producer of a television sitcom based in part on their real-life adventures turned into mad-cap hi-jinks.

giphy.gif
    laverne-and-shirley-dancing.gif
    CheapMildAnt-size_restricted.gif
    825c21_15e5b4013e9a41c9b6d419577591cdec.jpg

V. and Z. sought to celebrate their roots by supporting an organization representing the shared background.

1623757426_35539_gif-url.gif

ef2306d8a4eae18269146cebbdc444bc12bb2130.jpg

giphy.gif
    c2b195c00f7b4e674ab2377e3117135b06960f42.pnj
    EON considered an animated spinoff of Vida and Zora adventures (with the the pitch that each week they wrestle to resolve a new matter) as means to keep the Bond filming rights exercised after 1989, while court actions delayed the feature films.

But they decided to go with the cartoon James Bond Jr instead.

https://twitter.com/WriterDjb/status/1091655193203302401
    DyZWnBFX4AAAXRi.jpg
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Good stuff as always! Time to leave the ladies behind and jump ahead to another character who lived to fight another day.

I figure we should recycle this character as he was the first one we did in this thread and enough time as passed that we may have different thoughts on what became of him.

He had a thriving business out in the desert of Las Vegas, or was it California? No I am pretty sure it was Nevada. His décor was out there as was his crematorium. I am talking about everyone's favourite funeral director Morton Slumber. He knew how to sweet talk diamond smugglers, not sure why Wint and Kidd didn't have to off him like everyone else who touched those diamonds, but that's a question for another day!

Last seen with Shady Tree and showing his anger with Bond by smashing the lid of his charred coffin. Morton had precious little screen time and yet left an impression on me. So dear Mi6 community, whatever happened to Morton Slumber?
  • To supplement his funeral home business, Slumber opened a chain of floral arrangement shops which soon went international. His new enterprise thrived under the slogan, "We have people everywhere."
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Oh, the irony. He dead.
  • very creepy sequence
    Despite the suspicions of some demographics, Mort Slumber enjoyed moderate success with a sideline of specialty coffee and tea products marketed under various brands.

37b8cd31c0d825c5af3bd107b2489bf585296e3f.pnj

Mort Slumber's sidelines really took off with his specialty brews.

9442d8c908d49058fb0f20d7a5ca94dc260f84f0.pnj

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2023 Posts: 17,805
    Back in 1978 after a long and productive week spent pulling the gold fillings and gold teeth out of the corpses in his funeral parlour Morton Slumber sadly yet ironically fell asleep at the wheel of one of his hearses. He careered into a canyon to his death. He was cremated. What a waste.
    Did he burn his hands opening the coffin in DAD ? He was angry with Bond, and turned off the furnace and ejected the coffin. That coffin's exterior MUST have been blazing hot !
    Considering this - what occurred to him immediately thereafter was a visit to the burn unit at the local hospital. Care to explain what happened, Mr. Slumber ? "Oh, one of the employees was taking a nap in a coffin - our most comfortable model - and nearly was torched. I heroically rescued him."
    Since62 wrote: »
    Did he burn his hands opening the coffin in DAD ? He was angry with Bond, and turned off the furnace and ejected the coffin. That coffin's exterior MUST have been blazing hot !
    Considering this - what occurred to him immediately thereafter was a visit to the burn unit at the local hospital. Care to explain what happened, Mr. Slumber ? "Oh, one of the employees was taking a nap in a coffin - our most comfortable model - and nearly was torched. I heroically rescued him."

This had me laughing! Poor Morton, he just couldn't catch a break. Maybe Babs and Michael will greenlight a limited series. Golden Slumber follows the exploits of a funeral director who struggles to pay the bills without the use of his hands. Watch Morton find his way into the pipeline and out to redemption!
    Mr. Slumber's venture into comic book storytelling appealed to an offbeat, select audience.

s-l400.jpg
    image-comics-logo-16D25B0126-seeklogo.com.png
    Slumber
    https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/slumber
    Stetson is a nightmare hunter. A dream detective. She runs a shoddy back-alley business where she helps clients sleep at night by entering their dreams and killing their nightmares. But Stetson’s past comes back to haunt her when she tracks down a literal living nightmare—a serial killer that murders people in their sleep.

SLUMBER is an ongoing series from the twisted minds of writer TYLER BURTON SMITH (Kung Fury, Child’s Play) and rising-star artist VANESSA CARDINALI.

8b150444eefad189dbbd8317502a442cdd1d1fac.pnj
    edited February 2023 Posts: 4,970
    Lets move to a fowl character. He burst onto our screens in 1981 and was last seen tossing Bond's government issued watch into the sea. M would not be impressed with the misuse of the taxpayers money. However our blue feathered Max was always a bit of a trouble maker. Without his vocal assistance Bond and Melina wouldn't have been able to stop Kristatos from delivering the ATAC to St. Cyril. Fond of nuts and a loyal pet of Mr. Havelock.

Last seen alive and well on the yacht of Melina, I have to ask whatever happened to Max from FYEO did he fly away to another Greek mansion, or stay with Melina to console her when Bond left her high and dry?

Whatever happened to Max from For Your Eyes Only?
    Melina was fed up with Max after he also dropped her own golden watch into the ocean. She sold him to a pet shop in England where he unfortunately met his maker.
    377407eb-593c-4050-ad19-9be6576cd5d8_text.gif
    As a matter of fact, Max was purchased by the owner of an estate in the British countryside whose owner was in relation with the Secret Intelligence Service. And so, was a priviledged to a bit of fisticuff when a SMERSH agent invaded the kitchen. In fact, it was thanks to his testimony that the SIS agent who pulled such an impressive resistance got promoted to the 00 Section.
  • Max was hired by Eon Productions who found his hobby of repeating the plot lines of spy parodies helpful in producing scripts for new James Bond films.
    That (originally) Blue and gold macaw will outlive us all.

And still wants a kiss!

african-gray-parrot-cages.jpg
    His cousin became well-known. You see, this lady walked down the street every day and noticed a new pet shop. Happily, she stopped in and looked at all the critters. She saw the pretty bird and approach.
    "Hey, lady !" says the bird.
    She approaches closer.
    "You're ugly !" says the bird.
    "Oh my ! How rude !" and she stormed off.
    The next day the bird's cage was on the sidewalk, to attract business.
    The lady starts to cross the street but the bird calls to her..."Hey lady ! Awww, come onn...." She visits.
    The bird says "You're ugly !"
    She storms off.
    The third day she falls for it again but, before leaving, tells the manager all about it and tells him she will purchase the bird, so she can kill it. "Oh, no !" says the manager. "I'll have a talk with the bird. I will make sure he never says that to you again !"
    She leaves.
    Next day she's on the other side of the street.
    The bird calls to her. "Hey ladyyyyyy ! Come visit !"
    She ignores him.
    "Aw, come on," calls the bird. "Come say hello !"
    She breaks down and goes over.
    She stands before the cage and the bird is silent.
    "Well !" she says. "What do you have to say today ?"
    The bird says, "You know..."
    These entries are not disappointing! Great job with the creativity and the comedy.