Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    They might not be as far along as we would like , but I strongly feeling that they are much farther along than is being let on.

If I were a gambling man, I'd put a bet on this being correct.
    No movie producer is going to spill all the beans, as too how far along they are with a journo at the Bafta's red carpet. A bloke from LadBible get's a massive scoop on one of the biggest film franchises in the world. Probably not.
    A little more patience is required.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I strongly feeling that they are much farther along than is being let on.
    Exactly and again the fact we've been made aware of at least one very early stage meeting in terms of speaking to actors, it's difficult not to have that feeling.
    Benny wrote: »
    They might not be as far along as we would like , but I strongly feeling that they are much farther along than is being let on.
    +1
    It does make you wonder what EON have been up to for the past 18 months, right?

even if we are to assume they were busy right up until the release of Bond 25, that's still basically a year and half they've been sat on their hands for now. Even during the dreaded 89 - 95 era they still had scripts being written for dalton that were later scrapped once he left, but today they haven't even started the process in motion? assuming they took a year off for a break they'll probably bring in a writer/director in 2023, script finished/bond cast in 2024, film released late 2025 (if we're lucky).

I'll never get over the fact we've only had 3 entries since 2010.
    What is Babs supposed to say

Here are the scripts we are looking at or here is the meeting we are having with Chris Nolan now here is the meeting with ATJ

Oh shoot now they both want an extra 200,000 because fan demand is so high….

(Points to nose) this is a very old friend of mine and it says there is something up…
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I'm wondering how much B26 talk EON really want to engage in this year before the release of 007's Road To A Million.

Presumably even the slightest detail from B26 will trample all over anything to do with 007's Road To A Million, unless they've some how manage to reinvent the reality tv wheel.

I also wonder if some of the location scouting for Road To A Million could later be used for B26. It could act as a nice little cover later down the line.

Benny wrote: »

If I were a gambling man, I'd put a bet on this being correct.
    No movie producer is going to spill all the beans, as too how far along they are with a journo at the Bafta's red carpet. A bloke from LadBible get's a massive scoop on one of the biggest film franchises in the world. Probably not.
    Well said, my friends.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited February 2023 Posts: 1,318
    Or... Barbara is merely telling how it is. We'll see, per usual.

@DarthDimi I will keep on voicing/writing what I feel like, regarding this very subject. That's what I'll do 😉
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Or... Barbara is merely telling how it is. We'll see, per usual.
    I think she is telling us how it is.

"No, we haven’t even started casting yet. There isn’t even a script."

The meeting we've heard about was probably just initial discussions to see if he's interested, which isn't necessarily the proper casting process and more than likely won't happen until there is a script and just because there isn't a script right now doesn't mean they're not talking to writers and directors about getting one written.
    Another issue is simply put the entire James Bond franchise is having issues..

In the 90’s and early 2000’s we has Bond novels taking place in the current time. We had bond video games every year. And a new film every other year….

The last bond novel to take place in the current time was Carte Blanche in 2011 the last real game was 2012 (yeah I know about goldeneye but that is a rom emulator port incredibly lazy hack job and no new levels) and the films are being spread apart more and more if it weren’t for the comic books we would have no new bond at all… that is kind of sad
    Look, I say eff it, let Bond go back to Russia. One can imagine what needs to be done there. For once and for all. Bond vs Stierlitz. Or... Bond -vs- a certain president/mob boss.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,093
    November 2025 seems like a reasonable goal right now, problem is if they keep wasting time like this they might end up having to push the film back another year.
    November 2025 seems like a reasonable goal right now, problem is if they keep wasting time like this they might end up having to push the film back another year.

Agree fully, old chap.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Why would they need to push it back?
  • "I cannot imagine Bond after Daniel."
    "Bond is evolving. It's an evolution."
    "A reinvention is underway."
    "The card trick guy will be a class act."

How are they "wasting time"?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,932
    As others have said, 'casting' is a pretty specific term. There's plenty to be worked on before they reach that point. BB neatly undercut the questioning with that answer, but what she said (they don't have a script and they're not in the casting process) needn't mean that EON aren't doing anything Bond 26-related at all.

• Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I hope they're further along than they let on, with being producers of Bond, I'd hope they'd be good at keep their cards close
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Don't have a script = not decided on a script and continue to consider still more.

Not casting = haven't begun actual auditions.

I'm hazarding a guess they are much further along than clickbait articles are suggesting, but likewise I'm also guessing Babs won't spill the beans on anything to manage expectations, and stop the wild speculation about any actor out there being hired.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm hazarding a guess they are much further along than clickbait articles are suggesting, but likewise I'm also guessing Babs won't spill the beans on anything to manage expectations, and stop the wild speculation about any actor out there being hired.

I agree with this. Play it close to the vest, then drop the big news.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,925
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm sorry, are we getting nervous over an article posted on the Internet? Haven't we learned anything from twenty years of clickbait? Can we be a little patient and wait for things to happen, since, well

a) there's nothing we can do to speed things us, so no point in getting worked up over anything;

b) we have over two dozen Bond films to enjoy -- not 6 like M:I, not 10 or so like F&F, not 9 like Star Wars, not a dozen or so like Batman -- but more than TWO dozen Bond films!

And rather than celebrate the gift of such a beautiful series, all the entitled fan wants is the next film, more product (more! more! more!), with anger and despair over an article that suggests, whether true or not, that casting for the 26th (!!) hasn't even begun. I'm glad fans of Avatar were never that obnoxiously impatient or ungrateful. Perhaps it's just me, but when I think 'Bond', I look at a wonderful collection of films, pick one, sit down, have fun; I don't lose my crap over the fact the seat next to NTTD is still empty.

But I guess it's that time again. "Babs has to go!" "Let's send them a petition!" "MI6, can you get me in touch with EON? I have some ideas." Jup, ungrateful fans.

What's wrong with being critical about things that, imo, deserve to be critical about? You have your way of viewing things, fine, dandy. I will have mine. Has nothing to do with being ungrateful. To me it comes across as 'oh... Bond, yes let's be blasé about it, keep the fans waiting for years and years to come'. While Craig checked out ages ago. There never was a plan B when he told Barbara NTTD was really the last one. She was probably hoping he could be seduced for another one. Anyway, it is what it is, but I refuse to believe we should all sit down and shut up.

But at the same time it could just as easily come across as: 'we want to do this right and create something fans and general audiences will appreciate, so we need to take our time.' I mean, I kind of get that sense, as much as I have criticisms with the recent film series.

Anyway, nothing we can do at the end of the day. I wouldn't necessarily say some fans are being ungrateful (to me that's a bit harsh) but ultimately fans have no impact on this creative process or time frame... and if I'm honest, it's probably for the best. Just my opinion though.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I'm sorry, are we getting nervous over an article posted on the Internet? Haven't we learned anything from twenty years of clickbait? Can we be a little patient and wait for things to happen, since, well

a) there's nothing we can do to speed things us, so no point in getting worked up over anything;

b) we have over two dozen Bond films to enjoy -- not 6 like M:I, not 10 or so like F&F, not 9 like Star Wars, not a dozen or so like Batman -- but more than TWO dozen Bond films!

And rather than celebrate the gift of such a beautiful series, all the entitled fan wants is the next film, more product (more! more! more!), with anger and despair over an article that suggests, whether true or not, that casting for the 26th (!!) hasn't even begun. I'm glad fans of Avatar were never that obnoxiously impatient or ungrateful. Perhaps it's just me, but when I think 'Bond', I look at a wonderful collection of films, pick one, sit down, have fun; I don't lose my crap over the fact the seat next to NTTD is still empty.

But I guess it's that time again. "Babs has to go!" "Let's send them a petition!" "MI6, can you get me in touch with EON? I have some ideas." Jup, ungrateful fans.

What's wrong with being critical about things that, imo, deserve to be critical about? You have your way of viewing things, fine, dandy. I will have mine. Has nothing to do with being ungrateful. To me it comes across as 'oh... Bond, yes let's be blasé about it, keep the fans waiting for years and years to come'. While Craig checked out ages ago. There never was a plan B when he told Barbara NTTD was really the last one. She was probably hoping he could be seduced for another one. Anyway, it is what it is, but I refuse to believe we should all sit down and shut up.

But at the same time it could just as easily come across as: 'we want to do this right and create something fans and general audiences will appreciate, so we need to take our time.' I mean, I kind of get that sense, as much as I have criticisms with the recent film series.

Anyway, nothing we can do at the end of the day. I wouldn't necessarily say some fans are being ungrateful (to me that's a bit harsh) but ultimately fans have no impact on this creative process or time frame... and if I'm honest, it's probably for the best. Just my opinion though.

Let me rephrase, I'd like to be alive still when the next Bond premieres.
    Don't have a script = not decided on a script and continue to consider still more.

Not casting = haven't begun actual auditions.

I'd even go further:

Don't have a script=don't have a fully written draft and still in the creation process.
    Not casting=no actor has been cast as of yet. (Although yes, they can't start auditioning until they have a script.)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2023 Posts: 23,558

A bit dramatic, wouldn't you say? ;-) We will get to another film eventually; and, to be frank, I am hoping for a two-year interval between films, like in the old days, just to make sure that the next actor can stay in the role for a number of films.

But I won't lose any sleep over it.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2023 Posts: 2,932
    Play it close to the vest, then drop the big news.
    Yes, that sounds like the EON way to me. Can't blame them either - doing it that way would have a bigger, more concentrated impact than any amount of leaks and grudging admissions.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah I'm recalling how releases played out from 2006.

BOND 21 Fall 2006.
    BOND 22 planned for May 2008(!). Delayed to Fall 2008.
    BOND 23 planned originally for 2010. Delayed to 2012. And so on.

So the best laid plans are still just plans. I do expect the same sort or energized pursuit to put out missions every 2 years to establish a new actor in the Bond role, but we'll see subject to events.

In my work I'm frequently reminded of a Dilbert observation on plans and their worth at times. Sometimes you have to just do it.

500-dilbert-planning.jpg

I have no doubt you will be :)
  • Yeah man @JeremyBondon stop creating panic at seven in the morning. Nobody is taking my job.
  • fadetoblack7fadetoblack7 Chicago IL
    edited February 2023 Posts: 60
    If there truly is no script yet, my guess is they’re probably neck deep in discussions on where they want to take the franchise and what story that want to tell for the next actor. But I’m patient!
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    Who cares? We're fans but I have more important things to worry about in life than ONLY the next Bond movie as much as I'll go to and love seeing it when it inevitably arrives. If you're constantly worrying about seeing the next Bond movie before you pass away then you missed the point. You could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Heck, you could get to 80 years old and still be thinking the same thing. My point is, given Bond's longevity it looks like inevitability is going to meet you headlong and you'll miss "the next Bond movie" anyway, whether it's B26 or B40.

Look, there are many unkind things I could say about this but I'll refrain. Let's just say there are lots of things in life to enjoy apart from something that's clearly not all the way there yet and, even so, there's a lot of Bond media apart from the movies. Some of those are even active right now! In particular, the comics and extended lore books, if Bond is the ONLY tickle of your fancy.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 784
    It would have been easier if the rest of the industry hadn’t been the most creatively stagnant and monotonous it has ever been.