The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

edited April 2021 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,782
I thought the new style voting system would stop neighbors giving top marks to each other. It hasn't. Poor old Blue - UK is still Europe's outcast. Looks like Azerbaijan are going to win it - it's just middle of the road tat. I liked the Hungarian entry but the German entry was hot, wubbish song though.

No Bond wannabes here.

Here's the Hungarian entry.

German hotness here:

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bored out of my skull, i've been watching for the last 10 minutes. We currently have 90 points, which must be about 89 more than we usualy get.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 2,782
    Ha ha ha - the point's presenters have been more entertaining - the Polish girl did drag it out. Seriously who voted for the Italians?

Broke the 100 points barrier - well done Blue.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,882
    And what's with that Latvian bird points-giver, doing what I imagine is some sort of a Marilyn Monroe impersonation.
    I was hoping for a wardrobe malfunction from the Hungarian point's lady - points being an apt word; so hot.

i dont like winner of this year
    song sucked
    IMO best song was bosnian
    is there someone from here that heard macedonian song? if yes i want to know what you mean-we didnt made it into final
    will hil ranked us at last place
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,699
    I was hoping for a wardrobe malfunction from the Hungarian point's lady - points being an apt word; so hot.
    Yes, I was with Graham Norton on the need for her to reveal more. ;)

We did all right this year; I suspect (for right or wrong - probably for wrong) it was down to our act's recognition factor across Europe. But we far from deserved to win. Azerbaijan certainly had a radio-friendly ballad as Norton pointed out, but it was hardly remarkable. And they benefitted greatly from the usual political voting. Yet, I've nothing against former Soviet countries getting the chance to host a party like Eurovision and show off - let's be honest, their populations had little really to celebrate and be proud of for so many years.

Glad Jedward did barely better than us in the end, must say - pair of little ****. The Danish entry wasn't bad, mind, while the Italian one was actually quite good. And I rather liked the first one - by Finland, I think? - because I'm getting old and in need of a pipe and slippers, no doubt.

Oh, and by the way (shameless plug alert!)...

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2011/05/10/made-my-mind-up-eurovisions-top-10-tunes/
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    edited May 2011 Posts: 987
    Interesting to note that our very own David Arnold was one of the United Kingdom National judging panel.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Indeed @saunders. That gave me some kind of hope!

100 points though, very good I thought - and on the left hand side of the scoreboard.
    I wanted the gnomes to win. ^:)^

But really that show is where my wife and me part ways for an evening. I'd rather watch a Timothy Dalton movie than watch that bloody contest.
    ^ who are the gnomes?
    and dalton is great actor,every movie with him is good just cause he is in it :)
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,699
    I wanted the gnomes to win. ^:)^
    The gnomes were the Moldovan entry - this year's there-always-has-to-be absurd effort.
    But really that show is where my wife and me part ways for an evening. I'd rather watch a Timothy Dalton movie than watch that bloody contest.
    Hmmm, interesting. Seems either I don't mind Eurovision enough or mind Dalton's Bond too much to go down that route... ;)
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 5,772
    The scream you heard from France was Marie Myriam who is distraught at the prospect of have=ing to endure another year of being touted as the last french singer to have won the contest (which technically is not true, given that that honour goes to Corinne Hermes, who won for Luxemburg). Once again, journalists are lamenting the fact that France hasn't won since 1977. But really, what are they whining about? Of the fourteen french songs that have won, ten have been sung by french singers, and France itself has scored five winners, including, IMHO and YMMV, the absolute best song ever to win ("Un Jour, Un Enfant, by Frida Boccara in 1969. Second best is Eimear Quinn's "The Voice, BTW). Still, I find it funny that the french song was considered a favourite before the contest, and ended up at 15th in the final vote.

I must admit that this year, I didn't follow it (Hawaii Five-0 was on another channel, and since BSG, I have a crush on Grace Park). But I do admit that the Moldovan entry was the kitschiest. I don't mind regional costumes, but the unicycle? As for the winner: Very 80s, not in a bad way but still bland. Where was Lordi when we needed them?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    As much as UK is a Eurovision outcast, the rest of Europe still recognise English as the language of rock and pop, singing in English for the most part.

And every single act would love to break through in the UK, more than anywhere else. After USA we remain the major market for world pop.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Didn't watch it, but I've got a few questions:

How was Italy?
    How was San Marino?
    How was Belgium?
    Was the Azerbaijan song a deserved winner?

Thanks.
    I'll answer those for you - Italy - Ronnie Scotts' pastiche.

San Marino - Belgium I don't know if they were involved in the main event - if they were they were forgettable.

The Azer's was a cliched ballad - so your choice really - you love that sort of thing or you don't.

I personally loved the Hungarian, Spanish and Moldavian entry.

And the Hungarian presenters big melons.

France rightly didn't win, despite being the favourite for some reason, because the song (with its very dull melody and its rather shameless Les Mis-esque performance) was nowhere near as good as the singer's voice. It got found out on the night quite spectacularly, it seems. Still, with a voice as good as his, I doubt the young singer will struggle too much for decent work - must've been a good advertisement for his talents...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    France rightly didn't win, despite being the favourite for some reason, because the song (with its very dull melody and its rather shameless Les Mis-esque performance) was nowhere near as good as the singer's voice. It got found out on the night quite spectacularly, it seems. Still, with a voice as good as his, I doubt the young singer will struggle too much for decent work - must've been a good advertisement for his talents...
    Also, as my wife simply had to point out, he was pretty hot. I think she was getting her own back on me for several PHWOOARRS at various ladies during the evening.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,261
    Wow, I never ever thought we would have an ESC thread at MI6 Forums :>
    For the record, my own Germany did quite alright (at least we topped off Blue and the UK), but then I never thought it to be a clever idea to have lovely Lena defend her title. Worst entries IMHO were Greece :-(( #-O ~X( and the wannabee Miley Cyrus from Estonia. Azerbaijan just won because they actually got votes from practicaqlly every country apart from Armenia...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DoctorKaufmann !! :-bd
    Azerbaijan just won because they actually got votes from practicaqlly every country apart from Armenia...
    Yes, there's no question Azerbaijan benefitted from all the tactical voting that tends to plague that contest nowadays - however, even without it they would have done pretty well. Maybe not win, admittedly. Which would have meant that second-placed Italy (which surely benefitted from no major friendly voting apart from San Marino) would've won. Which shows just how well they randomly did.

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that other nations who've won the thing in recent years probably wouldn't had tactical voting not come into play (Russia, Serbia, Ukraine and Estonia)...
    [quote]Wow, I never ever thought we would have an ESC thread at MI6 Forums :>
    [/quote]

Well, The ESC has been loinked to Bond on at least two occasions. First, Isabelle Aubret sang the french version of "Do You Know How Christmas Trees Are Grown" on the french dub of OHMSS. And second... Well, one name will be enough: Lulu. Any other hopefuls (because that's all the winners I can think of) have been linked to Bond before or after they entered the contest?

And the Hungarian presenters big melons.
    I hadn't realised that they had included a gardening section.

This year's contest is just around the corner :D
    Any favorites?

I'm pretty sure Sweden will win this time... :)
    Let's hope so. Last year we finished third so now is the time for us to win. Go Loreen!
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 5,772
    Here's is Angunn for France

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igoQtX-ht0

Don't see it winning. Everything is possible, but frankly, I'm pessimistic.
    Both of these songs is in my Top 10..
    "Echo" is something i haven't heard before. Pretty original and I love it :)

"Euphoria" is pure art. Stockholm 2013
    oh no! Is it Eurovision again already? %-(
    Semifinal 2 tonight, anybody gonna watch?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I dread to think where the UK will finish this year.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I dread to think where the UK will finish this year.

Don't worry too much samuel? I won't! ;) lol