Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Big if true

Nathan is clearly joking here but still pretty funny
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    Big if true

Nathan is clearly joking here but still pretty funny

I got excited there for a second
    He's hardly ever mentioned here (and when he is it's usually by me), but if we're talking about potential candidates appearing in newly dropped trailers, here is Ben Aldridge with one of the main roles in M. Night Shyamalan's new movie Knock at the Cabin:

I first saw him in Fleabag. He can do comedy well, and it looks like he gets a chance to show off his acting chops in this movie. It's also interesting that someone just brought up Enola Holmes 2. The man that made both Enola Holmes movies is English director Harry Bradbeer, who also directed Fleabag and Killing Eve. I think Aldridge/Bradbeer/Waller-Bridge could be a good trio for a more fun, escapist, humorous Bond.

I don't know Aldridge much, but I think he might have a chance, if audition starts very soon. Otherwise he might end up too old.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    All’s quiet on the western front; there haven’t been any rumors lately. I would love to be a fly on the wall in the offices of EON . I wonder if the process is being documented.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,341
    Here's some new rumours etc.
    Next James Bond: New favourite emerges to replace Daniel Craig
    https://www.gbnews.uk/entertainment/next-james-bond-new-favourite-emerges-to-replace-daniel-craig/433577

Next James Bond announcement – Unveiling of new 007 rumoured to be in just a few weeks
    https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1727556/Next-James-Bond-announcement-new-007-Aaron-Taylor-Johnson
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't know Aldridge much, but I think he might have a chance, if audition starts very soon. Otherwise he might end up too old.
    Right. I very much like Aldridge, but I think he's too old for the vision of Bond they have in mind. I hope I'm wrong though, because he would be a great contender.
    the-many-deaths-of-thomas-wayne-1666881189.jpg
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,834
    Aldridge could be a good Tanner? If they think he's too old for Bond. A small role but still.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Aldridge could be a good Tanner? If they think he's too old for Bond. A small role but still.
    I thought about him in the role too! Could be great, even though he's Bond material.
  • AmericanBondFan1994AmericanBondFan1994 Milford, Michigan
    The two actors I most likely sense will probably be cast is Sope Dirisu or Paul Mescal, Just speculating due to where they are in their careers right now and the kind of strong charismatic actors they are but who knows it could still be ATJ.
  • Ben Aldridge is 37, the exact same age DC was when he was announced...
    Whomever. The producers have had plenty of time to think about a new Bond. NTTD wrapped filming October 25, 2019.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    Whomever. The producers have had plenty of time to think about a new Bond. NTTD wrapped filming October 25, 2019.

With DC about to begin an aggressive new era, as well as other franchises , they better not drag their feet.
  • redherringredherring Netherlands
    edited February 2023 Posts: 15
    Venutius wrote: »
    Sigourney Weaver and Jennifer Ehle do good English accents - but they're half-English, so they've got a head start, I guess!

Robin Wright grew up with a British step-father, which contributed to her British accent in the Princess Bride.
    @JeremyBondon

I am curious as to what you liked about Austin Butler besides his looks. His Elvis performance (non-musical scenes) didn’t merit any awards in my book. I found the film unwatchable partly because of him.

Priscilla says Austin's performance was eerily like the real king.

Anyway I'm still holding out for Nic Hoult or Dev Patel. According to a Dutch gossip site (so total blind item) the new Bond has already signed his name on the dotted line...
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 14,799
    I don't know where they get that from, but I hope they're wrong, as James Norton is so far the blandest actor I've seen among the Bond contenders: https://www.gbnews.uk/entertainment/next-james-bond-new-favourite-emerges-to-replace-daniel-craig/433577
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I really hope the James Norton rumours are false. He's by far the blandest of all names mentioned. I hope it's just a media name thrown in for good measure, without actually holding any merit.
    If chosen, I'd of course, give him a chance to prove himself. But I wouldn't be looking forward to the experience.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    He is good in Happy Valley to be fair.
    Will the new Bond be in the mold of SC or RM? For me that's how it always breaks down. Dark, cruel good looks, grittier, and tough. Or lighter, more refined, lacking the inherent danger projected by SC. I like Norton as an actor, but would prefer to see him in a secondary role.
    Norton would be another Brosnan which is to say not bad but definitely not great….

Again I am still holding out for a midnight casting of Hardy or Fassbender but since both are too old I can stomach an actor like Hoult joining as he is younger then me but weirdly feels older then me when I watch him in stuff… if that makes sense
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    Will the new Bond be in the mold of SC or RM? For me that's how it always breaks down. Dark, cruel good looks, grittier, and tough. Or lighter, more refined, lacking the inherent danger projected by SC. I like Norton as an actor, but would prefer to see him in a secondary role.

I think there'll be a desire to contrast the new Bond with Craig who fits more into that first archetype. And if we're going back to more fantastical adventures, a lighter Bond would make sense. I don't think he'll be as soft as Roger though. Craig set a new precedent for the physical side of the character that they'll probably have to maintain.

I think there'll be a desire to contrast the new Bond with Craig who fits more into that first archetype. And if we're going back to more fantastical adventures, a lighter Bond would make sense. I don't think he'll be as soft as Roger though. Craig set a new precedent for the physical side of the character that they'll probably have to maintain.

I don't think any actor will approach Bond like this - that's to say I don't think they'll consciously try to go more 'Connery' or 'Moore', or even a Brosnan-esque mix of the two. Usually Bond actors tend to incorporate their own strengths to their performances as well as their idiosyncrasies.

It's also arguably a bit simplified in regards to those two Bonds. Moore had his dark moments as the character that I'd argue were more impactful than a lot of Connery's scenes (there are a few scenes in TMWTGG especially that I think showcase this). At the same time Connery's entire take on Bond was arguably a more tongue in cheek and somewhat ironic portrayal of Fleming's character. It's impossible to say what we'll get from the next Bond actor in this regard.
  • Didn't they mention an "emotional Bond"? Whatever that means.
    Didn't they mention an "emotional Bond"? Whatever that means.

An emotional Bond sounds a lot like Brosnan's bizarre soap opera style acting from TWINE to me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2023 Posts: 14,861
    007HallY wrote: »

I don't think any actor will approach Bond like this - that's to say I don't think they'll consciously try to go more 'Connery' or 'Moore', or even a Brosnan-esque mix of the two. Usually Bond actors tend to incorporate their own strengths to their performances as well as their idiosyncrasies.

It's also arguably a bit simplified in regards to those two Bonds. Moore had his dark moments as the character that I'd argue were more impactful than a lot of Connery's scenes (there are a few scenes in TMWTGG especially that I think showcase this). At the same time Connery's entire take on Bond was arguably a more tongue in cheek and somewhat ironic portrayal of Fleming's character. It's impossible to say what we'll get from the next Bond actor in this regard.

Yes I'm often struck that, contrary to how they're often described, Connery's version is actually more cartoonish and lightweight than Moore's is, even if he gets to be a bit more ruthless occasionally. It's all relative as neither are exactly deep, but Sean's Bond is a walking quip/kiss/kill machine whereas Moore's gets to display some warmth and kindness and sometimes even an emotional response. Connery was such an excellent actor that he lends it the illusion of being a more interesting character, but really he's winking at the audience most of the time anyway.
  • edited February 2023 Posts: 2,747
    mtm wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »

Yes I'm often struck that, contrary to how they're often described, Connery's version is actually more cartoonish and lightweight than Moore's is, even if he gets to be a bit more ruthless occasionally. It's all relative as neither are exactly deep, but Sean's Bond is a walking quip/kiss/kill machine whereas Moore's gets to display some warmth and kindness and sometimes even an emotional response. Connery was such an excellent actor that he lends it the illusion of being a more interesting character, but really he's winking at the audience most of the time anyway.

I think it's interesting that Connery's reputation as Bond amongst modern fans is that he was the 'dark and serious' one, more akin to the literary character. In truth even Connery himself admitted that he approached the role in a way that was consciously making fun of the entire thing. It's not a bad thing, in fact that 'wink at the audience' factor is actually quite integral to the cinematic version of Bond. But I definitely agree, I think Moore brought a lot of humanity to the role which is overlooked I feel, especially with how the character has been portrayed subsequently.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Hoping the Norton rumours are false, nothing against the guy, but it's a vanilla choice.

I'm hoping they don't go down the camp/fantastical route for the next era. They proved during Daniel's tenure it doesn't work as well as it used to with Bond and also Purvis and Wade can't balance the tone, like say Mission Impossible have in recent years.

With the casting of Daniel in 2005, they've got better at attracting talented actors to the series, and just as importantly, talented people behind the camera. If they went back to camp, winking at the audience humour, I think talented people would turn them down

Most importantly they need to map out the plan for era, rather write the next film in response to the reception of the last film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'll be in the minority here but I'm happy to hear that news. I'd love to see the entire MI6 team scaled back to some lesser known actors and their appearances limited much more than they were during the latter half of the Craig era.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'll be in the minority here but I'm happy to hear that news. I'd love to see the entire MI6 team scaled back to some lesser known actors and their appearances limited much more than they were during the latter half of the Craig era.
    Agree 100%
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    As much as I love Whishaw as Q, a clean slate is for the best, espicially given the ending of NTTD.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited February 2023 Posts: 1,282
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    As much as I love Whishaw as Q, a clean slate is for the best, espicially given the ending of NTTD.

Exactly. Maybe they forgot about the MI6 team and how they help settle in the next actor, when they were filming Craig's Bond death. But sadly, it needs a fresh start.