Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    To be honest @NeverSayNeverAgain, you raise a conflicting point though, could Jack be James Bond if he's committed to Slow Horses with two more seasons already confirmed after this.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Callum Turner is most definitely not Bond material. Just like that other Turner -- and for the record: I have no personal beef with the Turner name or anything ;-) -- he comes off as dull to me. Both are capable actors, but they lack the "oomph" I'm looking for in Bond.

These Turners are to acting what John Turner was to Canadian politics: promising on paper, but in the end disappointing.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2023 Posts: 7,980
    Having just finished Slow Horses Season 2 - I still think Jack Lowden is great. When he speaks with his natural accent he is also the spit of Connery. Given his character in Slow Horses is more of an incompetent, it’s played with some comic effect. But, I could really see him pulling it off with the right script, bulking up a good bit and some Terence Young inspired tailoring.

jack-lowden-arrives-for-the-premiere-of-slow-horses-at-regent-street-cinema-central-london-picture-date-wednesday-march-30-2022-2J27WJD.jpg

One of my top candidates.
    oSHS5oF.jpg

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,956
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm surprised FilmUpdates are only tweeting this today...

I believe there has been a new, separate story about him meeting them. Which does sound more plausible.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    To be honest @NeverSayNeverAgain, you raise a conflicting point though, could Jack be James Bond if he's committed to Slow Horses with two more seasons already confirmed after this.

I can't quite follow their schedule though: from the trailer it looks like the next series is in the can anyway.
    I think he's a possible, and a good actor, but I don't know if I believe he's quite got a 007 in him. Maybe.

Funny thing: I just watched the last episode of this series and I notice it was set in 2016. That's three years after when the book came out so I'm not sure why, but interesting choice nevertheless.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anyone got a link to the new, separate story about ATJ? I just keep seeing the article from The Sun referenced.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the new, separate story about ATJ? I just keep seeing the article from The Sun referenced.

Exactly, the journalistic/ tabloid echo chamber.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,956
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It comes from that 'The Puck' website which is linked to in the tweet above, but I must admit I've not heard of the puck before.
    This is a piece reporting on what it says (the original is paywalled)
    https://www.unilad.com/film-and-tv/james-bond-more-sensitive-new-movie-20220923

This is what it says:
    Per agency sources, a few big-get roles up for grabs in 2023:

• Ridley Scott is looking for the key actors in Gladiator 2.
    • If Disney figures out its Pirates of the Caribbean situation, those roles will be hot.
    • Same with Paramount and the Bee Gees movie. Hustlers’ Lorene Scafaria just stepped in as director, and she’s seeking Gibb brothers that don’t play like the SNL sketch.
    • Agents are salivating over Marvel’s Fantastic Four, which is complicated by all the multiverse stuff. And the ongoing DC reset should bring big opportunities for new men in tights, especially someone to replace Henry Cavill as Superman.
    • And, obviously, the granddaddy of casting coups: James Bond. The Aaron Taylor-Johnson rumors are true—he sat with producer Barbara Broccoli, and the meeting went well, per sources. But while Taylor-Johnson fits the bill—great actor, British, fits the younger direction the Broccolis want to go, accomplished but not particularly famous—he’s about to be a much bigger star. If Sony’s Spider-Man spinoff Kraven the Hunter or Universal’s Ryan Gosling two-hander The Fall Guy works, Taylor-Johnson might end up, ironically, too famous to take on Bond.

( I used this handy paywall remover!)
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    I’d be on board with ATJ.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 7,980
    His voice, I just can’t get past it. He has the voice of a prepubescent boy.

Compare to this. ( yes, I know , the accent…)

Or…

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Callum Turner is most definitely not Bond material. Just like that other Turner -- and for the record: I have no personal beef with the Turner name or anything ;-) -- he comes off as dull to me. Both are capable actors, but they lack the "oomph" I'm looking for in Bond.

These Turners are to acting what John Turner was to Canadian politics: promising on paper, but in the end disappointing.

That made me laugh, @Ludovico! :-D
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Me pretending I'm not a Turner...

AmazingPeskyCottontail-max-1mb.gif
  • Aaron Taylor-Johnson + Christopher Nolan's magic = potentially the greatest Bond movie ever.
  • mtm wrote: »
    It comes from that 'The Puck' website which is linked to in the tweet above, but I must admit I've not heard of the puck before.
    I only know this website for political and foreign affairs articles, and had no idea they were also writing about Hollywood and entertainment. So, while I don't know how much we can trust them for these topics, their articles oriented towards global issues are generally serious and documented - even though it's hard to judge their credibility regarding Hollywood based on that since the writers are not the same. However, The Puck's article about Bond is itself very careful about how probable ATJ could have the role.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Apparently their film writer is the ex-editor of the Hollywood Reporter, so not bad provenance.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    When they said three year gaps between movies, I didn't expect there to be one after NTTD, but maybe!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    AFAIK, Puck has solid insider knowledge of Hollywood but that still reads very „sources say that sources say“ to me. And even if I don’t know their process, there’s a long way between a meeting and casting him. One would assume a meeting comes before a screentest. Plus there’s always the possibility BB is pissed about this getting leaked and kills his chances just for that.

Concerning Lowden: So far, the mode of shooting Slow Horses has been shooting 2 seasons back to back. So, given that we got a teaser for 3, the next two seasons should be either done shooting or close to it. The general comments by cast and crew have been that it is a very enjoyable experience because it’s usually in and around London and by shooting two 6-episode seasons in one, they get a lot done quickly.
    Gary Oldman has said he’ll play Lamb as long as they let him. There are 8 or 9 books by now and I have no idea if the author wants to keep them going at the current clip. They could keep this up for quite a while, if Apple wants to keep paying (which is a big if, because streamers have severely reduced the amount of returning series. It’s easier to market something new to binge rather than Season 8 of whatever). So Lowden could probably do both. The question is whether we (and Eon) want him to play Bond and a kind of useless agent who sometimes thinks he’s in a Bond film at the same time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson; Aidan Turner; Jack Lowden - I'm liking these three. Lowden in particular gives off a bit of a bad-boy vibe, I can't explain why - but I like that characteristic in Bond, and Connery had a lot of that.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm just really happy we have things to discuss now and have really enjoyed seeing interest generally on Twitter and so on regarding the potential casting. I think that while the Craig era was successful, a refresh was due and this is all just so exciting.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 784
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson + Christopher Nolan's magic = potentially the greatest Bond movie ever.

ATJ is good enough of an actor to let the camera linger on him. Which isn’t a trademark of Nolan’s films.

If he is modest with his facial expressions, and uses subtle micro movements instead of hardcore nu-salesman alpha boast mannerisms he’ll be good.

He does aesthetically fit the times more than most candidates.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson + Christopher Nolan's magic = potentially the greatest Bond movie ever.

ATJ is good enough of an actor to let the camera linger on him. Which isn’t a trademark of Nolan’s films.

If he is modest with his facial expressions, and uses micro movements instead of hardcore nu-salesman alpha boast he’ll be good.

He does fit the times more than other candidates.

That's a matter of opinion.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 2,897
    I mean, it makes sense that ATJ would have a meeting or a dinner with the producers. He’s literally had his name thrown around for the last month about this role. Even if this meeting was just to break the ice and say ‘we’ve not made any decisions yet’ (ie. letting him know he’s not out of contention but isn’t a sure bet) or even just how to answer reporters when asked about it it wouldn’t surprise me. They do seem to know each other after all.
    Benny wrote: »

If he is modest with his facial expressions, and uses micro movements instead of hardcore nu-salesman alpha boast he’ll be good.

He does fit the times more than other candidates.

That's a matter of opinion.

Idk, he more than anyone else reminds me of an internet YouTube reddit millennial (fuccboi/incel generation). Most others look like period actors in comparison, albeit more down to earth.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    If he does end up being cast, I wonder if they'd announce it before Kraven The Hunter or after because you know that's all he's gonna be asked about during the press run.
    More actors should put their name in the rumour mill to boost their publicity. Especially if they have films coming up.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,876
    We just have to wait till March
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    ATJ as James Bond wouldn't hurt me. There's something I was thinking the other day, concerning his voice....which fans see as his Achilles' heel. Craig played Bond as the old dog in his last three films, so if ATJ sounds like that, wouldn't that sound like a younger Bond and refreshing? Since they want to go younger. I don't know...just a thought though.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 2,897
    The voice thing really isn’t a big deal in itself. What matters is the actor’s ability to adapt their voices to the role and how expressive they are in terms of tone. Some of the best actors of all time actually had quite high pitched, even nasal voices but could mould them to their characters (ie. Marlon Brando, Young Al Pacino).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,869
    Isn't the whole gunbarrel announcement in March a separate rumour? So even if that doesn't happen ATJ is still in with a chance of being cast.
    007HallY wrote: »
    The voice thing really isn’t a big deal in itself. What matters is the actor’s ability to adapt their voices to the role and how expressive they are in terms of tone. Some of the best actors of all time actually had quite high pitched, even nasal voices but could mould them to their characters (ie. Marlon Brando, Young Al Pacino).
    100% @007HallY
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What's the gunbarrel announcement rumor?
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    007HallY wrote: »

Yeah. I agree.