Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

I don't think so. I've had bronchitis every winter since a long time. For me, it's a seasonal illness, nothing more, and I had it before all the mask mandates or the vaccines. So, I'll have to suffer, just like I did before.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Two years of social distancing and mask wearing has reduced all our immune systems so even the common cold is now easier to catch
    Quite the contrary. Whatever one thinks of the Covid-19 rules, the wearing of masks has led to the usual flu season being virtually eliminated. But there is no indication that that has effected our immune systems as such, and it is preposterous to think it would do that within such a short period of time.

If you keep following the suggestions (there are no real rules any more), you have a better chance of not catching any infection whatsoever. Ever since this has been relaxed (and I'm all in favour of that in the present situation), of course the "normal" infections are back on the rise. But not because of a lack of acual immunity generated by the crisis, but because of not wearing protective equipment in daily business/contacts.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,526
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Two years of social distancing and mask wearing has reduced all our immune systems so even the common cold is now easier to catch
    Quite the contrary. Whatever one thinks of the Covid-19 rules, the wearing of masks has led to the usual flu season being virtually eliminated. But there is no indication that that has effected our immune systems as such, and it is preposterous to think it would do that within such a short period of time.

If you keep following the suggestions (there are no real rules any more), you have a better chance of not catching any infection whatsoever. Ever since this has been relaxed (and I'm all in favour of that in the present situation), of course the "normal" infections are back on the rise. But not because of a lack of acual immunity generated by the crisis, but because of not wearing protective equipment in daily business/contacts.

Logic and reason are useless in certain discussions, unfortunately.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Hey, @NickTwentyTwo, I thought you retired for a while...as much as I appreciate your opinion.
    Hey, @NickTwentyTwo, I thought you retired for a while...as much as I appreciate your opinion.

I have… I just need one more thing…

But seriously, i am. And getting sucked into nonsense is why. Life has been rocking me around, I’ll be back when I’m in a less angry place.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2022 Posts: 17,782
    Sadly what I thought was flu-like symptoms has now been confirmed as Covid after a positive test. This is the first time that I've had it. Not feeling too bad at the minute but that could change. Dragonpol is on the Paracetamol.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Sadly what I thought was flu-like symptoms has now been confirmed as Covid after a positive test. This is the first time that I've had it. Not feeling too bad at the minute but that could change. Dragonpol is on the Paracetamol.

At least you haven't tried injecting Chlorox. All the best for a rapid total recovery!

At least you haven't tried injecting Chlorox. All the best for a rapid total recovery!

No, I think that would be counterproductive though I've heard some swear by it. I think I'll just stick to the paracetamol. Thanks for your good wishes. I suppose it gets to almost everyone in the end.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

No, I think that would be counterproductive though I've heard some swear by it. I think I'll just stick to the paracetamol. Thanks for your good wishes. I suppose it gets to almost everyone in the end.

Get well soon, Dragonpol! Paracetamol will likely help you best. There is no miracle cure yet. Patience, friend. It will pass.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 8,676
    I suppose it gets to almost everyone in the end.
    Yes, my wife and I are about the last persons we know that never caught the virus, although most of the others were infected recently (by the omicran variant) and got through it quite well.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Get well soon, Dragonpol! Paracetamol will likely help you best. There is no miracle cure yet. Patience, friend. It will pass.

Thanks, @DarthDimi. I don't feel too bad at the minute and actually felt worse over the previous two days when I first exhibited mild flu-like symptoms. Either the paracetamol is working or it's slowly working its way out of my system. I'm taking the rest of the week off work in the office (but can work from home) and will retest at the end of the week to see if I get a negative test result.

Yes, my wife and I are about the last persons we know that never caught the virus, although most of the others were infected recently (by the omicran variant) and got through it quite well.

Yes, I've heard virologists say that viruses tend to run out of puff and potency the longer they go on but then there are the variants to contend with as well. I suppose the ending of the law on mask wearing being compulsory in shops and other buildings in the UK regions has probably made the virus more transmissible again so it is very hard to avoid now. I hope you and your wife can continue to keep Covid at bay.
    I hope you and your wife can continue to keep Covid at bay.
    Thank you, and all the best to you for the time being.

I hope you and your wife can continue to keep Covid at bay.
    Thank you, and all the best to you for the time being.

Thank you. It's much appreciated. :)

Thanks, @DarthDimi. I don't feel too bad at the minute and actually felt worse over the previous two days when I first exhibited mild flu-like symptoms. Either the paracetamol is working or it's slowly working its way out of my system. I'm taking the rest of the week off work in the office (but can work from home) and will retest at the end of the week to see if I get a negative test result.

Yes, I've heard virologists say that viruses tend to run out of puff and potency the longer they go on but then there are the variants to contend with as well. I suppose the ending of the law on mask wearing being compulsory in shops and other buildings in the UK regions has probably made the virus more transmissible again so it is very hard to avoid now. I hope you and your wife can continue to keep Covid at bay.

I regret that these measures have come to an end. Masks were slightly annoying at worst, but they proved very effective in stopping these runaway transmissions. I'd fully support wearing masks during each flu season, at least in schools, crowded places, ...
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,921
    Same. I still put one on in crowded shops, on trains, etc. I had flu (actual flu, not the bad cold that most people mistake it for) this time in 2003 and it's still the illest I've ever been. No one who's had flu would ever confuse it with a bad cold again, put it that way. Never want to go through that again. I probably wouldn't survive it, if I did - I got that suspiciously covid-like 'pre-covid' virus that was going around in late 2019 and not only was that nearly as bad, it left me with permanent heart damage. If a little mask can keep more of this stuff at bay, well...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Who is stopping you?
    Venutius wrote: »
    Same. I still put one on in crowded shops, on trains, etc. I had flu (actual flu, not the bad cold that most people mistake it for) this time in 2003 and it's still the illest I've ever been. No one who's had flu would ever confuse it with a bad cold again, put it that way. Never want to go through that again. I probably wouldn't survive it, if I did - I got that suspiciously covid-like 'pre-covid' virus that was going around in late 2019 and not only was that nearly as bad, it left me with permanent heart damage. If a little mask can keep more of this stuff at bay, well...

Exactly. But then we'll have the complainers shout about their precious freedom, about governments taking control, about fascist measures, about QAnon being right about a global conspiracy, ...

It's a simple sheet of paper, thinner than a scarf, but very effective, as proven in recent times.
    Who is stopping you?

No one, but it works both ways. Everybody is safer if we all wear masks during the flu season.
    Who is stopping you?

It's perhaps not who so much as what. Self-consciousness and anxiety about what other people think are the main factors, most probably. This is especially true in the current climate where most Covid laws have changed to guidance only and when very few people now wear masks in shops and other buildings. Though it can never be fully quantified, worry about how other people will perceive us has a chilling effect on a lot of things.
    Extreme OCD is a b*tch. It’s only gotten worse with age for me. I find myself lately wasting hours organizing my movie collection, and getting rid of or replacing anything possible to make it look even the littlest bit neater.
    Let’s see first I had the flu from Black Friday till my bday then COVID

Can I just not be sick for a while please
    Risico007 wrote: »

Same for my son. Coughing for close to 15 weeks now. I am afraid the quack covid jabs he felt compelled to take have compromised his immune system.
    Risico007 wrote: »

Same for my son. Coughing for close to 15 weeks now. I am afraid the quack covid jabs he felt compelled to take have compromised his immune system.

I wish your son a quick recovery, @Thunderfinger.
    Thanks a lot.
    Thanks a lot.

How old is the lad?
    Thanks a lot.

How old is the lad?

He is adult, turning 24 later this month.He is no longer very sick, its just the damn cough that wont yield, as if he has gotten something chronic. I dont worry too much, but its getting tiring and the concern lingers. if it doesnt stop soon, I will take a day off from work to chase him to the doctor again and insist they check him thoroughly.
    I'm similar, when I get sick, the cough lasts forever. Very annoying.
    Thanks a lot.

How old is the lad?

He is adult, turning 24 later this month.He is no longer very sick, its just the damn cough that wont yield, as if he has gotten something chronic. I dont worry too much, but its getting tiring and the concern lingers. if it doesnt stop soon, I will take a day off from work to chase him to the doctor again and insist they check him thoroughly.

Coughs can last a long time. I had one last summer, plaguing me for nearly two months.

All the best to your son, Thundy!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's just the season, our 4y/o managed to go to school 1 day in about six, seven weeks. Got ill 3 times in a row. Now he's finally back on his feet, my wife got ill.
    Thanks a lot.

How old is the lad?

I had that after Covid for about four months. Covid itself didn't do too much, just a few days, but I'd had my shots.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 45,489
    I am still glad i didnt for my own sake. I eat lime every day instead.
    In other news my 26 year old niece who has always been healthy and the sporting type, has had fainting spells since she got her jabs last year. It cost her her job and her drivers licence. Now she is hospitalised with a deteriorating jawbone, something that prevents her from getting nutrition the natural way. No doctor has said there is a connection yet, but that s not strange. Those bastards just do as they re told by the so called authorities.

Mod edit: offensive picture removed to keep the integrity of the forum safe.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2022 Posts: 7,965
    I am still glad i didnt for my own sake. I eat lime every day instead.
    In other news my 26 year old niece who has always been healthy and the sporting type, has had fainting spells since she got her jabs last year. It cost her her job and her drivers licence. Now she is hospitalised with a deteriorating jawbone, something that prevents her from getting nutrition the natural way. No doctor has said there is a connection yet, but that s not strange. Those bastards just do as they re told by the so called authorities.

Mod edit: offensive picture removed to keep the integrity of the forum safe.

Well I don't know about Norwegian doctors, but here in the flatlands doctors usually don't do as they're told by any government. I work for our government as a consutant and can tell you they're way too incompetent to even start dictating anything at all. Our minister of health was most likely on cocaine anyway. The problem with all these conspiracies is that they think governments are run by smart people. They're not. They're run by half-witted idiots who couldn't get a proper job in a commercial company.