The Petrolhead Lounge

Comments

• 007InAction007InAction Australia
    MotorTrend's 2023 Car of the Year

I don't like the headlights.... Anyone like them ?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    MotorTrend's 2023 Car of the Year

I don't like the headlights.... Anyone like them ?

Obnoxious car really. Big and ugly. The giant, horribly oversized and badly designed grille is the metaphor for the entire car. Not for me.
    edited December 2022 Posts: 2,350
    2023 Toyota GR Corolla

Ugly car... and 10 years too late with that powertrain ?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    So many ugly cars, how about posting what you think are the most beautiful cars of 2022 (i.e. production started in 2022, no concepts)? Let me start.

42329991_NimbusGrey.png.bde10cf3e89f95ef35c2f21b95a73777.png
    Lotus Emira in Nimbus Grey, perfect proportions, beautiful to look at (and check out the recent Harry's Garage videos).

And I do have a soft spot for the more affordable Ora Funky Cat. It does steal design elements from other cars, but the final product is easy to look at.
    Ora-Cat-2021-4.jpg

edited December 2022 Posts: 2,350
    zebrafish wrote: »
    So many ugly cars, how about posting what you think are the most beautiful cars of 2022 (i.e. production started in 2022, no concepts)? Let me start.

Lotus Emira in Nimbus Grey, perfect proportions, beautiful to look at (and check out the recent Harry's Garage videos).

And I do have a soft spot for the more affordable Ora Funky Cat. It does steal design elements from other cars, but the final product is easy to look at.
    Ora-Cat-2021-4.jpg

Can i post my electric lawn mower ? :))

Works great. :)>-
    The Funky Cat looks better than the Lotus.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I love the Emira, it’s so perfectly proportioned. I really want one :D
    I really want a Funky Cat.
    EV's rule 👍
  • edited December 2022 Posts: 6,677
    Oh, cmon, that Lotus is perfect in every way. One of the few cars in the market today that I'd have in a heartbeat, if I could ;)

And EV's suck...for now. I'm just waiting for Jaguar to electrify themselves. Then I'll change my narrative, for sure.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    news19-1.jpg
    That doesn't count because it's a suv....... :))
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ?
    mtm wrote: »
    news19-1.jpg

Yes, well, I was referring to their supposed new design shift and total electrification of the fleet ;)

And yes, as @007InAction said, that doesn't count, it's a bloody suv. And I hate suvs :) But I do understand their role in saving car brands from obliteration, even though recent numbers say they didn't do much for Jaguar.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited December 2022 Posts: 14,920

Yes, they are fish. A whale shark, that one you posted :) Not ugly, btw, by suv standards. One of the best looking, I'd say. Still, a sports utility vehicle. And, as such, fish.

And:

Still, I have hope. Loads of it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Univex wrote: »

Yes, they are fish. A whale shark, that one you posted :)

The beautiful iPace? Yes it is a sleek-looking shark, I agree :)

Yes, they are fish. A whale shark, that one you posted :)

The beautiful iPace? Yes it is a sleek-looking shark, I agree :)

I have this tendency to see car shapes as animals. I suppose car designers do too. And sharks win most of the time. Well, fish. E types, 250 swb or gto, d types, some Astons, all a bit sharky, IMO. Always love them. Even my less magnificent, but fun, Mx5-nd in dark grey seems a bit like a shark, I think. And your BMW does to, in a way, with those sort of gills on the sides. I can't wait to see what they come up with, design wise, with this new gen of Jags :)

Yes, SUVs aren't cars are they. They're... fish?

Fish??? I protest!

Yes, SUVs aren't cars are they. They're... fish?

Fish??? I protest!

lol. Just Zebras then ;) No zebrafishes in the automotive industry.
    A fish-friend of mine once modelled for Mercedes. Sadly, the model did not go into production. Here they are, next to each other:
    703_bionic_car_01.jpg
    A fish-friend of mine once modelled for Mercedes. Sadly, the model did not go into production. Here they are, next to each other:
    703_bionic_car_01.jpg
    :)) Looks like something the Beatles would've loved to ride in.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Gorgeous car, but you quite rightly emphasise the perfect proportions, it’s a sleek, beautifully balanced car. I hear it’s the last petrol-engined Lotus, which I think is a pity.
    It's gorgeous. That one above is identical to the one Harry collected three days ago.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I do like that lotus, lovely nimble car.
    6vwyussbxx5k.jpg

I'll go with the new Alfa. Yes, also a zebra, but still.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I'll go with the new Alfa. Yes, also a zebra, but still.

You must be about the last fan of Alfa Romeos around. I've always liked their looks, and I hope Stellantis have been doing something about quality for the last few years, but in most of the last decades their quality was atrocious and even worse than Fiat's, of which I can tell a story because my father (in the late sixties until the late seventies) bought four of them in a row because no other dealer would accept a used Fiat as a trade-in for a price worth mentioning.

OK, the car I use primarily (2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee) is also part of that group of companies now, but it basically stems from the times of Daimler Chrysler, is to a high degree identical with what is now a Mercedes GLE...and I would suppose that those workers and robots in Detroit (assembling things like the Italian diesel engine and the German ZF transmission and Continental tires) are at least less relaxed than those Italian workers of the sixties and seventies who apparently didn't give a shit about their product. In particular, stories about the workers assembling the Alfa Spider abounded in the 70s and 80s.

It's not about Alfa Romeo exactly, but I remember from the 70s a friend who was a lawyer and absolutely pissed about his law partner having bought a Lancia (Gamma, I think) as a business car, the costs of which he had to share. That thing let the rain through around the edges of its windshield and rusted in all places, and the company responded to complaints by saying that in their opinion, a four-year old car has been written off, and that was it. And Lancia is also part of the Fiat empire, like just about everything else in Italy.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Obnoxious car really. Big and ugly. The giant, horribly oversized and badly designed grille is the metaphor for the entire car. Not for me.
    Yes, it's always good to see that other companies can build even uglier cars than BMW.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I want to like Alfas, and they still have a touch of style about them, but they seem to go for this slightly blobby look which doesn't do much for me.
    I love Alfas. Always have been an alfista. And had one for years, an alfa rosso quadrifoglio verde with tan interior. Love them, but I wish they'd made a new Spider, instead of giving away their joint project with mazda to fiat.
    I love Alfas. Always have been an alfista. And had one for years, an alfa rosso quadrifoglio verde with tan interior. Love them, but I wish they'd made a new Spider, instead of giving away their joint project with mazda to fiat.
    Is this about the latest MX-5 being also made, slightly differently, as a Fiat 124? Or any new project?

I love the present MX-5 although I'm not ready to squeeze myself into it (had a 1992 MX-5 NA for 16 years, but this seems smaller!). And I like Fiat's take on the fake 124, for sentimental reasons. But of course an Alfa version, with a decent engine (and of course made in Japan, like the "124" revenant!) might be much more attractive.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I wanted to like the new 124 Spider but it was just missing something. I had an Alfa for a few years and I loved the style of it, it just had something about it, but that Fiat didn't quite seem to hit that Italian style note properly. Plus the design was fussier than the original which had nice, crisp, simple lines; although I guess it wasn't blobby like Alfas have turned in the last few years. Every time I see a 124 I kind of try to force myself to like it, but I just can't.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Gorgeous car, but you quite rightly emphasise the perfect proportions, it’s a sleek, beautifully balanced car. I hear it’s the last petrol-engined Lotus, which I think is a pity.

The thing i don't like about the Emira is the bonnet with those 2 massive unnecessary ? "slits".
    Lotus_Emira-1200x630-2.jpg