15 shot dead at Batman premiere in Denver

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've been led to believe that not only is the apartment booby-trapped, but they have yet to be able to enter because his front door is rigged.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It makes you wonder if this loon didn't like the film and wanted to take his anger out on others. No doubt this has happened for some stupid and nonsensical reason.
    Was this person attending the film, and then left and returned, or did he just enter and start?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    The-Dark-Knight-Rises-Bane-Triumphant-Header.jpg

Rip
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Was this person attending the film, and then left and returned, or did he just enter and start?

Entered and started as far as I'm aware. He was in protective gear and opened fire with guns and teargas.

Have you heard about the Gangster Squad trailer news:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/warner-bros-paired-dark-knight-rises-with-trailer-of-gangster-shooting-up-movie-theater-which-studio-didnt-take-down-until-i-complained/

This is maybe taking it a bit too far, no?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Entered and started as far as I'm aware. He was in protective gear and opened fire with guns and teargas.

Have you heard about the Gangster Squad trailer news:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/warner-bros-paired-dark-knight-rises-with-trailer-of-gangster-shooting-up-movie-theater-which-studio-didnt-take-down-until-i-complained/

This is maybe taking it a bit too far, no?

Some people take things too far. And the same people always want to find a reason why someone does something terrible like this. And then they have to blame movies/videogames/internet etc. Just because people think that those things can trigger people to become violent.
    I see absolutely no meaning in puttning that trailer down really!
    edited July 2012 Posts: 40,509
    This trailer has been out for, what, two, three months? And now it's unacceptable because of this? That is taking it extremely far. Even now, it isn't the 'Movie Theater Massacre,' it has to be 'The Dark Knight Rises Massacre.' Shouldn't it be the former until a conclusion is reached that the film did or didn't have anything to do with the massacre?

It's eerie that I was talking about how that scene in 'Gangster Squad' looks really cool, too, just last night.
    Add in all the talk of, "Oh no, now The Dark Knight Rises may not get the opening weekend record" and you know the world, or the US at least, has gone mad.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I'm pretty sure that this event is going to promote the film in the same way as Ledger death did to TDK.
    Jessica Redfield, one of the victims of the shooting last night, narrowly avoided a shooting in a mall last month. Her final 'tweet' or whatever it is involved her speaking of the film not starting for another twenty minutes. RIP, Jessica.

It's also confirmed that members of the US military were among the victims in the shooting. RIP to all of them.

I just don't understand how the site that called in to complain about the 'Gangster Squad' trailer is the same site pondering whether the box office for the film will be affected by the shooting. Who cares?! Innocent people lost their lives.

This is a picture of the shooter:
    http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/batman-massacre-james-holmes-photo/
    I
    RogueAgent wrote:
    We should never let events like this as tragic as they are, stop us from going out and living our lives. All we can do is remember them, and condem those who carried out these events.

I hope you can go and just relax and try to watch what i imagine is a great movie!

I'll be able to relax, and hopefully enjoy it too, it's just knowing that people lost their lives during what should have been a safe, happy and enjoyable event. I live in a part of the world that is fairly safe and free of these kinds of random acts of outrageous violence.

Sadly, there is no such place in the world. Ask Norway.
    Well since I live in Albuquerque, Aurora is only 6 hours away...still sad to see and my prayers go out to my neighbors up north...and I hope that sick SOB gets what he so rightfully deserves
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:

I hope somebody wipes the smile off of his face real soon.
    Please god, it doesn't give anyone any ideas for the Olympics.
    Event seems to be even more sad the more I hear about it. Hearing a few conflicting reports in different places-like the shooter came in after the trailers had finished was one I heard earlier, the ITN news has just said he came in after a shoot out scene in the film. The reporter on there actually finished with 'They had came to see a film called The Dark Knight rises-it was indeed a dark night. Is it just me or is that a little disrespectful?
    Incredibly disrespectful, @scotty8692. I listened to a witness state that they heard shooting going on in the theater where the incident occurred, and they thought it was part of the film, until bullets started to go through the wall, apparently? I don't know.
    I also heard James Cameron was in the adjoining theater but I don't know how true that was. He also wasn't maybe as tactful with his words as he should have been-said it was like 'something from a sci-fi film' which seems a little wrong as it happened at a film, people happened to think it was part of the screening, etc. Why he mentioned sci-fi film specifically I don't know. If that is true what he said, I can understand he thinks it's maybe unreal, but again, seems a poor choice of words.
    I think if Cameron was attempting to describe it as some crazy, surreal, unbelievable turn of events, he could have used far better words than describing the events that took place 'like something from a sci-fi film.'

The police are holding a conference right now. Unfortunately, reports are coming in that when Holmes was arrested, he said he was 'the Joker,' and he was sporting red hair in likeness to The Joker's in the hospital scene in TDK. This is incredibly unfortunate. Here's a link:

http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-colorado-shooting-joker/
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Oh wow what a dumbass. I'm sure that's what the guys will call him in prison
    I agree Creasy. And really? Then the media will from henceforth always refer to him as the Batman killer or this event as The Dark Knight Rises massacre or something like that-which is giving him the publicity he no doubt wanted.
    This is one of the things I hope didn't come out of the gate: that this was referenced with the 'Batman' trilogy in any way, shape, or form. Now, over the next few weeks, the trilogy will be talked down upon for inciting a mass shooting like this. Unbelievable.

Through the police conference, the 911 calls came in at 12:39 AM, so he definitely came in after the film started.
    Shocked and saddened to hear of this senseless evil wicked act. RIP to those that have lost their lives and speedy recovery to those that were injuried.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 4,619
    scotty8692 wrote:
    I also heard James Cameron was in the adjoining theater but I don't know how true that was.

Yes, but he isn't the director James Cameron.
    As saddened as I am about this whole incident, I'm even more upset with the way the media has reacted.

All 'The Dark Knight Rises' trailers are being edited to remove any sight of a gun,
    Many 'Safety Not Guaranteed' movie posters are being taken down in theaters,
    and
    The 'Gangster Squad' Trailer will no longer play in front of the film (due a shooting scene in a theater in the film).

That's a little ridiculous. This evil man and the media's attention, as well as too much sensitivity has lead to THREE films possibly losing millions of dollars at the box office because they have to change their products for 'sensitive' content.

'Safety Not Guaranteed' and 'Gangster Squad' have been planned and under production for years now, and it's ridiculous to force them to severely cut their advertising due to an unrelated incident and the sensitive media.

Sorry if any of you may be offended (don't be), but that's how I feel.
  • I heard about it this morning. I was at a Batman marathon last night and it really shook me. Absolutely devastating. My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 165
    Why is anyone shocked by this? We have shootings like this in the US all the time. Does no one remember the seven shooting victims at Oikos University in April; or the school shooting in Chadron, Ohio, in February; or the Arizona shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others—killing six—in 2011; or the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007; or the Columbine shooting more than 13 years ago?

There are about 10,000 gun murders in the United States every year. There are on average, 20 mass shootings per year. And according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, every day in America, guns claim 84 lives and wound nearly 200.

What's more, we choose to live like this by our refusal to impose stricter gun control laws. Instead, we're sold a line about protecting our "freedom". Well, this is your freedom, my fellow Americans. You wanted it, you got it. Yippee-oh ki yay, motherf*ckers.

Shocked? Hell, we should expected it. Just as we can expect another mass shooting in the next 9-12 months. It's not a question of "if", but only of "when". And when it happens again - in a shopping mall, or a ballgame, or yet another school - we will all wring our hands and shake our heads and, in the biggest ongoing mass delusion, we'll wonder how something this awfull could ever happen.

But it does happen. It will happen again. And we will forget, after a short while just like we always do. Because we're addicted to this free wheeling cowboy concept of "freedom". Because we can't wrap our heads around the fact that you can't have millions of guns lying around and not have one of them fall into the hands of madmen.

Feel sympathy for the victims and their families, but don't be shocked. We did this to ourselves. We did this because our puff-chested macho image of ourselves leaves us too weak to change.
    Long as the economy stinks, and the rich keep widening the gap between them and the middle class, then these "fringe" elements will continue to go postal somewhere.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'm not surprised. Some people just want an excuse to kill, and a movie is as valid an excuse as any for them.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Grinderman wrote:
    What's more, we choose to live like this by our refusal to impose stricter gun control laws. Instead, we're sold a line about protecting our "freedom". Well, this is your freedom, my fellow Americans. You wanted it, you got it. Yippee-oh ki yay, motherf*ckers.

Shocked? Hell, we should expected it. Just as we can expect another mass shooting in the next 9-12 months. It's not a question of "if", but only of "when". And when it happens again - in a shopping mall, or a ballgame, or yet another school - we will all wring our hands and shake our heads and, in the biggest ongoing mass delusion, we'll wonder how something this awfull could ever happen.

But it does happen. It will happen again. And we will forget, after a short while just like we always do. Because we're addicted to this free wheeling cowboy concept of "freedom". Because we can't wrap our heads around the fact that you can't have millions of guns lying around and not have one of them fall into the hands of madmen.

Feel sympathy for the victims and their families, but don't be shocked. We did this to ourselves. We did this because our puff-chested macho image of ourselves leaves us too weak to change.

Bingo. I'd rather have the freedom not to be gunned down by some sociopath than the right to bear arms. The US needs to reinstitute the assault weapons ban and enact meaningful mental health screenings of gun purchasers.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2012 Posts: 2,629
    I think it's time to make mental health screenings more accessible to the American public. I'm not going to try to figure out the logistics of this, but basically have a mandatory screening every year or so for every citizen 5 or older.

Within the last 20 years and excluding 9/11, America has had horrific violent acts in Waco, Oklahoma City, Columbine, Virginia Tech, Tucson and now Aurora. There are others that I'm overlooking, but these are the main ones. These acts have included death and destruction to a work place, high school, college, an informal public forum with a congresswoman and now a movie theatre which involved someone with serious mental issuesfor various reasons. These have all involved acts of violence by those with serious mental problems.

I'm sure this won't be the last tragic event America will experience, but improving mental health screenings could pick up on a possible psychotic, sociapath or a child being molested and reduce the risk of these future events happening.
This discussion has been closed.