15 shot dead at Batman premiere in Denver

DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
edited July 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 1,347
http://news.sky.com/story/962756/reports-10-shot-dead-at-batman-film-premiere

Woah, what a tragedy.. Not so much info yet since it just happened.

:(

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why should such a brilliant and deserving film be brought down by this news? Why are filmgoers trying to enjoy a movie being shot? This world has no decency.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I so hope this won't be linked to the film or anything. I'm not in for yet another movie violence inspires real life violence debate.

That said, unbelievable. Like all violence, it was pointless and horrible. I condemn the actions of the people responsible for this.
    14 confirmed dead now according the the police press conference.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    indeed Dimi, none of that debate please.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 7,653
    http://www.chron.com/news/article/Police-Up-to-20-injured-in-Colorado-mall-shooting-3721906.php

No mention of any Iranian mask mentioned. I think it is to early too start blaming anybody, for all we know it could be a big Marvelfan.
    Yeah apparently the reddit post has been edited now. Just a troll, so disregard it.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    to quote Ron Perlman from the 'Dirty Laundry' Punisher short..

"The world is going to hell, and I've got a front row seat."

and why? what for?.... was it an argument over the film? did someone look at his woman the wrong way? did the movie suck and he wanted his money back?.. honestly - what in the world is so bad, that one needs to stroll into a crowded theater, and rob 14 families of their loved ones?.... lunatics like this - i wont even comment on how the justice system should handle them - all i can say is, it's not nicely.... i have zero tolerance, and zero sympathy for individuals who choose to do such heinous acts of violence towards innocent people.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 268
    I think it was as simple as: alot of people were going to be there = perfect spot for an attack.

My hype is at 0% now, damnit, this was suppose to be a fun and happy weekend with an anticipated movie finally opening, and then these fucktards goes and does something like this. And then to shoot small children and pregnat women aswell, I mean WTF!!??
    I still can't believe this. Tragedy doesn't cover it. My heart goes out to the victims' families, and I wish the survivors recovery.

I don't understand how someone can do such things to innocent people.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Very sad news and tragic doesn't even begin to describe this but once again, this film just like TDK has an air of morbid curiosity about it that will somehow benefit the movie financially.
  • "You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These civilized people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    this film just like TDK has an air of morbid curiosity about it that will somehow benefit the movie financially.

I don't think things will take that turn. My gut feeling tells me that Ledger's demise will eventually be remembered more than this shoot-out, which is another morbid thought.

• DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,347
    A six year old and a nine year old among the victims... This is so crazy.
    Apperantly there have been shootings at that particular theater before, so this is not an isolated incident. Hope for humanity decreasing.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Imagine, going to an establishment to have a good time and this absurdity happens? Imagine if such a thing happened at a Bond movie, it'll all be over for us because some people are so callous and just don't hive a damn about others.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Honestly one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. Really, people can't even enjoy a movie now without this happening? Terrible.

This will spark yet more gun control debates, I'm sure.
    I hope the bastard that did this gets what's coming to him.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,699
    Tragic news. Unfortunately, the world has a habit of showing its ugly, dark and violent side on dramatic, incoherent and one-off occasions such as this - and sadly often involves deranged people who seem to fall through society's cracks.

Again, however much the United States' gun policy changes or remains the same in future (and that's a whole other discussion) the number of such instances as this may change, but the fact they'll probably always occur every now and again won't...

And apperently a baby. :-?

They never should have been at this movie showing in the first place.

I
    SaintMark wrote:

I know you weren't suggesting that they deserved it Saint Mark, I would agree that it's not the kinda movie you take kids to, but even so, a baby should be able to go to the cinema without leaving in a body bag. Terrible news-not the thing what you want to be waking up to. They've apparently arrested the guy, so let's hope there's some justice coming.
    Why? Oh why? Oh why? A tragic loss of life again for no reason whatsoever? I agree with DD that no doubt that someone will suggest the link between the film and this madness of mindless violence.

If it does come up then what about computer games? It will just snowball all over again. Thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost somebody special.
    Glad they caught him right away. Any info on him yet? He has death penalty written all over him
    Just stated on Sky news the death toll has now been confirmed as 12. The youngest was only 6 years old!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Why? Oh why? Oh why? A tragic loss of life again for no reason whatsoever? I agree with DD that no doubt that someone will suggest the link between the film and this madness of mindless violence.

If it does come up then what about computer games? It will just snowball all over again. Thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have lost somebody special.

Unfortunately that the video games/films argument will probably be trotted out again, RogueAgent. I think people always think there must be something else behind terrible events, that they think something else has to be to blame, as no-one could be capable of carrying out terrible events themselves.

And Master_Dahark, 24 years old I heard on the news on the BBC over here, on the 1 o' Clock programme. They're checking his apartment to see if they can find any weapons.

scotty8692 wrote:
    I
    SaintMark wrote:

I know you weren't suggesting that they deserved it Saint Mark, I would agree that it's not the kinda movie you take kids to, but even so, a baby should be able to go to the cinema without leaving in a body bag. Terrible news-not the thing what you want to be waking up to. They've apparently arrested the guy, so let's hope there's some justice coming.

I am suggesting that no young kids like that should have been among the victims to begin with.
    SaintMark wrote:
    scotty8692 wrote:
    I
    SaintMark wrote:

I am suggesting that no young kids like that should have been among the victims to begin with.

I know what you were saying and I agree, this probably isn't the time for the 'shouldn't have been there in the first place' argument, though you of course think if they weren't taken to a unsuitable film, they may be still alive now, which is tragic, like the rest of last night's events. Anyway, don't mean to disagree or fall out with anyone on my first day of joining!

Glad they caught him right away. Any info on him yet? He has death penalty written all over him

Death penalty is too nice. They ought to tie him up in front of the theater and whip the bastard.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the whole violence in movies video game argument is just another witch hunt for the media to latch on to - it gets really old to hear the same arguments over and over.... fact is, movies and video games don't make people do anything.. if the person who watches or plays such material goes out and commits unspeakable acts, chances are he was already unstable to begin with...
    BangOnTime wrote:

Death penalty is too nice. They ought to tie him up in front of the theater and whip the bastard.

it may sound crazy... but it's times like these, when i wish there was a real life Frank Castle.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    This will spark yet more gun control debates, I'm sure.

Perhaps, but nothing will change. Columbine, Congresswoman Giffords and the various college shootings haven't changed anything, so why would this? All you have to do is have a clean record, the money to pay for the gun and stay sane long enough to work around the Brady Bill. Us Yanks love their guns too much to give up the Second amendment.

This is certainly tragic, but don't let this incident stop you from attending this weekend.

This discussion has been closed.