What is our expectation of a Bond film?

In anticipation of a new Bond film coming out, what expectation does one have of a Bond film? I ask because recently I read an article in which BB comments that casting a nontraditional actor in the role of Bond would open up new creative opportunities for the franchise to comment on cultural, political, and sociopolitical issues. Is that why we go to Bond films? In part to see how the film comments on those issues? What is our expectation?

Comments

I mean, arguably all films 'comment' on sociopolitical, cultural and political issues in the sense that they are products of the world we live in and reflect this in various ways. DN is a product of the 'swinging 60s' just as much as CR is a product of a post-9/11 world. Some films more consciously do this than others but it's not new for Bond.

I'm not sure if casting a 'non-traditional' actor necessarily opens up opportunities, at least not in the way I think most us think when we read that sentence. But I'm sure the next Bond film will in some way reflect our current society.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm in two minds over it truthfully

In one sense, I'm really excited because normally the first film of the new actor is always a strong one. It seems when a new actor comes around everybody is re-energised.

On the other hand, I'm slightly nervous of the next film.
    I think this might be the first time in the series Bond is less recognisable than before, not just in the actors features but his attitude and out look, given some of the producers comments in recent interviews. As someone who didn't enjoy parts of NTTD, I'm scared that's a precursor of what's in store
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 2,750
    I guess what gives me hope is that the producers have been able to keep the character recognisably Bondian while also evoking the times. Like I said the Craig era started out in a post-9/11 world and seemed to consciously include things like terrorists trying to blow up a plane, the CIA conspiring with the villains, Bond going against his own government's order to complete his mission etc. Still, both films had all the usual Bond fare. SF touched upon things like the role of technology in the modern world, Bond's own place in it... hell, the film didn't even have a proper Bond girl and subverted many of the usual expectations of a Bond story (technically Silva 'wins', or at least no one outright succeeds). Despite this, it's arguably the most 'Fleming-esque' that Craig's Bond was written during his tenure, and things such as Bond's Britishness, nods to the iconography of the series were included too.

Even NTTD is still fundamentally a Bond film. For all the hyperbole around Nomi and 'wokeness' early on, Bond always gets the upper hand over her, and by the end she comes to trust him. We still have the core Bond elements - the villain, the Bond girls etc. Even considering the fact that Bond dies (a big departure from the traditional Bond story outline) he not only saves the day but is elevated to a heroic figure in his death, his legacy living on through the stories Madeline tells to Mathilde.

Like I said, it's always been the case with the cinematic Bond. Regardless of the times, how much 'socio-political' stuff is added in, even whatever departures from the usual Bond formula we get, I think there's a conscious effort to keep the core traits of the character and these stories alive - that sense of Britishness, good vs evil, a character with vices such as drinking, cars, women etc.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    New fan here, became a fan around something like 2020 or near pandemic.
    So, I don't have that much of an expectation, but after seeing NTTD, there's no hype for me.
    It's uncertain for me, especially when I've heard that the Producers would likely to lean more on Bond's feelings, which I'm not sure.
    My expectations were really not that high, just middle or fine.

I'm in the same camp that didn't enjoyed NTTD, and I don't know what would be my expectations for the next Bond film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think, @CrabKey , we have to take Barbara Broccoli at her word; after 25 films, she and her partners need to find ways of keeping this character exciting, while also delivering on expectations (action, exotic locations, lovely women and villainous villains).

That’s why I didn’t mind a tonal switch from CR-QOS to SF… If they kept the same tone from the first two films, I think the Craig Era would have grown stale awfully quickly.

Instead they built on the first two, then expanded the tone.

I think we should expect no different in the future.

Plus, Ms. Broccoli has people she has to answer to: her creative partners who will finance the films, and her partners who will distribute the films. If she wanted to do something truly radical that changes the general archetypal traits of the character, guess what? she won’t have the money to produce the films, nor the people to distribute. In the end, she’s well aware that she’s in the film business and that there are expectations for this character.

At the same time, creatively, she’s more than a sausage factory and she will look for surprising ways to present James Bond to a worldwide audience. And, like anything or any venture in life: You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time…

When I look at all of the 25 pictures to date, she and her father and and all of their partners, I think, have pleased many of us most of the time. I expect no different in the future…
    Expectations… hard to say. It’s at least safe to expect things like fancy clothes and cars and explosive action. I think a lot of change is likely, with some possibilities being: a non-white actor portraying Bond, new dramatic angles that continue a personal look at Bond’s character in new ways (hopefully not retreads from the Craig era), monogamous or single Bond, a series of films that is planned as a continuous saga in advance this time, new MI6 dynamics. There will probably be changes I don’t see coming that may or may not benefit the next film. Interested to see exactly what happens.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I expect fun, top tier style and cinematography, Bond in a tux, exotic locations.

I like the idea that a Bond film function as a sort of luxe travelogue as a framework, filled in with sensuality and intrigue. I feel like that's pretty in line with what Fleming wanted for the stories.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    My main expectation of a Bond movie is summed up in one word: excitement.

How that is achieved is on a different level. I'm still dreaming of the series continuing as a period piece, set at a time when the novels came out. This would offer the opportunity to basically rehash all the movies we've already had, but closer to the literary Bond. However, I'm afraid that the general public won't like it that much, since it comes close to watching 80-year-old film noirs (which are mostly great, by the way!).

But my expectation of future Bond movies is at least that the character survives (after being revived in the first place), fights for the (relative) good, lays women (and yes, I'm afraid: not men), kills baddies, drinks dry vodka martinis, shaken not stirred (preferably Vespers), has an Aston Martin, flirts with Moneypenny, gets a few gadgets from Q, is reprimanded by M, and has a major fight at the end taking place in a villain's lair, preferably underground, with a monorail line and supported by Mini Mokes, before the entire place blows up.

I hope that doesn't sound too revolutionary to any of you.
    Some period-piece Bond would be great. I wonder if they could do a limited series where each novel is a one-hour episode? Maybe two seasons to cover all the novels?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Some period-piece Bond would be great. I wonder if they could do a limited series where each novel is a one-hour episode? Maybe two seasons to cover all the novels?

That sounds brilliant, @NickTwentyTwo. I might even get my first streaming subscription ever if that happens. So far I managed to resist.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

I would love that. 60-ish minute eps, some a bit shorter and some a bit longer, true to the period of the books. I would love me a direct adaptation of TSWLM.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I would love that. 60-ish minute eps, some a bit shorter and some a bit longer, true to the period of the books. I would love me a direct adaptation of TSWLM.

Me too. It just won't be a box-office success, I'm afraid. Quite frankly (and with the requisite admonitions of comparing apples to pears), I like the novel more than the movie. The movie is Roger Moore 1970s fun (basically a continuation of The Persuaders in that regard), yes, but the novel is vintage Fleming, and if filmed as a period piece, it might be brilliant.
    I’ll start a production company, get big enough that I can take over the franchise from the Broccolis and get it made for you guys.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I’ll start a production company, get big enough that I can take over the franchise from the Broccolis and get it made for you guys.

Please let me audition the girls whose silhouettes will be shown during the OT. 😄
    Good luck, @NickTwentyTwo. If you make that, I may be tempted to renew my bar admission and return to being a (German) attorney-at-law to represent you over here.
    Sith Lord and Sergeant, you're hired.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'm in two minds over it truthfully

In one sense, I'm really excited because normally the first film of the new actor is always a strong one. It seems when a new actor comes around everybody is re-energised.

On the other hand, I'm slightly nervous of the next film.
    I think this might be the first time in the series Bond is less recognisable than before, not just in the actors features but his attitude and out look, given some of the producers comments in recent interviews. As someone who didn't enjoy parts of NTTD, I'm scared that's a precursor of what's in store

Yeah, it's looking like the Reinvention talk means certain changes to the character and the films. Hopefully, for the best. Although, familiar traits would most definitely be retained. Interesting times for Bond.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I’ll hafta write this here…. I think Sope Dirisu checks all the boxes for the next James Bond. He’s by far my favourite…. As I’ve said before, I give a damn about skin tone, or hair, or height (within reason), and Sope is utterly and absolutely a warm and deadly alpha that would annihilate his closest rival.

However, if EoN went another route, and cast a “name”-name, then I’m on board with @talos7 and his suggestion: Hemsworrh…. If the next budget was $215 million, and $8-12 million went to Hemsworth, he’d not be a bad choice at all.

I just watched a weirdly terrible, but highly watchable Netflix film called Spiderhead…. Hemsworth may not have Craig-like acting chops, but his performances are always in the solid category, but, more importantly, he’s a specimen— he’s handsome and moves well. He’s got magnetism and I wanted to watch him. He was funny and dapper and charismatic….

Shout out to Talos7; this was a solid call …..
    I'd take Chris Hemsworth over Henry Cavill... is he done as Thor now that Natalie Portman is in?
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,382
    Chris Hemsworth for me too, the guy ticks all the boxes for the Bond role!

And he could play a (wide) variety of emotions, he's versatile, he could be gritty and angry like Dalton or Craig convincingly, he could be vulnerable and emotional like Lazenby, he could be a gentleman action star ala Brosnan, he could be funny, lighthearted and romantic like Moore or he could be a suave, sophisticated, sexy and swagger like Connery.

And he could be convincing as a realistic spy (think of Alex Leamas in The Spy Who Came In From The Cold), and something that he could brought something new to the table that none of the past Bond actors did before.

He could play or portray all of those very convincingly.

He's a great actor, something that in my opinion, Henry Cavill lacks, I couldn't see him playing different portrayals, being a diverse or versatile actor, and something whom I don't think could bring something new to the table.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,518
    I really hate the term, but for lack of a better one, Bond IMO needs to be a sort of "alpha male" type figure... Cillian is a brilliant actor and could likely do something really interesting with the role, but for me, he's just not Bond. It's my same basic problem with Aidan Turner. He makes a great villain though.

Nice shout, though he lacks some charm or looks, I'm afraid.
    I think he's a great actor too, but lacked charm and looks.
    He looks more like a Bond villain than James Bond himself to me 😅 (more like a modern version of Max Zorin).

But great actor though.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,518
    @DarthDimi "who should/could be a Bond actor" is seeping it's stench into other threads... is it time to reopen?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/chris-hemsworth-taking-a-break-from-acting-after-discovering-he-is-at-risk-for-alzheimers/1100-6509296/

Sad.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @DarthDimi "who should/could be a Bond actor" is seeping it's stench into other threads... is it time to reopen?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/chris-hemsworth-taking-a-break-from-acting-after-discovering-he-is-at-risk-for-alzheimers/1100-6509296/

Sad.

Wow, that's terrible. Good for him in taking a step a way and engaging in proactive steps. We've recently been dealing with this disease in our family and it's devestatting. My heart goes out to the guy.

Sad.

Give him a chance while he's still have the strength to play! While it's still not coming!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,895
    Hemsworth's an Aussie, though. Closer to a Brit than most, but Barbara Broccoli said explicitly that the next Bond actor 'should be British.' Ok, 'should be' isn't as categorical as 'will be', but it suggests that Chris would be way down the list until they'd cleaned out the ranks of potential Brits. I'm not against it - just seems like a longshot.
    If they tradcast, I'd want Aidan Turner. If they 'raceswap', I'd want Sope. If they wanted to maintain the Craig-style left field choice...I honestly don't know. I can't see an equivalent of the 2005 Craig among current British actors. Actually, maybe a dearth of suitable Brits would give Chris his chance, after all?
    I have no idea for British, though Cumberbatch is one of the options, if they will go down a Roger Moore route, I could see Cumberbatch being the second coming of Roger Moore (as for me), but I doubt they would go down that route!

But like Craig, I don't see any other British actors, Hemsworth is the only one I really see who could come close to that, though he's an Aussie, same for Hugh Jackman too, but again he's an Aussie and way too old.

Yes, it's hard to imagine someone who could get close to Craig when he's in CR.
    One expectation I'm relatively sure about for the next Bond film is that the actor won't be someone like Hemsworth, Cumberbatch, Jackman etc. Even Cillian Murphy would be out (although possibly he could be a villain). Same for Aidan Turner too.

I think the next Bond will be someone more left-field, lesser known and British. If they're currently being discussed as potentials in the press by more than two outlets in these 'next Bond actor' lists at this this point, they likely won't get the role.
    007HallY wrote: »
    One expectation I'm relatively sure about for the next Bond film is that the actor won't be someone like Hemsworth, Cumberbatch, Jackman etc. Even Cillian Murphy would be out (although possibly he could be a villain). Same for Aidan Turner too.

I think the next Bond will be someone more left-field, lesser known and British. If they're currently being discussed as potentials in the press by more than two outlets in these 'next Bond actor' lists at this this point, they likely won't get the role.

So probably stage actors right? Or someone whose in TVs (TV actors)?