What is our expectation of a Bond film?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2022 Posts: 2,897
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    007HallY wrote: »
    One expectation I'm relatively sure about for the next Bond film is that the actor won't be someone like Hemsworth, Cumberbatch, Jackman etc. Even Cillian Murphy would be out (although possibly he could be a villain). Same for Aidan Turner too.

I think the next Bond will be someone more left-field, lesser known and British. If they're currently being discussed as potentials in the press by more than two outlets in these 'next Bond actor' lists at this this point, they likely won't get the role.

So probably stage actors right? Or someone whose in TVs (TV actors)?

Maybe they'll have done theatre, but I get the sense the next Bond will have done movies and TV and be chosen based on their performances in these mediums. Likely they’ll have done medium budget movies, probably British genre ones (yes, I suspect the next Bond will be British). I doubt they'll have been in a Marvel or superhero films, certainly not as the lead.

Really, it's no different to the backgrounds of any of the past Bonds (Lazenby being the exception due to his lack of acting experience, and I doubt such a decision is one they'll want to make again). Actors like Hemsworth have already been ruled out. For one they're expensive. Another is they usually have other roles in separate, often competing franchises they are committed to. It'll be a logistic nightmare in terms of scheduling. That's not even getting into the dilemma of what expectations audiences have around these actors and whether or not a role like Bond requires someone lesser known in order for them to more effectively do something interesting with the role.

It's why I always sprout the same names as potential future Bonds - Sope Dirisu, Jack O'Connell, Tom Hughes, Jack Bannon etc. Film/TV actors, not too famous, but working character actors who are known in the British film industry.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,390
    One expectation I'm relatively sure about for the next Bond film is that the actor won't be someone like Hemsworth, Cumberbatch, Jackman etc. Even Cillian Murphy would be out (although possibly he could be a villain). Same for Aidan Turner too.

I think the next Bond will be someone more left-field, lesser known and British. If they're currently being discussed as potentials in the press by more than two outlets in these 'next Bond actor' lists at this this point, they likely won't get the role.

Maybe they'll have done theatre, but I get the sense the next Bond will have done movies and TV and be chosen based on their performances in these mediums. Likely they’ll have done medium budget movies, probably British genre ones (yes, I suspect the next Bond will be British). I doubt they'll have been in a Marvel or superhero films, certainly not as the lead.

Really, it's no different to the backgrounds of any of the past Bonds (Lazenby being the exception due to his lack of acting experience, and I doubt such a decision is one they'll want to make again). Actors like Hemsworth have already been ruled out. For one they're expensive. Another is they usually have other roles in separate, often competing franchises they are committed to. It'll be a logistic nightmare in terms of scheduling. That's not even getting into the dilemma of what expectations audiences have around these actors and whether or not a role like Bond requires someone lesser known in order for them to more effectively do something interesting with the role.

It's why I always sprout the same names as potential future Bonds - Sope Dirisu, Jack O'Connell, Tom Hughes, Jack Bannon etc. Film/TV actors, not too famous, but working character actors who are known in the British film industry.

Yes, someone like Daniel Craig, I mean long before he's Bond, he'd been a small time actor, an unknown too, or Never heard of.

He'd been in some films, but not as super famous or popular or how I say it, a household name.

Someone like Craig, I think (in terms of popularity status of being an actor).
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 2,897

Yes, someone like Daniel Craig, I mean long before he's Bond, he'd been a small time actor, an unknown too, or Never heard of.

He'd been in some films, but not as super famous or popular or how I say it, a household name.

Someone like Craig, I think (in terms of popularity status of being an actor).

I suppose Craig had a bit of a boost in recognition after Tomb Raider. But ultimately yeah, he was essentially more in the realm of 'character actor' rather than movie star.

I do think starring in films and TV is something of a necessity with a Bond actor. Again, not in an action film per say or anything too big. But acting for film and theatre can be different than the theatre. Especially for Bond there's a need for the actor to be a bit more understated, but still make an impression on the audience. I used to be of the opinion that it'd be interesting having an actor who'd only done theatre for the role. Perhaps someone could come along, but over time my instinct has drifted towards Bond being better suited for film/tv actors, maybe who'd done theatre in the past, but ones who ultimately have that onscreen experience.
    My expectation? Sex, violence, wit, and escapism. Let other films deal with social issues and commentary.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I suppose escapism and political commentary are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but I think it's getting harder and harder to ignore the latter.

In the news recently we learned that an errant missile from the Russia Ukraine crisis hit Poland, which is a serious matter because Poland is a NATO country, and the fallout could effectively cause WWIII.

My mind instantly went to, what would be a good plot to come out of this situation?

Say one of the two Polish farmers who got killed had a family member who was a political extremist, or something of the like. Maybe they would want to frame the accident to be an intentional strike from Russia into Poland, so that NATO would respond and a resultant WWIII would crush Russia for what they did to this person's family.

Maybe Bond has to come in and actually defend Russia from these attacks, so there isn't an escalation towards Nuclear War.

An interesting plot, I think.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Bond actually having to prove that the 'bad guys' weren't guilty, when there's hawks on either side trying to stop him because they're happy for it to be used as a pretext for the big one to kick off? Yeah, there's scope there for sure. Good one, Nick.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    We'll call it Nighthawks
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    The Midnight Flyer