Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,318
    Benny wrote: »
    @JeremyBondon your personal attacks on other members needs to stop!

Attack? Perhaps I should have added an 'in awe of - connotation', as it is a massive number. Not an attack at all, hence the wink. You know what was an attack however? A certain member calling me a racist for the third time, getting away with it, yet again.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,368
    I think one thing we always have to remember is, there are candidates we can instantly picture in a role...even when they're sleeping or not in their most composed appearance. But there are other candidates out there that have to be seen in the film before fans believe. Robert Pattinson as Batman is the newest example. Harry Styles isn't even on my list to play Bond. But if he's picked, there's nothing I can do about it. The least I can do, is to picture him as laconic as possible, because that's his strength...I feel.

Also, let's not forget that people thought Heath Ledger wasn't right to play the Joker or Michael Keaton from Beetlejuice wasn't Batman material. I think we judge people from their previous works, which is fair. But we should always keep that open mind that people can also do something different in a flash. For example, I'm not the biggest fan of Eilish's No Time To Die, but I can't deny it sounds Bondian. I think the fear when she was selected for the job was, she was going to do another Bad Guy kind of song for James Bond.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Attack? Perhaps I should have added an 'in awe of - connotation', as it is a massive number. Not an attack at all, hence the wink. You know what was an attack however? A certain member calling me a racist for the third time, getting away with it, yet again.

One could say a member who has 45k posts yet who is active across the forum is no different to a member who has 1.1k posts, yet only posts in one thread of a forum.
    Almost forgot
    ;)

You’re assuming no action was taken. Best not too.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,318

One could say a member who has 45k posts yet who is active across the forum is no different to a member who has 1.1k posts, yet only posts in one thread of a forum.
    Almost forgot
    ;)

You’re assuming no action was taken. Best not too.

Quite right chap. I only have limited time and all the time I do have, I indeed choose to spend in this thread (and some other channels) as it's about the further legacy of Bond, of the utmost importance. I have already spent thousands of hours of my life discussing Bond and frankly this is the most important aspect of Bond to me, after Craig's tenure.

Also, usually there will be a critical post made by a mod in this thread + a DM. In this case there wasn't, until I mentioned it again. The mods who stepped in refuted a couple of essential elements within this discussion, for which I'm grateful.

Happy sunday to you @Benny and everyone else!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2022 Posts: 5,869
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Haven't mentioned Sean Teale in a little bit.

Apparently breaking news to some, but he does have the right look I think. Can he act?
    I think he's a good actor personally. I wouldn't say he's had enough projects to really show off his range, and he hasn't really had any big breaks as of yet. I first saw him in Skins. I've heard good things about him in the twist on Shakespeare, Rosaline, and I know he's just been cast as the male lead by the people behind The Crown in a new Spain-set series Palomino, eight-part thriller series, so that might be his time to shine as well as seeing if he could pull it off.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

Apparently breaking news to some, but he does have the right look I think. Can he act?
    I think he's a good actor personally. I wouldn't say he's had enough projects to really show off his range, and he hasn't really had any big breaks as of yet. I first saw him in Skins. I've heard good things about him in the twist on Shakespeare, Rosaline, and I know he's just been cast as the male lead by the people behind The Crown in a new Spain-set series Palomino, eight-part thriller series, so that might be his time to shine as well as seeing if he could pull it off.

I must admit that I’m completely unfamiliar with this actor, but, having done an image search and watched several interviews, he’s an intriguing suggestion. He has a good look, including Conneryesque eyebrows, lol, a good voice, height and age. He’s definitely worth a look.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    talos7 wrote: »

I must admit that I’m completely unfamiliar with this actor, but, having done an image search and watched several interviews, he’s an intriguing suggestion. He has a good look, including Conneryesque eyebrows, lol, a good voice, height and age. He’s definitely worth a look.

Agreed.
    I'd actually really like to see Teale play a villain in a Bond film for some reason. No idea why but it just seems right to me...

I'm not so sure about him for Bond, but I could be wrong.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,928
    I’m trying to imagine the above guy seducing Monica Bellucci, and any way I picture it she just ends up breaking him.
    Indeed, so. I'm even more convinced now that a prospective candidate really ought to meet the Gogol Criteria:
    1. Could he hold his own in a dramatic scene with Mads Mikkelson?
    2. Does he look like he could seduce Monica Bellucci?
    3. Does he look like he could hold his own in a fight with Dave Bautista?
    Point 1. might be desirable, but 2. and 3. ought to be essential to reach the screentest stage.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think just about every handsome, dark haired Brit gets their name tossed into the Bond conversation whether they’re appropriate or not. Harry Styles strikes me more as a Ben Whishaw Q type or MI6 analyst than a field agent, and certainly not Bondian at all.

Well, Craig is famously the "blond Bond."

I don't think it will be a total unknown like Lazenby because BB and MGW will want to see some acting experience. And I don't think a resemblance to previous Bond actors is relevant at all, perhaps even a hindrance.

Given that Eon has gone for prestige actors since 2005, I think a serious "actor's actor" has a leg up in this search. Someone like Paul Mescal or Josh O'Connor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Venutius wrote: »
    I’m trying to imagine the above guy seducing Monica Bellucci, and any way I picture it she just ends up breaking him.
    Indeed, so. I'm even more convinced now that a prospective candidate really ought to meet the Gogol Criteria:
    1. Could he hold his own in a dramatic scene with Mads Mikkelson?
    2. Does he look like he could seduce Monica Bellucci?
    3. Does he look like he could hold his own in a fight with Dave Bautista?
    Point 1. might be desirable, but 2. and 3. ought to be essential to reach the screentest stage.

So not someone with Chalamet s build and/or Styles...uhm...style?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I find the Monica Bellucci argument irrelevant; they wouldn’t have put a 30 something Craig with a 50 something actress. As far as the Mads and Dave, I can absolutely picture a prepared Hoult dealing with them .
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,928
    So let's qualify that and modify it to 'Does he look like he could seduce a 28-year-old Monica Bellucci?' The point is not about a woman's age, it's about whether or not an actor looks like he'd stand a chance with a beautiful, glamourous woman like Bellucci or whether she'd be more likely to look down her nose and dismiss him. Inability to both attract and not be eaten alive by women of Bellucci's calibre should certainly diminish anyone's potential as a prospective Bond. IMO, obvs.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    talos7 wrote: »
    I find the Monica Bellucci argument irrelevant; they wouldn’t have put a 30 something Craig with a 50 something actress. As far as the Mads and Dave, I can absolutely picture a prepared Hoult dealing with them .

And of course it’s arguable that even Daniel Craig didn’t look much like he could hold his own in a fight against Bautista: that’s the point of hiring Dave Bautista! :)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    So many Bond fights rely on him using his smarts to outwit a physically superior opponent, it's true. And many of the best ones (Grant on the train, Trevelyan on the dish) have him battling someone of similar size. So there you go. It's not always down to the actor to be able to stand up to someone twize his size - the production overall is responsible for making it work.
    Although CraigBond did hold his own against Hinx - for a while, anyway! Point is, he didn't get swatted aside, he put up a fight. Bond doesn't need to/shouldn't be a Terminator, but he can't be a pushover. Sope looks like he'd be convincing in a ruck; Styles...well...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Venutius wrote: »
    Although CraigBond did hold his own against Hinx - for a while, anyway! Point is, he didn't get swatted aside, he put up a fight. Bond doesn't need to/shouldn't be a Terminator, but he can't be a pushover. Sope looks like he'd be convincing in a ruck; Styles...well...

If those mentioned are the candidates (and I’m sure EoN and co. have far more actors in their digital Rolodexes), there’s only one that checks everything I need in the next Bond: Sope.

He seemingly doesn’t just have one or three attributes. He ticks all of the boxes for me: he screams alpha. Oozes sex appeal. Has style. Physical menace. Athletic prowess. Strong voice.
    Stronger presence.

If I were to stand him in the tux against anyone mentioned, he’d destroy them with but a glare directed their way.

Today, if everyone mentioned on this thread were a candidate then I’d put all my money behind Sope.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2022 Posts: 5,869
    So I'd certainly say (at this stage) these are my top five actors for the role...

XvcbXAD.jpg

1. Sam Claflin
    2. Callum Turner
    3. Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    4. Sean Teale
    5. Sope Dirisu
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    With all the names thrown in here for several years now and counting, I would like to think Bond 7 has already been mentioned here. Because if Bond 7 is announced and it so happens that he wasn't even mentioned here with all the effort, it would be very funny to look back and laugh. But still, I'm hoping he has already been mentioned here. Because even for five minutes, this thread doesn't go dormant.
  • SasSas
    If the next Bond will be filmed in 2024 and released in 2025, the next 007 is currently between the age of 30 and 35 I think. 35 + 3 = the same age of Daniel Craig during his debut as James Bond. I don't think they will go for someone older because the long commitment. In summary, they're looking for a British male actor between 30 and 35 years old. How many actors fit that description? It should be possible to make a list. We're not looking for extras but for actors who had leading roles or proper supporting roles.
  • No one is crazy enough to do it.
  • SasSas
    edited October 2022 Posts: 50
    Sas wrote: »
    If the next Bond will be filmed in 2024 and released in 2025, the next 007 is currently between the age of 30 and 35 I think. 35 + 3 = the same age of Daniel Craig during his debut as James Bond. I don't think they will go for someone older because the long commitment. In summary, they're looking for a British male actor between 30 and 35 years old. How many actors fit that description? It should be possible to make a list. We're not looking for extras but for actors who had leading roles or proper supporting roles.

Okay, created a list using this Wiki.

Tom Austen
    Kit Harington
    Aneurin Barnard
    Joe Dempsie
    Lloyd Everitt
    Tom Felton
    Henry Golding
    Edward Holcroft
    William Moseley
    Benjamin Stone
    Tom Stourton
    Ed Westwick
    James Buckley

Michael Socha
    Joshua Sasse
    Jamie Demetriou
    Jonathan Bailey
    Josh Bowman
    Ben Cura
    Jacob Fortune-Lloyd
    Rupert Grint
    Kevin Guthrie
    Ferdinand Kingsley
    Zackary Momoh
    Regé-Jean Page
    Luke Thompson
    Jack Whitehall

Tom Bateman
    Bart Edwards
    Matt Stokoe
    Jordan Patrick Smith
    Jamie Campbell Bower
    Joe Cole
    Alfred Enoch
    Mitch Hewer
    Daniel Kaluuya
    Malachi Kirby
    Matthew Lewis
    Thomas James Longley
    Harry Melling
    Royce Pierreson
    Daniel Radcliffe
    Matthew Beard
    Rafi Gavron
    Freddie Fox
    Max Pirkis
    Richard Fleeshman
    Will Payne
    Ben Lamb
    Hugh Mitchell
    Andrew Simpson
    Sean Rigby

Mark Rowley
    Timothy Renouf
    Tom Brittney
    Taron Egerton
    Nicholas Hoult
    Luke Pasqualino
    Elliott Tittensor
    Luke Tittensor
    Olly Alexander
    Thomas Brodie-Sangster
    Jeremy Irvine
    Jack O'Connell
    Josh O'Connor
    Dev Patel
    Himesh Patel
    Alex Pettyfer
    Dominique Provost-Chalkley
    Dominic Sherwood
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    Callum Turner
    Jack Lowden
    Alex Roe
    Andrew Ellis
    Jacob Anderson
    Harry Eden
    Luke Newberry
    Laurie Paul Calvert
    Harry McEntire
    Jassa Ahluwalia
    Dean Smith
    Billy Howle
    Sam Wilkinson
    James Baxter
    Chuku Modu

Guy Potter
    Jack Bannon
    Jamie Blackley
    Joe Alwyn
    Joey Batey
    Ben Hardy
    Damson Idris
    Martins Imhangbe
    Danny Miller
    Nico Mirallegro
    Craig Roberts
    Sope Dirisu
    Jack McMullen
    Frank Dillane
    Max Lloyd-Jones
    Matt Kane
    Tommy Bastow
    Danny Hatchard
    George Webster
    David Witts
    Toby Regbo
    Bradley Hall
    Rishi Nair
    Harry Cook

Phil Dunster
    Douglas Booth
    John Boyega
    Tosin Cole
    Hugh Coles
    Ncuti Gatwa
    Freddie Highmore
    Brad Kavanagh
    Lucien Laviscount
    George MacKay
    Eugene Simon
    Gregg Sulkin
    Sean Teale
    Jordan Waller
    Jonno Davies
    Charley Palmer Rothwell
    Lucien Laviscount
    Parry Glasspool
    Daniel Portman
    Alex Boxall
    Edd Osmond
    Barry Keoghan
    Joel MacCormack

Let me know if I forgot a British actor.

Kit Harington
    Lloyd Everitt
    Tom Felton
    Henry Golding
    Edward Holcroft
    William Moseley
    Benjamin Stone
    Tom Stourton
    Ed Westwick

Jamie Demetriou
    Jonathan Bailey
    Josh Bowman
    Ben Cura
    Jacob Fortune-Lloyd
    Rupert Grint
    Kevin Guthrie
    Ferdinand Kingsley
    Zackary Momoh
    Regé-Jean Page
    Luke Thompson
    Jack Whitehall

Jamie Campbell Bower
    Joe Cole
    Alfred Enoch
    Mitch Hewer
    Daniel Kaluuya
    Malachi Kirby
    Matthew Lewis
    Thomas James Longley
    Harry Melling
    Royce Pierreson
    Daniel Radcliffe

Taron Egerton
    Nicholas Hoult
    Luke Pasqualino
    Elliott Tittensor
    Luke Tittensor
    Olly Alexander
    Thomas Brodie-Sangster
    Jeremy Irvine
    Jack O'Connell
    Josh O'Connor
    Dev Patel
    Himesh Patel
    Alex Pettyfer
    Dominic Sherwood
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    Callum Turner

Joe Alwyn
    Joey Batey
    Ben Hardy
    Damson Idris
    Martins Imhangbe
    Danny Miller
    Nico Mirallegro
    Craig Roberts

Douglas Booth
    John Boyega
    Tosin Cole
    Hugh Coles
    Ncuti Gatwa
    Freddie Highmore
    Brad Kavanagh
    George MacKay
    Eugene Simon
    Gregg Sulkin
    Sean Teale
    Jordan Waller

VERY impressive ! I note it includes Freddie Highmore...warning for those who may be awfully quick to pounce and complain, that the following is a joke, and that you must be familiar with Mr. Highmore's roles in order to get it. Ok - here it comes: Do you really think he could be THAT lucky TWICE in his life ?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I respect people's opinions on the matter, but it is hard for me to see why anyone would want Nic Hoult as Bond... he's a fantastic actor, and he's British... but he comes across like a very young man. There are a lot of years for an actor to settle into the part of Bond, but Hoult's youth doesn't seem like something that will go away with time...
    As above, I try to imagine him seducing Monica Bellucci, and just failing miserably. He's a boy.

I think having an actor like Hoult seducing Monica Bellucci is an unfair comparison though. There's a huge age difference. It would seem awkward.
    Pairing him to an actress closer to his own age, would be better. I agree he does have very youthful 'boyish' looks, but he has still got potential. He's known too international audiences, isn't connected to a major franchise. Can act.
    He does tick a lot of the right boxes. I think we're looking for the perfect person here, but in reality, even the best actors are going to have flaws. If he's a little young looking I can let that pass. If he talks with a strong Geordie accent, then it would bother me.

I mean, sure, I suppose one way to make Hoult work is to fill the movie with children… ;)

I’m of course joking, and I see your point.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Barbara and Michael will be watching this SAS Rogue Heroes that has just started with interest me thinks.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes definitely. I thought that O'Connell was excellent even in his relatively small amount of screentime so far.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Agreed, as was Connor Swindells I felt. I'd never seen him in anything before but thought he had an interesting screen presence.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2022 Posts: 14,957
    I was just reading some reviews and this interview popped up:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/sas-rogue-heroes-star-jack-oconnell-society-wants-lock-lads/

O’Connell has resisted major movie franchises so far, but doesn’t rule out joining one in the future. Is it time for a working-class Bond? “Sure, why not,” he says, before adding, “I think Daniel Craig is technically working class… Oh, I don’t want to get into this.”
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Agreed, as was Connor Swindells I felt. I'd never seen him in anything before but thought he had an interesting screen presence.

Yes, they're all very good. I don't know if I can see Bond potential in him just yet as the role is such an odd one, but maybe.
    peter wrote: »
    He ticks all of the boxes for me: he screams alpha. Oozes sex appeal. Has style. Physical menace. Athletic prowess. Strong voice. Stronger presence.
    Yes: this is exactly what I'd want to see in the next Bond, too.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Kit Harington
    Aneurin Barnard
    Joe Dempsie
    Lloyd Everitt
    Tom Felton
    Henry Golding
    Edward Holcroft
    William Moseley
    Benjamin Stone
    Tom Stourton
    Ed Westwick

Jamie Demetriou
    Jonathan Bailey
    Josh Bowman
    Ben Cura
    Jacob Fortune-Lloyd
    Rupert Grint
    Kevin Guthrie
    Ferdinand Kingsley
    Zackary Momoh
    Regé-Jean Page
    Luke Thompson
    Jack Whitehall

Jamie Campbell Bower
    Joe Cole
    Alfred Enoch
    Mitch Hewer
    Daniel Kaluuya
    Malachi Kirby
    Matthew Lewis
    Thomas James Longley
    Harry Melling
    Royce Pierreson
    Daniel Radcliffe

Taron Egerton
    Nicholas Hoult
    Luke Pasqualino
    Elliott Tittensor
    Luke Tittensor
    Olly Alexander
    Thomas Brodie-Sangster
    Jeremy Irvine
    Jack O'Connell
    Josh O'Connor
    Dev Patel
    Himesh Patel
    Alex Pettyfer
    Dominic Sherwood
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson
    Callum Turner

Joe Alwyn
    Joey Batey
    Ben Hardy
    Damson Idris
    Martins Imhangbe
    Danny Miller
    Nico Mirallegro
    Craig Roberts

Douglas Booth
    John Boyega
    Tosin Cole
    Hugh Coles
    Ncuti Gatwa
    Freddie Highmore
    Brad Kavanagh
    Lucien Laviscount
    George MacKay
    Eugene Simon
    Gregg Sulkin
    Sean Teale
    Jordan Waller

Sope Dirisu - 31