The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited October 2022 Posts: 23,104
    6de02f00609e5b5ece7403d73348173c.jpg

I watched the The Howling 1981 last night directed by Joe Dante, its one of the few films that genuinely scared me as kid. Rick Bakers effects still stand up today as some of the best in the genre. I am going to seek out the second film its been a long time since I watched it, all I remember is Sybil Danning is in a prominent role lol I am pretty sure Christopher Lee is in the sequel also.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I just watched Society (1989) for the first time and holy cow, this was my exact cup of tea! While I didn’t take any of the fantastical imagery and content at face value, the practical effects were absolutely marvelous and a brilliant way to disgustingly illustrate the “rich sucking the poor” so to speak. It was like Eyes Wide Shut meets The Thing. Paranoia-soaked, entertainingly acted, constantly intriguing. I loved everything about it!

Yeah, Yuzna had interesting ideas back then. It's a weird film that I really like. 😉
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Fede Alvarez did a sterling job reimagining Evil Dead. I really didn't think Evil Dead could work, either without Bruce Campbell or in the age of CGI, and Alvarez proved me wrong on both counts.

Absolutely correct. It's a genuinely frightening film with a stellar score and a powerful premise. Fede gives me hopes.

What I like best about him is his devotion to practical effects.

Which will no doubt be a good thing for a TCM film. That said, Fede won't direct. All will depend on how hands-on a writer-producer he'll be.

I see. Hopefully his sensibilities guide things in the right direction.

Otherwise, I'm pulling out my chainsaw, Necronomicon and awesome chin! Wait... no, that's another series. ;-)

Seriously, though, this is how I rank the TCM films:

THE GOOD
    TCM'74
    TCM'03
    TCM The Beginning

THE OKAY
    TCM 3
    TCM TNG

THE BAD
    TCM 2
    TCM 3D
    Leatherface

I watched the The Howling 1981 last night directed by Joe Dante, its one of the few films that genuinely scared me as kid. Rick Bakers effects still stand up today as some of the best in the genre. I am going to seek out the second film its been a long time since I watched it, all I remember is Sybil Danning is in a prominent role lol I am pretty sure Christopher Lee is in the sequel also.

A great horror movie. It unfortunately got overshadowed by John Landis's 'An American Werewolf in London' which is superior,but Dantes movie is very entertaining!
  • redherringredherring Netherlands
    Hope we'll get a release date for the Fall of the House of Usher miniseries soon. Although it could never do justice to the genius that was Vincent Price.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Fede Alvarez did a sterling job reimagining Evil Dead. I really didn't think Evil Dead could work, either without Bruce Campbell or in the age of CGI, and Alvarez proved me wrong on both counts.

Absolutely correct. It's a genuinely frightening film with a stellar score and a powerful premise. Fede gives me hopes.

Which will no doubt be a good thing for a TCM film. That said, Fede won't direct. All will depend on how hands-on a writer-producer he'll be.

Otherwise, I'm pulling out my chainsaw, Necronomicon and awesome chin! Wait... no, that's another series. ;-)

THE GOOD
    TCM'74
    TCM'03
    TCM The Beginning

THE OKAY
    TCM 3
    TCM TNG

THE BAD
    TCM 2
    TCM 3D
    Leatherface

A great horror movie. It unfortunately got overshadowed by John Landis's 'An American Werewolf in London' which is superior,but Dantes movie is very entertaining!

Agree An American Werewolf in London is the better film, it has great character moments and the sound design is phenomenal especially during the subway scenes. A lot of the terror comes when you cannot see the werewolf.

THE GOOD
    TCM'74
    TCM'03
    TCM The Beginning

THE OKAY
    TCM 3
    TCM TNG

THE BAD
    TCM 2
    TCM 3D
    Leatherface

Agree An American Werewolf in London is the better film, it has great character moments and the sound design is phenomenal especially during the subway scenes. A lot of the terror comes when you cannot see the werewolf.

Agreed, though i do love that moment in the subway when the Werewolf just creeps into shot at the top of rhe screen as the victim is on the escalator......and that transformation sequence is still amazing today in the era of cgi!

THE GOOD
    TCM'74
    TCM'03
    TCM The Beginning

THE OKAY
    TCM 3
    TCM TNG

THE BAD
    TCM 2
    TCM 3D
    Leatherface

Agreed, though i do love that moment in the subway when the Werewolf just creeps into shot at the top of rhe screen as the victim is on the escalator......and that transformation sequence is still amazing today in the era of cgi!

Such a great soundtrack also, the music played during the transformation (Blue Moon - Sam Cooke) juxtaposes the absolute horror David is going through which makes it all the more effective.
    ---
    I have Halloween off this year so decided to make an effort and will try to watch three horror movies on Monday.

The first on the list is Doctor Sleep the Extended Version, I bought the film ages ago and still not watched it. Perhaps I should do a Shining Double Bill and watch Kubricks Masterpiece before it.

Third choice will likely be a Scream movie or a Halloween movie, maybe H20, H20 is one of my favorites from the series.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    i do love that moment in the subway when the Werewolf just creeps into shot at the top of rhe screen as the victim is on the escalator...
    Same - classic shot!

As it is nearly All Hallows Eve..

World class production. Vincent Price's narration is amazing.

This happened in a alternate reality...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Happy Halloween, everyone! The best holiday of the year is finally here.

312554523_5777720212266655_732962460446398087_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p180x540&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=3ZhcSbZ3HzQAX-BucyT&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AfDjyVYi2E0Urh4pFL5_xs5OY66K_eckbtwED0Ri_FSrhA&oe=6363C49D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Happy Halloween, everyone! I have my favourite horror movie ready for tonight: Showgirls.
    I had to buy the Showgirls soundtrack cd because there were Banshees and Killing Joke songs on it that weren't available anywhere else!
    Happy Halloween
    mg]
    Venutius wrote: »
    I had to buy the Showgirls soundtrack cd because there were Banshees and Killing Joke songs on it that weren't available anywhere else!

You are a courageous man, sir. I bow before thee.
    Happy Halloween indeed, my favorite day of the year. It's bittersweet always ending this month, because it goes on a high but of course it's always over too fast. Anyone have special movies or other plans for tonight? I'm thinking John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) for myself this year, perhaps a Friday the 13th film or something as well.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Happy Halloween! I'll be watching Spectre tonight; fun costumes, and some of the creative decisions... downright terrifying. ;)
    If any of these classic Sam Neill horror films that I've never seen but really want to suddenly become available for streaming:
    • Event Horizon
    • In The Mouth Of Madness
    • Possession
    Then I might watch one of those instead.
    One hell of a Horror movie is on FILM4 currently, Ghostbusters 2016.
    Peacock has ordered a Friday the 13th prequel series called Crystal Lake:

https://deadline.com/2022/10/friday-the-13th-prequel-series-crystal-lake-peacock-bryan-fuller-1235159279/
    Creasy47 wrote: »

https://deadline.com/2022/10/friday-the-13th-prequel-series-crystal-lake-peacock-bryan-fuller-1235159279/

Great! Good news.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I hope it is set in the 60's/70's.
    Just watched 'An American Werewolf in London' for the night that's in it! Great movie!
  • Happy Halloween! I'll be watching Spectre tonight; fun costumes, and some of the creative decisions... downright terrifying. ;)
    If any of these classic Sam Neill horror films that I've never seen but really want to suddenly become available for streaming:
    • Event Horizon
    • Possession

You'll probably have the most fun with one of the first two...and the most pure outright horror with the third. All great choices though. Spectre of course is quite appropriate for the eve of Dios de los Muertos.

:)) I still carry the scars...

I'm happy to admit that I really like Showgirls for all the wrong reasons. ;-)
    Happy Halloween! I'll be watching Spectre tonight; fun costumes, and some of the creative decisions... downright terrifying. ;)
    • Event Horizon
    • Possession

You'll probably have the most fun with one of the first two...and the most pure outright horror with the third. All great choices though. Spectre of course is quite appropriate for the eve of Dios de los Muertos.

Thanks for the info! The first two are the only ones I'm really interested in anyways... I was just surprised that Sam Neill horror films I'd never heard of kept cropping up!

I'm happy to admit that I really like Showgirls for all the wrong reasons. ;-)

Yes, it's definitely one of those! :D
    edited November 2022 Posts: 40,372
    Lupita Nyong'o to star in the spin-off for A Quiet Place:

https://deadline.com/2022/11/a-quiet-place-day-one-paramount-lupita-nyongo-1235159475/
  • Happy Halloween! I'll be watching Spectre tonight; fun costumes, and some of the creative decisions... downright terrifying. ;)
    • Event Horizon
    • Possession

Thanks for the info! The first two are the only ones I'm really interested in anyways... I was just surprised that Sam Neill horror films I'd never heard of kept cropping up!

He also did the vampire sci-fi flick Daybreakers and, while I haven't seen it, a horror-thriller with Nicole Kidman and Billy Zane called Dead Calm. Since I'd always known him simply from Jurassic Park, I too was surprised to find he had such an affinity for starring in horror.
    Ah yeah Daybreakers, I haven't seen that one either.

I really want to watch the first two on my list because I'm really into cosmic horror type stuff. Also Mouth of Madness feels very Stephen King-esque and I'm a huge fan of his.