The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    First honorary RN Commander and now a CMG, we might as well just hand him a PPK and let him loose. 😂

• HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Provided that he doesn't meet his arch nemesis, the iPad ring light...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,496
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    First honorary RN Commander and now a CMG, we might as well just hand him a PPK and let him loose. 😂

Oh bless, he looks so happy.

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

It would be a good meta comedy to have Craig in a film playing himself, Daniel Craig, who is an actor who plays James Bond, in one way or another thrust into an actual mission of international espionage and intrigue.

Like, because of his honourary Commander status, someone in the navy makes a typo somewhere and Craig is actually deployed on a mission... I don't know.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Congratulations to Daniel.
  • First honorary RN Commander and now a CMG, we might as well just hand him a PPK and let him loose. 😂

It would be a good meta comedy to have Craig in a film playing himself, Daniel Craig, who is an actor who plays James Bond, in one way or another thrust into an actual mission of international espionage and intrigue.

Like, because of his honourary Commander status, someone in the navy makes a typo somewhere and Craig is actually deployed on a mission... I don't know.

That would be fucking hilarious, pure gold. Daniel is a really good comedy actor, he is great in all the sketches I've seen him in. THIS MUST FUCKING HAPPEN if Bond 26 is going to take forever.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526

That would be fucking hilarious, pure gold. Daniel is a really good comedy actor, he is great in all the sketches I've seen him in. THIS MUST FUCKING HAPPEN if Bond 26 is going to take forever.

The beginning can have the standard gunbarrel, but then the director yells "CUT!" and it transitions to them just filming the gunbarrel for the latest Bond film and... take it from there. :P

I had a similar idea ages ago where Britain enters some conflict with another country, and something goes wrong with their military, and turns out there's some ancient clause somewhere (details shmetails) that forces all the celebrities they've knighted over the years like Sir Ian McKellan, Sir Elton John, Dame Judi Dench etc to have to suit up as actual knights and fight the war.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?

So basically a Bond version of The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent?

I’m down for that 😂
  • AMAZON PUSH FOR THIS
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Congratulations Commander
    I saw a couple of photos of Daniel in a article recently and I was shocked that they were from the Spectre Premiere. No offence to him but Daniel looked better at the premiere than he had done in the film.
    I know he had his injury and couldn't train as often or as intensely as he normally does during SP. Such a shame we didn't get a film out in 2017/18.

Daniel-Craig-attending-the-World-Premiere-of-Spectre-held-at-the-Royal-Albert-Hall-in-London.jpg

daniel-craig1-1445895097-view-0.jpg
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Agreed, Jordo. I thought Dan looked better in the various chat show appearances for SP than he did in the film too!
  • Clothes are not as tight fitting and hair is longer/more relaxed
    Yeah, you're right @Jordo007 Craig also looks better in most Bond ads than he does in most of his Bond films. Spotting fuller hair and even having the comma. But once he's shooting Bond, that look is all gone. Makes me think it's got to be deliberate. Well, it didn't affect his ultra-stellar performance as 007, though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He looks best with more “relaxed” hair; it’s neat here but not overly slicked down as he is prone to do at formal functions.
  • StarkStark France
    Even in Spectre where he was injured I find him in good shape and credible in the role. Roger Moore in A View to a Kill is the only time Bond is not credible.
    Craig always looked credible and he looked great in SP - it's just that he looked even better during the promotional rounds for it.
    Venutius wrote: »
    Craig always looked credible and he looked great in SP - it's just that he looked even better during the promotional rounds for it.

I agree, he looked more than capable throughout his tenure.
    talos7 wrote: »

I agree, he looked more than capable throughout his tenure.

Agreed as well.
    I avoided seeing the premiere, because I was petrified of spoilers, so I saw Spectre before I'd saw the premiere.

I remember driving home after SP and saying to my girlfriend, "I think Daniel is done", given the ending, throwing the gun away and I thought in parts of the film he looked visibly older. So maybe he wanted to bow out before he got too old

The next day I saw the interviews from the premiere and saw how young and happy he looked, I thought wow he looks ready to do another two films at least.

I'll always wish we would have got the Blofeld trilogy to end the Craig era, I think they were setting that up. Shame about the injuries and delays
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'll always wish we would have got the Blofeld trilogy to end the Craig era, I think they were setting that up. Shame about the injuries and delays
    How great would that have been? Answer: great! :D

With the Craig era being a self contained entity, EON has the perfect opportunity to break with the “ one film at a time “ mold and carefully map out a story arc.
    Ideally it would have concluded with a an epic showdown between Bond and Blofeld.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wish they would've saved Blofeld and co. for the next era, so then we could've gotten an actual, proper arc instead of introducing him and killing him off the very next film. I wouldn't mind seeing that sort of thing built up once more over an entire era, with a gigantic army-on-army battle in the final installment as Bond goes up against Blofeld. The series could use another one of those.
    D

With the Craig era being a self contained entity, EON has the perfect opportunity to break with the “ one film at a time “ mold and carefully map out a story arc.
    Ideally it would have concluded with a an epic showdown between Bond and Blofeld.

Yes, yes, and yes. Would have loved if they’d taken this route.

Yeah absolutely mate.
    I thought in 2014 it would have been the perfect opportunity to map out an epic trilogy to end on. They didn't have to relate to the previous films, aside from maybe Spectre taking over Quantum. Or at a stretch have Mr White be Number 1 being the bridge to link them together.

Like @Creasy47 said I wished they'd kept in a drawer looking how it played out now in hindsight. The producers should have sat Daniel down and said we want to an epic Blofeld trilogy, but you need to sign up to 3 more films, if not we'll do a stand alone or wrap up Quantum instead.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I watched a few of his films recently again and I thought he was better in Spectre than he was in QoS. I certainly enjoyed Sp more.
    It's been awhile since I've watched SP, a favourite of mine. I watched QoS recently, and then CR more recently... I'll have to do my reverse NTTD - SP double bill soon I think.
    I would have liked to have seen SPECTRE end at Blofeld’s crater with Special Forces joining Bond in battling SPECTRE forces. Following this , Bond and Swann are unwinding in a luxurious location when they are confronted by a revenge seeking, metal neck brace wearing Mr. Hinx. An epic battle ensues, Hinx is ultimately defeated and the two get back to enjoying each other’s company.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I would have liked to have seen SPECTRE end at Blofeld’s crater with Special Forces joining Bond in battling SPECTRE forces. Following this , Bond and Swann are unwinding in a luxurious location when they are confronted by a revenge seeking, metal neck brace wearing Mr. Hinx. An epic battle ensues, Hinx is ultimately defeated and the two get back to enjoying each other’s company.

That would've improved upon SP heavily for me, not just Hinx returning for one last, nasty fight but particularly that luxurious crater setting the stage for the finale. We should've gotten a DN-like dinner sequence or something that let us enjoy the interiors a bit more too. That London finale is so incredibly weak to me and holds virtually no excitement or intrigue.