The (non-Bond) films of PIERCE BROSNAN

124»

Comments

Since62 wrote: »
    And YES ! Relax and get a life !

My God man, calm down.

Have you not read the stuff some people post ? I am not a troll, but were I so inclined, all I'd have had to do would have been to leave off my qualifiers and the nonsense would have rolled in.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    Pierce wrapping up filming on The Last Rifleman:

296761608_609095887238363_5995371466973682587_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Uth5-weehOYAX_mrPVg&_nc_oc=AQn1l6SNhDv8rcrNrhZtd2sefT-ffRbSlN_cRXEXoVprZeabZ-aso6XVeRMKmJlM7vc&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-2.xx&oh=00_AT-mBoSeXNqkqk-dMtMOD731Qy2jyNW4LEroxbbFEPFqNg&oe=62F44E30

Good heavens ! Goes to show ya - good makeup, hairstyling and lighting can help a person appear much younger.

...and for those who would jump all over this comment - and this website shows there are MANY of those - YES ! It's a joke ! YES ! I am quite certain that in the picture taken PB is made up to look older than his own actual age. And YES ! Relax and get a life !

I'm not sure what the insinuation behind "this website shows there are MANY of those" is. It's a weird comment to make anyway, like you're getting ahead of controversy that isn't coming or outrage that doesn't exist.

Not an "insinuation." Rather, a simple observation.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    Some people here have voiced their disappointment about Live Wire, but at least this scene is a hoot...

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I thoroughly enjoyed 'Live Wire' on a rewatch this year. It's complete cheese at times and inexplicable in so many ways, but damn, if it isn't entertaining.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    There's a Live Wire watchalong on Twitter if anyone fancies it. Monday 17 October, 7:15pm UK time: https://lockdowntransmissions.wordpress.com/2022/10/12/covideo-angela-lansbury-edition/

Join in with hashtag #COVIDEOMon.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 4,400
    I recently had a Pierce Brosnan marathon (a Brosanathon if you will). In the most part, his career hasn't been overly stellar post-Bond. I would say my biggest takeaway was that Brosnan actually did his best work in his career as 007. What do we think?

I started with The Misfits, which I saw pop up on Amazon (I was also aware of some toxic reviews). So naturally I gave it a watch. It isn't so bad - I mean, it's perfectly watchable (despite it being pretty unremarkable and easy to forget) in an outdated 90's throwback vein. At worst, it can be cringeworthy, tone deaf and offensive. I suppose the movie is aiming to be a blend of Ocean's 11 (it's not half as witty or slick) and the Fast & Furious (as dumb but not as enjoyable). Jamie Chung is the real standout, but Nick Cannon torpedoes the film. Also, I'm convinced this film must have been paid for by the Abu Dhabi tourist board (it would make a stunning 007 location). I liked Brosnan's performance - his charisma just about carries the film. Broz's arc as an old grifter having to reconnect with his daughter (Hermione Corfield, who is beautiful but sadly no actress) could have made a good movie in its own right. His supposed romantic spark is waning though and Broz is looking a little more like Jeremy Clarkson than usual. He even sneaks in a homage to Roger Moore....

9JnfP7t.png

Up next was A Long Way Down. This is a misjudged film that never feels believable. The subject matter was perhaps not the best one for a quirky Richard Curtis-esque comedy. I recently watched Birdman again and that film's handling of suicide was far more poetic and elegiac. This film's handling of depression feels like the greeting-card alternative. Pierce Brosnan in Richard Madeley mode has its appeal. However, he recedes from the movie after the opening scene (though he has a fantastic line reading in the penultimate moments alongside Aaron Paul). Imogen Poots is kinda annoying, but eventually wins you over with her overcooked eccentricity (Queen Pixie of the Manic Dreamgirl Brigade). In the end it is actually Toni Collette who makes the deepest impression. Otherwise, the chief pleasure of this film is seeing Pierce Brosnan reteam with DAD's Rosamund Pike to play British morning show hosts.

GMvAuhC.png

The Love Punch probably isn't a film made for me. Its main demographic would appear to be retired, middle class couples living in the home counties. Essentially, the film is an episode of Chucklevision for the 60+ crowd. Though there are certainly some charms on display. In particular, Brosnan and Emma Thompson who have such likeable and winning chemistry. I'd watch them team up for a sequel or another project. So...is this a good film? Probably not. However, it works as a piece of good-natured lightweight entertainment. Also, Pierce looks as handsome as ever. I particularly adored his attire in an early scene which has him sipping a martini (DC didn't look this good in NTTD).

SPaNDPg.jpg

Next up was Survivor. This is a clunker. The poster promised that this would be a solid B-Movie. However, the truth is quite the opposite. The storytelling is nonsensical and the characters are threadbare at best. The notion of Brosnan playing a cold assassin is exciting - but this film doesn't live up to that promise. The most interesting thing about his character is the moustache that keeps disappearing between scenes. In any case, this is a very handsomely made film. Clearly the filmmakers have watched Skyfall and have attempted to replicate that film's visual style (there's even a shot which directly rips off the Shanghai fight). Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rege-Jean Page cameo in the film. If he is cast as the new Bond, would this be the first occasion that two Bond actors have co-starred in a film?

gOvpVok.png

I think you've managed to pick some of the worst of his post-Bond output, to be fair. There's many, many films that are better than these. There's also a couple that are worse though, to be fair!

I quite enjoy Brosnan's post-Bond films. Okay they mostly amount to disposal 90 minute films. However, they are usually untaxing and modestly entertaining affairs. Would I like to see Brosnan push himself out his comfort zone? Sure! Though who doesn't enjoy seeing Pierce coining in on his smoothy persona on a Sunday afternoon?

On that note, I watched another batch of Brosnan films recently....

@Creasy47 inspired me to watch Some Kind of Beautiful. I was a little scared as the critics destroyed this film, so perhaps this is embarrassing to admit......I really liked it. It's a lighthearted and frothy romcom with some very pleasant performances. In fact, I would say this is one of the best performances I've seen from Pierce. He plays a womanising English professor who can’t talk to a lady without checking them out as they walk away. So, obviously he's perfectly cast. The material plays to his strengths and Brosnan's trademark charm is more relaxed and endearing here. Brosnan is never all too convincing when he's playing the 'stone cold killers'. He's always been far more entertaining and charismatic in more genial romcoms. The cast all look beautiful and the film is handsomely photographed (by DAD's David Tattersall). I fell a bit in love with the effortlessly charismatic Salma Hayek. Sure, the film has a sitcom-level story that can be cringeworthy (including an ill-judged detour into people-trafficking), but I did chuckle and smile throughout. I suppose I'm a philistine. Who cares, just look how pretty they are 😍😍😍

69kTX52_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

...Speaking of which, I watched Brosnan back in 'stone cold killer' mode in the very disposable Butterfly on a Wheel. I spent most of the first half trying to figure out if he was doing an Irish or American accent (I decided it was likely the former but the jury's still out). I wouldn't say he gives one of his better performances. This is ultimately a mediocre thriller where the twists are telegraphed early on. Often the characters' actions are dictated by plot rather than logic. The most interesting thing is that it reminded me of 1997's The Game and even (oddly enough) The Dark Knight. Maybe that is due to the Chicago setting, but Brosnan is basically playing the Joker here. He's a cold, menacing villain who seemingly has no motivation for the sadistic games he plays. He just wants to watch the world burn. Well, at least until the melodramatic finale.

BVAdfZn.png

All the ingredients were there in The Ghost Writer for an engrossing political thriller: corruption in the highest places and a cast of suspicious characters. The lack of any real action or thrills are laid bare in what amounts to a rather workmanlike and anonymous film from Roman Polanski. The pace picks up in the second half, but most of the big reveals are telegraphed early on. For a political pulp thriller, this is rather bland stuff. Though I did enjoy the ambiguity and cynicism of the second half of the film. The final scene in particular is very strong. Brosnan nails the politician’s arrogance perfectly as well as the duplicity lurking so close under the surface. The role plays well to that unctuous and sleazy persona he tends to embody in film. It's a shame he isn't in it more as Ewan McGregor's leading performance is as flat as a pancake in comparison. Kim Cattrall is awful. Meanwhile, Olivia Williams gives the best performance here, adopting subtle hints of Lady Macbeth. The more interesting aspects of the film are it's real world parallels to 2000's politics and Polanski's personal life.

m3FJKx0.png

I also enjoyed Pierce's villainous cameo in The World's End, where he is at his typically suave and slinky best. The film is made more enjoyable as I used to live in the town of Letchworth where it was filmed and saw some of it being made. I may have also watched Cinderella...😅 It falls squarely in the 'good bad film' category. It's cringeworthy but not without its charm. Brosnan's performance suits the tone of the picture. That tone being a tacky panto staged in a parochial British town. He does prove an outrageous scene-stealer and we do get gems like this:

6d94a9e9cb5cc4f0de9e46d15e33108c124ff2fe.gifv
    edited January 2023 Posts: 40,448
    That Cinderella film ranks among one of the worst pieces of waste I've ever seen in my life. Brosnan seemed like he was having fun, though, and even appeared to poke fun at his own singing abilities toward the end there.
    @Creasy47 inspired me to watch Some Kind of Beautiful. I was a little scared as the critics destroyed this film, so perhaps this is embarrassing to admit......I really liked it.

a.k.a. Lessons in Love? I found this one super skeevy, but Netflix didn't help matters by providing the following summary:

Dm7FDC2W0AgR4Y1.jpg
    edited February 2023 Posts: 40,448
    I miss those Netflix ratings instead of the generic thumbs up/thumbs down option. They were way more helpful in weeding out the garbage (like how the Top 10 really just encompasses the 10 latest films/series and isn't remotely indicative of quality). One of many reasons I abandoned the app some months back.
    @Creasy47

Have you seen The Disappearance of Kevin Johnson? If so, did you like it?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @Creasy47

It was a real pain in the ass to locate but I did, and I actually loved it surprisingly! Gave it 4/5 stars in my Letterboxd review. I had no expectations for it but it was a fresh, fictional take on the mockumentary genre and all the actors involved played themselves incredibly well, Pierce included.
    @Creasy47

It was a real pain in the ass to locate but I did, and I actually loved it surprisingly! Gave it 4/5 stars in my Letterboxd review. I had no expectations for it but it was a fresh, fictional take on the mockumentary genre and all the actors involved played themselves incredibly well, Pierce included.

That's good. I'll consider watching it then, if I can find it. It's a reunion between Pierce and Taffin's Francis Megahy.
    @Creasy47

That's good. I'll consider watching it then, if I can find it. It's a reunion between Pierce and Taffin's Francis Megahy.

I enjoyed that prospect too, even though they don't share any scenes together.
    I had another Brosnan binge....

Pierce Brosnan starring in an A24 horror film? Sign me up! I was not disappointed with False Positive. This is great psychological horror where expectant motherhood turns increasingly to paranoia, delusions then to terror. It is an inspired idea to make a horror film about prenatal depression and pregnancy. This film is expertly crafted, with the photography and sound design being particularly impressive. It is also well-acted by a strong ensemble. Brosnan is deliciously diabolical, albeit mostly while maintaining a veneer of warmth. His character has a suavely reassuring manner and a God complex. However, the film fails to nail the landing and throws numerous twists at the wall. Eventually it runs out of steam and cannot sell the weird giallo finale. I was still impressed by the decision to take a big swing. Nonetheless, this is one of Brosnan’s strongest performances and best films.

ZxYZVvu.png

Final Score is yet another Die Hard knockoff. However, it is more entertaining than it has any right to be. The film is an over-the-top ride that doesn’t even try to be credible. Brosnan’s role is basically an extended cameo. I wonder who thought it was a good idea to cast him as a Russian gangster. Whilst his accent is unconvincing, he does sport a very dashing beard. The best moment in the film is an extended fight sequence between Dave Bautista and Martyn Ford (who was a finalist for the Hinx role and was born to play a Bond henchman). Meanwhile, Bautista makes Final Score worth watching. It's a shame his Hinx character didn't come back in NTTD.....

g24e2bL.png

Another film where Brosnan makes a cameo appearance is No Escape. This is technically accomplished, grittily propulsive filmmaking with solid performances. It does a good job with the elemental ingredients of ever-present threat and sporadically graphic violence. I feel that Brosnan's character (a washed-up, eccentric spy with a cockney accent) was added to the film to entice financiers to pony up the budget. He adds nothing to the story, though does look cool with a gun. Nevertheless I enjoyed his sleazy performance.

rf2N2l7.png

Finally....Black Adam is a mind-numbing mishmash of recycled superhero clichés. It shamelessly pilfers from other blockbusters, resulting in a disjointed mess that lacks any semblance of originality. I couldn't help but chuckle at its lame attempts to add any flair. The convoluted plot, involving wizards and absurd evil crowns, is a tedious borefest. The visuals are muddy and the CGI overwhelms the screen, leaving little room for genuine artistry. Even the usually charismatic Dwayne Johnson falls flat, sleepwalking through his role. The supporting cast is uniformly terrible, except for Pierce Brosnan, who manages to shine despite being a poor man's Doctor Strange. Plus, let's not ignore the fact that he looks a total DADDY 💕 in his superhero costume – a silver lining in this otherwise abysmal film. While Black Adam attempts some political complexity, it fails to delve deep enough, and the only other saving grace is the presence of the beautiful Sarah Shahi.

xW0H7Vj_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2023 Posts: 14,918
    Final Score is the one in a UK football stadium, yes? I must admit I've seen that (and quite enjoyed it) but, to my eternal shame, I had totally forgotten Pierce is in it! I imagine I've lost a lot of Bros-points for that...
    My favorite out of those four was No Escape. Brosnan's final sequence in it is gold.

Loved him in Black Adam too, even though that film as a whole was largely forgettable.

I hated False Positive (but dug Brosnan's sinister take in it) and wasn't crazy about Final Score. It was an interesting approach but felt very cheap and generic in a lot of ways.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2023 Posts: 2,918
    Y'know what, I've also seen Final Score and I'd also forgotten that Brosnan's in it! :-O
    I guess there's a clue there...
    Yet another Brosnan blitz....

The Netflix algorithm clearly knows that I’ve been watching too many Pierce Brosnan films, so it’s no surprise I got a notification that The Out-Laws had arrived. This is amiable stuff, being both rather watchable and a bit rubbish at the same time. The Meet the Parents set-up should/could have been a lot funnier than it sadly is. The pinnacle of wit in The Out-Laws? You guessed it — the title. As for the jokes, well, they aim for the lowest common denominator (this is real juvenile, toilet humour which isn’t for me at all). Adam Devine is an annoying lead. Brosnan attempts to send-up his most sleek and suave action man image. They try to make him look ‘cool’ with his weird moustache, leather jackets, eccentric sunglasses and skinny jeans. He's trying too hard. Though he is entertaining with his forced Irish accent. The rest of the cast are going through the motions. Ultimately, this lacklustre Netflix comedy will soon join the forgotten ranks of yesterday's cat videos.

wAlzSR2.png

Next up was I.T., a hi-tech, low-IQ thriller that wholeheartedly embraces its naffness. It doesn't aspire to greatness, and that's perfectly fine because it comfortably meets its own low expectations. As a diverting thriller, it maintains a decent pace and offers some entertainment, though it falls short of being truly remarkable. There's a glimmer of potential in the tech angle, envisioning Mr. Robot as a malevolent hacker. However, it regrettably succumbs to clichéd tropes. The antagonist is your standard tall, pale oddball, occupying a 'Matrix'-inspired lair where he frenziedly types in front of glitch-ridden screens. I.T. could have been edgier, but its depiction of the internet as a series of neon tubes felt outdated even upon its release. The most intriguing aspect is how sadistically the villain torments a mother and her daughter. It's clear the director aimed to emulate the style and tone of David Fincher. While 'I.T.' falls short of that lofty mark, it does offer Pierce Brosnan a platform, once again sporting a forced Irish accent (which has practically become a sub-genre in his filmography). He excels as the authoritative and resolute CEO he portrays here. Perhaps a 'Succession'-esque project should be on his horizon.

VKDKqVu.png

Fast Charlie is the kind of movie you’ve seen a thousand times before. It's a really bad hitman film that I am unsure is even a real movie. The film is amateurishly directed, and only starts resembling an actual film when Pierce Brosnan picks up a gun and prowls corridors. Otherwise this is a horribly put together endeavour that features numerous misjudged decisions. It is also really badly acted across the board, particularly noteworthy in this respect is Morena Baccarin. However, I did kinda buy the relationship between her and Brosnan. The best thing about their connection is what a casual slow burn it has. The ultimate saving grace is Brosnan in assassin mode which is always fun. Here he is employing a spotty Southern drawl that never proves remotely convincing in a way that somehow doesn’t matter. In fact, the accent is the star of the show, reminding me of another role played by a Bond counterpart.....

IdbdnJs.png

In Taffin, Brosnan is miscast as he embarks on an intriguing venture, aiming to emulate a Jack Reacher persona. Yet, his portrayal leans more towards GQ model than an intimidating debt enforcer. The film initiates with the promise of a hard-boiled narrative, only to veer into a mundane plot about property developers building a chemical factory. While the stakes do eventually ascend in the concluding act, the preceding scenes fail to evoke the thrill you might anticipate. Despite the lacklustre storyline, Taffin does manage to be watchable, thanks to Brosnan's screen presence. His alluring presence, complete with impeccably styled hair, a flawless visage, little hoop earring, magnificent jacket collection and a touch of rugged stubble, holds more than just your attention. It's worth watching just to see this gorgeous man for 90 minutes. Let's also not overlook Alison Doody, with her impeccable wardrobe, stunning coiffure, and enviable bone structure.

SmPeegN.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I enjoy Taffin mainly because Brosnan wears the same jacket that Christopher Eccleston wore as Doctor Who :)

I must admit, much as I do enjoy watching Brosnan, I'm not sure I can quite bring myself to watch any of those (I have seen Taffin, and it's a bizarre affair based around local playing fields, which I'm not sure is a great basis for a thriller). I may get around to Fast Charlie if it ever becomes available here, and I will certainly imagine it as a belated Taffin sequel, because that will amuse me :)

If you enjoyed Taffin and you haven't heard it, you must listen to the Smershpod episode with Adam Buxton which is devoted to it. I've listened to it a few times as it is a pretty golden bit of comedy:
    https://shows.acast.com/7c29fd12-a7d6-4459-a955-01de372c5e5b/90cdbc86-6c3f-4005-9e8b-6e6dea000184
    I'm sure I've shared it before, but please enjoy this splendid review of I.T., aka Colon Backslash Backslash i Dot t Dot Greater Than Underscore. Convinced me to watch it and I regret nothing.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    I'm sure I've shared it before, but please enjoy this splendid review of I.T., aka Colon Backslash Backslash i Dot t Dot Greater Than Underscore. Convinced me to watch it and I regret nothing.

I like the phrase "Directed, in a way, by A Good Day To Die Hard's John Moore" :D
    Picked up part 1 of the '80s Around the World in 80 Days TV series on one of those freebie Daily Mail DVDs. It's fun, and Pierce looks good as Phileas Fogg.

(Though I've never seen an adaptation as good as Around the World with Willy Fog. It led me to the book, which remains one of my favourite reads.)