The (non-Bond) films of PIERCE BROSNAN

Comments

For me, Brosnan's light comedy style did not work well in the Bond series, which had as much to do with script at PB, but I generally enjoy his performances in most everything else. Recently saw him with Emma Thompson in a jewel heist film--can't think of the name other than "Punch." It was a minor film, but enjoyable. As he has aged he has developed a natural ease and confidence that he seemed to have to work for during his earlier years.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I love Pierce Brosnan as an actor In general, he is my all time favorite actor.

I love the most his Bond type of roles where he plays the sexy leading man and his charm and sex is in full display

Examples

The Thomas Crown affair
    He was just perfect for that role and his chemistry with Rene Russo was hot.

I could say this is one of the sexiest films I ever seen and Pierce was pure perfection in it, I would dare to say he was even better than Steve McQueen in the 60s version and I liked much more the ending of the remake with Pierce and Rene.

After the sunset
    I loved seeing him with Salma in this film, another actress who was perfect for him.
    I loved the mix between a heist flick and romance.

His last scene where controls the car and Woody is lucked in there reminds so much to the scenes where Q made his demostrations to his new car.

If it was a bond movie I could have imagined woody say grow up 007

I also like when he explores his darker side in films like Butterfly on a wheel and the tailor of Panama.
    He was great in Both.

Now I also loved him as a darker action hero in The November man in the style of the taken flicks. A more serious action.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Brosnan is the only one who had a successful bunch of movies even during the his Bond-era. Something Craig desperately tries to have but fails.
    Brosnan is also the only Bond actor (after Connery) who has a successful career after Bond.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2015 Posts: 5,131
    The Thomas Crown Affair was good and suited Brozzer. The original was better.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Brosnan is the only one who had a successful bunch of movies even during the his Bond-era. Something Craig desperately tries to have but fails.
    Brosnan is also the only Bond actor (after Connery) who has a successful career after Bond.

Well I don't think Craig did so bad either.
    He was great in defiance and the girl with the dragon tattoo but yes Pierce and Connery have been the most successful out of James Bond.

And Sean is the only one with an Oscar.
    I

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Desperately tries? How? The man has done a few movies since being cast as Bond, turned down various scripts and opted to do theatre work instead to great reviews and critical acclaim. Craig is an actor's actor and he's not desperately trying to carve out some huge Hollywood career.
    Moore had a very successful career... before Bond! When he left the role he was nearly 60. He had nothing to prove anymore.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited August 2015 Posts: 9,020
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Moore had a very successful career... before Bond! When he left the role he was nearly 60. He had nothing to prove anymore.

I must apologise for that oversight. (Roger Moore eye roll) Of course I know better!

The Saint is one of my favourite TV Shows and my No 1 of the 60's.

• The November Man has just been added to British Netflix
    I recently had a Pierce Brosnan marathon (a Brosanathon if you will). In the most part, his career hasn't been overly stellar post-Bond. I would say my biggest takeaway was that Brosnan actually did his best work in his career as 007. What do we think?

I started with The Misfits, which I saw pop up on Amazon (I was also aware of some toxic reviews). So naturally I gave it a watch. It isn't so bad - I mean, it's perfectly watchable (despite it being pretty unremarkable and easy to forget) in an outdated 90's throwback vein. At worst, it can be cringeworthy, tone deaf and offensive. I suppose the movie is aiming to be a blend of Ocean's 11 (it's not half as witty or slick) and the Fast & Furious (as dumb but not as enjoyable). Jamie Chung is the real standout, but Nick Cannon torpedoes the film. Also, I'm convinced this film must have been paid for by the Abu Dhabi tourist board (it would make a stunning 007 location). I liked Brosnan's performance - his charisma just about carries the film. Broz's arc as an old grifter having to reconnect with his daughter (Hermione Corfield, who is beautiful but sadly no actress) could have made a good movie in its own right. His supposed romantic spark is waning though and Broz is looking a little more like Jeremy Clarkson than usual. He even sneaks in a homage to Roger Moore....

9JnfP7t.png

Up next was A Long Way Down. This is a misjudged film that never feels believable. The subject matter was perhaps not the best one for a quirky Richard Curtis-esque comedy. I recently watched Birdman again and that film's handling of suicide was far more poetic and elegiac. This film's handling of depression feels like the greeting-card alternative. Pierce Brosnan in Richard Madeley mode has its appeal. However, he recedes from the movie after the opening scene (though he has a fantastic line reading in the penultimate moments alongside Aaron Paul). Imogen Poots is kinda annoying, but eventually wins you over with her overcooked eccentricity (Queen Pixie of the Manic Dreamgirl Brigade). In the end it is actually Toni Collette who makes the deepest impression. Otherwise, the chief pleasure of this film is seeing Pierce Brosnan reteam with DAD's Rosamund Pike to play British morning show hosts.

GMvAuhC.png

The Love Punch probably isn't a film made for me. Its main demographic would appear to be retired, middle class couples living in the home counties. Essentially, the film is an episode of Chucklevision for the 60+ crowd. Though there are certainly some charms on display. In particular, Brosnan and Emma Thompson who have such likeable and winning chemistry. I'd watch them team up for a sequel or another project. So...is this a good film? Probably not. However, it works as a piece of good-natured lightweight entertainment. Also, Pierce looks as handsome as ever. I particularly adored his attire in an early scene which has him sipping a martini (DC didn't look this good in NTTD).

SPaNDPg.jpg

Next up was Survivor. This is a clunker. The poster promised that this would be a solid B-Movie. However, the truth is quite the opposite. The storytelling is nonsensical and the characters are threadbare at best. The notion of Brosnan playing a cold assassin is exciting - but this film doesn't live up to that promise. The most interesting thing about his character is the moustache that keeps disappearing between scenes. In any case, this is a very handsomely made film. Clearly the filmmakers have watched Skyfall and have attempted to replicate that film's visual style (there's even a shot which directly rips off the Shanghai fight). Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rege-Jean Page cameo in the film. If he is cast as the new Bond, would this be the first occasion that two Bond actors have co-starred in a film?

gOvpVok.png
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Pierce2Daniel, in terms of consistency, I'd agree that his best films were during the Bond years, or at least a couple years post-Bond when he was doing stuff like The Matador, Seraphim Falls, The November Man, etc. I've also been doing a non-Bond marathon lately of Brosnan's films, trying to catch everything I've never seen or haven't seen in a long time. Just watched The Match for the first time last night, which released the same year as TWINE, and he appears for 20 seconds in the finale to punch Richard E. Grant right in the face.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I recently had a Pierce Brosnan marathon (a Brosanathon if you will). In the most part, his career hasn't been overly stellar post-Bond. I would say my biggest takeaway was that Brosnan actually did his best work in his career as 007. What do we think?

I started with The Misfits, which I saw pop up on Amazon (I was also aware of some toxic reviews). So naturally I gave it a watch. It isn't so bad - I mean, it's perfectly watchable (despite it being pretty unremarkable and easy to forget) in an outdated 90's throwback vein. At worst, it can be cringeworthy, tone deaf and offensive. I suppose the movie is aiming to be a blend of Ocean's 11 (it's not half as witty or slick) and the Fast & Furious (as dumb but not as enjoyable). Jamie Chung is the real standout, but Nick Cannon torpedoes the film. Also, I'm convinced this film must have been paid for by the Abu Dhabi tourist board (it would make a stunning 007 location). I liked Brosnan's performance - his charisma just about carries the film. Broz's arc as an old grifter having to reconnect with his daughter (Hermione Corfield, who is beautiful but sadly no actress) could have made a good movie in its own right. His supposed romantic spark is waning though and Broz is looking a little more like Jeremy Clarkson than usual. He even sneaks in a homage to Roger Moore....

9JnfP7t.png

Up next was A Long Way Down. This is a misjudged film that never feels believable. The subject matter was perhaps not the best one for a quirky Richard Curtis-esque comedy. I recently watched Birdman again and that film's handling of suicide was far more poetic and elegiac. This film's handling of depression feels like the greeting-card alternative. Pierce Brosnan in Richard Madeley mode has its appeal. However, he recedes from the movie after the opening scene (though he has a fantastic line reading in the penultimate moments alongside Aaron Paul). Imogen Poots is kinda annoying, but eventually wins you over with her overcooked eccentricity (Queen Pixie of the Manic Dreamgirl Brigade). In the end it is actually Toni Collette who makes the deepest impression. Otherwise, the chief pleasure of this film is seeing Pierce Brosnan reteam with DAD's Rosamund Pike to play British morning show hosts.

GMvAuhC.png

The Love Punch probably isn't a film made for me. Its main demographic would appear to be retired, middle class couples living in the home counties. Essentially, the film is an episode of Chucklevision for the 60+ crowd. Though there are certainly some charms on display. In particular, Brosnan and Emma Thompson who have such likeable and winning chemistry. I'd watch them team up for a sequel or another project. So...is this a good film? Probably not. However, it works as a piece of good-natured lightweight entertainment. Also, Pierce looks as handsome as ever. I particularly adored his attire in an early scene which has him sipping a martini (DC didn't look this good in NTTD).

SPaNDPg.jpg

Next up was Survivor. This is a clunker. The poster promised that this would be a solid B-Movie. However, the truth is quite the opposite. The storytelling is nonsensical and the characters are threadbare at best. The notion of Brosnan playing a cold assassin is exciting - but this film doesn't live up to that promise. The most interesting thing about his character is the moustache that keeps disappearing between scenes. In any case, this is a very handsomely made film. Clearly the filmmakers have watched Skyfall and have attempted to replicate that film's visual style (there's even a shot which directly rips off the Shanghai fight). Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rege-Jean Page cameo in the film. If he is cast as the new Bond, would this be the first occasion that two Bond actors have co-starred in a film?

gOvpVok.png

I think you've managed to pick some of the worst of his post-Bond output, to be fair. There's many, many films that are better than these. There's also a couple that are worse though, to be fair!
    Absolutely. The Misfits is one of the worst films I've seen in general, especially within Brosnan's filmography.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    One of the things I've noticed about Broz is that he had a pretty stellar decade post-Bond, from 2004 up until about 2014. Since then it seems like he's become a semi-retired family man with less focus on regular roles (I think the only film he's been in as a prominent lead was The Foreigner, which was a really solid flick). Based on his Instagram, he seems to spend a huge amount of time smoking cigars while standing in front of a canvas painting landscapes and promoting episodes of The Son.

That's a good life, as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, that makes him taking on something like Black Adam next year all the more interesting to me, as it possibly means we'll get more big screen Brosnan.
    I'd love for this to kickstart a new resurgence for Brosnan, where we see him in higher profile films and making better choices. He can do way better than starring alongside Nick Cannon in a generic heist thriller.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    He better not wind up in those damned Emmett Furla Oasis films or I'll have to have a serious talk with his agents.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,438
    Moost present movie i have seen with him be Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga. He playing the father of lead chacter. This was a better movie then i expect it and i must think litle bit about this movie when i see promotion of Sing 2.

I wish he do Dreamworks (Universal/Paramount) animated movie. If Warner need again older Dumbel Dore for Fantastic Beasts movie mabey something for him. He is 13 years younger then Michael Gambon.
    At least he has continued to have roles in relatively high-profile films, which is good for his career. Eurovision, Cinderella, The Foreigner, now Black Adam. I too hope Black Adam leads to better projects.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    A while ago someone on Twitter kindly sent me a copy of a Thomas the Tank Engine film with Pierce narrating, knowing it would tickle me.

I've been spending my platinum jubilee bank holiday weekend having COVID, and last night I decided a Thomas movie was about all I could cope with. And it was delightful - like having Pierce sit on my sickbed reading me a story. Thanks Pierce!

@Agent_99, funny timing there, I had no idea he ever worked on the series but I saw it myself for the first time on Friday. I thought he made for a great narrator.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Yes, he was so enthusiastic about delivering lines like "Fizzle my firebox!"
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Yes, he was so enthusiastic about delivering lines like "Fizzle my firebox!"

Yes! He put a lot of power and emotion behind the delivery of those exclamatory lines. I loved it.

I'm up to 45 films of Brosnan's logged and reviewed on Letterboxd. No idea how many I've seen total, I've only counted films on my account that I've seen since I created it on New Year's Day of 2019. I saw his Oceans documentary and The Love Punch for the first time today, they were both alright. I've certainly seen worse!
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    A while ago someone on Twitter kindly sent me a copy of a Thomas the Tank Engine film with Pierce narrating, knowing it would tickle me.

I've been spending my platinum jubilee bank holiday weekend having COVID, and last night I decided a Thomas movie was about all I could cope with. And it was delightful - like having Pierce sit on my sickbed reading me a story. Thanks Pierce!

The trailer doesn't showcase Pierce's narration, but a YouTube video allowed me to check it out. It's lively and uplifting. He even does some accents. Very cool.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm up to 45 films of Brosnan's logged and reviewed on Letterboxd. No idea how many I've seen total, I've only counted films on my account that I've seen since I created it on New Year's Day of 2019. I saw his Oceans documentary and The Love Punch for the first time today, they were both alright. I've certainly seen worse!
    Is he the actor you've seen the most films of?

For me, it's Sean Connery, with 29. Among female actors, Sigourney Weaver, with 17.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,459
    @mattjoes, he is, by a long shot. Here's my Top 10 highest watched in my stats page on Letterboxd since 2019:

Pierce Brosnan - 45
    Willem Dafoe - 20
    Shintaro Katsu - 19
    Samuel L. Jackson - 17
    Desmond Llewelyn (I wonder why...) - 17
    Takashi Shimura - 15
    Lois Maxwell (again, I wonder why...) - 14
    Saburo Date - 14
    Liam Neeson - 13
    Toshiro Mifune - 13

Letterboxd has 122 films listed for Brosnan but a lot of those are small snippet special features bits and extras that I'll never include.
    A fan of Japanese cinema, I see. Something I'll have to explore myself.

I too have seen quite a few films with Willem Dafoe, but it's easy to forget because he's often in a supporting role.

Getting back on topic, I've seen 17 Brosnan films. I look forward to the rest, wherever they might take me!
    edited June 2022 Posts: 40,459
    mattjoes wrote: »
    A fan of Japanese cinema, I see. Something I'll have to explore myself.

I too have seen quite a few films with Willem Dafoe, but it's easy to forget because he's often in a supporting role.

Getting back on topic, I've seen 17 Brosnan films. I look forward to the rest, wherever they might take me!

Absolutely! Katsu's way up there thanks to the entertaining Zatoichi series. I love those movies, I still need to finish my years-delayed marathon and see the remaining few.

Yes, Dafoe is tricky because he can pop up anywhere. He has a minor role as a hillbilly prison guard in Cry-Baby, where he appears for barely 2-3 minutes.

And yes, back on topic. Doing a quick count of Brosnan's filmography, I've seen either 62 or 63 in my lifetime (can't remember if I saw The Heist in full back in the day or not). I've got his narrated The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World documentary queued up for viewing sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: I've seen that documentary now and it was fairly solid, minus some historical inaccuracies and bizarre pronunciations of certain titles or names. Brosnan's voice is always great to hear.

I also saw The Heist (couldn't find it anywhere so had to buy the DVD) and actually really enjoyed it. It's good '80s cheese and Brosnan looks smooth in those bright, floral shirts. Great supporting cast and a pretty twisty plot, especially at the end there. It could be way worse, especially for a TV movie. I've either not seen it in so very long that I remember nothing from it or I'm mistaken and I've never seen it; I'll go with the latter.

Going to try and watch some of Murder 101 this evening. It doesn't look particularly good and it was another one I had to spend a few bucks on to get a DVD copy since I can't find it anywhere but at least I'll have finally seen another one of his.
    It's been a few days so I'll bump this. I checked out Murder 101 last night, was surprised again at how entertaining it was. Of course, it's always showing its low budget, bad script and made-for-TV quality but it kept me guessing until the final twist, even if it's only shocking and unexpected because of how impossible it is. Still, I've seen worse TV films and I've certainly seen worse out of Brosnan's filmography.
  • Agent_Zero_OneAgent_Zero_One Ireland
    It's been a few days so I'll bump this. I checked out Murder 101 last night, was surprised again at how entertaining it was. Of course, it's always showing its low budget, bad script and made-for-TV quality but it kept me guessing until the final twist, even if it's only shocking and unexpected because of how impossible it is. Still, I've seen worse TV films and I've certainly seen worse out of Brosnan's filmography.
    It's amazing what a low bar can do for these movies!
    I also saw The Heist (couldn't find it anywhere so had to buy the DVD) and actually really enjoyed it. It's good '80s cheese and Brosnan looks smooth in those bright, floral shirts. Great supporting cast and a pretty twisty plot, especially at the end there. It could be way worse, especially for a TV movie. I've either not seen it in so very long that I remember nothing from it or I'm mistaken and I've never seen it; I'll go with the latter.
    I see The Heist co-stars Mrs. Doubtfire's Robert Prosky.

The premise of this movie sounds really cool.

Bill Condon also directed one of my favorite Roger Moore films, The Man Who Wouldn't Die. Great fun.
    @Agent_Zero_One, isn't it?

@mattjoes, Prosky will forever be terrifying to me because of Thief. He's brilliant in that one and really great here.

And I noticed that Moore/Brosnan connection when I started to dig into his filmography after the film ended. It's an intriguing premise, a bit procedural and safe at times, but it was good for some occasional fun and excitement.