Who could've done a Bond theme?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Slightly blatant attempt to start a debate there :D ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    If we’re talking 70s/80s era Williams, that would be incredible.

Funny thing is that John Williams will probably NEVER do a Bond score, but even after he passes away his chances are higher than David Arnold’s.

Why, is David Arnold blackballed at Eon Productions? I don't know but I guess something must've happened for him not to have been used as composer since QoS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Going from Arnold to Newman is one of the most disappointing changes of the Craig era for me.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Going from Arnold to Newman is one of the most disappointing changes of the Craig era for me.

Yep. It felt like all the action lost it's edge with the hiring of Newman. He's okay but it's backwards step compared to Arnold
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I disagree, I thought he brought a real feel of classiness to it, but we all have different takes on it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Here’s my theory on why Arnold hasn’t been called back by Eon: There’s no animosity involved. I think like with Pierce Brosnan, they simply wanted to move onto different composers bringing their own takes on the Bond sound. Newman actually asking to be involved was what finally made Eon go there, and they have been looking elsewhere since. Newman also scoring an Oscar nomination probably did that too. They probably thought Zimmer would earn them another.

I can’t disagree with their desire to look for new composers. I love the idea of seeing new composers bringing their own voices to the Bond sound and making it a richer tapestry. It shouldn’t be left to one guy for an indefinite amount of years. John Barry was an exception because he was an exceptional composer on the level of cinematic legends like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith.

Of course, I’m not a fan of Arnold and think he’s grossly overrated by the Bond fan community. I actually do like his QOS score for the most part, and think that if it’s his last score he ever does for Bond he at least saved his best for last. But IMO he doesn’t deserve to keep scoring Bond when we have so many other and better composers out there. I already got my longtime wish fulfillment of Hans Zimmer scoring Bond. I would love to hear a score by Alberto Iglesias.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 2022 Posts: 14,861
    I think they wanted to try others yes (and Mendes had a four film history with Newman too so it wasn't a massive surprise to see them work together again); although also Mr Arnold said himself on Twitter the other day that part of the reason he hasn't done many films recently isn't for lack of offers but because that he only wants to do jobs he'll enjoy from now on. And it may well be that massive blockbusters and the pressures and slight committee atmosphere of them aren't massively enjoyable. It doesn't mean that they asked him, but it may mean that he might turn them down if they did.
    His next film is Confess, Fletch, out in a week or two.
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 2022 Posts: 4,247
    mtm wrote: »
    I think they wanted to try others yes (and Mendes had a four film history with Newman too so it wasn't a massive surprise to see them work together again); although also Mr Arnold said himself on Twitter the other day that part of the reason he hasn't done many films recently isn't for lack of offers but because that he only wants to do jobs he'll enjoy from now on. And it may well be that massive blockbusters and the pressures and slight committee atmosphere of them aren't massively enjoyable. It doesn't mean that they asked him, but it may mean that he might turn them down if they did.
    His next film is Confess, Fletch, out in a week or two.

Yes. I feel Arnold is very happy that he's done work on James Bond. Because he said John Barry, YOLT & OHMSS got him into Bond when he was growing up in Luton. I remember him saying after finishing TND's score, he didn't care if he got hit by a bus, I think because he had finally scored a Bond film, because he said he wanted to score GE, but he was told Serra had already been signed. He also said he's been asked frequently to come fully into Hollywood, but he said he is very happy in the UK and that he likes working with people he loves, even if it's not the most popular film or project in the world, so it means he has been turning down projects. He also said because at some point in life, it's going to be the last day, so him spending it with people he likes is more important to him than chasing big projects, that would require him to leave the UK. He is a simple man, it seems. It's not looking like EON would want him back, but I would be very happy to have him back. Arnold & Goldfrapp would make a very good title song for Bond 26.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I agree that exchanging Arnold for Newman was questionable. But exchanging Newman for Zimmer was even more questionable. Composing craft replaced by computer software. It would be an improvement to get back to Arnold.

Still, John Williams is the greatest movie score composer, probably EVER (caps for emphasis). At least among the surviving ones (Morricone would have been a contender), but we don't have to think about the others, really. If he truly wants to score the next Bond film, Babs and Mike better hurry, even if they have no idea about the movie itself yet. With all due respect and anxiety, John (at 90) may not be around for much longer. And that would be one of the saddest occasions in movie score history.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I agree that exchanging Arnold for Newman was questionable. But exchanging Newman for Zimmer was even more questionable. Composing craft replaced by computer software. It would be an improvement to get back to Arnold.

Zimmer is one of the best composers around, I think if I were given the choice of who to score NTTD I'd still get him if I could because of his body of work. It turned out to be fairly uninspired, and I suspect he and his team didn't get very long to work on it, but picking him was still a very solid choice and I think they were right to do it.

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    mtm wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Zimmer is one of the best composers around, I think if I were given the choice of who to score NTTD I'd still get him if I could because of his body of work. It turned out to be fairly uninspired, and I suspect he and his team didn't get very long to work on it, but picking him was still a very solid choice and I think they were right to do it.

I still think that most of what Zimmer produced sounds like it was created by his computer programs. Totally generic and replaceable by what some other computer program created, including the stuff he contributed to NTTD while not relying on what John Barry provided as cue. There is not one Zimmer theme/melody that I find worth remembering, and I couldn't really connect any of them with a certain movie. Give me any other major movie score composer any time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    You're saying he's not done anything memorable across any of his 30-odd years of scores? I mean, it's okay to say he's not one of your favourites; he's not really one of mine, but he's clearly a very talented composer and has done loads of scores which I find memorable, even if I never listen to them for pleasure. Maybe you haven't heard a lot of them?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,518
    Zimmer did Interstellar, didn't he? I thought that was a brilliant and memorable score, that easily identifies with Interstellar.
    I will say that his NTTD stuff sounded like his Batman stuff.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah Interstellar and Inception are two of his biggest in recent years and very recognisable, and I'd say something like Gladiator marks him out as one of the best.
    None of those are scores I really every listen to myself, but I can see that they are modern classics.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Corn Field Chase is a brilliant track, but otherwise, no, I don't listen to a ton of his stuff.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Rag bone Man
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I had an AI program write lyrics for a Bond song. Perhaps they can be used for Bond26? :))

"Look up and you'll see me
    I'm the man of mystery
    I'm the man with the golden touch
    I'm the man who always gets his way

I'm James Bond, I'm James Bond
    And I can have any girl I want
    And I never ever say die

I'm the man with the license to kill
    I'm the man with the world at my feet
    I'm the man who always comes out on top

And I never ever say die"
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote: »
    I had an AI program write lyrics for a Bond song. Perhaps they can be used for Bond26? :))

I'm the man of mystery

And I never ever say die

Murdock wrote: »

I'm the man of mystery

And I never ever say die

Is Iggy Pop recording it?

• edited October 2022 Posts: 784
    It seems like there is a strong correlation between the title song performer's clout and the ticket sales of the film. It might be that it is the very most important marketing tool and as such I have a very hard time seeing the producers pass on the biggest global names (like Adele or Billie Eilish) for a mid-tier artist or a lesser known, despite their artistic fit or ability.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If there ever was a band that should do a Bond theme…

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Yeah, the instrumentals are so Barry & Arnold...and of course, the singing is Bondian.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Here is another; even the name of the song could be a Bond title.

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 2022 Posts: 1,282
    Absolutely @talos7 the title is. The song is Bondian too. They could easily record a Bond theme without research.