Who could've done a Bond theme?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2023 Posts: 5,869
    The two UK artists I'd like to see do a Bond theme are Sam Fender and Jorja Smith.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 3 Posts: 14,956
    If she continues getting bigger it's easy to imagine Raye doing one.

• peterpeter Toronto
    😳 I didn't know of this artist, @mtm .... but wow... Am I imagining an Amy Winehouse vibe in the top video (mixed with enough of her own style)? She also has a classic-swing-jazz sound that I really dig!!

I have no idea about her popularity, but that kind of talent has to be in the orbit of EoN's HQ(?)....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I must admit I hadn't heard of her until recently but she's had five top ten hits here including a number 1, and has made 22 in the billboard 100 and has basically been on the way up in the last year. If she continues to get even bigger then she would seem a bit of a shoo-in for 007.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 3 Posts: 1,430
    mtm wrote: »

I was just thinking about this thread, and this is an interesting sound, I dig it. I was going to come in here hot and argue that they should really push the envelope with the music artist for the next era, do a new sound for the Bond franchise. I might even consider a breakdown to a short rap, if it's done well enough, in the style of modern dance/drill/club mixes with half a dozen artists. It'd be incredibly commercial I think.

I understand this will NOT be a popular suggestion but oh well, I have broad tastes and get bored easily. A more serious effort with this sort of approach:

Getting a great vocal artist mixed with a David-Arnold, remix sound, would really satisfy me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    LucknFate wrote: »

I was just thinking about this thread, and this is an interesting sound, I dig it. I was going to come in here hot and argue that they should really push the envelope with the music artist for the next era, do a new sound for the Bond franchise. I might even consider a breakdown to a short rap, if it's done well enough, in the style of modern dance/drill/club mixes with half a dozen artists. It'd be incredibly commercial I think.

I have nothing against the idea of a Bond theme with a bit more of an urban sound even as far as rap (we had reggae in a Bond song 50 years ago, after all!), but I must admit I quite like the way that Raye mixes a classical R&B soul vibe with a more contemporary urban feel, even some spoken sections bordering on rap at times. I can imagine her being the next Adele, certainly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While I'm hoping for a high octane song in the spirit of View to a Kill or You Know My Name, I would not be disappointed if she landed the gig; she is fantastic. I just don't want another moody ballad for the next film .
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I would still love Lana Del Rey to do one.

Other names/bands I would also throw into the hat are London Grammar, Wolf Alice and Jorja Smith.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    talos7 wrote: »
    While I'm hoping for a high octane song in the spirit of View to a Kill or You Know My Name, I would not be disappointed if she landed the gig; she is fantastic. I just don't want another moody ballad for the next film .

I think Billy Eilish was an inspired choice at the perfect time but strongly agree that we need to move to a different sound going forward. To be fair though it is hard to argue that, from an impact/audience perspective, the Craig era nailed its music save for one song, I trust they know what they're doing in that regard. But they did get stuck in a formula by the last 3 of Craig's.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 4 Posts: 14,956
    Yes, I'm not a music person but I believe from Skyfall onwards they all used the same chord structure (is that right?). Certainly I remember trying to sing NTTD to myself when I'd only heard it a couple of times and accidentally veering into WOTW or even SF itself.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Moyka https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moyka_(singer)

Born in year of Tomorrow Never Dies.

Moyka-Mirrorball-Photo-by-Sara-Westergaard-Karlsen.jpg

Moyka-Album_V3_5000px.jpg

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Raye won six BRIT awards last night. EON have their sights set I'm sure haha :D

Definitely one day, but after 3 ballads it's time for along the lines of Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill and You Know my name.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Definitely one day, but after 3 ballads it's time for along the lines of Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill and You Know my name.
    For that kind of sound I'll always suggest Sam Fender:
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Not bad...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    For that kind of sound I'll always suggest Sam Fender:

Has he got his fingers on the fender?
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited March 18 Posts: 4,442
    Club cheval

Include Gunbarrel reference.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    The thing I like about Raye as an option is her ability to flip between genres. I think she could offer up a range of Bond themes. I think she has the potential to reach the heights of Bassey if given half the chance.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    She seems the natural choice if she would be up for it.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Raye would be a great choice. She has a lovely voice
    Down the line, absolutely, but I really don’t want another ballad just yet. I want the new bond to start with more energy.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Yeah, I'd like The Pretty Reckless to tackle a Bong theme.

"25" sounds like a deliberate Bond audition, right down to using the phrase "die another day" in the lyrics. Perhaps not the best film to namecheck, though!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Yeah, I'd like The Pretty Reckless to tackle a Bong theme.

"25" sounds like a deliberate Bond audition, right down to using the phrase "die another day" in the lyrics. Perhaps not the best film to namecheck, though!

Yep, I can definitely hear how it sounds like a Bond audition. That guitar and the dramatic build up feels very Bondian

We need another uptempo Bond song again, it's been too long
    [quote="J
    We need another uptempo Bond song again, it's been too long[/quote]

Yes!
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited April 3 Posts: 726
    You Know My Name is my favourite from the Craig years. I do like the slower atmospheric songs, but I'd like them to alternate with faster, rockier numbers like YKMN or Live and Let Die.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited April 4 Posts: 1,368

Goldfrapp is long due a Bond theme. I find this track, Stranger more Bondianly emotional than Billie Eilish's Bond theme. If NTTD really went for the dirge it thought it was, this Goldfrapp track would have really worked.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's lovely.
    It's lovely.

Yeah, it is @mtm very Bondianly haunting too.

This is a cool Bond theme that will never be. Goldfrapp can do a Bond theme in their sleep.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    That's wonderful; I'm not familiar with that one. I saw them at the Albert Hall with full orchestra a few years back- it was excellent.

It's not a very original idea but I've always thought Lovely Head sounds very Bondy too.